It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 718.htm
<< 715  716  717    719  720  721 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Has this been posted yet? Sorry if so; there is no way I have the time to keep up with all of this thread.

Meltdown confirmed?

Nuclear fuel inside the crippled reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant has partially melted and settled at the bottom of pressure vessels in the shape of grains, according to an analysis by the Atomic Energy Society of Japan made public by Friday.

The academic body's panel on nuclear energy safety has said the melted fuel at the No. 1 to 3 reactors has been kept at a relatively low temperature, discounting the possibility that a large amount of melted fuel has already built up at the bottom of their reactor vessels given the temperature readings there.

More at source:
english.kyodonews.jp...
edit on 4/15/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

I am still behind the scary door time wise so if this is already been addressed...

Where did the 'academic body' get it's data from ? Either tepco directly or thru the ministry of defense (perhaps the thermal images that started showing up at their site ) since the thermal images only go back to the 23 of march (ten days after most of the activety, and a week after 4 popped), there is no way for this to be an accurate assessment .

Plus where has all that constant pesky radioactive iodine , cesuim , plutonium, stronium..etc, etc...been coming from for all these weeks? unless one doesn't need fission to get fission by-products. Plus we have multiple 'neutron beam' reports, but again perhaps there is a way to get fast neutrons without all that pesky fusion , and of course the biggest fallacy: these would be pellets of fuel rods WITHOUT any cladding, or naked uranium and plutonium pellets piling up in water(p.s most of them start life as a bunch of little pellets inside the zircaloy tubes, of course cladding loss from expansion is probably also happening))

Zircaloy starts oxidizing in steam at 1,500 K (2,240 °F)
uranium melt temperature is 1405.15 K, (2069.6 °F)
plutonium melts at 639.5 °C , 912.65 K, (1183.1 °F)
when Zirc 'burns' ( oxidizes ) it produces hydrogen, for it to burn it must be above 1500K if it is above the uranium in the rods is 105K above it's melt temperature and plutonium is 587K above it's melt temp, ergo it would tended to flow down inside the rod until the heat reached the water line wherein the most likely thing would be the rod breaking ,explosively, at that point, given the high temperatures a lot of the fissible material invovled in those mini-pops would be aerosolized and get taken into the torus and deposited there (perhaps 10% of the hot material) in a chamber , out side of either main containments, where the steam was condensing back to water

Water makes the fission go (it can happen without it but water makes it really go )

The"grains" would be randomly oriented thus more than likely have a very large cross section of their total surface area exposed to bombardment ( for stuff in the center of such a pile 100% of the surface area would be exposed) the more surface area exposed the more chance of getting hit by neutrons

Therefore a pile of 'grains' would again hit criticality as soon as sufficient mass was reached

also

TMI was only exposed to air for about 2-1/2 hours, about 1/3 of the core melted in that time

reactor 1 no cooling for 27 hours (ever leave a spaghetti pot on the stove and fall asleep?)
reactor 2 and 3 not cooling for 7 hours
and later after another quake, everybody goes without power for another 50 minutes

Conclusion that 'academic body' is missing a head ( or two or three) or at the very best a brain
edit on 15-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Want some fear mongering?

I watch Iris fairly regularly... its a great quick visual of the world's quakes, but today it lit up like a Christmas tree

www.iris.edu...

edit on 15-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike

You know, I figured a "Mickey Mouse" company like TEPCO deserved a small revision of its logo, so I made one...

Is it childish? Probably. Dumb? Yeah, probably that too...

Does it reflect how I feel about TEPCO's management?

Yes. Definitely. No question:

I think Mickey could do a better job than they've been doing. At least on the side of honesty and integrity.

And with that, I have to get out of here and get some shut-eye...

Mike

Childish, dumb?..... no, definitely not, your understanding of TEPCO management is so accurate, it's scary!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
What to do with the spent / dead fuel and corium?

cross or cross contaminate the waste disposal area with the bacteria being talked about here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and the bacteria/fungi here

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I just watched the recent National Geographic report on the Japanese earthquake/tsunami called Witness : Disaster in Japan

And I literally cried at the end. This is just too much. I invite everyone to watch it.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Village Idiot

And mickey has three fingers which makes him a gangster in Japan.

Another thing is that #3 probably popped it's cork BECAUSE OF THE LOW MELTING temperature of plutonium and it's concentration in the MOX fuel, so the mox boys saying it had nothing to do with it have some serious explaining to do, as this is a potential threat to ALL mox everywhere in the event of an emergency.

