It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 884.htm
<< 881  882  883    885  886  887 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Magnitude 6.0
Date-Time
* Friday, May 20, 2011 at 00:46:16 UTC
* Friday, May 20, 2011 at 09:46:16 AM at epicenter
Location 35.736°N, 140.981°E
Depth 26.2 km (16.3 miles)
Region NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances
82 km (50 miles) SSE of Mito, Honshu, Japan
111 km (68 miles) E of TOKYO, Japan
126 km (78 miles) ENE of Yokohama, Honshu, Japan
133 km (82 miles) SE of Utsunomiya, Honshu, Japan
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 13.4 km (8.3 miles); depth +/- 5.9 km (3.7 miles)
Parameters NST=385, Nph=385, Dmin=266.1 km, Rmss=0.87 sec, Gp= 43°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=9
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0003jg4
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Confirmed: EPA Rigged RADNET Japan Nuclear Radiation Monitoring Equipment To Report Lower Levels Of Fukushima Fallout

The EPA re-calibrated (rigged) Japan nuclear radiation monitoring equipment causing them to report lower levels of radioactive fallout after the Fukushima nuclear meltdown than what was detected before the disaster.

I recently programmed an application to pull all of the EPA radiation monitoring graphs for all major US cities and complied them into an easy to use web interface. Of course we took the date being reported with a grain of salt under the suspicion that the Feds were fiddling with the results.

Now, an investigative report looking into why the much of the EPA radiation monitoring equipment was offline when the Fukushima nuclear meltdown occurred reveals that EPA has in fact rigged radiation monitoring equipment to report lower values of radiation.

LINK

edit on 19-5-2011 by AlaskanDad because: code

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

posted on 19-5-2011 @ 06:42 PM this post
Originally posted by Hellhound604
hmmm .... after speculation that Stuxnet which can control certain Siemens PLC's that might have been used at Fukushima, now this???? From Slashdot, this story :

"A planned presentation on security vulnerabilities in Siemens industrial control systems was pulled Wednesday over worries that the information in the talk was too dangerous to be released. Independent security researcher Brian Meixell and Dillon Beresford, with NSS Labs, had been planning to talk…

hmmm .... things are slowly starting to come together.....
edit on 19/5/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

I was not going to post this email I got from someone investigating/reporting on Siemens, and Areva, in a nuclear contract issue. I came upon his article during some research....but, this seems the appropriate place to bring it out. I've been spending quite a bit of time tracking certain info....As things come together, I'll post what I find. Here is the original article.

Siemens Sells Stake in Nuclear Joint Venture to France’s Areva
By Richard Weiss and Niklas Magnusson - Apr 10, 2011 12:46 PM ET

Siemens AG (SIE), Germany’s largest engineering company, sold its 34 percent stake in the Areva NP nuclear-power joint venture to France’s Areva SA. (CEI)

“We are not an owner anymore and Areva paid us the money in the month of March,” Constantin Birnstiel, a spokesman for Munich, Germany-based Siemens, said by telephone today. He couldn’t comment on the sale price, because of an arbitration procedure that may lower or increase the value of the stake. FULL story at link. www.bloomberg.com...

Reply to me, and my email...

Hello XXXXXXX,
I am afraid I don't. Siemens is in an arbitration process and hence doesn't comment on the issue, neither on nor off the record...
Good luck for your research.
Richard

----- Original Message -----
To: RICHARD WEISS (BLOOMBERG/ NEWSROOM
At: 4/15 16:26:53

Greetings,

I just read your informative article regarding the Siemans sale of stake
in the Areva NP joint venture.

I am doing some research on the connection between an Israeli company,
Magna B.S.P., and . Areva.

Magna B.S.P, is the company that won a contract on April of 2010, to
install their devices at Fukushima, Japan

Do you have any information that could help me in my search for
information? Any lead would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
XXXXXXX
@XXXXXX

Some lengthy, yet interesting reading...

Fukushima security, Japan, Iran, Israeli security firms Magna BSP and ICTS
From December, 2009, www.isna.ir...

ISNA - Tehran
Service: Foreign Policy

TEHRAN (ISNA)-Iran has announced readiness for nuclear interaction with other countries and Japan could be one of them, said Foreign Ministry Spokesman, Ramin Mehmanparast, on Tuesday.

Speaking in his weekly press conference, when asked whether Japan will replace Russia for nuclear cooperation with Iran, he said, “the visit to Japan’s nuclear power plants by Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili were upon invitation by the Japanese side.” yardarmswinging.blogspot.com...

