It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 86.htm
<< 83  84  85    87  88  89 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Any pressure/temperature high enough to blow a steel pressure vessel (the reactor), will not have a problem with concrete... and when it gets hot enough, the concrete itself will melt.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

"2.14pm The wind over the radiation-leaking nuclear plant in northern Japan will blow inland from the north-east and later from the east today" the Japan Meteorological Agency said, according to Reuters. Harmful radiation can spread via wind and rain.

www.news.com.au...

edit on 14-3-2011 by leisas4 because: was a quote

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Highground

*groan*...there is just too much to keep up with.

My main concern right now (other than for the people of Japan) is if I need to worry about the safety of my family.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I think that's a question best left for RedNeck. I'd suggest having potassium iodine ready, but not to necessarily start taking it just yet. This is only the beginning; don't deplete your supplies before absolutely necessary.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Highground because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I will be honest, I have steered clear of AJ when looking for answers, you know the old adage of keep your friends close but keep your enemies even closer?

Now I guess I better go listen to or read your link although I may regret it...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

RT @fieldproducer: All major news orgs now evacuating away from the area of the #Fukushima plant

this dont look good

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I already ordered it, we should have it by tomorrow. I am monitoring the live monitoring stations and following the news...but frankly, my confidence in waning now. Seems the worse possible scenario is coming true.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
my apologies if this is a repost but i found this and made a thread to get it out quick.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
so what is the site that detects radiation? i had the link once but accidentally deleted it off my favorites

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dyzan

Geiger counter in Toyko (check out the hockey stick!):
park18.wakwak.com...

The US Map:
www.radiationnetwork.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
BREAKING NEWS: Small amounts of radioactive substances detected in Tokyo (12:37) - Kyoto english.kyodonews.jp

When they start to move of the contry ?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Neutron radiation is what is produced from the uranium itself. It means the fuel rods are exposed to the atmosphere.

More confirmation of my earlier post.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Breaking News

Radiation is spewing from damaged reactors at a crippled nuclear power plant in tsunami-ravaged northeastern Japan in a dramatic escalation of the 4-day-old catastrophe. The prime minister has warned residents to stay inside or risk getting radiation sickness.

In a nationally televised statement, Prime Minister Naoto Kan said radiation has spread from the three reactors of the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant in one of the hardest-hit provinces in Friday's 9.0-magnitude earthquake and the ensuing tsunami. He told people living within 19 miles (30 kilometers)

"The level seems very high, and there is still a very high risk of more radiation coming out," Kan said.

www.msnbc.msn.com...
edit on 14-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by PresumedInnocent

Believe it or not, I am still a proponent of nuclear power. If that plant I worked in is completed (as is slated to happen if this doesn't change things), it will bring this whole area out of economic despair and poverty.

But I am also for common-sense reasoning with nuclear power. They should never be built on known fault lines, and especially not when designed to the largest known quake level. That is a 0% safety margin.

TheRedneck

How can you have a 0% safety margin when there is a profit motive. A company's highest goal is to generate the greatest profit at the least expense.

Think of the economic despair and poverty that will result from the events at Fukushima.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thanks that's what i was guessing...and yes I am seeing reports of 80cpm and climbing as well (unconfirmed) on twitter posts

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
2.30pm

French Embassy says low-level radioactive wind from the nuclear reactor could reach Tokyo within 10 hours.

www.news.com.au...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I guess it wouldn't have the same effect if they didn't use "Spewing" and sound like they're trying to make us crap our pants.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Kyodo headline says that a hydrogen explosion occurred at Reactor 4; Reuters reported this a hour and twenty minutes earlier.

I haven't seen this on any other website or heard it on a feed, or seen a picture/video of it. I am thinking that Reuters may have mixed this up with Reactor 2 (but the PM of Japan had already addressed this 30 minutes prior)? Little confused at this.
edit on 3/14/2011 by Konah because: grammar

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Yeah, like that how they lie for days and now decide to let everyone know
the bandini has hit the fan.

I guess that is their way.
edit on 14-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

My best guess right now is the main problem will be the I-131 in low doses, lower if you live east of the Cascade Range. Precipitation will wash most of the iodine out of the air.

I would recommend having potassium iodide ready and monitoring news for any indication of rising levels. Remember it is more effective at blocking I-131 exposure if taken just before contamination occurs.

I believe iodine-131 is the commonly-mentioned brownish cloud? Can anyone verify this?

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 83  84  85    87  88  89 >>

join