If they start nitrogen injecting other 'reactors' then it is pretty much an admission of out of controlled fission heat as water is only the SECOND best coolant in the world .... the best coolant in the world ? ammonia...whadya know.
"Water has the second highest molar specific heat capacity of any known substance, after ammonia"

and if you had 1000C mass of poolium corium under it's crusty shell and several feet of basement water then sure the thermals are going to have "apparently" lower numbers, some people call the two best heat dispersing agents on the planet swirling around something INSULATION

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I need to go find my really old felt MM beenie...thanks for the laughs, I needed that Mike

Back on topic...

Washington, D.C.--(ENEWSPF)--April 15, 2011 - UPDATE AS OF 11 A.M. EDT.
Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) is continuing to manage the transfer of large amounts of contaminated water from basements and tunnels at Fukushima Daiichi as it works to restore the plant's cooling systems. On Friday TEPCO said the level of radioactive water was increasing in a tunnel at reactor 2 after an earlier drop. The company had on Wednesday finished transferring some 660 tons of water from the tunnel to a condenser in a turbine building, resulting in a drop of the water level in the tunnel by 8 centimeters. However, by Friday morning the level in the tunnel had returned to its previous level. TEPCO says there are at least 50,000 tons of contaminated water at the plant. It plans to use a waste-processing facility, makeshift storage tanks and a floating tank to store the radioactive water.

TEPCO also reports that radiation levels of Iodine-131 and Cesium-134 in water in so-called sub-drain pits have risen by up to 38 times during the past week.

The company is working to finish moving emergency diesel power generators and water injection pumps to higher ground and to bring in additional backup power trucks and fire engines as a precautionary measure. Work is also in progress to cross-connect external grid power lines to all four reactors.

The U.S. State Department has lifted its voluntary evacuation advisory for families of U.S. government employees in Tokyo and other Japanese cities, saying that while the situation remains serious, it is “dramatically different” now than it was on March 16, and health and safety risks are low for areas outside an 80-kilometer (50-mile) zone around the plant, which includes Tokyo. However, it has maintained its recommendation for U.S. citizens to avoid travel within the 50-mile zone.

TEPCO also reported on Friday it had conducted a 2-hour long unmanned helicopter flight over reactors 1 through 4 “to check the condition of the reactor buildings.” The helicopter is to fly again today. Video footage has not yet been released.

Source: nei.org www.enewspf.com...
< br />

Fukushima Residents Seek Answers Amid Mixed Signals From Media, TEPCO and Government. Report from the Radiation Exclusion Zone

Makiko SEGAWA in Fukushima

Mistrust of the media has surged among the people of Fukushima Prefecture. In part this is due to reports filed by mainstream journalists who are unwilling to visit the area near the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. But above all it is the result of contradictory reportsreleased by the media, TEPCO and the government. japanfocus.org...

Anti-nuclear protests in Tokyo —and around the planet
Submitted by Bill Weinberg on Fri, 04/15/2011 - 16:52.

More than a hundred protesters gathered outside the headquarters of Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) on April 15, with banners reading "No Nukes" and "Nuclear Kills All Life." Demonstrators demanded a halt to Japan's nuclear development plans, as well as protesting the compensation package announced by TEPCO to those affected by the Fukushima disaster—$12,000 to families of two or more members and $9,000 for people living alone. (NTD TV, April 15) The protest came as the government admitted the area around Fukushima could be uninhabitable for nearly a generation. Kenichi Matsumoto, an aide to Prim Minister Naoto Kan, said (in a classically Orwellian construction) that the contamination will "momentarily" bar the area's human habitability for between "10 and 20 years." (AGI, April 13)

A nuclear expert has warned that it might be a century before melting fuel rods can be safely removed from the Fukushima plant. "As the water leaks out, you keep on pouring water in, so this leak will go on for ever," said Dr John Price, a former member of the Safety Policy Unit at the UK's National Nuclear Corporation. "There has to be some way of dealing with it. The water is connecting in tunnels and concrete-lined pits at the moment and the question is whether they can pump it back. The final thing is that the reactors will have to be closed and the fuel removed, and that is 50 to 100 years away. It means that the workers and the site will have to be intensely controlled for a very long period of time." Anti-nuclear protests in Tokyo —and around the planet
Submitted by Bill Weinberg on Fri, 04/15/2011 - 16:52.

