It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 786.htm
<< 783  784  785    787  788  789 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
On slightly different Note I think that The Japanese people ( and people all over the world ) should realize it's not just any one leader be it political or private but the system itself that is being used to choke the life out of people and the world , one little 'no immediate threat' step at a time. This video may have already been posted ( and I already linked it ) but notice how the police are being used , almost directed , by the nameless Tepco employee to suppress and control information:

We must remember, there are always two governments in Japan at any given time, that of the Emperor and that of the Shoguns (now called the Diet)... sometimes they are in harmony, sometimes not, but it is always the duty of every Japanese to help the Emperor in his sacred duty of protecting the spiritual beauty of the Japanese Islands.

And that requires dissenting opinion when anything threatens the continuity of life in Japan.

Therefore, at this time, loyal Japanese may express dissatisfaction with nuclear power and its proponents.

Another accident or two like Fukushima Daiichi could render Japan uninhabitable.

And THAT is, without question, unacceptable...

edit on 25-4-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Posted these some pages back, but thought I'd bring them forward in relation to your post, in case you have not seen it yet. Dr Caldicott and Monbiot debate the use of nuclear energy production vs coal on Democracy Now. You couldn't beat him over the head with a 50 lb book of facts and knock a bit of sense into him.

edit on 4/25/1111 by NoAngel2u because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Tepco cannot be allowed to claim the exemption to environmental disasters. This point needs to be driven home to such a degree that it becomes a clarion call.

There are too few words that have been uttered by any government or company official that I fimd much agreement with, but these words should be taken up and used:

Under law, TEPCO could be exempt from compensation for nuclear accidents caused by natural disasters. But in this case, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said in March that “it is impossible that Tokyo Electric would easily be exempted from liability for this accident.”

Source

He needs to be reminded of these words as does Tepco. Any who wish to hold the feet to the fire of those on whom responsibility can be lain would do well to publish these words far and wide. Mr Edano needs to hear a resounding chorus of support for this theme.

The financial powers of the world have a vested interest in this problem staying below the awareness of moat people:

Bank of America-Merrill Lynch said shareholders were very likely to take a big hit and a rapid resolution of the crisis was the only way to keep costs down.

If the situation can be turned around within the next two months, compensation costs may be less than 1 trillion yen. Costs will rise to 3 trillion yen if it drags on for six months, analyst Yusuke Ueda wrote.

Experts, however, say a final resolution of the nuclear disaster is likely to take decades and there could be many further setbacks.

Source

Nowhere in that article is there anything resembling compassion for the people or empathy for their plight. The power systems we have cultivated are rife with poisonous greed and home to corruption to such an extent that it would send many people into shock.

A long time ago I came to the conclusion that thise who sought control over others were the ones lost likely to seek to keep that power no matter the cost but who are themselves are unwilling to pay the price.
edit on 25-4-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Typo and formatting

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Here is a interesting tidbit of some radiation numbers finding a way to be released...

reactor 4 suppresion chamber
over 4000 sieverts per hour

that;s not micro...nor milli...but SIEVERTS per hour

talk about some numbers that don't make sense to the info being released

source

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Some excerpts from Dr Saji's daily emails, unfortunately Amber does not have the emails from 4/17 through 4/20 on her site. His emails are an excellent daily synopsis of the events surrounding Fukushima Dai-ichi from an nuclear safety experts point of view.
I don't know why he's not heading up an independent investigation team on this crisis for the Japanese govt., as the former Secretariat of Japan's Nuclear Safety Commission, former head of the IAEAs Safety Division and has lectured and been extensively published in the field of nuclear safety, I think he's got the cred. (IMHO, he's made some enemies that are in powerful positions.)

www.ambersharick.com...

Dated 4/21

A few days ago, Mr. Takashi Sawada, Vice Chairman of Atomic Energy Society (AESJ) of Japan, at a TV interview, explained a picture showing that the pellets are broken into pieces, falling at the bottom of the reactor vessel. However, this picture seems to have deleted quickly, since I could not find it in the AESJ website.Text

The censorship is starting to interfere with Dr. Sajis work. It reminds us to capture and save this information as we see it come up.

