It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unions Threaten Business

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Unions continue to act like thugs.

Here we actually have the the police and fire unions threatening a business if they won't support the unions against the Wisconsin governor.

Now they don't specifically say the following, but it's happened in the past when businesses refused to pay for "protection". Not hard to imagine how this will go down if the businesses say no. Someone breaks in and the police don't show up. Or there is a fire and the firemen "somehow" don't get the alarm.

source

In the event that you cannot support this effort to save collective bargaining,
please be advised that the undersigned will publicly and formally boycott the
goods and services provided by your company. However, if you join us, we will
do everything in our power to publicly celebrate your partnership in the fight to
preserve the right of public employees to be heard at the bargaining table.
Wisconsin’s public employee unions serve to protect and promote equality and
fairness in the workplace. We hope you will stand with us and publicly share that
ideal.

In the event you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact the
executive Director of the Wisconsin Professional Police Association, Jim Palmer,
at 608.273.3840.

Thank you in advance for your consideration. We look forward to hearing from
you soon.

James L. Palmer, Executive Director
Wisconsin Professional Police Association
Mahlon Mitchell,President
Professional Fire Fighters
Jim Conway, President
International Association of Fire Fighters Local 311
John Matthews, Executive Director
Madison Teachers, Inc.
Keith Patt, Executive Director
Green Bay Education Association
Bob Richardson, President
Dane County Deputy Sheriffs Association
Dan Frei, President
Madison Professional Police Officers Association

edit on 12-3-2011 by Skyfloating because: all caps title removed

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
These Unions are terrible aren't they. I mean big business wouldn't try anything like this would it?

I think unions should be abolished with immediate effect, workers have no rights, everyone to work at least 80+, everybody receive minimum wage and be thankful that there are loving organisations willing to employ such plebs.

Who do the people think they are for goodness sake!!
edit on 18/02/2011 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
To really put this into context IMO, you have to look at which unions are making the threats.

It's police, sheriffs, fire and teachers. The first three are charged with protecting people and property. If "for some reason" they fail to do their jobs, who are you going to call, the police?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Walker never threatened the Police of Firefighters. It sounds like the are taking a stand for the other unions.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Yes I agree there should be laws brought in in order to stop people boycotting companies. How are these poor corporations supposed to make a big fat profit if this kind of thing happens.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I just posted a "Union" thread the other day, here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It threatens business as far as profits are involved.

See Marshall & Ilsley

Without Unions, there would be less freedom in this world.

And boycotting has nothing to do with racketeering. They just want to protect their rights.

But if you imply that Unions should follow some rules to prevent abuses, then I would agree. Here in QC,Canada, there is a law protecting the essential services(to the people) in case of a strike.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Here is another good reason why it is not OK to have unionized city county state or federal workers:

www.outsidethebeltway.com...

It appears that the huge problems that New York City has had in digging out from last weekend’s blizzard were the result of a union work stoppage motivated by a fight between the City and the Sanitation Workers Union:

They are getting their salaries from taxpayer funds. Not to mention those who died or suffered because of it.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

This looks to be true. There are multiple sources reporting this same activity.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.csnews.com...

Talk about sore losers and shameful behavior. This union leaders are extortionist and thieves at best. They have been robbing the public with the help of the government for years. Now that they lost that power, they are going to go back to extorting businesses directly.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I felt a need to respond to your thread as I have been a union member in three different unions and an officer in one.
I couldn't agree more with your post. The unions I have been a member of have done nothing but take my money and provide me with nothing in return, unless you want to mention the betrayal of their principles.
The only people I have seen benefit from being in a union are the screw ups who are too incompetent to survive without having some one to protect them. The high level officers benefit by taking the money of the rank and file and living high while giving nothing in return. Unions can't get into any workplace where the management treats the worker well. I have worked in a place where the unions have tried to get in for decades, but can't, cause the people in charge treat the workers very well.
Once there was a good reason for unions, but for the most part that time is gone.Today all they do is cost us all too much money.I think that the public unions are the most useless of all. People working in the public sector get benefits that no one in the private sector recieve. I believe that this is one of the problems with the government today.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Unions continue to act like thugs.

Here we actually have the the police and fire unions threatening a business if they won't support the unions against the Wisconsin governor.

Now they don't specifically say the following, but it's happened in the past when businesses refused to pay for "protection". Not hard to imagine how this will go down if the businesses say no. Someone breaks in and the police don't show up. Or there is a fire and the firemen "somehow" don't get the alarm.

source

In the event that you cannot support this effort to save collective bargaining,
please be advised that the undersigned will publicly and formally boycott the
goods and services provided by your company. However, if you join us, we will
do everything in our power to publicly celebrate your partnership in the fight to
preserve the right of public employees to be heard at the bargaining table.
Wisconsin’s public employee unions serve to protect and promote equality and
fairness in the workplace. We hope you will stand with us and publicly share that
ideal.

In the event you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact the
executive Director of the Wisconsin Professional Police Association, Jim Palmer,
at 608.273.3840.

