It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 835.htm
<< 832  833  834    836  837  838 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

If they've been floating the fresh water in over the top of the pools rather than through the normal circulating system, then I can see how the salt water would accumulate and possibly even concentrate near the bottom of the pool.

Seawater is denser than fresh water correct?

So any salts would concentrate near the bottom of the water as the fresh water that is being added will float to the top, leaving the saltwater (and all of the dissolved salts, etc in it) nearer the bottom and whatever reacting mass is down there.

Do we even know if they are still using fresh water or salt? I'm sure I've probably missed that detail, so I beg forgiveness and ask for a link if anyone has it.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Hi friends.

I found a disturbing item HERE.
I took a screengrab just in case...There are no readings present for Fuku. but there are in Tokyo...the numbers in Tokyo are less than they are in Alaska??? It reads 14 at my locale, presently, the same as in Tokyo.

edit on (5/6/1111 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Something I wanted to ask. I keep web cam open in a separate tab. Because the WC also has a live mic, I keep my speakers turned up high. Late in the evening, my time, speakers went off like I've never heard before. I was on a different tab, but WC keeps on truckin' in the back ground.I went to my EQ tab to see what was going on. Also checked my WC tab. It sounded like buildings shaking, groaning, steel grinding on steel, and loud crashes. What I did notice in WC tab, was a lot of steam/smoke coming from the right hand side, R3 I believe, not sure. Did anyone else hear this?

I'm going to search for any photos/vids anyone might have posted from last night of WC. Wish I knew how to screen grab...I would have posted the action I was seeing after the loud noises. I was thinking to myself, dayummm...wish I could post this shot...it doesn't look good/right.

news.tbs.co.jp...

TIA...Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Surprise surprise...not.

Japan Kept Secret on Fukushima Radiation Measurements
World | May 3, 2011, Tuesday

The Japanese government admitted it kept in secret at least 5000 radiation radiation measurements and assessments after the nuclear event which struck the Fukushima Daiichi NPP in March.

This was done in order not to induce panic in the population, a representative of the staff dealing with the nuclear emergency told ITAR-TASS.

"It was a wrong decision," he admitted, pointing out that all upcoming information abouth Fukushima Daiichi will be spread immediately.

The system which collects data about radiation leaks from the Japanese nuclear power plants does not work effectively, Japanese media have reported, according to the Russian agency. www.novinite.com...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
And just when we thought it couldn't get worse...another N plant in trouble. Video. very short.

www.google.com...=may+5+fukushima+radiation&hl=en&prmd=ivnsu&source=univ&tbm=nws&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=mgDETbbGEsGftgfW7KiwBA&sqi=2&ved=0CCsQqAI&ba v=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=bfc638d2affb955f

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
14 new photos from Crytome. May 6, 2011

This Feb. 2011 aerial photo shows Hamaoka nuclear power plant of Chubu Electric Power Co., in Omaezaki city, Shizuoka prefecture, central Japan. Prime Minister Naoto Kan told a news conference Friday, May 6, 2011, his government asked operator Chubu Electric Power Co. to suspend two running reactors and a third shut for a regular inspection at its Hamaoka nuclear plant, because of safety concerns in the event of a major earthquake. (AP Photo/Kyodo News)

Link... cryptome.org...

Des

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
PM Kan orders halt of ALL operations at another N plant in Japan. Concerned over risk to public.

Japan PM to ask Chubu to halt all ops at Hamaoka nuclear plant

TOKYO | Fri May 6, 2011 6:19am EDT

TOKYO May 6 (Reuters) - Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan said on Friday he will ask Chubu Electric Power Co to halt all operations at its Hamaoka nuclear plant in central Japan.

www.reuters.com...

Older photo of Chuba Facility here... cryptome.org...

What does Kan know, that we don't know. Everything I've found on this subject, it might even be for political reasons, to offset TEPCO'S losses in some insane balance sheet in Kan's mind.

Here is much more on the decision by Kan to halt ALL operations at Chuba N plant.
www.reuters.com...