Importance of dissemination of detailed radiation exposure data When watching TV of the evacuated residents, I noticed that information related to detailed dose rates as well as effects to the human bodies are the most waited for by the affected people. Without showing these data, it is very hard to obtain agreement of the people. Such data are readily available in the dose rate map measured by the US Nuclear Security Administration ( energy.gov... ). However, I am sad to see that the Japanese Government does not seem to be making full use of this important information. One reason is that the difference in units. The US data are expressed in the first year doses in mrem. However, what is the most needed data for decision making is the accumulated dose for one year, in particular those contours within 20 mSv and 100 mSv, as per ICRP guideline. It should be easy to convert the units into these scales, just by asking to the the US Nuclear Security Administration. The Japanese side should display this information as an overlay to the detailed local map. It is sad to see poor communication between Japanese side and the US side.

More "ignore the man behind the curtain"..

Dated 4/22

From now on, gamma doses may not decrease much, since gamma from I-131is down to approximately 1/30 from time zero, almost comparable to a gamma activity from Cs-137. However, my concern is Sr-89 beta, with its longer half life of 50.5 day. The initial activity of Sr-89 is almost the same as I-131. It is fearful for me to see that radiological consequences of strontium is seldom explained, nor monitoring data released. I do not know why this kind of gross negligence is being made in Japan now.

Speaks for itself about the veracity/ineptness of the Japanese Govt

Dated 4/23

TThe MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology), measured the near field dose rates in the region of 1 to 21 km from the Fukushima Daiichi, at 128 spots. Unfortunately, the measurements were performed by cars, using pocket dosimeters, only along the main road. By comparing with the results by the US Nuclear Security Administration ( energy.gov... ), I could not identify the clear plume passage direction, since the MEXT’s results are only along the main roads. However, the US dose map data, as updatd on April 22, followed the dose rate changes at four different times, during March 16-19, March 26/28, April 4-7 and April 6-17. The map strongly indicates that the major passage route of the plume was towards the N-W direction, towards Iidate-mura, although there occurred four hydrogen explosions. This largest release event is likely from the 1F3. I claim that this highly contaminated region in Iidate-mura, is through a black rain, a heavy shower of rain occurred at the time of Hirosima-Nagasaki atomic bombing, as well in the Chernobyl accident. The black rain tends to form a corridor of highly contaminated regions down along the plume passage. The latter induced the famous red forest, not by high radiation fields, but from a thermally hot water rain higher than 60 degree-C at the time of the Chernobyl accident.ext

Albeit that area is a lot hotter than the Govt is revealing, Ya think?

Dr. Ko-ichi Nakamura, my friends and a capable marine geologist, made a quick research on the subsidence of the Fukushima Daiichi, in connection with our discussions on the potential consequences of an increase in the underground water level. He reviewed changes in the tide levels in the nearby marine observatories. They are showing discontinuous changes before and after the earthquake, ranging from -0.26 to -0.50 m. This lead him to conclude that the subsidence induced at the Fukushima Daiichi site can be estimated to be somewhere around -0.41 meters. This resulted in upsetting the precise civil, architectural, and system engineering bases related with the sea level. In addition, due to the subsidence, there is a possibility that the sea water can back flow from the aggregate layers placed under the electrical cable trench of 1F2, through the sub-drain pits which were provided to discharge under ground water back to the sea. At the recent high tide occurred on March 23, the tide level could have been as high as O.P. +2.459 m. This issue is very important, I believe, if the tide wave is also flowing into the contaminated water, we may have to deal with infinite volume of water. Unfortunately, it is not clear where is a break point that brought the sea water into the basement of the turbine halls in 1F1-3, without having detailed composite drawings (drawings showing piping, ventilation ducts, cable trays, as well as cable conduits all together) and P&ID. These drawings are only available in contractors.

More lack of information on the exact situation is going to make it very hard to assess what TEPCO is going to try an accomplish.

Dated 4/24

II. Updating of the accidental releases from the damaged plants It is reported in media that the Nuclear Safety Commission updated the results, obtained by a reverse engineering of SPEEDI calculations, on April 23. I do not know which document the media is referring to. The most recent one on this issue is dated April 12. According to this document, their estimation of the total releases, from the beginning of the accident to Until April 5, are: I-131: 1.5E+17Bq (150 PBq) Cs-137: 1.2E+16Bq (12 PBq) Their previous estimation was 370-630 PBq, obtained simply by adding activities of I-131 and Cs-137. After correctly computing an equivalent activity, the new results are said to amount to 6.4 TBq. I do not understand their complex logics as explained in media reports. The INES defines only for the iodine release, I believe. Even if I used their I-131 release value of 150 PBq, it corresponds to just 11% of the initial core inventory for 1F1, 6.6% for 1F2-3. Since the largest release event was likely from 1F3, it is more likely 6.6%. In addition, as I have been continue saying, the dispersion codes, such as SPEEDI, does not incorporate the black rain effects. Without this, a very high release should be assumed to be able to reproduce the high dose corridor regions as occurred in Iidate-mura, also clearly shown in the dose map released by the US Nuclear Security Administration . More scientifically reliable method should be obtained by summing up of soil contamination density maps as done by the Ukraine scientists: V.A. Kashparov, S.M. Lundin, S.I. Zvarych, V.I. Yoshchenko, .E. Levchuk, Y.V. Khomutinin, I.M. Maloshtan and V.P. Protsak, 2003. Territory contamination with radionuclides representing the fuel component of Chernobyl fallout. (Ukrainian Institute of Agricultural Radiology (UIAR), Mashinobudivnskiv str., Kyiv Svjatoshin Distr., Kyiv Reg. 08162, Ukraine), In: The Science of the total Environment 317 (2003) 105-119, available on line at Science Direct

