Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 872
<< 869  870  871    873  874  875 >>

join

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I was doing a bit of searching in Google Earth the other day with all the layers on, including Panarimo photos and ran across these:

If you look, you will see clear damage to the ground which I believe to be caused by the earthquake and are in no way related to the ensuing tsunami.

The one that shows that vehicles near the water may have some damage to the parking lot from the water, but the drive in the foreground is on the grade and above the level the water reached.

I found these on my daughter's laptop, so I don't have access currently to the browsing history and haven't been able to relocate them in Google Earth on the main computer. It's possible that they've been pulled...it's also equally possible I'm an idiot and just can't find them, or the Panarimo photo stream, again.

Either way, I thought I would post these for all to view and see if anyone else can find these...

ETA:Source found here
edit on 16-5-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: found source of photos

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

This wave of nausea brought to you by the good ol'USofA.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Cool photos... Don't worry about having probs finding stuff , it happens to me all the time, I though white caps were seagulls.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
wow think i finally caught up, i was so far behind... thanks again for your quality posts & links

reply to post by Hellhound604

thanks for your link... i'll requote this part again -

Within 16 hours, the reactor core melted, dropped to the bottom of the pressure vessel and created a hole there. By then, an operation to pump water into the reactor was under way. This prevented the worst-case scenario, in which the overheating fuel would melt its way through the vessels and discharge large volumes of radiation outside

i realize we all know about this... but now we have tepco admitting meltdown, the above is also an admission by tepco that "large volumes of radiation have been discharged outside", is it not?

something they would have known in advance, prior to the crisis, at least hypothetically speaking?

that vital preventative measures were initially delayed because the head honchos were mysteriously unavailable for guidance at the beginning of the crisis... & shortly after, workers had complained of being held up again, due to officials being flown by helicopter around the plant says so much

tepco officials are so damn liable, & so damn complicit in the early development, & resulting clusterfluff, of this crisis -

this horribly uncaring & dismissive comment (from one of my previous posts) haunts my thoughts every single day -
tepco rep - the workers are "not heroes, they are doing what they should do"

well, at least someone was/is doing what they should have been/are doing, eh, mr crapco rep?

we need a super-dooper "peoples of the world against tepco" mega-lawyer with a sparkling halo to take on these monsters
ughhh

btw, may i ask - is anyone getting anywhere spreading word of the ongoing crisis?

i'm still drawing very little attention, despite my best efforts... as awful as it sounds, i'm resorting to using the "what about your children's future etc?" angle & pushing things that way... though it's the truth, & my greatest fear/concern

thanks for making me laugh, Silverlok, twas genius

hermetically-sealed/rad-containment/worker-death-trap tents? - fukushima off, tepco

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

That is definitely damage from liquefaction and is probably one of the reasons that the entire turbine building for #1 seems to be leaning towards the sea.

I cannot imagine that they have any uncracked concrete anywhere in that place.

The photos bare a striking resemblance to the ones link , I have seen one of them before but those others are new to me .

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I just heard they are evacuating people from a further 20 kilometer radius..

This was on ABC radio but I see nothing on the news..

Anyone else hear this??

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Could we have been any more right:

(Reuters) - The operator of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant said it is studying whether the facility's reactors were damaged in the March 11 earthquake even before the massive tsunami that followed cut off power and sent the reactors into crisis.

Oh, what's that you say? An earthquake that is able to alter the earth's orbit may have damaged the location a nuclear reactor is sited upon? You don't say?

A finding that the reactors were damaged by the quake itself could complicate the growing debate on the future of nuclear power in Japan at a time when Tokyo is under pressure from local officials to tighten safety standards.

Good, let's complicate things to an entire other level, shall we?

And the following is nothing but ass-covering backwash:

"We can certainly say that if the venting took place a little earlier, we could have prevented the situation from worsening," Nuclear Safety Commission Chairman Haruki Madarame told parliament

I don't think anything could have prevented the worsening of the situation once the earthquake happened.

The only thing that could have been done, not build the reactor in the first place, was made a moot point decades ago.