Great sleuthing. It seems no coincidence, rather cause and effect, which does entail believing there is more to blame for the radioactive disaster at Fukushima than simply a natural catastrophe. You are following that line of thought to see where it goes. It is a dark dark rabbit hole.

If the Israeli company did install a nuclear device concealed as a camera into reactor 3 building, and if the nuclear plant was the target of a Stuxnet attack...then one might well surmise that time was up for Japan one year and 3 months after that announcement by the Iranian foreign ministry spokesman of the Japanese invitation for nuclear cooperation. One could well imagine a warning was issued to Japan to take back that invitation, and if Japan dug its toes in then it is no big step to imagine how the warning would be followed by an immediate threat of retaliatory action should the warning not be heeded.

Yes, that makes a very good hypothesis. If that does fit where you are going above. Anyway, well done.

The tensions between the world's major powers at this late stage of the GFC have reached a dangerous level. Why not just take this consideration further and postulate what seems quite possible already?

I will for the heck of it add this hypothesis for consideration.

That is, there is right now a world war underway. One that is covert, and one using scalar weaponry. They don't even need to arouse public protests or invoke new legislation in government with this kind of war.

edit on 19-5-2011 by Tallone because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-5-2011 by Tallone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AlaskanDad

Your link doesn't work. Can you post another?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Tepco to promote insider as new president

Tokyo Electric Power Co will promote a company insider to be its next president when the stricken Japanese utility reveals a net loss of as much as $US18 billion ($A16.9 billion), media say, the biggest corporate loss in the country outside the financial sector.

President Masataka Shimizu, 66, will step down to take responsibility for the crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, making way for senior executive Katsutoshi Chikudate, 69, the Yomiuri newspaper added.

Business Spectator

Translation - We're making a change to appear as if we're responding to the critics who say change is needed, but in reality, we're not making a change at all. We couldn't possibly bring "new blood" into this situation - they might accidentally divulge the truth because they haven't been part of the lie from the beginning.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

AlaskanDad
That link does not seem to work.

Apparantly NHK has some trouble counting:

It says it was the first-ever detection of cesium-134 (in Osaka), and that levels of cesium-137 were 100 times higher than usual, concluding that the materials probably come from the Fukushima plant.

The institute says that a year's exposure to those levels of radiation would be less than one 10-thousandth the amount found occurring naturally, and has no impact on human health.

(scratching head) ...O.k.... 100 times the "normal level" of ceium134 and 137 is somehow equal 1/10000 of the radiation that is found "naturally occuring", hhmmm...

so what is the amount of naturally occuring radiation from cesium 134 and 137:

Caesium-133 is the only naturally occurring and only stable isotope of caesium. It is also produced by nuclear fission in nuclear reactors.

ahhh..133 is THE ONLY NATURALLY OCCURRING isotope of cesium

Caesium-134 has a half-life of 2.0652 years. It is produced both directly (at a very small yield because Xenon-134 is stable) as a fission product and via neutron capture from nonradioactive Cs-133 (neutron capture cross section 29 barns), which is a common fission product. Caesium 134 is not produced via beta decay of other fission product nuclides of mass 134 since beta decay stops at stable Xe-134. It is also not produced by nuclear weapons because 133Cs is created by beta decay of original fission products only long after the nuclear explosion is over.

The combined yield of Cs-133 and Cs-134 is given as 6.7896%. The proportion between the two will change with continued neutron irradiation. Cs-134 also captures neutrons with a cross section of 140 barns, becoming long-lived radioactive Cs-135.

SOOO....cs134 is a low yield by-product,

Cs 137 with a half-life of 30.17 years is one of the two principal medium-lived fission products, along with strontium-90, which are responsible for most of the radioactivity of spent nuclear fuel after several years of cooling, up to several hundred years after use.

It constitutes most of the radioactivity still left from the Chernobyl accident. 137Cs beta decays to barium-137m (a short-lived nuclear isomer) then to nonradioactive barium-137, and is also a strong emitter of gamma radiation. 137Cs has a very low rate of neutron capture and cannot be feasibly disposed of in this way, but must be allowed to decay.

hmmm, so if you have cesium 137 you have strontium 90 , and 137 is a strong emitter of GAMMA radiation.
and
(U.S. EPA)

Nonradioactive cesium occurs naturally in various minerals. Radioactive cesium-137 is produced when uranium and plutonium absorb neutrons and undergo fission. Examples of the uses of this process are nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons. The splitting of uranium and plutonium in fission creates numerous fission products. Cesium-137 is one of the more well-known fission products.

so to clarify , NHK, there is NO NATURAL background of cesium 134 and 137 , they had to come from a nuclear reactor , and 137 is responsible for "most of the radioactivity of spent nuclear fuel", which means the background numbers of radiation from naturally occurring 134 and 137 is ZERO.
so 100 times zero is zero and if we multiply that number by 10,000 to get what you say is a dangerous amount we get ...zero

and zero is clearly safe...no need to mention that pesky highly radioactive gamma emitter thing or the fact that these are particles that can and will get taken into the body...

