It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 905.htm
<< 902  903  904    906  907  908 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Yes, the WC is back and saw the trees blowing like hell momentarily...then back to gray...the audio is descriptive enough as to what is going on. Don't think much is being accomplished (haha). And they tucked in all their cooling equipment...

"Special vehicles used to inject water into the spent fuel storage pools have been moved away and their 50-meter arms folded so they won't blow over."

www3.nhk.or.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
Well what do you know?

Stabilizing the crisis at the Fukushima No. 1 power plant by the end of the year may be impossible, senior officials at Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Sunday, throwing a monkey wrench into plans to let evacuees return to their homes near the plant.

Does this surprise anyone in the least bit?

Tepco, the plant's operator, announced on April 17 its road map for bringing the troubled reactors into a cold shutdown within six to nine months.

Which we all knew immediately to be completely unworkable.

Even though the fuel in the No. 1 reactor was later found to have melted through the pressure vessel, the utility said as recently as May 17 that it did not see a need to revise its projections.

More correct would be to say"...admitted to have melted through the pressure vessel..." they knew long before saying that the fuel had melted out of the RPV.

But "the nine months is just a target deadline for which we are making efforts," a senior Tepco official said, indicating that the likely delay will affect the plan to review the evacuation of local residents. The government is hoping to review the order once the reactors are brought under control.

Just a target? How abbot a realistic expectation? Is there even a remote possibility for one of those?

And I'm sorry to say that if indeed the fuel has melted down then there is NO WAY humanly possible to bring any sort of control to that situation.

Given that the contaminated water has leaked from the No. 1 reactor's containment vessel, a Tepco official said, "We must first determine where it is leaking and seal it."

That sounds a lot like "plug leak" to me. Wasn't that part of the original plan? And it still hasn't happened? Mmhmm, ok. Got ya.

The official added, "Unless we understand the extent of the damage, we don't even know how long that work alone would take," noting the need for one or two months more than previously thought to establish an entirely new cooling system.

They STILL don't know what they're up against. Damage assessment is ongoing and a feasible plan is still not in sight and won't be until they know how badly fubarred everthing is.

This all sounds like where we were in late March.

There needs to be an international multidisciplinary team set up to monitor and andvise in real time; this would allow 24/7 anlaysis and deliberation on the subject. Not that I think any of this is likely but it's what I've come up with as a start point. I'm sure I've overlooked a lot and that there are probably other place that a beginnin could be made but I think it's better by an order of magnitude than what's been done thusfar.

Source for above quotes.

Yes JAC - a multinational force (NATO) can suddenly swoop into Libya and raise all sorts or havoc...but Fukushima? It's retarded...surreal...nonsensical, flabbergasting, idiotic, incomprehensible --- expletive after expletive!!!.....$%&@&)(#&)(W)&%###!!!!!

- Purple Chive

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

Purple...when we do get the WC back...bet ya R-4 is a real mess compared to 3 days ago. When I was watching the trees whipping around, I'd guess the winds were gusting in excess of 70MPH....

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

The typhoon was not bad at all in Tokyo, very heavy rain, but the wind was not bad. Im trying to find out how fast, but it was def not 70mph here in Tokyo, and would have been weaker in Fukushima.

The rain is more of a problem in fukushima. The ground is loosened by quakes and with rain it is in danger of landslides.

The weather warning for Fukushima say flood, gale, thunderstorm and dense fog.

The weather is still very grey and rainy today. From what we see on the national news, nothing has changed in Fukushima, I saw video taken, allegedly recently and it is all still standing, though looks a wreck as usual.

www.jma.go.jp...

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Believe me, Ild LOVE to have an international team go into Fukushima and take the whole mess over. It won`t happen, national soverignty and pride will make sure of that much. An international team cant just sweep into japan and take over the plant by force without it being seen as a provocative act. Wrong, and dangerous, but there you go.

