It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 945.htm
<< 942  943  944    946  947  948 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Is the "BOOGIE MAN" in Unit 3's basement?

At the end of this video...something has got these TEPCO people a little freaked out as to what is down the stairwell to the basement of unit 3...

- Purple Chive
edit on 15-6-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

Jaded if you stop this vid at :39 that bent bit in the screen certainly looks like the bent bit in the 'rods' picture , but I still can't figure what the semicircular thing on the ground would be or how it could be jammed under there , and the 'rods' pic angle does not seem to show anything substantial behind it ( as in the video equipment banks are behind the bent gate I wish they'd have spent ten more seconds filming that little spot

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by curioustype

Originally posted by Silverlok
reply to post by curioustype

In the NRC public mullings that question came up relatively early but was not really addressed. The important factors that were mentioned were that the Japanese waste pools were estimated by Randy Sullivan (NSIR) to been able to last over thirty days without boiling out from cooling loss.

IF that can be extended to the common waste pool (located in the building directly inland and uphill from the #4 reactor building) then tepco's basic early strategy seemed to be rotating refilling pools as they evaped (boiled), but they made their estimates on ONLY heat generation figuring they had weeks if not more before they had to worry, and failed to take into account water loss from cracks or other explosive damage(If they went into the reactors in the first few days no one came out with the information on leakages or it was disregarded), so the pool at four became a casualty to leakage , criticality and then explosion damage, twice.

The common storage pool was showing elevated temperatures on the first of the thermal images released on 3-23, but do not seem to be adequately imaged again ( i haven't been able to check in a couple of days though ), So I would guess that the same strategy applied there and they just tried to keep the water levels up until they could get some kind of cooling back on line ( which I believe Tepco admitted about 4-7), but good thinking , passive radiators like giant cpu cooling heat sinks should be stationed over such pools as submerged lids , just in case
edit on 30-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

Silverlock, just going back through some of the earlier discussions about the CFSPs, thougt this was pertinent to what's being discussed now. I thought someone posted some library images of the CSFP some time - was it you? Still digging back...

[Sorry, tired too, getting slack, Silverlock, the other reason I posted this now is that clearly it shows the link between the thermal imagery and the CSFP had been spotted earlier on, sorry Zworld.

But why did we not pursue what happened there as much as with the other hot spots identified? Cleary the story of the reactors and their SFPs was looking more pressing, but I'm guessing we haven't seen further thermal imagery to show it cooled off there? Or have anything except the TEPCO statements about temp readings and water levels at "the pool" being "secured" ans "stable" to go on....they haven't always been to forthcoming about such things have they?]
edit on 15-6-2011 by curioustype because: Almost forgot to say the most important thing...

I have the thermals archived they are probably still up at the ministry of defense (www.mod.go.jp...), but I will have to find the link, as that site is a mess.

If I remember correctly that thermal is the only clear shot of the csfp, the rest either have it croped out or BLACKED out, seriously there are dark spots where the thermal data should be , and we know those pools weren't colder than the environment so it was more than a little odd . Also according to Tepcos flood height estimations ( and video ) the csfp must have been inundated/contaminated with seawater, Tepco did admit 'high radiation' there but that info was quickly swept under the rug , and they have been keen on keeping all eyes and ears off the cfsp...oddly those pools could have been "de-roded" and the rods transported out in the blue casks ( it's what they are actually for ) either by truck or on the barge ( it was loaded high enough ).

In any event the csfp has had the least amount of data leaked and most of what was released probably fits neatly into a thimble, but I will dig to see if I have pictures or links to it ( it may take a while )