More obfuscation, or is it ineptness?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Tepco arrives.

edit on 25-4-2011 by SamSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
Here is a interesting tidbit of some radiation numbers finding a way to be released...

reactor 4 suppresion chamber
over 4000 sieverts per hour

that;s not micro...nor milli...but SIEVERTS per hour

talk about some numbers that don't make sense to the info being released

source

Yup...the fugly truth...

Date: Mar 15, 2011 (Tuesday) to April 25, 2011 (Mon)
Current values: D / W: __ Sv / h , S / C: 4250 Sv / h
Date D / W S / C
4 / 25 _ 4250
4 / 24 _ 4250
4 / 23 _ 4250
4 / 22 _ 4200
4 / 21 _ 4200
4 / 20 _ 4300
4 / 19 _ 4350
4 / 18 _ 4450
4 / 17 _ 4250
4 / 16 _ 4400
4 / 15 _ 4900
4 / 14 _ 4850
4 / 13 _ 4850
4 / 12 _ 4750
4 / 11 _ 4900
4 / 10 _ 5000
4 / 09 _ 4900
4 / 08 _ 4950
4 / 07 _ 4950
4 / 06 _ 4900
4 / 05 _ 4900
4 / 04 _ 5000
4 / 03 _ _

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
From Dr. Saji's e-mails:

I finally got a chance to look at them. Here's some highlights. Maybe I missed something, but he talks about hydrogen explosion at 1F1??

And from Day 43 entry - four hydrogen explosions?

although there occurred four hydrogen explosions. This largest release event is likely from the 1F3. I claim that this highly contaminated region in Iidate-mura, is through a black rain, a heavy shower of rain occurred at the time of Hirosima-Nagasaki atomic bombing, as well in the Chernobyl accident.

ambersharick

There were two explosions at reactor three, the first, captured on video, shows a visible shock wave through the atmosphere with little debris and white/gray smoke, most likely from hydrogen accumulated in the top of the building. The second is that big vertical blast of debris and and dark smoke, from the secondary containment vessel. There is speculation/evidence that the RPV may have been involved too.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

the funny thing about that link des is you have to kinda cheat to get that info...if you go to the main web page...it only lists reactors 1-3 and 5-6...you have to change the url and add the 4...for some reason that info wasn't really meant to be seen...wonder why???

now want to try to explain those readings from a reactor that was shut down since nov 2010 and a slightly damaged spent fuel pool?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
When they said weeks ago that the ground water was 15 million times normal
then retracted it, and now again the suppression chamber reading at 5000 seiverts, we should expect
a recalculation Tuesday, much lower, then in 2 weeks we will find out it was true

its a formula
edit on 25-4-2011 by commercialoligarchy because: whatever

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Your link is a nugget of info on the reactors. It also gives pressure readings.link I.
edit on 25-4-2011 by SamSeed because: (blue pill please)

edit on 25-4-2011 by SamSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

the funny thing about that link des is you have to kinda cheat to get that info...if you go to the main web page...it only lists reactors 1-3 and 5-6...you have to change the url and add the 4...for some reason that info wasn't really meant to be seen...wonder why???

now want to try to explain those readings from a reactor that was shut down since nov 2010 and a slightly damaged spent fuel pool?

OC, that is the mystery link we found a couple of weeks ago. It is not supposed to be accessed by the likes of us.

Tworide checked it out, it is on a secured server, but not password protected. Go figure. Its a secure data spreadsheet system that ENEPTCO uses to input their data. It is not the spreadsheet us common folk are meant to see.

I u2u'd Zorgon back then, to save those files for us. I think we should check those daily data updates to track the rise and fall of activity on each reactor. Thank You so much for bringing this up again.

