It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 771.htm
<< 768  769  770    772  773  774 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Say I have encountered a strange phenomenon and I was wondering if any of you more versed on the effects of radioactive contamination could comment on this.

Over the past couple weeks every time I cook pasta, the noodles over cook and become mushy even when I pull them off the stove 1 min earlier then i normally would. And normally i cook my pasta Al-Dente... So normally I slightly undercook my pasta but recently having it in the water for the same amount of time produces extremely overcooked pasta and I tried to cook it for a min less and it is still over cooked.

I was wondering if this could be a possible symptom of radioactive particules contaminating the water and causing the pasta to cook faster or lose its structural integrity faster in some way. I've cooked A LOT of pasta in my life and I have never had this problem.

Any thoughts?

I live in Minneapolis, MN and I have not been overly concerned about contamination at this point although I highly suspect that there is SOME contamination... in fact they report contaminated Rain falling here a few weeks ago. Interestingly enough there has been ZERO follow up reporting on that issue.. media here just pretending that there is no continuing threat.

Soul

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

EU raises acceptable level of radiation in order to accept Japanese shipments.

Radiation was such a bother anyway. No reason to let it stand in the way of commerce. [/end sarcasm]

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Seeing your video post makes me wonder how many times the people in Europe will allow someone seen as an authority figure continue to raise levels above levels that were previously known previously not to be carcingogenic...

Perhaps I should have said "not perceived to be carcinogenic" because the TPTB told us it was safe.

All radiation from the smallest amounts are cumulative-the effects never subside, and only increase.

This could become our new planetary diet change world-wide, if we allow it.
edit on 23-4-2011 by Communicater because: addition

link   
reply to post by Wertwog

If Japan gets their way, soon, everyone will just adopt their "safety standards of the day" approach to exposure to radiation. I'm sure Japan would love that. One nicely tied up little trickle of information, to set the world standard of safe levels across the board.

Not on my watch Bubba

Des

link   
yer overcooking problem is likely due to ingredient deletion/substitution/costcutting @ the pasta factory, kinda like how most ice cream nowadaze isn't, want consistency? durum semolina and make yer own.
Oh and awful nice to raise acceptable rad standards, you know I noticed long ago that the "economy" must be powdered and diapered and is more important than anyone's life, kinda like a soulless steamroller that dictates to us, not the other way around.
edit on 23-4-2011 by ALTERNATECH because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I did do my catch up research but failed to find people addressing some of the critical issues :

1) Tepco seems to believe that they were only polluting the ocean SINCE THEY OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED THE LEAK , instead of the month of time before that they were ?mystified? by higher then average radiation number in the water

2) the handy cam thing on the robots...weak.. I mean seriously are you kidding me... tepco;s nuclear experts can't figure out how to catch and relay the data stream ... perhaps they thought generational data would hide the EXACT gamma count , oh and the fact that it is coming from drips and pools of water that are clearly indications of waste pools leaking

3) temperature stats and radiation levels paint a picture that is somewhat different than the profit painting ( three reactors in melt since the 15 (at least ) and no pool integrity for 6 , yes 6 pools .

4) a corp controlled gov willing to use the police to stop the truth from being uncovered

5) and after careful evaluation of the data absolute proof of KNOWN melt down and containment loss for over four weeks ( not to mention pool over heat and release )

Whether or not this 'site' denies ignorance people on this thread do . Thank all of you... ten fingers still breathing ... still on the job ...working

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

Hmmmmm

But what about all the animals? Who's gonna feed all the cattle

Oh wait... never mind they just starved to death

Cattle in the restricted zone

Tens of thousands of farm animals have been abandoned in the evacuation zone surrounding the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant. Many of them reportedly have already died.

Fukushima Prefecture authorities say there were about three-hundred livestock farms with three-thousand cows, 30-thousand pigs, and 600-thousand chickens.

A veterinarian who inspected barns and chicken coops on Friday last week, before the area was designated off limits, says almost all the chickens had died.

He says about 70 percent of the pigs at barns with automatic feeders were alive. But most pigs in other barns were dead.

Most of the beef cattle had been let out to graze, and were still alive. But about 60 percent of the dairy cows in barns had died.

Farmers are asking government to allow them to take the animals out of the area, or permit them to take care of their livestock.

Some farmers are requesting that they be allowed to euthanize the remaining animals.

The agriculture ministry says, however, it will be difficult to allow people to enter the restricted area to euthanize or feed the animals.

Saturday, April 23, 2011 04:39 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

I guess TEPCO just went into the cattle business... all those herds they just bought

Summer is coming so you will have hundreds of thousands of dead and rotting highly contaminated carcass smelling up the place...

edit on 23-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Can you say, Stephen King nightmare, directed by M. Night Shyamalan. It is too hideous to even ponder on.