Source for above quotes

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxPUSH0Noo

Originally posted by xxPUSH0Noo

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
New cryptome photos

here

What is censored in those pictures??? Starting in the first pic and continuing down there are a FEW objects in pixels !!
edit on 12-5-2011 by xxPUSH0Noo because: spelling
edit on 12-5-2011 by xxPUSH0Noo because: added

& Can anyone tell me what is in these pictures that is censored? I am sure it is nothing but I asked earlier and I don't know if that is why no one answered.. has anyone else noticed this?

I guess it is the time/datestamp that is blocked out. Don't know why though

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
found this interesting blog on youtube :

hmmm, Stuxnet and Israel shows up again.... If I look at all the backup-systems for emergency cooling that failed, and some of these systems just need an open valve to function, no electricity, etc. The more I think of it, the more it looks like sabotage to me (either that, or everything about these redundant backup-systems are BS). I also found this old threat from right in the beginning of the Fu*kshima crisis on ATS : www.abovetopsecret.com...
and this one rothkopf.foreignpolicy.com...

current.com...
warsclerotic.wordpress.com...

Damn, now I am really start to sound like a conspirator, but it is the onliest thing that makes any sense. Too many backup systems have failed...

edit on 16/5/2011 by Hellhound604 because: added more links
edit on 16/5/2011 by Hellhound604 because: added even more links
edit on 16/5/2011 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
from all the links, and a lot more technical links I have on stuxnet, and glancing through the StuxNet source-code (available on-line too), I surmise the following happened : The Fukushima PLC-systems were infected (either deliberately on by accident) by Stuxnet (or a variant of it), that didn't allow the emergency valves for the steam-pumps to open. I will have to delve deeper into the Stuxnet code, but it could have been an unintentional side-effect, and then everything just went worse from that point on.

If it was deliberate sabotage, with a custom-tailored StuxNet variant, then we enter a new ball-game, and becomes the first link tha I posted with #4 deliberately being destroyed by a nuclear weapon more likely.

I am not sure if I should delve deeper into this, as my hairs are starting to raise by just the thought that this incident might have been caused deliberately. I believe in the goodness of humankind, and to think of somebody deliberately sabotaging a nuclear-plant shakes my very belief-system.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
16 May 2011 - 12H21

Moody's downgrades Japan's TEPCO

www.france24.com/en/20110516-moodys-downgrades-japans-tepco

AFP - Ratings agency Moody's on Monday again downgraded TEPCO, the operator of Japan's stricken Fukushima nuclear plant, and warned the rating would remain on review for further possible action.

The agency said it downgraded Tokyo Electric Power's senior secured debt by one notch to Baa2. It also downgraded TEPCO's long-term issuer rating two notches to Baa3 from Baa1.

It was its third downgrade of Asia's biggest utility since the March 11 earthquake.

(...)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

TEPCO admits nuclear meltdown occurred at Fukushima reactor 16 hours after quake

Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) admitted for the first time on May 15 that most of the fuel in one of its nuclear reactors at the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant had melted only about 16 hours after the March 11 earthquake struck a wide swath of northeastern Japan and triggered a devastating tsunami.

According to TEPCO, the operator of the crippled nuclear power plant, the emergency condenser designed to cool the steam inside the pressure vessel of the No. 1 reactor was working properly shortly after the magnitude-9.0 earthquake, but it lost its functions around 3:30 p.m. on March 11 when tsunami waves hit the reactor.

Based on provisional analysis of data on the reactor, the utility concluded that the water level in the pressure vessel began to drop rapidly immediately after the tsunami, and the top of the fuel began to be exposed above the water around 6 p.m. Around 7:30 p.m., the fuel was fully exposed above the water surface and overheated for more than 10 hours. At about 9 p.m., the temperature in the reactor core rose to 2,800 degrees Celsius, the melting point for fuel. At approximately 7:50 p.m., the upper part of the fuel started melting, and at around 6:50 a.m. on March 12, a meltdown occurred.

Junichiro Matsumoto, a senior TEPCO official, said, "Because there is similar damage to the fuel rods at the No. 2 and 3 reactors, the bottoms of their pressure vessels could also have been damaged." He said the utility would carry out similar analysis on the two reactors.