(edit) as I caught up I see jaded and you got the pics (external I remember seeing some from an NHK feed that (briefly) showed the interior on this thing), but I do not think the the csfp is a 'hanging basket' ( that term makes me really hungry for fish and chips , hmm greasy heart clogging goodness ). Do you have a link to which pdf you are referencing?
And Tepco all but admitted a criticality at the csfp, with their 'abnormal' radiation proclamation , it falls into the same category as reactors/reactor buildings 5 and 6, something definitely not kosher , but information muzzled and bagged in the back room with the red headed step-child . I mean they actually changed the data when it accidentally exposed the criticality in 5 ( or 6 ) and Arnie called them out on it...so unless we can get some leakage from someone whom was inside that plant and actually saw the csfp, we can expect the official story to be "situation normal", just a small reactor leak , just give us a minute to get it locked down ...well a minute or perhaps a year or so , you know it's not like they are leaking radiation all over the planet, or oh wait they are , so it's not like they are trying to conceal how much , er...
well at least it's not like they'd criminally dump damning evidence into the ocean ( perhaps from a barge at night ) if they though they could get away with it ...oh ...
well never fear I am sure that everything is totally fine at teh csfp , as no news is good news
, right (seriously though I will see I f I can find those interior pics)
edit on 16-6-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Is Nebraska Nuclear plant now going to combust, they're flooding it to keep it cool and the Missouri River is either threatening to engulf it or doing so in a controlled manner???

enenews.com...

This is very alarming, and I don't believe its unintentional. With the levee issue before, why didn't they shut down the power plants since they knew this was coming?

the five o'clock shadow and arnie speak out on Fort Calhoun 'situation', frightening shadows of Fukushima:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
Gathering what scraps we can, we travel back or forward as necessary. What is important is that we do what we can with what we have. In this medium, that is through careful sifting and weighing of what is put out by Tepco/Japgov or fellow ATSers.

Digs at one another personally should be ignored and the ideas presented should make up the substance of the discussion. By focusing on the realm of ideas, we elevate our conversation and ensure that any debate produces results in the same sphere.

We are at a serious disadvantage, and I would not see that disadvantage strengthened by dissent amongst those of us who would stand against what is wrong in this world. What do we do now? We forge ahead.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. I said a long time ago that I was in for the long haul, and so here I remain.

Looking at this a bit more:

Here is an even closer view of what is emitting the heat:

In this last, R4 is blocking the majority of the structure in question but you can clearly see that whatever it is, it sits well above the main roof level of the building.

Even closer inspection of the thermal image will show a couple of areas that are dark blue (which indicates cooler than background if I am not mistaken) as indicated by the blue ellipses in this image:

Does anyone have any idea what this could be. It looks a bit like miniature cooling towers to me, but that's probably wrong. If that's what they are (or something similar) then why are these the only ones showing such extreme heat/cold in the thermal?

And from the file Z linked:

This is post R3 explosion, but prior R4 explosion.

The closer I look, the more those look like skylights?
edit on 15-6-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: additional image

edit on 15-6-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: let the pictures scroll

Those appear to be heat ex changers, like a AC system on steroids. Look in I think is the second pic, there appear to be huge fans under them.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
TEPCO starts up water treatment system, but massive radioactive waste feared

Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) begins a trial run of a contaminated water treatment system, developed by France's Areva SA, on June 15. (Photo courtesy of TEPCO)
Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) began a trial run of a radioactive water treatment system at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant on June 15 in a desperate effort to break away from the vicious cycle of injecting water into reactors to cool them and ending up with more contaminated water.

But even if the system, developed by France's Areva SA, were to operate smoothly, it would produce a massive amount of high-level radioactive waste that could affect TEPCO's roadmap to bring the troubled nuclear reactors under control by early next year.

"The water treatment system is moving along as scheduled, although contaminated water leaked from a pipe," Hidehiko Nishiyama, spokesman for the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, told a news conference on June 15.

TEPCO, the operator of the troubled Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant, will try to reach "Step 1" of the roadmap, in which radiation emissions are steadily declining, by mid-July. It hopes to reach "Step 2," in which leakages of radiation are controlled and amounts of radiation are drastically reduced, within three to six months.

But while contaminated water is treated, the system developed by Areva is expected to produce about 2,000 cubic meters of radioactive sludge by the end of this year. The sludge is likely to be highly radioactive with 100 million becquerels per cubic centimeter. In addition, about two to four 2.3-meter-tall cesium-absorbing containers are expected to be needed each day, but the roadmap does not take into account work to dispose of the containers.

In this June 9, 2011 photo released Saturday, June 11, 2011 by Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), equipment inside the cesium absorption tower, part of the newly-built radioactive water processing facilities at Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant in Okuma, Fukushima prefecture, is shown. (AP Photo/Tokyo Electric Power Co.)
"Massive amounts of extremely high levels of radioactive waste will be produced and our work to deal with the crisis at the No. 1 Nuclear Plant will enter unknown territory. It could affect the roadmap," said a senior official of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. The ministry and the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency are considering measures, including revising laws or enacting new laws, to deal with massive amounts of radioactive waste.