Des

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Dilution is a myth. Radiation bio-accumulates.

"The nuclear industry is not diluting the radiation, it is diluting the data..."

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
was just looking at these charts here, www.ic.unicamp.br...seems reac 2's torus has rads of over 200 sieverts as we speak, and another thing, if you see any video with a counts per minute geiger at chernoble and then another at fukushima, I mean wow, big difference, and not in a good way, soooooo neways, video I saw showed in & around 10,000 cpm 4.5 kliks from zee plant. My converter won't convert cpm's to anything. sadface on toooooo many levels. Be nice to know what that 10,000 means, because with all the business goin' on and on I finger that'll make your hair fall out.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ALTERNATECH

This chart is public domain, if that helps... xkcd.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Got Milk? Japan Gives OK For Dairy Farmers In Fukushima To Start Shipping Milk, Radiation Tests OK

Well, I guess the cows that died were from another parallel dimension in which there was a nuclear emergency, but in this dimension it was fixed. [/end sarcasm]

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
Got Milk? Japan Gives OK For Dairy Farmers In Fukushima To Start Shipping Milk, Radiation Tests OK

Ummm how do you get milk from Dead Cows?

Well lets hope we don't see this on that TEPCO wec cam soon...

edit on 23-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Makes you wonder don't it? Maybe they died after being milked? [/end sarcasm]

Bomb shot. Humm, as morbid as it sounds at least that would prove we have a serious problem they couldn't deny. Right now it's a "no boom, do doom" scenario.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Silenced by gaman

The world has admired Japan’s stoic spirit. But there is a worrying side to it

Apr 20th 2011 | TOKYO | from the print edition

www.economist.com/node/18587325

IN A nation of stoics, the most patient sufferers—by common consent—are those from Tohoku, the poor north-eastern area struck by earthquake and tsunami on March 11th. The best-known poem by the region’s most beloved poet, Kenji Miyazawa (born in 1896), starts “Be not defeated by the rain”. It extols the virtues of enduring harsh conditions with good grace. Rarely can Miyazawa’s fellow northerners have faced such a test of true grit. Yet the worry is that the longer they suffer in silence, the less they will act as a spur for revival in Japan.

In the past week three developments have cast doubt on the usefulness of Japan’s prevailing attitude of gaman, or endurance. First, on April 17th Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) laid out a nebulous six-to-nine-month plan to bring its damaged Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear-power plant to a state of cold shutdown, in which it stops leaking radioactive matter. That is a long time for northern Japan to remain in radiation limbo. Yet there is no grand plan for dealing with the tens of thousands of evacuees—many in their 70s and 80s—from towns near Fukushima who are living in temporary shelters. They have been told by the central government that they may be able to return home once the nuclear situation stabilises, though many are understandably dubious about that possibility.

(...)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Maps on radiation levels around crippled nuke plant to be compiled
(Mainichi Japan) April 23, 2011

mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/national/news/20110423p2g00m0dm003000c.html

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- The science ministry said Friday it will compile maps showing the extent of air and soil contamination as part of government efforts to enhance the monitoring of radiation levels and reevaluate evacuation zones around the crippled nuclear plant.

Three kinds of maps will be released to show on-the-spot radiation levels, estimated levels of accumulated radiation over one year and the levels of radioactive concentration in surface soil, the Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Ministry said.

Monitoring spots will be added and more equipment installed to measure radiation levels and the concentration of such radioactive materials as iodine-131, cesium-134 and cesium-137, according to the ministry. Monitoring frequency will also be increased.

(...)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost

Originally posted by scotland48
reply to post by MedievalGhost

I just cannot take in what I read in your post. It is just too horrible! My God, how can these people get away with risking the lives of innocent children in this way. Radioactive sand, in a playground?!! They should be tried and convicted, every last greedy one of them!

I agree. But it appears that many of the smarter families have in fact already left voluntarily. What could be going through those parents' heads that decided to stay in those radioactive Fukushima areas is beyond me...

What a dismissive, judgemental attitude ...

Some people, because of health and/or financial problems, are not able to just up and move. With all the displaced people in Japan at the moment, how much cheap residency is going to be available?

With the government playing down the radiation problems, and making it seem it will all be safe again in six months, and public figures making a show of eating food from the area, of course some people will think the radiation scare is overblown. It could seem quite logical to think, "it's not so bad here, I can endure this for the six months it will take for the radiation to go away, and besides, my house/garden/farm/animals/grandparent need me here to look after them".

Do we know that people within that area still have electricity, newspaper delivery, internet access?
No, for all we know they could be badly cut off from any information. And if some information does get through, it's most likely from sources such as TEPCO and Japan Inc., who are out to mislead, obfuscate and deceive.