Des

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
My oh my...something is up Folks...with the peak season for tourism and work just on the horizon, Japan is shutting down N. Plants left and right...hmmmmmm...

Fri May 6, 2011 5:01am EDT

(Adds Japan Atomic to shut Tsuruga plant No.2 reactor)

TOKYO, May 6 (Reuters) - The table below shows the latest operational status of Japan's
nuclear power plants according to each utility's website.

Kyushu Electric Power Co said on Friday it would shut its 890 megawatt Sendai No.1
reactor on May 10 for planned maintenance. It expects the reactor to be closed for about two
months before it restarts.

Electricity wholesaler Japan Atomic Power Co said on Friday it would shut the 1,160-megawatt
No.2 reactor at its Tsuruga nuclear plant on Saturday for an unplanned inspection.

The company had said on Monday it would consider shutting the reactor due to a technical
problem, adding that there had been no radiation leak from the facility. [ID:nL3E7G214]

After the shutdowns of the units, 20,923 megawatts of nuclear power generation capacity, or
42.7 percent of Japan's total, will be in operation, Reuters calculations show.

Japan's nine utilities and a wholesaler have 54 nuclear power generators for commercial use,
with a total generating capacity of 48,960 megawatts.

In the table below, capacities are shown in megawatts. "P" represents a planned regular
inspection shutdown and "U" an unplanned shutdown.

www.reuters.com...

Very informative N.plant chart at bottom of article.

Des

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
There is no mystery here about what is going on with reactor and plant closings. Strict new standards have been put in place since the big one for all plants regarding EQ and tsunami preparedness. When any reactor is shut down for regular maintenance it cannot restart until it meets those new standards. Some plants are being asked to shut down immediately because their risk to EQ's and tsunamis are much higher than others. All will have to comply with these new standards before they become operable again.

The Japanese gubmint has taken some pretty hard knocks here for not protecting the people, but when they do something right they still get criticized or suffer the ATS conspiracy dramarama.

There's just no pleasing some.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
reply to post by Silverlok

If they've been floating the fresh water in over the top of the pools rather than through the normal circulating system, then I can see how the salt water would accumulate and possibly even concentrate near the bottom of the pool.

Seawater is denser than fresh water correct?

So any salts would concentrate near the bottom of the water as the fresh water that is being added will float to the top, leaving the saltwater (and all of the dissolved salts, etc in it) nearer the bottom and whatever reacting mass is down there.

Do we even know if they are still using fresh water or salt? I'm sure I've probably missed that detail, so I beg forgiveness and ask for a link if anyone has it.

There was a lot of speculation about saltwater steaming off leaving salt deposits at the bottom of the reactor chambers but that was before we found out much of the water being injected into the pools and cores has been leaking. Depending on where those leaks are all that water could be sitting in the buildings, turbine rooms and underground chambers, not to mention out to sea, with all it's salt with it.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
TEPCO: Temperature rises at Number 3 reactor

www3.nhk.or.jp...

The Tokyo Electric Power Company, which operates the damaged nuclear power plant in Fukushima, says it has increased the cooling water flowing into the Number 3 reactor after an increase in temperature occurred over the past week.

On Wednesday, TEPCO increased the flow of cooling water from 7 tons to 9 tons per hour for the Number 3 reactor. The temperature at the bottom of the reactor was 143.5 degrees Celsius at 11 AM on Thursday, about 33 degrees higher than Wednesday last week.

TEPCO has been using temporary pumps to inject cooling water into reactors Number 1, 2 and 3. Their fuel rods are believed to have partially melted down after the tsunami disrupted normal cooling functions.

The operator says the temperature rise was apparently caused by a temporary decline in the amount of cooling water flowing into the Number 3 reactor.

TEPCO increased the amount of water of flowing into the Number 1 reactor for 2 days starting on Wednesday last week, the day when the temperature of the Number 3 reactor began to rise. The company says it continues to carefully monitor temperature changes.

Friday, May 06, 2011 07:29 +0900 (JST)

As I noted yesterday.

