It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 716.htm
<< 713  714  715    717  718  719 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
I look here on this thread first thing in the morning to find the news!

You want answers? How about this one from TEPCO.... regarding the fuel pool in #4

Taking a water sample from the pool

See? Nothing to worry about Pool is intact and full of water, albeit hot water

NHK mentioned seeing the ripples in the water that proved the water was above the fuel rods

From Cryptome

edit on 15-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by mrbillshow
I believe the most recent report says it has not reached it's previous level yet, but is close.

Well you are free to 'believe' anything you want...
Me I prefer to read what little reports we do get and take that info

TEPCO monitoring wastewater at No.2 reactor

Tokyo Electric Power Company says the level of radioactive water is increasing in a tunnel at the No.2 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

The large amount of contaminated water in basements and tunnels is hampering operations to restore the plant's cooling systems.

On Wednesday, TEPCO finished transferring some of the wastewater -- about 660 tons -- from the No.2 reactor tunnel to a condenser in a turbine building.

It says the water level in the tunnel dropped 8 centimeters after the transfer, but had returned to its previous level by Friday morning.
Earlier this month, TEPCO found highly radioactive water leaking into the sea from a pit near the No.2 reactor.

The utility suspects that plugging the leak has trapped radioactive water from the No.2 reactor in the tunnel.

TEPCO says there are at least 50,000 tons of contaminated water at the plant. It will use a waste-processing facility, makeshift storage tanks and a floating tank to store the radioactive water.

The company is also preparing for a possible shutdown of external power sources, as major aftershocks continue. It plans to finish moving emergency diesel power generators to higher ground on Friday to protect them from tsunami.

Friday, April 15, 2011 12:18 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

But heck... what do I know? I is just a freak

I don't think anyone is surprised it has reached it's previous level as of Fri, by tomorrow it may have risen above that.

But this was your comment to which I was responding;

"Now the scary part is this... they emptied so much water, and a day later it fills to the same level... BUT NO HIGHER."

It hadn't reached it's previous level the next day, a small but factually incorrect statement. You then state the level hadn't risen above that but I'm not sure how you know this since the last report said only that it had reached its previous level as of Fri monring and I haven't been able to find any subsequent reports. Unless you have further information others can't find, that would be another factually incorrect statement.

Now I don't want to fight with you but since you chose to challenge me on my post in a rather snarky nature, I feel I must respond. It is my opinion that you make factually incorrect statements on a regular basis. In fact, you do it so often I would have to peg you at a believability level of 3 on a scale of one to ten. In the absence of TRN you have become the leader of this board, which is fine, everything including internet bulletin boards do better with leaders. But I think you need to take that responsibility seriously and double check your statements of fact and separate them from those of opinion as many rely on this thread to understand what is going on and to communicate it to friends and relatives. I know I do.

But that's just me, others may disagree.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Fukushima Farmers Association 'requesting' [demand] compensation... still the pomp just to present a paper... gotta keep up appearances ;up:

Yup they brought some strawberries along to feed to Kan... he ate one but I notice not one of his staff did, and get a look at the guy on the left eeing those cucumbers

Says TEPCO will pay and government will take up the rest

TEPCO to pay damages to affected residents

The operator of the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant says it has decided [was ordered] to make temporary payments to affected residents for damages.

Tokyo Electric Power Company President Masataka Shimizu announced the decision on Friday in response to a request from the government.

The compensation is to cover residents within 30 kilometers of the damaged power plant who have been instructed to evacuate or stay indoors to avoid radiation.

Each family is to receive one million yen, or about 12,000 dollars, and each single-person household 9,000 dollars.

The total payments are expected to be around 600 million dollars.

The company is to soon begin coordinating with local authorities, holding briefings at evacuation centers and distributing application forms before starting the payments.

On paying for farmers and fishery workers, Shimizu said only that the firm will follow government guidelines and take fair and swift steps.

Friday, April 15, 2011 16:02 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

MMMM Strawberries.... with milk.... be right back

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

It hadn't reached it's previous level the next day, a small but factually incorrect statement.

You forget that Japan is a day ahead of us and when I reported that it was from the live feed on NHK which gets posted later. Most new live updates on NHK are around 10 pm my time which is about 4 pm the next day in Japan. What I post I back up with links and captures that anyone can easily follow. Just because your not listening to the live reports and hearing the latest before its in print is not my fault.

Not sure what your purpose is in this thread other than to stir the pot, but my swords are sharper than yours

by tomorrow it may have risen above that.