In the roadmap revised in May, TEPCO included the operation of circulatory cooling systems using water that had had radioactive substances removed.

At the No. 2 reactor, a hydrogen explosion damaged the pressure suppression pool. According to analysis by the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, there is a hole of about 300 square meters there. Therefore, in order to circulate cooling water through the reactor, either damaged parts would need to be repaired or the pool would need to be covered with something like a huge concrete structure. But it is difficult for workers to approach the reactor because radiation levels in the reactor building are so high. As a result, TEPCO has not even been able to confirm damaged spots.

The situation is the same at the No. 1 and 3 reactors. The buildings housing the two reactors sustained serious damage in the hydrogen explosions that hit them. Massive repair work could therefore be required to ensure that water circulates through the cooling systems. It is not clear when the circulatory cooling systems will be made operational, and therefore contaminated water will be kept in a temporary tank after being treated.

Be that as it may, the radioactive water treatment system will have to be kept running all the time as long as work to cool nuclear fuel continues. It will cost a fortune to treat the radioactive water and manage radioactive waste.

In this May 27, 2011 photo released on June 2, 2011 by Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), temporary storage tanks for low-level radioactive polluted waters used for temporary cooling system in Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant in Okuma, Fukushima prefecture, northeastern Japan, are shown. (AP Photo/Tokyo Electric Power Co.)
"This work has not been carried out anywhere else in the world. While keeping the worst-case-scenarios in mind, they should quickly work out measures to treat contaminated water," said Teruyuki Honda, professor of nuclear environmental engineering at Tokyo City University.

mdn.mainichi.jp...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Radiation in Japan: Nosebleed, Diarrhea, Lack of Energy in Children in Koriyama City, Fukushima

Once a malicious "baseless rumor" on the net, now it is written up in a regional newspaper with readership in Tokyo and Kanto area.

Tokyo Shinbun (paper edition only, 6/16/2011) reports that many children in Koriyama City in Fukushima Prefecture, 50 kilometers from Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant, are suffering inexplicable nosebleed, diarrhea, and lack of energy since the nuke plant accident.

Translation by EX-SKF
(So thankful for this source.)

Report by Ao Ideta, Tokyo Shinbun, June 16, 2011

On June 12, a non-profit organization called "The Bridge to Chernobyl" (チェルノブイリへのかけはし) held a free clinic in Koriyama City in Fukushima Prefecture, 50 kilometers [west] from Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant.

Worried about the effect of radiation exposure, 50 families brought their children to see the doctor.

A 39-year-old mother of two told the doctor that her 6-year-old daughter had nosebleed everyday for 3 weeks in April. For 1 week, the daughter bled copiously from both nostrils. The mother said their doctor told her it was just a seasonal allergy from pollen. Her other child, 2-year-old son, had nosebleed from end of April to May.

The pediatrician from The Bridge to Chernobyl, Yurika Hashimoto, told the mother it was hard to determine whether the nosebleed was the result of radiation exposure, but they should have the blood test done for white blood cells. It was important to keep record, the doctor advised.

The family move out temporarily from Koriyama City to Saitama Prefecture after the March 11 earthquake, but came back to Koriyama at the end of March.

The mother said about 10% of pupils at the elementary school have left Koriyama. Each school in Koriyama decides whether to have the pupils drink local milk that the school provide, which tends to concentrate radioactive materials. In her daughter's school, it is up to the parents to decide. But the mother said she let the daughter drink milk with other children because the daughter didn't want to get excluded by other children for not drinking milk with them.

A 40-year-old father of a 4-month-old baby daughter was so worried that he never let the daughter go outside, even though she didn't exhibit any ill effect of radiation so far. He said, "I'm so worried. I don't know how to defend ourselves."

I [the reporter of the story] used the radiation monitoring device over the low bush near the place where this event was being held. It measured 2.33 microsieverts/hour. As I raised the device higher, the radiation level went down to 1 microsievert/hour. The highest air radiation measured in Koriyama City was 8.26 microsieverts/hour on March 15. Since middle of May, it has been about 1.3 microsievert/hour.