I was speaking to Japanese friends over the weekend, I said that Obama had offered help to get the Fukushima mess under control, and their reply was `no he hasnt, noone has offered to come in and help`. I put her straight on that, but it appears that some people here think that international help to solve the nuclear mess is not even on the table.

There is a motion of no confidence to remove Kan - the Japanese prime minister, at the moment. Im not sure who they would get to replace him, and in my opinion its better the devil you know. There is considerable opposition in the media against his idea of putting solar panels on every available space in Tokyo and weaning off nuclear power, and opposition in the Diet. They say it is economically unworkable. I know ive been accused wrongly of being a shill by someone here, but if you want to see the real shills take a look at the media.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Throw in a freaking 4.5+ mag on top of this right now and kiss Unit 4 building's butt goodbye - topple over and spill the MOX all over the place. Absolutely lovely...and the typhoon season has just begun...and the other units...RPV's breached...containments breached...corium uninhibited...

And then we thought Unit 5 was just skipping merrily along...

Unit 6 please introduce yourself into the fracas!!

"Happy thoughts" anyone...is this a lost cause? Where are the brainiacs?

My father died a long and slow excruciating death to leukemia...

When I first stumbled upon this I thought it was really whacked out...but now I'm not too sure...

Do you remember the Sarin attacks in Japan?

"The Cult Of Doom's Strange Rise While A Warning Proved False, Fear Tightens Sect's Grip On Japan.
April 16, 1995|By Mark Bowden and Loretta Tofani, INQUIRER STAFF WRITERS

(Page 9 of 13)

While police hesitated, Asahara insisted he was being made a victim. His electoral humiliation was a plot. Press stories about the Sakamoto abduction were slander. When, in 1991, he was diagnosed with liver cancer, the Master blamed it on sarin - that word again - gas attacks by the U.S. and Japanese governments. In a book he wrote that year, Asahara described himself and his followers as "sacrificial lambs." All this, he warned, was a prelude to far worse.

He had long preached of a coming nuclear conflict between communism and capitalism, but after the Soviet Union collapsed, Asahara adapted. Now the war would be fought between the United States and Japan, and only Asahara's followers would survive. Japan would be destroyed by a series of disasters, which would culminate in a worldwide nuclear holocaust.

articles.philly.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Throw in a freaking 4.5+ mag on top of this right now and kiss Unit 4 building's butt goodbye - topple over and spill the MOX all over the place. Absolutely lovely...and the typhoon season has just begun...and the other units...RPV's breached...containments breached...corium uninhibited...

And then we thought Unit 5 was just skipping merrily along...

Unit 6 please introduce yourself into the fracas!!

"Happy thoughts" anyone...is this a lost cause? Where are the brainiacs?

My father died a long and slow excruciating death to leukemia...

When I first stumbled upon this I thought it was really whacked out...but now I'm not too sure...

Do you remember the Sarin attacks in Japan?

"The Cult Of Doom's Strange Rise While A Warning Proved False, Fear Tightens Sect's Grip On Japan.
April 16, 1995|By Mark Bowden and Loretta Tofani, INQUIRER STAFF WRITERS

(Page 9 of 13)

While police hesitated, Asahara insisted he was being made a victim. His electoral humiliation was a plot. Press stories about the Sakamoto abduction were slander. When, in 1991, he was diagnosed with liver cancer, the Master blamed it on sarin - that word again - gas attacks by the U.S. and Japanese governments. In a book he wrote that year, Asahara described himself and his followers as "sacrificial lambs." All this, he warned, was a prelude to far worse.

He had long preached of a coming nuclear conflict between communism and capitalism, but after the Soviet Union collapsed, Asahara adapted. Now the war would be fought between the United States and Japan, and only Asahara's followers would survive. Japan would be destroyed by a series of disasters, which would culminate in a worldwide nuclear holocaust.

articles.philly.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ThousandIslandSunny

Hi Thousand Island Sunny...followed your weather link...and do have to admit "Heavy rain (Ground-loosening)" gave such a warm and fuzzy feeling that everything is gonna be OK. www.jma.go.jp...

