It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMERGENCY! report from TWITTER - Nuclear power plant - attempts to save plant STOPPED

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Well if it does go just keep a eye on the jet stream...

2nd line

Jet sream maps

Map shows some locations
RSOE EDIS
edit on 12-3-2011 by Oklastatefan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
More headlines:

On the Russian Television News Channel, the Breaking News Alert on the screen states:

40 Year Old Nuke Plant Looks Set For Worst Case Scenario.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Nikolam

Do you have a link please?

You say it's a Russian news info - but - where is the nuclear plant? How old is it? Is this a recent article, etc.

Just too many questions to ask and really, please, just supply a link.

peace

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Its on television. The channel is called Russian Television

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Not good...

Live blog: Japan earthquake

3:04pm
Japanese nuclear authorities say there is a high possibility that nuclear fuel rods at a reactor at Tokyo Electric Power Company's (TEPC) Fukushima Daiichi plant may be melting or have melted, Jiji news agency reports.

Experts have said that if the fuel rods have been damaged, it means that it could develop into a breach of the nuclear reactor vessel and the question then becomes one of how strong the containment structure around the vessel is and whether it has been undermined by the earthquake – and if it can withstand the likely aftershocks.

Just minutes ago.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

posted this earlier in this thread as far as location goes:

www.world-nuclear-news.org...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Back then, Chernobyl terrified me...the possibilities concerning this are just so much worse. Of course the media will attempt to corral panic, but in any event this is not a favorable development for life on this planet. I can only hope that this information in incomplete and overstated.
My gut reaction is that it's not. Peace to us all.

link   
reply to post by silo13

re is an article on the station's website. Not sure when it was published...don't know what time zone they are going by.

Possible nuclear disaster looming over Japan
rt.com...

link   
reply to post by westcoast

PLEASE...Does anyone know what a full-blown melt-down means?????? What would happen?

The 'China Syndrome' refers to the most drastically severe meltdown a nuclear reactor could possibly achieve. In this case, the reactor would reach the highest level of supercriticality for a sustained period of time, resulting in the melting of its support infrastructure (meltdown). The uranium in the core would behave in a similar manner to a delta-class fire, self-sustaining temperatures in excess of 2000°C. Since these temperatures would melt all materials around it, the reactor would sink due to gravity, effectively boring a hole through the reactor compartment's floor...

The China syndrome becomes fictional in the hypothesis of it boring a hole from the United States to China, or any other part of the world
source

Presumably from there continue straight down through the earth...

I can't even begin to speculate after that... But I think the movie and popular theory creates fear mongering.

Facts seem to point out:

Most obviously it is impossible because the Earth's gravity would only pull it towards the core of the planet and no further. Furthermore, were the molten reactor fuel to reach the planetary mantle, the actual environmental effect would likely be low; the radioactive material would disperse by convection throughout the mantle, which is in any case kept liquid by natural nuclear decay. However, it is likely that the uranium core would not exceed more than 10 meters of 'boring' due to natural passive safety. The surrounding ground beneath the reactor would absorb the heat and transfer it conductivity to the surrounding area, thus preventing the ground directly beneath the core from 'melting'

But in reality do we really know for sure? I don't know.

peace

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Not good...

Live blog: Japan earthquake

3:04pm
Japanese nuclear authorities say there is a high possibility that nuclear fuel rods at a reactor at Tokyo Electric Power Company's (TEPC) Fukushima Daiichi plant may be melting or have melted, Jiji news agency reports.

Experts have said that if the fuel rods have been damaged, it means that it could develop into a breach of the nuclear reactor vessel and the question then becomes one of how strong the containment structure around the vessel is and whether it has been undermined by the earthquake – and if it can withstand the likely aftershocks.

Just minutes ago.

Thank you. My next question then, is if it isn't strong enough and can't contain it, what happens? A nuclear detonation? Would this be the equivelant of an atom bomb?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Just saw this on FOX. Looks like five reactors now in danger.

TOKYO – Japan declared states of emergency for five nuclear reactors at two power plants after the units lost cooling ability in the aftermath of Friday's powerful earthquake. Thousands of residents were evacuated as workers struggled to get the reactors under control to prevent meltdowns. Operators at the Fukushima Daiichi plant's Unit 1 scrambled ferociously to tamp down heat and pressure inside the reactor after the 8.9 magnitude quake and the tsunami that followed cut off electricity to the site and disabled emergency generators, knocking out the main cooling system. An official with Japan's nuclear safety commission says that a meltdown at nuclear power plant affected by the country's massive earthquake is possible. Ryohei Shiomi said Saturday that officials were checking whether a meltdown had taken place at the Fukushima Dai-ichi power plant, which had lost cooling ability in the aftermath of Friday's powerful earthquake.

www.foxnews.com...#

link   
Ok so say (God forbid) this does happen.... what are the precautions the average Joe can take? Iodine pills? Lead vests? what can be "McGuyver'd" in a jiffy to prevent radiation poisoning?

