It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome: Wisconsin Firefighters Shut Down Bank That Funded Walker

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I know everyone is very concerned about the people in Japan right now, but I thought I could share a little refreshing news as well.

Everybody knows the GOP's biggest weakness is money, so why not hit 'em in the sweet spot? That's what many amazing Wisconsin firefighters did yesterday when they collectively began withdrawing their funds from Madison's M&I Bank -- whose executives and board members were among the highest donors to Governor Scott Walker's campaign. Heeding a call by Firefighters Local 311 President Joe Conway to 'Move your money,' union members withdrew over $100,000 from the bank, with some reports stating that number is as high as $192,000. Either way, it was a hefty enough chunk of change that M&I shut its doors and closed for the day at 3PM.

Read the rest HERE

I wish people would realize that we can really upset the apple cart if we wish too. It really isnt all that hard. This is just a small scale. A tiny drop in the bucket, but look how just a mere $100,000.00 shut down a bank. Imagine that on a grander scale??? The possibilities are endless my fellow Americans. We DO have the Means to take back our country.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
No one has the right to demand more and more tax money.

They can pull all the whiny tactics they want. Gov. Walker did the right thing in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Just to add a side note, if you read the article, you will see they actually got it up to $600,000.00.Good for them

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

They can pull all the whiny tactics they want. Gov. Walker did the right thing in my opinion.

You are most certainly entitled to your opinion on that small point. For myself though, I like to look at the bigger picture and think about just what the banks would do if we all pulled out and said enough is enough. Get it right for the people or have nothing to get at all. I myself am tiredof being screwed over by the banks with all their extra little fines and fees for this that and the other just for starters. The list is endless of what they do to us.No sense going on and on about that part as we all have a pretty good clue that we are not being served in our own best interest.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I do not think this about right or wrong. It is about proving the point that WE ALL can do something and closing our accounts at an offending bank can make them go into damage control. It also proves the point that a group of people can do something about it, if they want to. Now, if the rest of the people throughout the US would close their accounts at the major banks, the banks will feel it.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This is meaningless.

Banks keep a certain amount of cash on hand each day. When low, they order more. 200k is nothing to a bank whose parent company has assets of 4+ billion.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Banks are not free money machines.

Not every bank in the US was involved in the bailouts. I personally support boycotting any bank that took TARP funds(exempting those that were FORCED to take them regardless of their fiscal health).

But that isn't the point of why these firefighters did this.

I got to watch first hand what the firefighters union did here in Reno, even to the point of physically threatening city council members over their extremely lucrative deals. Deals they simply didn't deserve for the amount of actual work they do here.

I'm for punishing the guilty, not punishing everyone collectively just because it's a bank or because the person or persons are rich.

What about anyone else who had accounts at this bank? Are their funds going to be available? Or do the ends justify the means here?

This is why collective punishment doesn't work.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

What about anyone else who had accounts at this bank? Are their funds going to be available? Or do the ends justify the means here?

This is why collective punishment doesn't work.

That is the banks problem.

This is how the "system" kind of works, to play on our sympathies so that we remain docile in order not to "harm" or have "collateral damage" of the innocents. We are not talking life or death here either, just some worthless paper really.

edit on 11-3-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

So I guess the ends justify the means then?

Screw everyone else as long as the unions get their way?

Yep

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

May I ask you a hypothetical question? How would you feel about this if we took the Union part out of this equation? I mean just what if all the people decided to do this with no other thought about it except they are po'ed and had enough. Nothing to do with the union issues at all?

edit on 11-3-2011 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Skewed

So I guess the ends justify the means then?

Screw everyone else as long as the unions get their way?

Yep

I cannot stand unions either, in fact I have always said that if I ever owned a company and a union came in, I would shut the company down and move it and start all over somewhere else.

That said,
I am focusing on the bigger picture, the effect of a group of peoples actions toward something they did not believe in, that's what this country needs, whether I like unions or not. I can not make distinctions like that when these actions are exactly what America needs on a much larger scale.

As I see it, if the country itself was running the way it should be, Wisconsin would not be having this problem to begin with. Wisconsin is only an arm of the hydra, the country is the head.
edit on 11-3-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

That depends on whether this bank is responsible for any malfeasance.

I've already made that clear.

The fact remains that we have a GOVERNMENT complicit in the cover up and continued looting of the American tax payer by the big banks. Does this mean we should be punishing the banks that are not engaged in malfeasance?

But you cannot separate the basis of this story. Context is important.

Screwing other people over because one wants to prove a point is not a good thing no matter how one wants to spin it.

edit on 11-3-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

That depends on whether this bank is responsible for any malfeasance.

I've already made that clear.

The fact remains that we have a GOVERNMENT complicit in the cover up and continued looting of the American tax payer by the big banks. Does this mean we should be punishing the banks that are not engaged in malfeasance?

No, I wouldnt say that. I am definitely thinking along the lines of the big boys. The ones who do deserve it. Since most of them hold the majority of the mess we are in and the big bucks. I wouldnt be happy with hurting the innocent at all.
I just like the fact that this one small little move has shown it can be done.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Sure, it can be done. But at who's expense?

They think they're hurting the republicans when, in fact, all they're doing is causing chaos.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

They think they're hurting the republicans when, in fact, all they're doing is causing chaos.

The worse that happened to "everyone else" is that they were inconvenienced, something else the people of this country needs a little more of in order to see that that is necessary to make things happen. So what if they could not cash their check, its not the end of the world. With a little ingenuity, they will work it out and keep on keeping on. Roll with the punches.

A little chaos is a good thing.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Well, in the Big picture most of this mess has been created at Our expense dont you think? Those big banks havent given a fiddlers strum to what Chaos they have created for us and our pockets. Forget the politics, forget the unions, forget all that. Just the brass tacks here for now. What would another day or two of Chaos mean to us the little people if it meant we might actually get some of our true rights back and thieves out of our pockets? Might be nice if they actually felt some Chaos for a change. A new or real reality for them to consider and have to deal with. After all they made this mess to begin with. We are at fault for letting it get this out of hand.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Yaaay the firefighters hurt the members of their community who bank there.
I'm glad that all the UNION firefighters have fat bank accounts... hmmm where'd that money come from? Oh yeah the members of their local community who pay taxes.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I see the purpose of your post,
does not look as if anyone else does.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
In the grand scheme of things $600,000 is the cost of a nice house for which the bank probably has hundreds if not thousands of loans for. If the firefighters were smart they'd exchange all of that cash for precious metals or food. There acted on behalf of the union so I'm guessing that are not smart.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I see the point too.

I just don't agree with it. Within context as presented in the article, and in the context of the OPs presentation.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join