Source

How long will it take them to admit that a roadmap to control reactors that no longer hold the fuel is also useless?

So why aren't they doing this:

Originally posted by Silverlok

They should take sand , Portland cement and 3% (by weight) rice and drop that in the basement of those places in the proper ratios 'dry' , They could blow it in with a machine similar to the thing that blows insulation into the attic. Then they should start filling the pcv (drywell/big steel lightbulb ) with the same thing (dry) , once they have the basement filled they should start on the trench / seawall , they are never going to get the corium out of there, ever period.

They should waste no more time and start the entombment process or face trial as criminals. Seriously how much longer can they be allowed to pollute the ocean and air?

Maybe because our "world leaders" believe this:

Originally posted by Maluhia

The steep drop in Tepco's stock price has already dealt a blow to investment funds in the United States. Nearly 20 percent of its stock is held by non-Japanese investors. This has reportedly led the Obama administration to urge the Kan government to take steps to prevent a further decline in Tepco stock.

japan times

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Japanese citizens protest in front of TEPCO headquarters Saturday. These people must not have gotten the memo from the world leaders that their lives are less important than stock values at TEPCO. May their numbers swell and send the world leaders...another memo.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Who benefits?

What perfect storm has created the public will for oil and gas to again lead the energy market in the near future? Fukushima. Nuclear fears after accidents at plants around the U.S. in past weeks. High gas prices at the pump.

Perfect playbook to completely switch public will back towards the powers that be in the oil and gas industry. I guess we figured out who some of the "lucky ones" are.

Who would have thought one year ago, this headline would be a relief to the citizens of America when announced Saturday?

Obama to open Alaska petroleum reserve to new drilling

The broad energy plan, coming as gas prices continue to rise, would also fast-track environmental assessment of petroleum exploration elsewhere.President Obama will open Alaska's national petroleum reserve to new drilling, as part of a broad plan aimed at blunting criticism that he is not doing enough to address rising energy prices.

Source

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Good Morning my Fine, Fine Friends. I can't thank you enough for all your hard work. For using minds unhindered by complacency, to discuss these horrendous issues. Someone asked how we were dealing with getting the word out. Sorry I can't remember your name, but I resonate with all you said. So, to answer your question. As time has continued to flow, so has the window of opportunity to "get to people". Some I try to tell the truth to, I can see that flicker of insane fear, for just a moment in their eyes. I can hear the sharp intake of breath, that lets me know, they know what I'm saying. But then, the programming takes a firm hold, and I see/hear, that oily soothing drug of denial kick in. They change subject in a heartbeat. If I attempt to pull them out of their drug of choice, denial's grip again. They get agitated. They don't want to go there, it's too horrible for them to open their eyes, and actually take a long hard look at reality. In other words, harsh as they may seem, they are happy cattle in line at the slaughter house. They will stay that way until, kicking and screaming at the moment of their turn under the blade. I think it will be a heavy burden, for those of us willing to take in their offspring, and raise them as our own. Unfortunately, this is one of the many futures I see, for many like us. It will be the children's children, that may, someday, find some miracle element to heal this wounded Earth. I'm so jaded right now, hope my bleak colors, don't bleed over you too much.

This forum, has become like a therapist, who specializes in lost hope, to me sometimes. I thank you all, from the bottom of my Soul, for affording me a place to just be myself, warts, farts and all. I also know, these feelings fluctuate. I sometimes find the collective energy of all of us melding, to be a boost to hope. That yes, we as a species do have hope. Goddess, I ramble...off to dig in the mines....ETA. TY pattonisit for asking how we're doing getting the word out.

Bright Blessings

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
At last ABC news starting some coverage...

Japan extends the exclusion zone around Fukushima

Mark Willacy reported this story on Monday, May 16, 2011 08:11:00

Japan has begun evacuating people from outside the official exclusion zone around the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant.

With radiation levels remaining high, small children and pregnant women were the first to be moved with thousands more to be shifted into shelters and temporary housing.