What should ATS'ers who are paying attention to this do right now to get ahead of the MSM sheep once everyone wake up in the morning and watches the news?

... most of us have 24 hour Walmarts nearby!

link   

Originally posted by QueSeraSera
Back then, Chernobyl terrified me...the possibilities concerning this are just so much worse. Of course the media will attempt to corral panic, but in any event this is not a favorable development for life on this planet. I can only hope that this information in incomplete and overstated.
My gut reaction is that it's not. Peace to us all.

You guys are starting to freak me out. I am a complete nube here.

What are we really talking about here? Huge atomic explosions that send up material into the atmosphere and spreads around the world? Nuclear holicast or what?????

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

Thank you. My next question then, is if it isn't strong enough and can't contain it, what happens? A nuclear detonation? Would this be the equivelant of an atom bomb?

No, it will not explode like an atom bomb, but once the containment structure is breached radiation and radioactive particulates will be released. How much is a complete unknown.

There is zero possibility of a "nuclear detonation" here.

Good possibility of a meltdown.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Wow, gotta keep an eye and ear out on this one. Gotta stay calm no matter what, we can't allow us or others to lose their cool. I have alot of family along the coast. All I can say is I hope the reactors are gained control of. But then, we still do not know what size/types of tremors may come not too far in the future. I myself am going to keep my head and know that it was humankind in the first place that creates such dangerous things. Maybe someday we will learn (before it is completely all lost).
I pray for those people in Japan. they must be very frightened right about now.
As far as nuclear fallout is concerned, is their any data on the chernobyl? Or was the chernobyl a different type of situation. Yeah, definately the jet streams will carry alot of stuff.

I saw on a site somewhere a time back on what to do in regards to nuclear fallout. I will post if if I can remember where to find it.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

No, the nuclear material isnt weaponized, so it would not have the same explosive effects of an atomic bomb. However, the release of radiation would create an uninhabitable zone for miles in every direction. Anyone in the area would be subject to radiation poisoning, which can lead to death if they are subjected to enough of the radiation. Long term effects would be cancer clusters, birth defects, etc. If you want to learn more about it, read up on the Chernobyl disaster from 1986.

Here is the wiki article about Chernobyl:
en.wikipedia.org...

link   

Well normally a meltdown the radiation can be stopped by the containment building by design but with the quakes shaking those things who knows whats left of em? That is my understanding anyway. If the containment buildings are breached then radiation will escape the reactor and who knows what will come of it all. Nothing good I can tell you that.

link   

Nuclear meltdown: race to save reactors in Japan

UPDATE: 21:47 PST: Meltdown underway at Reactor #1: twitter.com...#!/dicklp

Fukushima fuel cores are melting at 2000C and dropping onto steel floor. Steel melts at 1500C. Could still be brought under control, but Four other Fukushima nuke reactors are struggling with similar problem. If multiple meltdown begins, it will be uncontrollable.

Nuclear reactor coolant systems are running on batteries, and the coolant has reached the boiling point. Extremely critical situation currently at several earthquake affected nuclear reactors. Officials are concerned that a Three Mile Island 1979 meltdown could happen here. Reuters Link

From the LA Times:

Conditions appear to be worsening at a nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture in northeastern Japan, according to local media.

The Kyodo news agency reported that the cooling system has failed at three reactors of Fukushima No. 2 nuclear power plant. The coolant water’s temperature had reached boiling temperature, the agency reported, citing the power plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power.

The cooling system failure at the No. 2 power plant came after officials were already troubled by the failure of the emergency cooling system at the Fukushima No. 1 plant, which officials feared could cause a meltdown.
wattsupwiththat.com...

link   

Originally posted by westcoast
My next question then, is if it isn't strong enough and can't contain it, what happens?

The best explanation: China Syndrome

Essentially we have a runaway reaction that has turned into a blob of radio-active goo nearly as hot as the surface of the sun. If that gets through the containment and burns through to a water table, the resulting explosion could be very large (not nuclear large), but the fallout and radioactivity thrown into the atmosphere *could* be as intense as a nuclear bomb.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Ok, found it!
here is the link. I do not know for sure how reliable the info is but it is something.

www.zetatalk.com...

docs.zetatalk.com...
(this one talks about nuclear war, but regardless, there is still some kind of fallout.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join