It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 866.htm
<< 863  864  865    867  868  869 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
In the Light of Love,

May we continue to extend our hearts to Japan:

www.youtube.com...

This is a video by a couple of my beloved friends.

Love Antar Rishu
edit on 14-5-2011 by antar because: Link not working for me.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoswho69
reply to post by Vitchilo

Death of Fukushima N-Plant Worker Attributed to Heart Disease - JIJI PRESS

This is completely expected. I can't imagine that they would ever admit that he died due to their shameful working conditions, or because of radiation poisoning. We don't know the truth but TEPCO do! It is on their conscience.

workers engaged in efforts to stabilize the crisis-hit Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant are at risk of depression or death from overwork, a doctor who recently saw them said Wednesday.

Kyodo

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Kimono for reactor buildings

Hopefully Reactor Unit 1 will have the first installed end of May 2011

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by imlite

The 70's are back!
Who would have thought a giant leisure suit could save the planet.
Burn baby burn........ disco distraction..........

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by imlite
Kimono for reactor buildings

Hopefully Reactor Unit 1 will have the first installed end of May 2011

What material are these kimono's made out of...I'm having a hard time believing any sort of material will stop this...They dumped 5000 tons of sand, boron, and concrete on chernobyl....

TEPCO says a polyester sheet will be attached to steel frames, enclosing the 50-meter-tall building.

from nhk here Nhk
Polyester resists radiation?

edit on 14-5-2011 by Jrosh because: to remove extra

edit on 14-5-2011 by Jrosh because: cause

edit on 14-5-2011 by Jrosh because: more info

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by imlite

reply to post by imlite

Do you have any further information on that part of the proposal or a hyperlink/url to source?

I'd like to see more of what TEPCO are proposing there, and how exactly it marries up with the infered renewal of strategy in reaction to the higher than anticipated, and accelerating radiation levels on site, increased complications from uncontrolled and exposed criticalities in the area (not necessarily from #1), nutron beams?, hurricanes, EQs, #4 sfp falling down a few metres away, etc... that any construction workers may have to brave to get those sheds up? i.e. Is this part of their renewed strategy or a leftover from the prior one?

Otherwise it looks rather like a nice good news titbit thrown out in the wake of recent waves of horror stories...Perhaps a leftover that cost so much to develop to this stage someone felt they ought at least publish it in the public domain whilst they react to this weeks activity?

Anyone got any idea whether any potential future explosive incidents/criticalities could affect the electronics of the site (EMP?), and the temporary cooling system BELIEVED to be propping up the common SFPs, or other Rs/SFPs?

PS - Good work everyone, I have been reading everyday, and dig a little but nothing further of note found yet.
edit on 14-5-2011 by curioustype because: typo

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

By the way, re EMP, I noticed that Arnie/Fairewinds last video makes it clear that one of the most profound issues he seems to think ought to come from this in relation to international regulation and safety standards OUGHT to be the public/industry THINKING about what happens when you have multiple criticalities and core breaches - currently an impossibility because the books they have agreed on say so.

I would suggest that in relation, and in addition to external EMP hazards/threats now recognised as a priority by say USA senior advisors on security and NASA, they maybe ought to take a look at as yet unprecedented EMP from on site 'impossibilities'?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, after all I'm not one of the geniuses with real responsibility there, I'm just a curious and bemused bystander.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I found the picture whilst searching the TEPCO press releases.

Sorry, just took a copy of the pic, read the detail and now can't find the press release again (been pulled?).

The NHK story is, if I remember correctly, almost verbatim what I read in the release:

TEPCO is going to cover the Number 1 reactor building, which lost its roof in a hydrogen explosion in March. On Friday, workers cleared rubble so that a big crane can be set up near the building. TEPCO says a polyester sheet will be attached to steel frames, enclosing the 50-meter-tall building. The company says the cover can withstand strong winds. TEPCO also says it will install a ventilator with a filter to capture radioactive materials that would otherwise be concentrated inside. To minimize radiation exposure among its workers, the company says the steel frames will be pre-assembled as much as possible, shortening the set up time at the plant. Saturday, May 14, 2011 06:01 +0900 (JST)

The sheet was of a heavy duty polyester rip stop design attached to a lightweight steel frame.

edit on 14/5/11 by imlite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by imlite

TEPCO also says it will install a ventilator with a filter to capture radioactive materials that would otherwise be concentrated inside. To minimize radiation exposure among its workers, the company says the steel frames will be pre-assembled as much as possible, shortening the set up time at the plant. Saturday, May 14, 2011 06:01 +0900 (JST)

Sounds to me like they are trying to enclose the reactor building so they can capture the airborne contaminents and filter them out....What size of particles? If we are at the molecular level I don't think polyester will stop it....
Seems like a true "cover up"

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Jrosh

I really hope the plan works out, I really do, but from what I've read on this thread I wouldn't bet on it either being done in the timeframe or being unhindered by significant access issues and 'unplanned' events at one of the several buildings of concern.