Frankly if you happen to be the people in the press room at NHK and you are personally responsible for shoveling these crap stories you should be taken out and shot.

Tepco is showing a loss of 14.7 billion (dollars) for the FY2010

To address the problem, the firm plans to sell 27 resort houses and athletic grounds as well as stocks of affiliate companies. In addition, it will also implement salary reductions for its workers and a 100% cut for its 8 executive members.

Chairman Tsunehisa Katsumata and the President Masataka Shimizu have already indicated they will resign from their posts. However, some others in the firm say the bosses should continue working to address the situation until all the reactors are stabilized.

NOW they resign after they get 100% pay cuts and have to sell off the luxury perks...how noble

Tepco's imminent downgrading to junk status:

Moody's said that if the government does not submit a bill for the framework in the current Diet session, TEPCO could fall into financial difficulties.

Foreign travelers to Japan down 62% in April

In Asia, the number of visitors from Hong Kong dropped most sharply by 87 percent, followed by 82 percent from Singapore; 66 percent from South Korea and 49 percent from China. Elsewhere, a drop of 68 percent was registered in the number of travelers from France, 67 percent from Germany and 55 percent from the United States.
The tourism agency says the impact of the March 11th disaster and the ensuing nuclear crisis is lingering.

Hey we win as the second dumbest country. Those numbers are interesting as they give a pretty clear picture of how and where dis-info is being pumped . I suppose it's very telling that we are in the same class as South Korea.

More than 90 percent of elementary and junior high schools in Fukushima City disallow or limit outdoor activities for students in their athletic fields due to radiation-contaminated topsoil.

Wow and it only took nine weeks and a bunch of chatter on the internet to achieve this.

I notice from the new videos that Tepco has heavily sprayed that sealant everywhere , and interestingly all over in front of and on the #3 turbine building...I guess powdered core is hot stuff. Also a lot of those photos show guys getting exposed to some heavy gamma radiation , no wonder that one fellow had levels of over 30,000 ( normal about 1000) in his body .

edit on 20-5-2011 by Silverlok because: oops

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
damn it!

just been watching the cameraman mess about with the livecam & it was as clear as day, i took a screenshot of it when it panned out... then in the space of a blink, it's looking "foggy", & 10 mins later it's still looking that way... i'm really not happy about this, because it's misleading!

i'll upload the pics to show you, in a moment...

here - FINE!

then here - "FOGGY!"

i saw the change in contrast in an instant, definately the cameraman's work at play... look at the times under the 2 pics... wish i'd decided to catch a screenshot immediately after it changed

so, it's NOT FOGGY... it's a VERY clear day... i wonder how many times this has happened?

edit on 20-5-2011 by pattonisit because: added pics

ETA -

just to clarify - while it was in close up of all the reactors, it was clear & very detailed
edit on 20-5-2011 by pattonisit because: really annoyed about this kinda crap going on

ETA -

sorry, but i think this is aVERY important issue... why on earth would they do this to us?

i really hope someone else here saw this instant switch from clear to "foggy" in the space of half a second... if not, please believe me, i know what i saw!!

just took another screenshot, this one also panned out, & also looking "foggy" -

edit on 20-5-2011 by pattonisit because: furious

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
LINK
Confirmed: EPA Rigged RADNET Japan Nuclear Radiation Monitoring Equipment To Report Lower Levels Of Fukushima Fallout

Sorry my bad....
Wow that was the hardest I have ever worked to make a functioning link,
I finally got it with google url shortener.
Strange it took 7 trys for me to get a functioning link!

edit on 20-5-2011 by AlaskanDad because: added tittle for link

edit on 20-5-2011 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-5-2011 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Original post by makeitso on page 881 last post

Tepco posted a pic of the U.S. Navy barge that brought fresh water, now leaving Fukushima.
It has several canvas covered objects on deck that were not there when it arrived, and its sitting lower
in the water than when it arrived carrying 225000 gallons of fresh water.

