It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Forces Pulling Out of Japans East Coast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
classic.cnbc.com...

CNBC is reporting that the Navy and Air Force is pulling back from assisting the Japanese due to the fallout of radiation. This comes at a time when assistance in cooling the reactors down is critical. My guess is that what they really mean is the s*&^t is about to hit the fan and when it does it is possible that the reactors may spew high levels of radiation into the atmosphere. That radiation could make its way to our western shores in a fairly short period of time. Remember the balloon bombs during WW2 that found their way into the midwest?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Dissipation.

Balloon bombs cannot dissipate, radioactive clouds can.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sentinel007

Wow! I think that they are not telling us the whole truth about the situation. I think that they know if they did, they would send the whole world into a panic because it will affect the whole world!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I feel the MSM is seriously watering down any and all reports about how much radiation is leaking from these damaged reactors. The military pulling out though is a tell-tale sign that things either already are, or are about to get much worse than the reports indicate. Whether that radiation will reach our shores is anybodys' guess, but your heart really has to go out to those poor citizens of Japan. They have been through enough, yet somehow I feel the worst is yet to come.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This is referring to the ships moving from 60 miles to 100 miles off of coast . See here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also , the cnbc headline is deceptive . The US forces are not leaving .
edit on 14-3-2011 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I have heard rumor that this particular type of radiation doesn't last long outside the reactor.
Yes, I heard that. Where did I hear that?
Well I heard that from a "know it all" on youtube, and I'm too confused about all the technical criteria regarding radiation to check for myself.
What this means is that I am hoping that if I ignore it, then perhaps it will go away.
Honestly when it comes to this reactor issue everyone is a bloody "expert". To many chiefs not enough Indians, and because if that who could possibly disseminate fact from fiction.
So as of now it is a wildly believed rumor that radiation may or may not be dangerous to the human animal...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Actually I have a friend over there and her family is USAF and she said many people are actually over there helping. They are concerned about the radiation but they are still trying to help as much as they can.

I do worry about all involved over there and hope they at least get some protection from it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Radiation is indeed dangerous. The reactor in Japan uses MOX fuel which you can google. If it melts down and explodes (sending the radioactive dust into the atmosphere) we might have something to worry about.

The fact is, we don't have the facts. Nothing but conflicting reports.

"No radiation leak"
"Venting radioactive steam"
"No radiation leak"
"17 Americans with radiation poisoning"
"No radiation leak"
"US Navy pulling ships back after detecting radiation 100 miles out at sea"
"No meltdown"
"Fuel rods exposed"
"Fuel rods contained"

A few facts do remain though:

several explosions
Pumping seawater over fuel rods as there is no coolant left (which they consider exposed)

There are as many reasons to believe they have this under control as there are that we are facing multiple meltdowns. If you have to be wrong, wouldn't you rather be wrong AND protected?

And before someone mentions it, no, they were NOT up front about Chernobyl, they denied it, hide it, then tried to minimize the dangers as the disaster took place.

Also as this keeps coming up in other threads:

Soap and water do not cure radiation poisoning. Once you are irradiated, it's done. What soap and water CAN do is remove radioactive particles from your skin and clothing. Yes, you can look at fallout as a plague and those affected as "infected" until they are decontaminated, they are spreading radioactive material over everything.

Potassium Iodide, as well, doesn't cure a damn thing. What it does do, however, is inhibit your thyroid from in taking iodine that will give you cancer. It's not going to stop radiation from ripping through your body, but it's going to stop your body from getting (or reduce your chances) some cancers. It's something you need to take BEFORE exposure.

There's a lot of fear mongering going on, and it's sad, because a lot of people are coming here scared and confused and aren't necessarily getting the FACTS, they are getting a lot of assumptions and half baked ideas. This is a situation we need to watch, but not hype. You need to be prepared, but this is far from the end of the world.

Isotopes decay, the ones created in these reactors decay FAST. As well, it would take something large, another hydrogen explosion, to put enough into the air to pose a threat to anyone not in asia. With that, radioactive dust particles disperse in the atmosphere reducing the levels.

If these clouds get into the trade winds they could make landfall in 6-8 days on the west coast of north america. IF they get put up there and don't disperse.

edit on 14-3-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
How likely is it that this fallout will reach new york city? very likely? already happening?

Is it just blanketing the whole US?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by cloudwatcher

True that we are all about to get a nice dose of radiationNothing we can do but protect ourselves. Make sure you have potassioum tabs ready.