If people are actually of low intelligence, is that any reason to leave them and their children exposed to danger?
I have an adult son with an IQ of 60. His sheltered workshop had him using pesticides without taking safety precautions, and claimed it was not their fault he wasn't "smart" enough to read the warning label.
I guess it doesn't matter that this has caused him permanent damage, because he is not one of the "smart" people.

There will always be a range of intelligence levels. People don't deserve to be left in damaging situations just because they cant read the warning labels, especially in a case like Fukushima where the authorities are working to obscure those warnings.

Their children don't deserve to be left in a poisonous environment either.

I thought the Russians were uncaring, lying bastards, but at least they got the people out of there after three days.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Kailassa, I understand your frustration that folks are stuck in the area. It is very much like the poorer families in New Orleans during Katrina who had no means to evacuate or to support themselves once they did - only there will be no end to this flood of radiation. I just wanted to point out that Medieval Ghost IS in Japan. He/She is on the ground and is watching the movements of the sheep who have been lulled by the lullaby of TEPCO into thinking there will be something to come back to and it is safe to be where they are allowed to stay.

I took the term smarter to mean sheep that are more awake or have access to outside (inside) information others may not have. I have appreciated the information about what is going on in-country from Medieval Ghost. Just wanted to share another perspective - not speak for Medieval - on what I think was intended by the original post. For those who have woken up - it is hard to believe people are still willing to be asleep.

Even in other countries we are hearing the echoes of the Japan lullaby calling people to slumber. Countries are actively raising their own radiation thresholds in order to accommodate the illusion that one need not think - just trust your governments who will sound no alarm - the snooze button has been activated.

I appreciate all you have brought to this thread and continue to bring - just think there may have been misinterpretation of the earlier post on this one between two valued contributors. Keep going team - keep digging.

What has appalled me, is how the Japanese government stepped in supposedly because TEPCO was not handling the situation or sharing information with "the people of the world" and their first act has been to criminalize the sharing of information. They have become the beast - as sneaky and hidden as the radiation traveling through the air and water.

Thanks for all you and others continue to bring to this thread.

And on another note:

SILVERLOK - WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Six pools in trouble ?????????????????????

edit on 23-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: Coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Dated Russian article from news agency Interfax.

Interviews

April 14, 2011
Fukushima: confusion or secret work to create bomb?

Alexander Kovalenko, who served as deputy director of the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant and head of the department of information and international relations of the government commission for the liquidation of the Chernobyl Nuclear Plant disaster following the 1986 accident at the plant, said in an interview with Interfax‘ Vyacheslav Terekhov what the large amounts of radioactive waste located at the Fukushima-1 nuclear plant may mean and whether the rumors that there could have been a secret military laboratory in the station could be grounded.

www.interfax.com/interview.asp?id=236582

(...)

A.: According to Rosatom, there are over 11,000 tonnes of radioactive waste at Fukushima. This means that nuclear waste has not been processed since the beginning of the station‘s operation, which would have saved 50 billion euro, although such processing is an absolute must under international regulations. In addition, we can assume that some of this waste is used to obtain materials for the production of nuclear weapons.

From the editor: The latter contention is supported by an article by Yoichi Shimatsu, former editor of the Japan Times Weekly, published in the U.S. media, stating that "confused and often conflicting reports out of Fukushima-1 nuclear plant cannot solely be the result of tsunami-caused breakdowns, bungling or miscommunication."

(...)

Epilogue

Ten years ago, Yuliy Andreyev, who took part in the Chernobyl events from the very start and later worked as a top official for Spetsatom (nuclear emergency service) for many years, said in his article entitled "Chernobyl and Corporations": "The status of IAEA has to be changed. This international organization consists solely of people associated with the nuclear industry, commercial and military. The IAEA is the unofficial headquarters of this elite. One and the same organization cannot promote the launch of new power plants and try to prevent the proliferation of nuclear weapons at the same time because it is virtually impossible to separate the military nuclear industry from the peaceful nuclear industry. It‘s utter schizophrenia."

---

Is Japan's Elite Hiding a Weapons Program Inside Nuclear Plants?
New America Media, News Analysis, Yoichi Shimatsu, Posted: Apr 06, 2011

newamericamedia.org/2011/04/is-japans-elite-hiding-a-weapons-program-inside-nuclear-plants.php

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Fukushima waste storage pool critical

The water in the spent fuel storage pond of Unit Four of the Fukushima nuclear power station is close to boiling point and is quickly evaporating.

Engineers have to flush 170 cubic metres through the pond each day, creating a radioactive outflow into the sea. The operators say they need three more months for getting on top of the trouble.

The pond stores 13 hundred spent fuel rods.

This problem again...

new topics

top topics

<< 768  769  770    772  773  774 >>

join