Thank you in advance for your consideration. We look forward to hearing from
you soon.

James L. Palmer, Executive Director
Wisconsin Professional Police Association
Mahlon Mitchell,President
Professional Fire Fighters
Jim Conway, President
International Association of Fire Fighters Local 311
John Matthews, Executive Director
Madison Teachers, Inc.
Keith Patt, Executive Director
Green Bay Education Association
Bob Richardson, President
Dane County Deputy Sheriffs Association
Dan Frei, President
Madison Professional Police Officers Association

Are you numb? Boycotts are the ONLY peaceful way to have an effect on the system. Money talks and it is theirs to do with as they please. I think you are being deceptive when you associate boycotting with protection schemes.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
These Unions are terrible aren't they. I mean big business wouldn't try anything like this would it?

I think unions should be abolished with immediate effect, workers have no rights, everyone to work at least 80+, everybody receive minimum wage and be thankful that there are loving organisations willing to employ such plebs.

If there turns out to be injuries and/or property loss over this then I will totally agree with you that unions need to be abolished.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

If there turns out to be injuries and/or property loss over this then I will totally agree with you that unions need to be abolished.

What a great idea! Then the companies can pay everyone min. wage, abolish retirement, safe working conditions and make even more profit for the stockholders. Let the job related injuries be the fault of the workers. Brilliant plan!!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
I felt a need to respond to your thread as I have been a union member in three different unions and an officer in one.
I couldn't agree more with your post. The unions I have been a member of have done nothing but take my money and provide me with nothing in return, unless you want to mention the betrayal of their principles.
The only people I have seen benefit from being in a union are the screw ups who are too incompetent to survive without having some one to protect them. The high level officers benefit by taking the money of the rank and file and living high while giving nothing in return. Unions can't get into any workplace where the management treats the worker well. I have worked in a place where the unions have tried to get in for decades, but can't, cause the people in charge treat the workers very well.
Once there was a good reason for unions, but for the most part that time is gone.Today all they do is cost us all too much money.I think that the public unions are the most useless of all. People working in the public sector get benefits that no one in the private sector recieve. I believe that this is one of the problems with the government today.

I too was a member of two unions - one private sector and 1 public sector - and all I saw was waste due to "work rules" that said,for example, they had to put 4 people on a job that only needed one or two people to accomplish. For example, several times my "job" was to sweep the floor of a large room no one used for my 8 hour shift. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that one person could have swept the room in less than 30 minutes maybe once a week. But no, the union contract said ...

Multiply that by the number of union members. It is this kind of waste that must be stopped in order to balance the budgets.
edit on 3/12/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
Are you numb? Boycotts are the ONLY peaceful way to have an effect on the system. Money talks and it is theirs to do with as they please. I think you are being deceptive when you associate boycotting with protection schemes.

If it stays at just boycotts, then I have no problem with peaceful protests.

The point I made in the OP was what if the police and fire unions decide to take it further into "boycotting" a business when there is a crime or a fire? As I said it's happened before.

And there have been those published pro-union death threats agains Republican legislators in Wisconsin. Obviously pro-union people who would resort to violence and law breaking are out there. What if they are also the police and firemen?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I'm with you on this one.I've been in public and private too. Truthfully I don't see much difference. One thing I don't like is they force you to join even if you object to joining. This is discrimination. If you don't join you lose your job.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

What a great idea! Then the companies can pay everyone min. wage, abolish retirement, safe working conditions and make even more profit for the stockholders. Let the job related injuries be the fault of the workers. Brilliant plan!!

Straw man argument. No one has said anything of the sort.

Besides, there are already plenty of worker protection laws on the books to keep any of that from happening.

And yes, many of those laws came about because of unions - back in the past when unions really were a good thing for their members. Before union practices made labor costs so high that many of their member's jobs were shipped overseas and governments couldn't balance their budgets.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Ahem, THIS IS EXACTLY WHY PUBLIC SERVICE PROFESSIONS SHOULD NOT UNIONIZE!!!!!

Sorry, didn't mean to shout. But if this is what happens when there are issues with public service unions, then it is a clear example of why they shouldn't be unionized in the first place. If they want to hold the public hostage for their own ends, then it is time to abolish said public unions.

I, for one, am disgusted by their continued behaviour.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Just get rid of the business and the unions will also follow, business is a concept dervied from the notion of trading using a monitary concept of money. Is the concept natually real, no It only a represent function If collaspe were to occur everything comes to a stand still. and than you realize that it is not real. you live a super imposed life, unaware as your born ignorant to it. If I skip the part in life showing that part of secondhand knowledge effects and causes you will continue on without evening question it,
Your super imposed life, is your survival, you think and feel any type of collase as life threating, the fear of everything around your life is being threatened, in the end it is derived concept.

Is there a better way to live yes, then why are you not living it?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

Hello again ohioriver. Sources I've read explain that those claims are urban myth. More likely propaganda spread by anti union sources. I would guide youto them but it would take me as long to find them as it would you if you are interested. Could you pass on your sources to me if you have them handy?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join