More than a hundred protesters gathered outside the headquarters of Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) on April 15, with banners reading "No Nukes" and "Nuclear Kills All Life." Demonstrators demanded a halt to Japan's nuclear development plans, as well as protesting the compensation package announced by TEPCO to those affected by the Fukushima disaster—$12,000 to families of two or more members and $9,000 for people living alone. (NTD TV, April 15) The protest came as the government admitted the area around Fukushima could be uninhabitable for nearly a generation. Kenichi Matsumoto, an aide to Prim Minister Naoto Kan, said (in a classically Orwellian construction) that the contamination will "momentarily" bar the area's human habitability for between "10 and 20 years." (AGI, April 13)

A nuclear expert has warned that it might be a century before melting fuel rods can be safely removed from the Fukushima plant. "As the water leaks out, you keep on pouring water in, so this leak will go on for ever," said Dr John Price, a former member of the Safety Policy Unit at the UK's National Nuclear Corporation. "There has to be some way of dealing with it. The water is connecting in tunnels and concrete-lined pits at the moment and the question is whether they can pump it back. The final thing is that the reactors will have to be closed and the fuel removed, and that is 50 to 100 years away. It means that the workers and the site will have to be intensely controlled for a very long period of time." (Radio Australia, April 1)

Methinks Shimizu , may be heading for another little visit to the hospital for some R&R...

TEPCO sources said company executives are also concerned about a possible lawsuit by shareholders over such compensation payments.

Masataka Shimizu, the embattled president of Tokyo Electric Power Co., promised compensation to evacuees who fled the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, but he stopped short of providing specific amounts or a timetable.

When asked why Shimizu didn't give a specific amount, a high-ranking TEPCO executive said, "He cannot clearly state the amount of provisional payments, which could end up totaling a huge amount, until the board of directors gives its approval."

TEPCO executives have been hesitant about presenting a clear direction on compensation because of fears the total could balloon endlessly if provisional payments start before clear compensation guidelines are established www.asahi.com...

But, Shimizu refuses to step down...IMO, both PM Kan, and Smimizu, have some heavy hitters backing them.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 Tepco chief vows to stay at helm

Shimizu fails to deliver ideas to stabilize reactor

By KAZUAKI NAGATA
STAFF WRITER
A day after the accident at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant was raised to the level of Chernobyl, Tokyo Electric Power Co. President Masataka Shimizu offered apologies but was unable to outline specific ideas or plans to stabilize the situation. search.japantimes.co.jp...

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Just wondering if anyone has any word on this bad boy? was reported leaving on 4-8. on a big ol jet...any reports of it making it to site?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Very interesting bugs... and you can have them for dinner (errr well...) Now if we could only learn to use that radiation directly that would be great. But it seems they won't eat up (as in get rid of) radiation, they just live off the energy

I wonder what they would evolve into if dumped into Fukushima though

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Video of the water sampling of spent fuel pool in reactor 4

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

zorgon , in an earlier post you mention the water levels in the 'pit' or trench or whatever and how they pump water out but it fills back up to the same level , but no more.

It looks to me that the torus actually sits a little lower than actual ground level and that it is built in kind of a basement that would make a pretty good pool . The Japanese nuclear expert that was linked a couple hundred pages ago said that the weak link in the reactor was where the torus was joined to the secondary containment.

I know one can build concrete ships, and it seems that either the tsnumani or the seawater pumping would have completely submerged the torus , I would image that it's displacement would have been enormous and it could have floated a bit cracking to hell all kinds of connections .

It would be interesting to learn if the torus sits above or below sea level, and if the pit/trench water level is equal to sea level or equal to the height of the connection between the torus and the containment vessel
edit on 15-4-2011 by Silverlok because: you for one

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Remember that Core Shroud Replacement that was under way at 4 (reported anyway)

seems like this process was invented to repair reactors instead of replacing

guess where it was first done?

The world's first shroud replacement project for a Boiling Water Reactor (BWR) has been completed at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit No.3 (1F-3), owned and operated by Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO).

anyway here is a link as to how thats all done

Toshiba

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Procharmo

Wow, that bird migration map is impressive! Looks like those frequent flier miles won't be paying good dividends any longer. Unfortunately, there are lot more bird species than the 3 you mentioned..

List of birds in Japan

Peace

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Radiation Exposure Levels Going Up Everywhere

“Radiation is continuing to leak out of the reactors, the situation is not stable at all, radiation continues to leak,” says Dr. Michio Kaku, professor of theoretical physics at the City University of New York and top graduate of Harvard. “We are looking at a ticking timebomb. It appears stable but the slightest disturbance, a secondary earthquake, a pipe break, evacuation of the crew at Fukishima could set off a full scale melt down at three nuclear power stations–far beyond what we saw at Chernobyl.”