Tepco contradicts itself here, first it says it increases the amount of water being pumped in from 7 to 9 tons, then says the reason for the increase in temp was due to a drop in water flowing into the core. Either the leak got larger, more water is being boiled off or this is one reactor where the salt did build up so high at the bottom that is keeping the corium from being cooled and now may be going critical.

BTW - Since they increased the water flow on Wed the temp has continued to rise.
edit on 6-5-2011 by mrbillshow because: add

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

I'm with ya on that one.

The simplest answer is usually the right one and in this case the LAST thing Kan wants is more nuke issues, especially with the spotlight being shined so brightly. It's nothing more than being cautious to prevent more screwups and a good political move: shows he "cares".

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) officials remove a diesel electric generator at Nong Jok power plant in Bangkok April 27, 2011, before preparing it to be shipped to Japan. Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) requested last month to borrow Thailand's power generators for at least 3-5 years to ease Japan's power shortage caused by devastation from March 11's earthquake and tsunami. Thailand will send Japan two generators, each with capacities of 122 megawatts. The first generator is slated to be shipped May 9, and the second May 15, and both generators are likely to be fully operations in Japan in August.

cryptome.org...
cryptome.org...

Thankyou Des, for the links and info.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
OK, need someone else to take a look. When the WC zooms in, I'm seeing light action at Fukushima. Anyone?
As in, glowing around buildings on left/middle and lowish right hand side...square glowing buildings.

news.tbs.co.jp...

TIA...Des

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
www.myweathertech.com...

With wind forecasts continuing to carry high levels of radiation to the west coast, this could only makes the situation in America that much more deadly....

Minutes of meeting between TEPCO and the government on the 1st May. “If the current situation continues, high density radiation will be released on the 8th May.”

And elsewhere I read that the plumes will be deadly and anyone coming in contact from this more advanced release of radiation that they're finally admitting from advanced meltdown will be lethal. And its going to come here.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

fresh water added to salt water will not float on top, but rather dilute the salinity. Water can only hold so much salt before it reaches saturation level. When the water steams off the salt is left behind, growing crystals on the bottom. So when you add fresh water all you do is dissolve the salt so in effect you still have salt water.

Not sure on the reaction when salt (mostly sodium chloride but sea water has other salts as well) melts into the corium though

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

Yes, I do understand your point of view...but, I'm entitled to my point of view also. With all the proven lies so far...I'm allowed to think what I think, as are you.

Des

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I am seeing the same glowing buildings.
I also turned on my sound, it was on mute so i am no help in answering what you heard though.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It sounds like everyone is running out of time here, that unless something changes dramatically, that they're expecting a kind of fusion or chain reaction or just a huge release from these melted pools.

Now the 8th would that be Japan? How many days till this arrives here. We get major rainfall and fallout here. That would be the kind of thing where you would consider sealing off the house and hiding in the basement for 5 days? Or would this end, would it be ongoing?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Found an interesting report published in 1970 linked to on this page that shows how much of a problem just dealing with the water is on a normal basis.

It's title is:

STATUS OF SOLIDIFICATION AND DISPOSAL OF HIGHLY RADIOACTIVE LIQUID WASTES FROM NUCLEAR POWER IN THE USA.

Research Org Battelle-Northwest, Richland, Wash. Pacific Northwest Lab.; Oak Ridge National Lab., Tenn.

This is a copy/paste from the website thus the caps.

Whether it is leaking through cracks in the sublevels and eventually the bedrock/underground rivers or it is boiling away as steam, what we've got going on CONTINUOUSLY is an environmental contamination machine that is no closer to being shut down than the day it began.

One key thing I noted from skimming through the report is that these processes are performed in the 400c-1000c temperature range. I think we've had these temps at some of the reactors at various stages throughout this mess.

Another thing that struck me is when it talks abot the need to make sure these waste storage families are safe if unattended for "hundreds of thousands of years"

I can't copy/paste from this particular PDF on my iPhone but I suggest that anyone interested in learning more to at least look over the abstract and introduction.

By the way, they decided tk put this solidified and concentrated nuclear waste into salt mines.
edit on 6-5-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Typo

new topics

<< 832  833  834    836  837  838 >>

join