I was wondering if we could find out where this barge went/is going to?
If we could find out, then we may have a chance to find out what it has underneath the tarps.

The trouble is that once the barges have left, they may as well disappear off the face of the Earth, since no-one tracks them.

This would seriously help in our investigation of what is in/on this barge.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
This is the latest update from RSOE EDIS:

Situation Update No. 114 On 20.05.2011 at 02:47 GMT+2 One of the few workers to be tested for radioactivity after March's nuclear disaster in Japan is exhibiting over 10 times the accepted levels . "My measured value exceeded the standard value by a double-digit factor. That's never happened before," a plant worker told Japan's Yomuri. The man, an employee of a company that works with TEPCO, installed power cables near a reactor building at the plant for a month beginning at the end of March. While a normal internal radiation level would range from several hundred to 1,000 counts per minute , he was told his level was 30,000 cpm. The report noted that there were high levels of radiation in the parts surrounding the mans work area. And although the masks worn by workers are supposed to be changed every three hours, he was told by a management that he did not have to change it if there was no radioactive contamination. He therefore used a single mask for five to six hours. As of May 8, 630 workers, or just 10 percent of all workers at the plant, had taken the test, the paper reported. More than two months after a 9.0 magnitude earthquake and a deadly tsunami set off the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl. More than 70,000 people have been forced to evacuate their homes because of health risk and last week the government workers began killing more than a 1,000 cattle which were within the Fukushima "no-go" zone. The government has retaliated by declaring a plan to help the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) to pay the victims of the crisis with the money they draw from other organizations and taxpayers. The plan has to be approved by parliament as opposition has already showed its dissatisfaction.

Worker's radiation level was 30,000 cpm!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
here are the latest night photo of Fukushima, averaged over 200 frames, sharpened and contrast enhanced.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Thank you so much for the information. Did a bit more digging on how Radnet operates. Hope this is helpful.

Radnet powerpoint presentation showing monitoring equipment.

Source

EPA website links for operators of radnet monitoring system

Link for operators

Interesting access point detailed to calibrate remote equipment from Radnet's central office via cellphones:

In addition to daily review and evaluation of each monitor's hourly data, RadNet personnel conduct numerous routine Quality Assurance activities. The monitors' highspeed cellphone connections provide remote access for performing remote instrument adjustments and for observing real-time acquisiton of radiation data.

Source

A way into the system?

Type N/A in id...
See this link for setting up new accounts -

Link to "register"

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Would appreciate help by our EQ watchers in understanding the future risk of this confirmed overshoot on the fault please.

March 11 quake triggered dynamic overshoot of fault

The team, led by Satoshi Ide, an associate professor of seismology at the University of Tokyo's science department, analyzed the process of the rupture for the first 100 seconds by examining seismic waves recorded by seismographs around the world.

"A strong spatial variation of rupture characteristics in the M9.0 Tohoku-Oki megathrust earthquake controlled both the strength of shaking and the size of the tsunami that followed," he said.

"Finite source imaging reveals that the rupture consisted of a small initial phase, deep rupture for up to 40 seconds, extensive shallow rupture at 60 to 70 seconds, and continuing deep rupture lasting over 100 seconds," the Ide team said, according to Science.

"A combination of a shallow dipping fault and a compliant hanging wall may have enabled a large shallow slip near the trench," it said. "Normal faulting aftershocks in the area of a high slip suggest a dynamic overshoot on the fault."

Ide added, "An overshoot had been theoretically speculated, but this is the first time it was confirmed. We have to take that into account as we ponder future policies."

Full story

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
An attempt at plausible deniability?

We know this information was withheld from the public for much longer. How are they going to explain that one?

Gov't crisis center kept in dark over data on radiation dispersal

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- The government crisis management center was not informed about data on the predicted dispersal of radioactive substances caused by the nuclear accident at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, top government spokesman Yukio Edano said Friday.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Edano told a news conference that the premier's office received a fax of the computer-simulated estimates about the dispersal of radioactive materials in the early hours of March 12, a day after the powerful earthquake and tsunami that triggered the nuclear crisis, but this remained in the hands of an official at the office and was not passed on to him or Prime Minister Naoto Kan.

This would mean that Kan, when he inspected the Fukushima plant by air on the morning of March 12, was unaware of such estimates using the Nuclear Safety Technology Center's networked computer system known as SPEEDI, or system for prediction of environmental emergency dose information.