It's a shame we can't drill under and detonate a sub-terrainian nuke that could swallow the whole sorry mess underground and then damn off the water table/sea and cap over the top (some of the bomb test footage I've seen appeared to impolode and lower the surface), but I don't think they could do it there (on edge of coast as opposed to desert test footage).

With leaking criticalities under them, could the tents really succeed or survive?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Hello all, I just heard on NHK's 7 day show that the farmers in the Fukushima prefecture are trying to sell their contaminated tea.
Over and out....

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Fukushima and the latest meltdown in reactor 1 and, in all likilihood, 2 & 3 as well. What is a nuclear meltdown and what are the ramifications.

This appears to be the best explanation that I can find on the internet.

www.cavendishscience.org...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
This paragraph is truely terrifying.

" If the normal pumping of coolant through the reactor has failed, only minimal amounts of heat can be removed from the molten mass of uranium and fission products, except by the concrete and ultimately the ground. Once the reactor vessel bottom has been breached (melted), or if the accident began with a rupture of the reactor vessel, it is not possible to use the coolant circulation system even if the pumping could be restored. So, although 10 hours, or 3½ days or 15 days may seem like a long time, there is virtually nothing that anyone can do to affect the steady accumulation of heat energy or to cool or remove or scatter the uranium mix."

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
CONCLUSION

"The calculations we have done here do not allow us to say what would happen in the case of melting or rupture of the reactor vessel and the release of molten core to the containment floor. The calculations suggest that the possibility of a meltdown and subsequent release of vast quantities of radioactive fission products by upheaval of the ground under the reactor can not be ruled out as a possible consequence of a LOCA (Loss of Coolant Accident) in a common uranium reactor. "

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
uranium half life

www.ieer.org...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

At 10:00 am on May 13th, we restarted transferring accumulated water on the basement in the turbine building of Unit 6 to the temporary tank. At 3:00pm on the same day, we stopped the pumps for the transfer (approximately 100 m3).

It would appear that Tepco has a policy of using the basements of the turbine buildings as temporary holding pits..interestingly #6 is uphill so the water cannot be coming from the ocean so the question is are the pools at 5 and 6 having some problems ( we know that they have gone critical at least once already) or are they leaking also and Tepco is having to use the pump and dump method (like they are doing at 1,2,3&4) there also?

In the same update from above Tepco has been gluing the dust down like crazy:

On May 13th, we sprayed dust inhibitor to approximately 6,000 m3 area on the north and east sides of the turbine building of Units 1, using an unmanned crawler dump truck in order to prevent diffusion of radioactive materials.

- On May 13th, we sprayed dust inhibitor to approximately 5,250 m3 areas including nearby Solid Waste Storing Facility in a conventional method.

I guess they were doing that because they were taking air measurements and dust samples:

On May 13th, 2011, we conducted nuclide analyses of radioactive materials contained in the air which was collected at the site of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station on the same day. As a result, some radioactive materials were detected as described in the exhibit. Accordingly, today we have reported the result of the analyses to NISA and the government of Fukushima Prefecture. We will continuously conduct the same sampling surveys.

they are still showing fission by-products so we still have uncontrolled criticalities exposed to the environment
results1 2 3

I notice the dust levels are suspiciously low, so I guess we can see the connection to the spraying

The thing that really stick to my ribs is this ;

"By bringing the reactors and spent fuel pools to a stable cooling condition and mitigating the release of radioactive materials, we will make every effort to enable evacuees to return to their homes and for all citizens to be able to secure a sound life."

really , Tepco? and how do you plan on doing that ? but a company that lists 'death' as "bad health" is probably using a slightly different dictionary than the rest of us so some of those words probably don't mean what we think they mean.

It also appears that Tepco is getting really worried about what is happening at #3:

At 4:53 pm on May 12th, as a part of work to switch the water injection
line to the nuclear reactor of Unit 3 from the fire extinction system
piping arrangement to the reactor feed water system piping arrangement,

we started water injection through the reactor feed water system piping
arrangement at approximately 3 m3/h in addition to the fire extinction
system piping arrangement at approximately 9 m3/h.

At 4:01 pm on May
13th, we changed water injection amount to through the fire extinction
system piping arrangement at approximately 6 m3/h and the reactor feed
water system piping arrangement at approximately 6 m3/h.

So in the last couple of days they have increased they flow amount from 9 to 12 m3/h, but the temperatures are still rising

And even though the Japanese government all but said they are going to ignore the green peace data , Tepco is still showing criticality /fission evidence in the sub drains of 1,2,3,4&6 (looks like 5 missed out in the may13th round of duck duck goose)

results 1 2

If Tepco's numbers can be trusted it is pretty apparent that everything at that plant is having some kind of trouble , and only #5 is showing signs of starting to behave .

And I doubt tepco would be releasing this information :

On May 13th, 2011, we conducted the sampling of the seawater near the
intake canal of Unit 1 to 4 of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station and
analyzed them. As a result, some radioactive materials were detected as
described in the exhibit. Accordingly, we have reported the result of the
analysis to NISA and the government of Fukushima Prefecture.