ETA: Would be interesting to also track the tide action, high low, and compare it to rates of radiation data for those same time periods....If what we all think is true, high tides should correspond with much higher readings.

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

OC, that is the mystery link we found a couple of weeks ago. It is not supposed to be accessed by the likes of us

well dang...no brownie for me...I was priding myself in not repeating anything already found...lol... but with 780+ pages...I guess it was bound to happen

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Tworide

Thanks for the reply. I knew about one at R3 - didn't realize there were two.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
2011/04/26 10:17 KST
Radiation scare causes consumers to buy fish from Taiwan, Norway

english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2011/04/26/47/0501000000AEN20110426001900320F.HTML

SEOUL, April 26 (Yonhap) -- South Koreans are consuming more fish from Taiwan and Norway as radiation concerns have forced stores to clear Japanese products from their shelves, industry sources said Tuesday.

(...)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

OC, that is the mystery link we found a couple of weeks ago. It is not supposed to be accessed by the likes of us

well dang...no brownie for me...I was priding myself in not repeating anything already found...lol... but with 780+ pages...I guess it was bound to happen

Oh Sweet Pea...a whole plate of Godiva, fudge covered chocolate pecan brownies for you...it got lost awhile back when pages were zooming along...so glad you brought it to the front again. It needed doing. With the dirth of new data in the news, it's one of the few viable sources we have to work with. Ya done Good Bro...

Des

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
My translator didn't work for unit 4...

I don't read Konjii ideograms very well lol.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Screenshot to forestall the "no pics, it didn't happen."

and the main page, showing that Reactor 4 is indeed not on display.

edit on 2011/4/25 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

edit on 2011/4/25 by Aeons because: sorry for the low rez.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Greetings:

And the beat goes on ...

It continually amazes us that ATS is read (seemingly everywhere) by such a diverse, wide audience, who tend to lurk, never post, so their presence is not a foregone conclusion.

Funny, we never even thought of "an audience" - once one is in media, one never considers that there might be NO ONE listening, reading, thinking ... oops ... another thread. Back to topic.

An old-time (we're as old as dirt) RW friend contacted us (encrypted back-channel, of course) and gave us three tidbits of information:

1) ATS is being monitored CLOSELY by, and has been infiltrated long ago (like that's new news), by ... "the alphabet boys."

So much for being political correct - weren't the boyz' ranks infiltrated by the fems long ago? At least, that's the impression we got from ATS Comix and we most certainly do not imply in no way that Mr. Mask is CIA - or anything else for that matter (no matter what the rumors at Rainbow). Never really felt comfortable in Van Nuys anyway, too Vallllleeeeeyyyy for our taste...

2) Some of my friend's RW associates have been in contact with the Japanese government with this product and said we should run it by Zorgon "and the crew" on ATS. We'll post it on the "America's Being Nuked ..." site as well to add to the reference base.

They mentioned by name many of the heavy-hitters on this thread and how impressed they were with the quality and level of discourse - we heard "top-notch think-tank" tossed about, along with ...."what Rand should be" , but they used Zorgon because of his aside at us (and they liked his avatar). (Some of these very same people were at "No Diablo Over Me" with us back in the day. Funny how life is).

BTW, they followed us here from our thread America's Being Nuked - Can We Together Stop the Madness Before It's Too Late?

At least somebody is interested in solid information not available MSM. Not a whole lot of active participation as yet, however, we will not give up the ship as this information needs more exposure - pun intended.

3) "Inform Zorgon that we are part of the "we" thorfourwinds speaks of and let it go." Guess it is better to let some things go rather than find out one needs an environmental impact report in order to comply with provisions regarding the release of poolium onto a public roadway in Las Vegas. BTW, can that ferret swim?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.

Here is what they speak of. Interesting, but a bit above my pay grade.

Enjoy.

Postretrieval and Preclosure High-Level Radioactive Liquid Waste
Tank Lay-up Using New Mex U-Mate
TM.

Eric P. Loewen Ph.D.
Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory
Dennis Yellowhorse Jones, U-Mate International Inc.

Abstract:

The final long-term management challenge in the Department of Energy (DOE) is the safe and economic closure of underground tanks across the complex that were previously used to hold high level waste (HLW). The WVDP cannot immediately proceed with tank closure until NEPA determinations are made, therefore a tank lay-up strategy for 5 to 15 years is needed. The goal
of the lay-up is to place the tanks in a safe, stable, minimum-maintenance mode that does not compromise final closure options.