God love ya...do you reside in Japan?

- Purple Chive

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Yes, Im in Tokyo. Really honestly, do not worry about the wind. I would not fancy `ground loosening` under those plants though!

Anything else I can do for you from here?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

From what I know of Asahara, he seems like he has a major God complex and a nihilistic drive. His followers are a spaced out, drum beating bunch.Of course, who knows, but he is safely in prison right now, in solitary confinement. Apparently he tried to get out by `acting crazy` and throwing his own excrement around. Ill try and find something in English. He reminds me of Manson.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

He was found guilty of murdering the Sakamoto family, and to be frank, I think it was a pretty sound judgement.Sakamoto, his wife and young child were all killed. Sakamoto was working on a class action against the Aum riku sect headed by Asahara. Asahara did not himself go and murder these people, the murderers were uncovered 6 years later. They say they were sent out by Asahara. Asahara maintains they did so out of their own free will.

He is just a Japanese Charlie Manson, with a group of esoteric, doomsday indoctrinated followers, who sent brainwashed people out to murder others...

If there is a conspiracy here, I would not bet on Asahara being any part of it. He just jumps onto bandwagons and made a lucky guess in my humble opinion.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
What WOULD happen if the whole site (or most of it) landslipped into the sea?

It would make the cleanup really impossible and the cores would have access to unlimited amounts of seawater and cooling. If they are really hot, then would they just act like volcano magma and just keep going?

If that happened, it would mean an unlimited amout of radiation getting into the sea and we would never be able to contain it. At least on dry land, we think we may be able to get it under control and contain it one day....but once it gets access to the open ocean, there is probably no way it could be controlled.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Thank you - ThousandIslandSunny! Full of questions!! I'm a TMI (Three Mile Island) - 1979 Susquehanna river Pennsylvania, USA. www.satellite-sightseer.com...

1. What anxiety level, sense of urgency are you experiencing in Japan to resolve the Fukushima crisis?

2. Do you/Japan feel that there are any permanent dire world wide consequences as a result of the ongoing radiation being released into the atmosphere, fresh water supply and ocean?

3. Are there any feelings of remorse/outrage that TEPCO/Government hasn't taken extreme measures to abate the situation?

4. Do you want international help to resolve the situation? Do you think the situation can be resolved?

5. What do you think the ultimate outcome will be?

6. If you could leave Japan, would you?

Tremendous horror from Mother Nature and humans have wrecked havoc on your nation throughout history...and you have endured. My prayers that your country and all of us will endure this tumult also.

With much respect and condolences to your people...

- Purple Chive

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I don't like the look of this.

Should I be concerned?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I don't like the look of this.

Should I be concerned?

No, I live in a place where getting around 4-8 µSv/h is the norm so no issue there. My area is so high because I'm in mountainous terrain so I have less atmosphere protecting me from the suns rays. Usually sea level readings are lower, but, 24 µSv/h is nothing to worry about.

Pred...
edit on 29-5-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I would not be concerned, or at least look for other radiation monitors in the UK to check these readings.

Tokyo right now is reading less than this...www.facebook.com...#!/pages/Tokyo-Kids-Radiation/227762067240468

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
What WOULD happen if the whole site (or most of it) landslipped into the sea?

It would make the cleanup really impossible and the cores would have access to unlimited amounts of seawater and cooling. If they are really hot, then would they just act like volcano magma and just keep going?

If that happened, it would mean an unlimited amout of radiation getting into the sea and we would never be able to contain it. At least on dry land, we think we may be able to get it under control and contain it one day....but once it gets access to the open ocean, there is probably no way it could be controlled.

Nobody really knows. Nobody has tested the idea. If, and this is a big if, the molten mass is underwater, as they say it is now, then it would just be a matter of tremendous amounts of radiation being released into the water until it cooled, which it would eventually. But, if it is exposed to air right now and just continuously heating up, then dumped into water, then we have the dreaded steam explosion, which would be a bad thing, releasing a ton of airborne radiation to the surrounding areas, and if bad enough, into the jet stream.