We will continue to conduct the same kind of sampling.

If it wasn't getting pressure from greenpeace.

And on that note , haven't we heard Tepco sing this same song before ... I have to say it is not a very catchy tune ... but it does seem that they have been pumping and dumping in the ocean and the sewer pretty much the whole time , don't know how that's gonna get people back into their homes anytime soon

Lots of stuff in Tepco's press releases today : link

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Hello and Thankyou for the link www.tepco.co.jp...

I'll read the reports and get back.

Friday the 13th turned out to be a nice day until it began to rain cats and dogs.
I got the mowing done just in the nick of time.
Wettest spring in history and it didn't flood us out, don't figure, but can't say the same for the Misssissippi folks.
That flooding is just plane assinine

Oh I was going to ask, just how water soluable is that stuff they are spraying to keep down the dust.
Does it contain Borax or boran?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
It would appear that Tepco is getting it's air cooling"solution" moving forward . I cannot image how they plan on blowing air around inside those reactors that they know have open rpv's (cores) without discharging massive amounts of radioactive particles into the environment

Also Tepco has some sleazy photos taken with a seven hundred dollar camera ( certainly not something a day laborer would own) showing "training" at The Dani plant.

There is a pdf supposedly explaining themhere, but I cannot get it to down load, still seems like some odd misdirection...

For anyone whom hasn't caught it today EX-SKF has an interesting piece of translation from Professor Kunihiko Takeda of Chubu University a nuclear scientist:

On April 14 in Kanagawa, iodine-131 was detected at 48,000 becquerels/square meters, and cesium-134 and cesium-137 were detected at 53,000 becquerels/square meters each on the surface of the soil with small gravels...

But schools don't stop the use of the school yards.

They have school gyms. They could wash the floor and the walls of the gym clean to drastically reduce the radiation.

Why do school teachers want to expose children to radiation?.....

It looks like "as usual, just like last year", but there is one big difference.

That is, school yards and the water in the swimming pools weren't contaminated with radioactive materials last year. For children, radioactive materials are a poison.

Why do you take children to a poison? "We can't see a poison" say schools, but that's not what grown-ups should be saying.

Children doing push-ups on the dusty school yards. Their lips almost touch the dirt that has radioactive materials. If you are a teacher seeing this and if you don't think there's anything wrong with it, you'd better quit right away. You do not have aptitude to be a teacher....

In Japan, they moved cows from near the Fukushima Nuke Plant to all over Japan, to 24 different prefectures. Germany and Switzerland adhered to 1 millisieverts per year. Japan is saying "you have to put up with radiation...".

WoW go Doc!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I read this as they are SOL in the radiation department.
If he would of died by any other means than Radiation you would think they would spin it here.
I heard he was packing a chain saw and others have been burned on the back of their necks.
Chain Saw??
All else fails hire a logger....

Sorry...... Washington State joke.

Any how the report went on to say this ..
Injured etc
- At about 6:50 am on May14, a worker of a sub-contractor became a bad
health during a carrying work for drainage treatment system in the
Centralized Environment Facility. He was carried to hospital. We received
a notice from the hospital on phone that the worker died at 9:33 am on
May 14.
www.tepco.co.jp...
Not my english translation it was theirs.

edit on 14-5-2011 by rbrtj because: removed smiley because it not that funny.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

Once it sets up it is supposedly not water soluble at all , it is normally used as a concrete water sealant.

ON NHK today they have lots of Tepco news :

"TEPCO: Years needed to remove damaged nuclear fuel"

"Radioactivity at No.3 reactor leaking into ocean"

"TEPCO to review cooling operation"
..."But it now says that it will study a plan to circulate water directly from the basement, through a decontamination filter and heat exchanger, and then back into the reactor.

On Tuesday, TEPCO is expected to submit a revised operation schedule to the government. However, a series of problems facing the company is likely to delay its efforts to bring all the reactors at the facility under control.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 08:57 +0900"

This thread had that idea , oh about a month ago ....

"TEPCO looking into radioactive water leak"
"The company plans to bring in 10 heat exchangers by Tuesday and connect them to pipes.

Water can be sent to heat exchangers only when the containment vessel holds a certain level of water. Uncertainty regarding the current level of the water is another challenge facing TEPCO."

So in reality nothing they have done has worked , they really don't have any plan at this point, and are in almost the same situation as they were on march 16th. That is one sharp organization ...how can they still be in charge ?, they admit open cores , no more diddle f'n around start filling those things with sand or concrete or something to slow up the radiation and get to work building a containment and sea-wall trench ... it should have been started over a month ago . also they should be removing the rods from the pools at 5 and 6 for internment else where or in a dry casks and they also should be using the remote controlled trucks to be removing the rods from 1-4 also , even if they have to blast part of the roof off to get to them ....

edit on 14-5-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 863  864  865    867  868  869 >>

join