A small team at the INEEL and U-Mate International Inc proposed a technical solution to support TFA’s two basic needs (tank lay-up and grout formulation) using New Mex U-Mate. For tank lay-up, the team proposed several feet of a stabilizing material called New Mex U-Mate™ (NMUM) as furnished by U-Mate International, Inc. NMUM is a complex inorganic/organic material that offers excellent pH buffer control and heavy metal capture.

This type of humate has a low salt content and a similar redox potential as the earth to which the tanks are exposed below ground. We expect with NMUM addition inside and outside (liquid suspension injected around the tank), tank corrosion will be reduced in lay-up. Using NMUM in a grout matrix is expected improve properties such as flowability and radionuclide retention.

To validate the claims we made in regard to tank lay-up, we are working on a fast-paced research program that investigates the basic properties of NMUM mixed with HLW tank heels. The specific objectives of our current research are: 1) Mix various amounts of NMUM with surrogate tank waste while performance measures such as TCLP (toxicity characteristic leaching procedure), Kd, pH, and ion uptake are quantified. 2) Measure the instantaneous corrosion rate of a simulated steel tank before and after adding the NMUM in and around the tank. 3) Use NMUM as a co-feed to current grout formulations to ascertain whether improved properties are realized, such as flowability during grout placement and radionuclide retention. This research will demonstrate an innovative application of NMUM to technology needs associated with RCRA closure of DOE HLW tanks.

The DOE Tank Focused Area (TFA) has recently put a call for proposal to look at small-scale demonstration of alternative high-level waste (HLW) tank lay-up options. The ORNL tanks are 750,000-gallon carbon steel tanks and, at the point from which lay-up will proceed, will contain a small amount of insoluble solids residue and an estimated 5,000- gallon liquid heel.

The WVDP cannot immediately proceed with tank closure until NEPA determinations are made, therefore a tank lay-up strategy for 5 to15 years is needed. The goal of the lay-up is to place the tanks in a safe, stable, minimum-maintenance mode that does not compromise final closure options.

With respect to final tank closure, the TFA is focusing on the use of technetium, a grout formulation such as to reduce the mobility of key radionuclides. The specific grout formulation selected for a tank closure is based on the site-specific performance requirements across the DOE complex. To support future tank and site-specific selections of grout formulations for tank closures over the next several decades, the TFA desires to develop and document an improved science and performance understanding of tank closure grouts.
(...)
more

We found this to rather to the point at hand.

As the DOE considers in-situ tank lay-up and final closure, the focus should be to ensure that the material used to lay-up and close the tank is in harmony with the environment in which it will reside for eternity. To that end, using NMUM would allow the use of humic and fulvic substances, the most widely distributed natural products on the surface of the earth. Humic substances are found in soils, sediments, and subsurface mining strata and within water resources. These substances have the greatest single influence on all physical, chemical, and biologic conditions on earth.

Would this process be anything similar to what has been discussed here a few hundred pages ago regarding graphite cladding of containers to remove small bits of RPV excrement? As this process is being applied to 750,000-gallon (2.8 million liter) carbon steel tanks in conjunction with the DOE at some of the most polluted sites in the U.S., would it be a part of the solution in Japan? An organic solution?

What could be more appropriate than having the Earth heal itself?

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Most reactors in Japan yet to have enough backups for stable cooling

Tuesday 26th April, 06:25 AM JST

www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/most-reactors-in-japan-yet-to-have-enough-backups-for-stable-cooling

TOKYO —

Most nuclear reactors in Japan would fail to achieve a stable condition in the event that all regular power sources are lost, even though plant operators have prepared new backup power sources as well as electric generators following the crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, Kyodo News found Monday.

The possibility of a failure to secure the safety of the reactors is because the backup power sources do not have enough capacity to operate all of the devices needed to keep the reactors cool.

Many reactors still effectively have no alternative power source should emergency diesel generators fail to work, as was the case at the Fukushima plant after it was hit by a magnitude-9.0 earthquake and tsunami on March 11.

The government’s nuclear regulatory body has instructed plant operators to prepare for a possible loss of power, such as by securing vehicle-mounted power sources, to prevent a recurrence of the disaster like that at the Fukushima plant on the Pacific coast. At Fukushima, the power grid and most of the emergency diesel generators were knocked out by the quake and tsunami, resulting in the loss of the reactors’ key cooling functions.

(...)

© 2011 Kyodo News. All rights reserved. No reproduction or republication without written permission.

new topics

top topics

<< 783  784  785    787  788  789 >>

join