If you live one year in a place with 1.3 microsievert/hour radiation, the cumulative radiation will exceed 11 millisieverts. [And that's only the external exposure.]

A 40-year-old mother with a 6-year-old son was angry, and said "Doctors, researchers, they all say different things. I don't understand how the evacuation areas are determined. Take Iitate-mura, for example. They just let the villagers get exposed to high radiation for a month, and when the air radiation level got lower they told them to move out. We can't trust the national government, we can't trust Fukushima prefectural government." Her family just built a new house, and she was not sure how they could survive economically if they moved. If they moved, when would they be able to come back? What about cost of moving, or the psychological effect on her child? She just couldn't decide what to do.

edit on 16-6-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: coffee hasn't kicked in yet

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Japan plans to move pregnant women from far-flung radiation

(Reuters) - Japan plans to ask pregnant women and children to move away from radiation "hotspots" that were found far away from the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant, the government said on Thursday, reflecting new anxieties about the spread of radioactivity.

The government will not, however, evacuate entire towns, but rather homes where residents could be exposed to more than 20 millisieverts of radiation per year. Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters.

Twenty millisieverts is the annual radiation limit the government has set for school children in Fukushima, where workers at the Daiichi plant 240 km (150 miles) from Tokyo are battling to bring under control the worst nuclear crisis since Chernobyl.

Following the earthquake and tsunami in March that resulted in the nuclear disaster the government has set up a forced evacuation zone within a 20 km (12 mile) radius of the plant after deciding that radiation levels there were too high for human habitation.

But the government has been confronted with far-flung, isolated hotspots of contamination outside the 20 km radius with relatively high levels of radiation.

Edano said data gathered from certain parts of Minami Soma city, about 20 km from Daiichi, and Date city, about 50 km from the nuclear plant, are currently being assessed and that the government would recommend evacuation on a household basis.

He also said that those wanting to evacuate, including adults and those who were not pregnant, would receive firm government support.

"We will respond flexibly and lift evacuation recommendations if radiation levels decline," Edano said.

They might also want to stop giving these children local milk at school. As for the rest - it's about damn time they get these children out of there. Way past time.

ETA: source
edit on 16-6-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

"Hole of about 300 square meters" WTF?

In the pressure suspension pool....

enenews.com...

How in the hell do you deal with that?

- Purple Chive

edit on 16-6-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Another answer to add to the list of why?

Why have alarms not been sounded about radiation exposure in the US?

Nuclear operator Exelon Corporation has been among Barack Obama's biggest campaign donors, and is one of the largest employers in Illinois where Obama was senator. Exelon has donated more than $269,000 to his political campaigns, thus far. Obama also appointed Exelon CEO John Rowe to his Blue Ribbon Commission on America's Nuclear Future.

Source

Money talks...

Lobbying, PAC Contributions

An analysis of the lobbying expenses of electric utilities operating a majority of the nation’s nuclear reactors and the main industry trade group show a doubling on lobbying spending since 2004. The industry’s lobbying jumped from $27 million prior to the nuclear-friendly Energy Act of 2005 to nearly $54 million in 2010.

The industry’s lobbying team is filled with former government officials, sixty-eight percent of them, including twelve former congressmen. Among them, former Sens. Trent Lott and John Breaux lobby for Entergy, former Rep. Dick Gephardt works for Progress Energy, and former Sen. Don Nickles holds Southern Co. as a client.

These connections undoubtedly help connect industry policy priorities to the congressional process drafting legislation on energy and climate issues.

Over the same period, the industry increased its spending on campaign contributions through political action committees (PAC). According to data obtained from TransparencyData.com, contributions increased from $3.5 million in the 2004 cycle to approximately $4.5 million in both the 2008 and 2010 cycles.

These contributions, while favoring Republicans overall, track closely with party control of Congress and the White House. Industry contributions did not shift to the Democrats until after the 2008 cycle swept the party into the White House and large majorities in both the House and the Senate.
Much of the shift to Democratic campaigns came as President Barack Obama had promised to overhaul the nation’s energy policy with legislation aimed at reducing fossil fuel use to mitigate the effects of climate change. This would include increased support for nuclear energy.