Again though, no one has ever tried it, those are just educated guesses.

Pred...
edit on 29-5-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Sorry to be a pain but how about this one.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Thank you - ThousandIslandSunny! Full of questions!! I'm a TMI (Three Mile Island) - 1979 Susquehanna river Pennsylvania, USA. www.satellite-sightseer.com...

1. What anxiety level, sense of urgency are you experiencing in Japan to resolve the Fukushima crisis?

The anxiety levels generally amongst the population in Tokyo seem to have gone down. People are not queuing up early buy bottled water, and there is no panic buying of water. Im still not using the tap water for cooking or drinking, nor am I drinking any bottled drinks apart from imported bottled water, which Im getting from an import company from France. People are very concerned, but there is not the checking of foods in supermarkets, and general fear there was 6 weeks ago. The news is downplaying the situation here, which is keeping people calmer.

Me personally. Well I will not eat anything I myself have no cooked and not give it to the kids. I am being very careful over water and food. Im not letting the kids out in the rain. I check the radiation levels every day from a variety of sources and waiting for my geiger counter to arrive. So Im being cautious, mainly because of the kids.

It needs to be resolved. People are on the streets protesting. If you would like photos from the general media of people protesting I can link you. Of course people are very scared for their children, and the movement against nuclear power is gather pace here. The media is trying to scupper this. They are trying to make Kan look bad for trying to get Solar power on every space possible in Tokyo.

You have to remember that Tepco here is hated as much as it is abroad. People are very angry with the situation, but the common man or woman here has no power to do anything to help the Fukushima situation. We have to rely on the experts, or so called experts who are in the restricted area dealing with it.

2. Do you/Japan feel that there are any permanent dire world wide consequences as a result of the ongoing radiation being released into the atmosphere, fresh water supply and ocean?

I am not Japan, and cannot speak for Japan. Im not Japanese, my family is, but I am not. I personally feel that no level of radiation is safe, and noone wants it to be released, but it is not a matter of choice. It is a disaster which people involved are trying to contain. It is not intentional! The ocean dumping. Again, not much choice. It was the best of a lot of bad options in my opinion. Permanent and dire consequences. I personally do not think anyone outside of Japan is going to die from the radiation released currently. I would not eat fish from Japan, or even the pacific right now, but no, I dont think anyone is in danger outside of Japan from this at the moment.

3. Are there any feelings of remorse/outrage that TEPCO/Government hasn't taken extreme measures to abate the situation?

Remorse? From the general Japanese public? Why should the general Japanese public be remorseful and sorry? What have we done exactly? I personally am stil shocked and saddened and a bit frightened. Noone chose to have nuclear power plants, it was not put to public opinion referendum, it was forced upon the japanese people. People generally from what I can see from my Japanese family and friends are scared and very very sad. It was a shocking event and has been a very hard few months for everyone affected. Gruelling in fact, in terms of quakes and worry about radiation. If you look at how anyone who tried to whistle blow was treated by the foreign media, the media has tried to silence any voicing of worries, and just how bad it was to start with here after the 11th quake. There were food shortages, supply chain problems, bottled water was difficult to get hold of and we were being shaken around continually. Remorse? Tepco, the nuclear power watchdogs, the government, they need to be sorry forb eing so greedy, and doing this. However, if that happened in any other country, the rich greedy industry fat cats would also need to be sorry, not the average person just trying to make a living and bring up family.

People are angry about the situation yes, and angry with Tepco that it came to this. Extreme measures? Like what? Emtombment is not possible as far as I understand it, not at the moment. The rods would be out of reach then, and the heat build up and just melt through the concrete, possibly. Also flash curing of the concrete at these high tempretures would reduce it to fragments. Not only that, it is on the sea, and it is possible that the corium would just leak under the shell. It has to be cooled down THEN entombed. Or that is what I understand as being the case.