Aftershocks rattling Japan after the nation’s record quake on March 11 may continue for at least six months, increasing the risk of damage to a crippled nuclear plant at the center of the worst nuclear crisis since Chernobyl. “Aftershocks as big as magnitude-7 are likely to continue hitting in eastern and northern Japan for at least six months,” said Teruyuki Kato, a professor at the University of Tokyo’s Earthquake Research Institute.

link

I saw this posted in another thread and wanted to repost it here. Good recent article with lots of information. This nuclear disaster is far from over, even though the mainstream media is reporting it less and less now.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
. Arnie Gundersen Speaks With Russia Today About the… Gundersen discusses why it took so long to increase the accident severity level at Fukushima to a 7. He addresses the current status of the Unit 4 fuel pool. Gundersen also talks about the bad data being released by TEPCO.
vimeo.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Originally posted by okiecowboy

The world's first shroud replacement project for a Boiling Water Reactor (BWR) has been completed at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit No.3 (1F-3), owned and operated by Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO).

Toshiba

Eight hundred stars and flags for you !!! (If I could, I would.)

I guess the shroud replacement didn't work so well, huh?

Great find.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
zorgon , in an earlier post you mention the water levels in the 'pit' or trench or whatever and how they pump water out but it fills back up to the same level , but no more.

Not only that but earlier I heard them mention that they were sure water was getting into 'subterranean facilities' Still waiting to see when that comes back up in print. I'll see if I can find anything on the depth of the torus in the construction links

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
. Arnie Gundersen Speaks With Russia Today About the… Gundersen discusses why it took so long to increase the accident severity level at Fukushima to a 7. He addresses the current status of the Unit 4 fuel pool. Gundersen also talks about the bad data being released by TEPCO.
vimeo.com...

Good video.

Respected American nuclear engineer Arnie Gundersen (who served as an expert witness in the Three Mile Island investigation) says the Fukushima accident is 'Chernobyl on steroids'.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Video of the water sampling of spent fuel pool in reactor 4

If you stop the video at :27 you can clearly see in the lower left hand corner the white dry tops of the rack , it seems to be somewhat lower than the spot they are sampling , and they never get the camera pointed in a way so that one can see how high (low) the water level is ( when operating properly the top of the rack is under twenty or thirty feet of water which puts it just under teh floating bridge (the green thing)) I think someone kept the camera angle a bit high to keep us from being able to measure the distance between that water and the bridge

Also the storage pool racks are built in kind of a modular fashion so there are a bunch of sections, if anyone of them leaks (that one would go dry) the water would go down to the top of the rods which would quickly boil the water away (and it looks as if the left and right sides of the pool have done just that), if that sample was actually taken from that water it could not have been in there very long, but given the construction of the pool I do not see a way for a part of the top to be dry and another part to be wet, unless the top of the rack was damaged/dented down below the level of the other containment racks.

and if they are willing to answer questions ( like how they got the sample ) what is the water like in #3, one can easily get to it using the same crane technique

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I think they were doing more than repair reactor 4, most likely doing some type of modifications to run 100% mox. Is reactor 3 and 4 the same type of BWR along with the other reactors?

I found some info about using BWR to run 50-100% mox fuel that was tested around 1995:

I read most of this, basically they said that using 100% mox is more efficient than using 50% mox. If they want to use mox, they should use the highest % possible to save money.

MOX fuel will be used in existing commercial BWR cores as a part of reload fuels with equivalent operability, safety and economy to U02 fuel in Japan. The design concept should be compatible with UO, fuel design. High bumup UO, fuels are being developed and commercialized step by step. The MOX fuel planned to be introduced in around year 2000 will use the same hardware as U0: 8 x 8 array fuel developed for a second step of U02 high burnup fuel. The target discharge exposure of this MOX fuel is about 33 Wd/t. And the loading fraction of MOX fuel is approximately one-third in an equilibrium core. On the other hand, it becomes necessary to minimize a number of MOX fuels and plants utilizing MOX fuel, mainly due to the fuel economy, handling cost and inspection cost in site. For the above reasons, it is needed to develop a high bumup MOX fuel containing much Pu and a core with a large amount of MOX fuels. The purpose of this study is to evaluate basic nuclear fuel and core characteristics of BWR high bumup MOX fuel with batch average exposure of about 39.5 GWd/t using 9 x 9 array fuel. The loading fraction of MOX fuel in the core is within a range of about 50% to 100%. Also the influence of Pu isotopic composition fluctuations and Pu-241 decay upon nuclear characteristics
are studied.

www.iaea.org...

Toshiba

edit on 15-4-2011 by hack2011 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 715  716  717    719  720  721 >>

join