As the evacuation zone widened more details have emerged about the meltdown in Fukushima's reactor number one, with revelations the fuel rods probably melted in the hours after the magnitude nine earthquake in March - a fact not discovered until last week.

(Norio Kanno speaking)

"I'm sure most of you have lived in this village all your lives and have never planned on moving," Iitate's mayor Norio Kanno tells residents. "To those of you that I now have to ask to pack up and leave your homes, I am deeply sorry," he says.

Because of wind patterns Iitate and nearby communities have been swathed in high radiation and authorities aren't willing to let people stay any longer.

As these new evacuations began, more news filtered out about the meltdown of fuel rods at Fukushima's reactor number one.

After the operator of the plant, TEPCO, told the Japanese people that things were stabilising at Fukushima, it's now clear they knew far less about the situation than they were willing to admit.

This is Mark Willacy in Tokyo for AM. Full Story link www.abc.net.au...

I'm going to email them, let them know how much I appreciate their coverage....

[exStreet Address Radio Current Affairs
ABC Ultimo Centre
Level 1, 700 Harris Street
Ultimo NSW 2007

Postal Address Radio Current Affairs
GPO Box 9994
In your capital city

Phone +61 2 8333 2177

Fax +61 2 8333 2167

Email link page: www.abc.net.au...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Ripples ripples ripples...the financial news agencies will stay on top of this I predict...MSM, may follow, one can only hope.

Tepco Says Fuel in 2 Reactors May Have Melted

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said fuel in other reactors at its damaged nuclear plant may have melted, after confirming rods in the No. 1 unit had fallen from their assembly, potentially delaying plans to resolve the crisis.

“The findings at the No. 1 reactor indicate the likelihood that the water level readings in the other reactors aren’t accurate,” Junichi Matsumoto, a general manager at the utility known as Tepco, said today. “It could be that a meltdown similar to that in the No. 1 reactor has occurred.”

Moody’s Japan K.K. cut Tepco’s credit ratings and put it on review for further possible downgrade after today’s news. Tepco has been struggling to cool reactors and stop radiation leaks to end the worst nuclear crisis since Chernobyl in 1986. The discovery that fuels rods melted within 16 hours of power being knocked out means it’s unlikely Tepco can meet its timetable for containing the leaks, a nuclear engineering professor said.

“Tepco didn’t clearly indicate how much uncertainty and potential negative scenarios were factored into the road map,” said Hironobu Unesaki at Kyoto University. “I don’t think they gathered enough data before coming up with the plan.” www.bloomberg.com...

Des

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Some polls and surveys in Japan...good read.

Most Japanese dissatisfied with gov't post-quake efforts
English.news.cn 2011-05-16 15:37:45

TOKYO, May 16 (Xinhua) -- The majority of Japanese people are dissatisfied with the government's post-disaster handling but are in favor of a tax hike to raise funds for restoration efforts in the wake of the March 11 disasters,the Mainichi Daily News reported Monday.

The survey, conducted on April 16 and 17, also revealed that 58 percent of respondents did not trust the government's announcements about the release of radioactive material from the plant.

Regarding their views on the government's handing of the Fukushima nuclear crisis, 23 percent said that they were completely dissatisfied with the way the government had dealt with the ongoing incident at the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear power plant, while 45 percent said they were not very satisfied, the poll showed.

news.xinhuanet.com...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
See what all those lies lead to.....

“Investors are avoiding putting money on risk assets, strengthening the yen and weighing on the stock market,” said Naoki Fujiwara, who helps oversee $6 billion in Tokyo at Shinkin Asset Management Co. “Uncertainty about compensation from the nuclear disaster and concern about the Japanese government’s credibility may be weighing down the market.”

Japan Stocks Slide for Third Day on Goldman Rating Cut

www.bloomberg.com...]

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
...as TEPCO continues attempting to nail jello to a wall...the wall keeps moving...

M 4.8, near the east coast of Honshu, Japan

Monday, May 16, 2011 15:53:34 UTC
Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:53:34 AM at epicenter

Depth: 43.40 km (26.97 mi)

Posted on 16 May 2011 | 3:53 pm

newsblogged.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 869  870  871    873  874  875 >>

join