4. Do you want international help to resolve the situation? Do you think the situation can be resolved?

Again, Im not able to speak for Japan. I would LOVE international help in there. I personally think the best and brightest minds in the scientfic community throughout the world should be on this right now. I think it can be resolved, but will take time to get under control. I also think those plants should never have been in operation in the first place.

5. What do you think the ultimate outcome will be?

Personally, I think the ultimate outcome will be people in Fukushima die, not everyone, but a lot of cancers and leukemias, which the government will deny are due to the radiation. I also think we will see a some birth defects in years to come. Put it this way, we wanted another baby - one last child, there is NO way i would think abotu having another child now. I worry every day my chidren might get cancer. I do everything I can to protect them, but it is never out of my mind, and I am not alone in being worried here. I think the plants will be cooled, and when they are cooled i think they will be emtombed. I would like to see the rods, or what is left there of them, removed and put elsewhere in containment, at least away from the coast. I think some leukemias and cancers and birth defects will be seen as far as Tokyo, due to people eating contaminated food and water.

6. If you could leave Japan, would you?

Yes. It has been hard on me and the children, and I would leave in a heartbeat, but Ive not got that option. I would go south in Japan if I could. I do not think Japan is going to slide into the sea. I think the coastline is going to permanently change, and people need NOT to rebuild in areas that were hit.

Tremendous horror from Mother Nature and humans have wrecked havoc on your nation throughout history...and you have endured. My prayers that your country and all of us will endure this tumult also.

Japan has stood for a long long time. There are temples and castles which have stood for almost 2000 years. Tokyo does not have so many old structures because of the fire bombing in WW2. What happened in March was a very rare and extreme event. Yes there are volcanos and earthquakes, but if Japan was continually being shaken back to the stone age, we would not have advanced here to become the prosperous and advanced country Japan is.

Japanese people always bounce back, and persevere. I honestly think the situation in California needs monitoring, and so does the situation in the Pacific ocean, but I do not think Americans are in any danger from this. That is just my opinion. There needs to be a balance between being cautious and needless upset and worry. Look at Chernobyl - those who got sick ate mushrooms and berries, drank the milk. The situation is not as innocuous as the media is making out, but it is also not armageddeon.

It has been a very sad year. Heartbreaking and no, it is not over yet. That said, the blaming of `the Japanese` when it is Tepco and a few old men in the government at fault really upsets me. I am terribly sad that the radiation has travelled, but that is noone`s fault but Tepco, and GE who made the mark I reactors, and the Japanese government for not shutting all of these damn things down. They were arrogant about the risks and the media continues this arrogance. Japan cannot have nuclear power. We need to shut the whole lot down. Im more worried about another quake and more plants going bang, than I am about Fukushima. This mess can be cleared up, but add more to this, and I have no idea how Japan would get over that. As many plants as possible need to be shut down as soon as possible. Not just in Japan, but all over the world. Nuclear power is dangerous, too dangerous for mankind at man`s current level of capability.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Radioactive level up again at reactor water intake

The operator of the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant says it has detected higher levels of radioactive materials in seawater samples taken near the water intake at one of the reactors.

Tokyo Electric Power Company says it detected 24 becquerels of radioactive iodine-131 per cubic centimeter in samples collected near the water intake for the Number 2 reactor on Saturday.

The figure is 600 times higher than the national limit, though levels at the spot had been falling. A day earlier, a level 130 times the limit was detected.

TEPCO says the level of radioactive cesium is also rising at that spot, though the level of that substance had been falling, too.

The samples were taken at the same site where iodine-131 at a level 7.5 million times the limit was detected on April 2nd.

TEPCO says the reason for the upward trend is not yet clear, and that it will monitor the situation closely.

Radioactivity levels have been falling at other spots, such as offshore areas and the water intake at the Number 3 reactor.

Monday, May 30, 2011 06:05 +0900 (JST)

Link here

top topics

<< 902  903  904    906  907  908 >>

join