Source

It takes a great deal of "nerve" to complain about not being handed the data - when the government then withheld this data once they received it until nearly two months later. "Smelly Fish Icon" The following information is from a May 2 story:

Japanese Government Places Residents at Risk Withholding Fukushima Radiation Projection Data Until Now

The Japanese government has decided to begin releasing data projecting the spread of radiation from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant almost two months after the March 11th earthquake. Preventing panic and maintaining order was the justification for withholding information that could be valuable for affected residents. As of April 24th radiation measurements as high as 97 µSv/h are still being detected in Fukushima City.

The withheld data is from a computer system called SPEEDI that predicts the spread of radioactive substances based on actual radiation measurements at various locations and weather conditions.

The decision to withhold the data until now was made by a joint task force of the Japanese government and Tokyo Electric Power Company. About 5,000 undisclosed bits of data will be released from Tuesday.

The information will be disclosed on the websites of the science ministry, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, and the Nuclear Safety Commission.

In traditional Japanese practice the secretary-general of the joint task force and advisor to the prime minister, Goshi Hosono, apologized for the delay in releasing the data.

Hosono said the task force withheld the information because some data were based on overly rigorous assumptions and feared it may trigger panic.

Source

More circus acts and cya activities to watch. Sorry TEPCO.gov....we remember what you already did. Their complaint and cya attempt isn't flying here.Sell it somewhere else. Eyes on target.

So was the SPEEDI map sent to the local Fukushima government 8 hours late accurate or did it contain false information???

Radiation prediction map not sent to Fukushima right after nuke crisis

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- The central government failed to send to Fukushima Prefecture a map showing areas with potential volume of radioactive materials released into the atmosphere for more than eight hours after the nuclear power plant there was crippled in the wake of the March 11 earthquake and ensuing tsunami, sources in the prefectural government said Monday.

The delay in delivering the map, which was supposed to be sent to local governments in emergency situations to help them take swift safety measures, is likely to have impeded the local government's effective evacuation of residents.

The map was created after the Fukushima Daiichi power plant lost power at around 3:30 p.m. on the day of the disasters but was not delivered immediately to the local government as a dedicated line for sending the data and a terminal in the prefecture for receiving it had been destroyed by the devastating quake, according to an agency commissioned by the central government to create such maps.

Source

These stories are anything but straight.
edit on 20-5-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Interesting...

Atmosphere Above Japan Heated Rapidly Before M9 Earthquake

They say that before the M9 earthquake, the total electron content of the ionosphere increased dramatically over the epicentre, reaching a maximum three days before the quake struck.

www.technologyreview.com...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Watchdog my A$$

Gov't nuclear watchdog holds conference to clear radiation misunderstanding

A government nuclear watchdog has released an explanation of the "basic thinking" that was behind its remarks on radiation from the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant, saying it wanted to clear up a misunderstanding that there was no problem with being exposed to up to 20 millisieverts of radiation a year.

The watchdog, the Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan (NSC), said that when making decisions on restrictions that will affect the lives of residents, it uses "the latest knowledge and the standards of the International Commission on Radiological Protection" as a base, and considers "the psychological and societal effects on residents."

It said that a 20-millisievert per year radiation dose limit released by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology -- leading to restrictions on outside activities at elementary and junior-high schools -- had "bred a misunderstanding that it is OK to be exposed to up to 20 millisieverts per year."

The NSC also pointed out the long time required until the Fukushima incident is settled, and the importance of decontamination and other measures to reduce residents' radiation exposure.

"It is best to limit radioactive exposure as much as possible, but some people took the government's information to mean that radiation exposure up to 20 millisieverts per year is acceptable. We want to fulfill our responsibility to clear up the facts," said Haruki Madarame, head of the commission.

Source

In other words, we should have evacuated these people, we still are not evacuating these people, and the kids are at risk, but WE TOLD YOU SO. Well we didn't tell you so, but now we are telling you that the upper limit isn't good, but move along citizen...just avoid those sand boxes kids.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
4.2 meters of highly radioactive water found in unit 1 basement area.

The plant's operator, the Tokyo Electric Power Company, sent workers inside the No.1 reactor on Friday as part of preparations to install a cooling system to stabilize the reactor core.

TEPCO suspects that the reactor's fuel rods have melted down, creating holes in a pressure vessel and damaging the reactor's containment vessel. Contaminated water is apparently leaking from the holes. Under a revised plan announced this week, the utility plans to decontaminate the water and circulate it to cool the reactor core.