The new Democratic president’s push for more nuclear energy came after the nation’s biggest nuclear power company strongly backed his candidacy.

Illinois-based Exelon was one of the biggest corporate backers of then-Sen. Obama’s 2008 presidential run. The company’s director, John W. Rogers, served on Obama’s finance committee and bundled $193,598 to the Illinois senator’s campaign, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Rogers also sat on the president’s Inaugural Committee and donated $50,000 to the 2009 Inauguration. ComEd CEO Frank Clark bundled $75,100 in contributions to the Obama presidential campaign. (ComEd is a subsidiary of Exelon.)

Former White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel made millions when he joined an investment bank in Chicago and shepherded through the merger deal between PECO Energy and Unicom that created Exelon.

Exelon operates seventeen nuclear reactors in the United States, the most of any company in the nation.

Source

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
My apologies...I having a moment and need to VENT!!

OK so kids in Japan are getting nosebleeds and diarrhea.

Strontium is in the ground water.

They are gonna cover the things with 1 millimeter thick polyester sheets that ain't gonna do Jack Slit!!

They have had a friggen "Melt Through" in three reactors.

"the situation has become extremely severe".

My QUESTION? Do you think Ronald Regan, Marget Thatcher, Mikhail Gorbachev would be putting up with this BS? Where in the hell are the strong world leaders today?

I am so FRIGGING PISSED at the tip-toeing and dilly-dallying going on!!!

This is an INTERNATIONAL EMERGENCY!!! Where in the hell is Obama? (Better not go there - OOOHHHH - whatever the hell we are supposed to have for a POTUS right now!!!)

I am fed up with the WHIMPS!!! It's nonsensical!! Incomprehensible!!

I am sorry...so very sorry...I wish I were clueless...

The Primal Forces of the Universe have been unleashed...we have flirted with the Devil...our arrogance and stupidity...

I'm not one to cry...I am very strong and been through much in life...but hard to hold back the tears and sorrow...

God help us all...

- Purple Chive

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I have been following from page 1 but have moved and not had internet for the past 9 days. I know some of us were wondering (including me) how could someone not possibly realize the dangers of the situation or not even be aware of it at all. EASY. While not having internet I searched news channels for anything on Fukushima and I heard nothing. That's how easy it is. The lack of information should be telling in itself.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

enenews.com...

- Purple Chive

300 square meters???

Sounds like that thing must be blown to pieces. 300 sq. meters is a lot of area.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

enenews.com...

- Purple Chive

PC, think about where the reactor "mass" is sitting. It's right there either beside it, or directly under it. At that radiation level no one could work in there, so the answer is you don't fix it unless it can be fixed by robots.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Ok, I don't have a lot of time at the moment; taking the crew to the zoo, so I will be in lurk mode until this evening.

I did run across this though:

The prime minister's nuclear adviser, Toshiso Kosako, furious about the government's flouting of established safety protocol, quit in protest. Parents of Fukushima children rose up in revolt. Finally, in late May, the government restored the acceptable radiation threshold to its former level.

Source

I don't recall the former limit being reinstated, can anyone provide corroborating data?

When I get the time later this evening I will go through and look into the things that have been specifically addressed to me.

Man, I thought we had waded through all of the BS I'm this thread. It turns out we had just arrived at a sand bar and now seem to have dropped off into the deep end once again. Well I've got my $hit-shovel and am not afraid to use it.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Dahr Jamil was an Excellent reporter on the BP Oil Spill too...

Scientific experts believe Japan's nuclear disaster to be far worse than governments are revealing to the public.

english.aljazeera.net...

- Purple Chive

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

Yes Matadoor...it was a rhetorical question. We don't have the technology or science currently available to deal with this nightmare. And by the time if and when we do. Chances are it's gonna be too late.

Where are the space escape pods?

- Purple Chive

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

God help us all...

Amen to that

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

Yeah, I figured as much. This entire affair is extremely frustrating to an engineer like me. I tend to FIX things, and when I sit here watching them fiddle around with stupid crap, instead of finding answers, it drives me nuts (short trip for me)...

And to think, when I graduated from college, I was offered a job in Baltimore working at a nuke plant for Westinghouse. MAN, that was a great career move, to stay away from that industry!!

new topics

top topics

<< 942  943  944    946  947  948 >>

join