Good luck all

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I am not sure what the life is on this type of radiation, but Fox News is reporting that the radiation releases may now go on for months. Not to mention that they are expecting another quake or aftershock at any time now. This could spell the end for the already damaged reactors. This has been one hell of a start for 2011.

nation.foxnews.com...
edit on 14-3-2011 by sentinel007 because: Forgot to provide link.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Error on the side of caution is exactly right.
I have already told my family in the states to be prepared.........just in case. After all what harm can it cause?

But..
U.S. warships and planes helping Japan's earthquake and tsunami relief efforts have moved away from the country's Pacific coast temporarily because of low-level radiation from a stricken nuclear power plant, the U.S. Navy said on Monday. The U.S. Seventh Fleet, in a statement, described the move as precautionary measure.

So it seems people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Yes I know it is a potentially serious issue, but I think people are wanting on some base level a disaster to happen. Probably so the ATS DOOM MACHINE can find a level of vindication I suppose.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by iversusvsversusi

There is no "Fallout" as of yet. If there is a meltdown, and the conditions I outlined in the post above are met, it could hit the WEST coast in 6 days. NY is on the east coast, and I seriously doubt any significant amounts would make it that far over. Maybe if some wind current took it up north and then down the middle maybe.

If you check:

RadiationNetwork

You can get info on radiation levels updated every 3 minutes. Actually, one of the areas near New York is rating a 42 which is already pretty darned high!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by iversusvsversusi
How likely is it that this fallout will reach new york city? very likely? already happening?

Is it just blanketing the whole US?

good luck usa

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by iversusvsversusi

The normal jet stream would bring it to California , across the us and up into Michigan. This has not happened yet. Also ,so far the radiation levels are fairly low.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Quite right, makes me wonder how all the predictors on here missed this one. I mean, we've got moon predictions, megaquake on madrid faults, supermoon, elinin, nibiru, H.A.A.R.P., but no one predicted this epic disaster.

Seriously. Megaquake, tsunami, nuclear disaster. And no one predicted this? How many 2012 predictions have I read this month alone, but no one nailed the biggest even this year? Wow.

No alien transmission from the galactic federation about this?

Be prepared but don't lose your mind people, if TSHTF you NEED your head about you or it's over.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sentinel007

Indeed.
But haven't they been having after shocks nonstop since the event?
Most on the order of 5.0 magnitude, what level are they to expect that can be even close to what they have experienced recently?
Admittedly this is news to me so I was unaware that they may be expecting company in the form of shaking ground. Is this earthquake suppose to flatten cities or is it merely considered trimmer material?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The fallout from above ground nuclear weapons tests, Chernobyl and now this end up encircling the Earth, in the end. It is dissipated and diluted, but in the case of plutonium that is found in the MOX fuel they have been using in Japan, it is long lasting and dangerous.

The alpha radiation plutonium emits does not penetrate the skin but can irradiate internal organs when plutonium is inhaled or ingested.[32] The skeleton, where plutonium is absorbed by the bone surface, and the liver, where it collects and becomes concentrated, are at risk.[31] Plutonium is not absorbed into the body efficiently when ingested; only 0.04% of plutonium oxide is absorbed after ingestion.[32] What plutonium is absorbed into the body is excreted very slowly, with a biological half-life of 200 years.[88] Plutonium passes only slowly through cell membranes and intestinal boundaries, so absorption by ingestion and incorporation into bone structure proceeds very slowly.[89][90] Plutonium is more dangerous when inhaled than when ingested. The risk of lung cancer increases once the total dose equivalent of inhaled radiation exceeds 400 mSv.[91] The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that the lifetime cancer risk for inhaling 5,000 plutonium particles, each about 3 microns wide, to be 1% over the background U.S. average.[92] Ingestion or inhalation of large amounts may cause acute radiation poisoning and death; no human is known to have died because of inhaling or ingesting plutonium, and many people have measurable amounts of plutonium in their bodies.[87]

Wiki plutonium

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

www.newsonjapan.com...

Kyodo news states that there is a 70% chance of Japan experiencing a quake of a magnitude 7 or greater within the next three days. They go on to state that there is a 50% chance of another in the following three days. Not great news at all.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
This is all very concerning.... but lets not forget the Nukes we dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945, which emitted Radiation levels far exceeding what we are seeing from the reactors. Our west coast was fine then and will be fine now.
Preparation is important, so having these supplements available to you is definitely a must. Although, getting worked up and/or creating fear over a non-issue, is senseless. Everyone take a deep breath and relax, conserve all of that energy for something that may or may not happen right in your back yard.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join