Two workers who went into the building on Friday morning stayed there for about one hour, and confirmed that water in the basement was roughly 4.2 meters deep. That's slightly more than a week ago, when TEPCO first confirmed the existence of water there. 4 other workers later took over and spent about 90 minutes on the ground floor using a gamma camera to measure the spread and densities of radiation.

source

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Radiation limits activities in school fields

More than 90 percent of elementary and junior high schools in Fukushima City disallow or limit outdoor activities for students in their athletic fields due to radiation-contaminated topsoil. In Fukushima Prefecture at the grounds of some elementary and junior high schools in April radiation levels exceeded the government limit of 3.8 microsieverts per hour. The level dropped to below the limit at all of the schools last week. But NHK research has found that 69 out of 72 public elementary and junior high schools in the area were disallowing or limiting outdoor activities in the athletic fields as of Thursday. The schools say that they cannot judge whether radiation levels are safe enough even though they have dropped. They also refer to the request by parents that students not be allowed to play outside. These schools let students use gyms or play cards during the breaks. Fukushima City is planning to start removing the contaminated topsoil at some schools as early as this month. But schools are still worried about radiation as the troubled nuclear plant remains unstable

source

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
reply to post by MedievalGhost

I'm so glad you are keeping up with what the children are being put through. This is just sickening. Many, many people were begging for schools in this area to be closed. They were ignored.

Radiation exposure standard for Fukushima students set at international maximum

The government has set the permissible hourly radiation dose at schools in Fukushima Prefecture at 3.8 microsieverts -- a level that would see students absorb the internationally recognized maximum of 20 millisieverts per year.

The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology set the hourly allowable dose for kindergartens, nursery, primary and junior high schools in Fukushima Prefecture on April 19. In order to keep students within the new standard maximum dose, the ministry has also called on the schools to limit children's time outside.

The standard is designed to prevent students from absorbing more than the maximum 20 millisieverts per year set by the International Commission on Radiological Protection, and is based on the assumption that students spend about eight hours per day outdoors.

To further validate the new standard, at the request of the government the Cabinet Office's Nuclear Safety Commission will continue to monitor radiation levels at Fukushima schools by issuing portable dosimeters to teachers.

Source

They are raising and training the next generation of Fukushima 50 quickly. Authorities, of course, say their assumptions are based on a belief that exposures to radiation will decline.

The education ministry's safety committee has also pointed out that overall radiation exposure will probably drop over time as radioactive material reaches its half-life, making the 3.8 microsievert hourly limit "really on the safe side."

Drop over time? Based on what actual progress or evidence of progress at stopping simultaneous meltdowns? That they are willing to let their lie risk these children is beyond criminal. No shame. No honor. No forgiveness.
edit on 20-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

they are really backpeddling on this...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
TEPCO press release

TEPCO have decided that with the change in their leadership, and $15 billion losses - mostly due to fukushima, they are going to re-designate the work at the nuclear power plant. The work will no longer be to cool the reactors but to decommission the entire plant. This includes units 5 and 6, and shelve plans for new units 7 and 8.

The press release also reveals (if you read between the lines) that units 1 through 4 have all suffered meltdown.

Wonder when the details of core status for units 2 and 3 will be published?, at the moment there seems little news available (probably due to change in board and release of financial statements)

We deeply apologize for the anxiety and inconvenience caused to local residents near the site and broader society due to the accident at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station caused by the Tohoku-Chihou- Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake that occurred on March 11 2011. Today, we held a Board of Directors meeting where it was decided to decommission Units 1 to 4 and abolish plans to build Units 7 and 8 at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station. Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station was severely damaged due to the Tohoku-Chihou-Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake and the tsunami that followed after. In particular, the melting of the fuel pellets inside Units 1 to 4 caused them significant damage. This was followed by a series of explosions. Hence, the decision to decommission them was made. Furthermore, in consideration of the societal impact, we believe that it would be very difficult to gain acceptance from local residents with regards to building additional Units 7 and 8 and therefore, decided to abolish their construction plans. In regard to procedures for filing applications to the government in connection with the said determination to decommission and abolish, we will continue to consult with the government and relevant authorities. Moreover, the reactors of Units 5 and 6 of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, together with the reactors of Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station, have been successfully brought to a cold shutdown. However, a detailed investigation is still pending. For the time being, we will take appropriate measures in a timely manner to keep the reactors in a cold shutdown.

source

top topics

<< 881  882  883    885  886  887 >>

join