No because before they started pumping it had maintained the same level They used that plugged leak as an excuse why its rising again showing the same infamous picture of the leak they supposedly plugged

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pilot
reply to post by mistafaz

There are no safety measures or protocols to save us from being human. I always thought compassion was a virtue...

Human qualities are what propagated this mess in the first place. Greed and pride to name a few!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Fukushima Univ. checking high-altitude radiation

Fukushima University is checking radiation levels high in the atmosphere to get a better grasp of the extent of contamination from the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. The university says it released a large balloon on Friday carrying a weather observation device called a "radiosonde" as well as radiation measurement equipment into the skies above Fukushima City.
LINK

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I understand time zones. Can you show us the report you read stating the water levels had reached their previous highs in 24 hours? Can you show us the report stating the level had stabilized at it's previous level and remained there, implying previous efforts to curb the leaking in the tunnel and pit to be ineffective? I'm not saying you're wrong but you made statements of fact, not opinion, and I ask that you back it up. These are small issues but I can go back over the last two weeks and find dozens of similar examples.

Zorgon you post good info and many of your observations and opinions are spot on, all I ask is that you take your position as TRN's stand in seriously. People are reading what you say and if it isn't reliable you are doing nothing different thenwhat Tepco does with their press releases.

As for my intention with these posts, it's to restore this thread to it's previous value.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by okiecowboy
there is a slight difference between humans....humans can take clothing of and be washed and deconed...animals can't as easy....in small numbers yeah maybe...but think about the number of animals.....

Most animals also lick their fur to clean themselves, so by now, sad as this situation is, they would have ingested a lot of contaminates, including any in food that they could forage for. It's been 30 days plus now...

Lots of nasty pet owners lick their animals tongues. So that's a double whamy!!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrbillshow please star this post.

edit on 15-4-2011 by mrbillshow because: more

mrbill, I consider giving of stars, as an important function of ATSers, letting other posters know that something they gave added to the thread, is of value to the overall discussion. It's something given as a kind of reward also. In that frame of mind, I find you begging for stars, to be a bit childish. I will admit, I haven't given you any stars...yet. But, I haven't found anything of value, in what you have posted.

Des

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Village Idiot

Originally posted by Procharmo

If all pets within your area could not be evacuated would you stay with your dog? I don't understand the logic,be it dog, chimpanzee or spider. They are not a compatible species, you can't reproduce with them, outside of hunting what use would it have anyway?

Besides it would draw the packs of strays to your location and then you'd have all the dogs and trouble you could ever wish for.

Talking about Logic, I don't understand yours. Are you saying that to be compatible with something it has to be able to produce your offspring?

I would say, we are not the compatible species for this planet if you see what humans do this Earth!
You seem to forget what species created this bloody mess in the first place, the least we can do is show some compassion to the creatures who fall victim to our greedy ways, there's no place for human ego now.

edit on 15-4-2011 by Village Idiot because: annoyted

Well if we use your logic we might as well start saving bed bugs from radiation and not the furry cute "good looking" higher intelligence animals you so desire.

There is no room for compassionate tendencies where the single minded goal of survival is concerned.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

all I ask is that you take your position as TRN's stand in seriously.

TRN's stand in?

I don't work at a nuke plant nor am I a nuclear physicist. Seems you only value one persons opinion... sorry if the rest of us freaks don't meet your standard

Silly Lemming

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Procharmo
Human qualities are what propagated this mess in the first place. Greed and pride to name a few!

Yeah this planet would be GREAT if we could just eliminate those pesky humans right? BTW do you have any pets? Just curious

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
reply to post by AlaskanDad

RIA Novosti article adds to Kyodo, about zeolite bags.

TEPCO begins dumping radiation-absorbent bags into sea

en.rian.ru/news/20110415/163539117.html

10:08 15/04/2011

Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), the operator of Japan's crippled Fukushima 1 Nuclear Power Plant, began dumping bags with zeolites which are able to absorb radioactive substances into the sea, Kyodo news agency reported on Friday.

Bags were also dumped into the drainage system of the second and third power blocks.

Zeolites are microporous, aluminosilicate minerals commonly used as commercial adsorbents.

(...)

I really need to ask this. Is this TEPCO saying they are trying the "diaper" fix, with the ocean

Des

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
...staying on topic...

I really feel for the people caught up in this situation. Even if they are not affected by the radiation, the stress and worry must be hard to live with - especially when it comes to children.

Schools keep kids indoors / Outdoor activities in Fukushima Pref. stopped over radiation

According to experts, radioactive substances detected in the school yards of 19 primary schools have not "reached a level to affect people's health."

Despite this assurance, the central government's failure to provide any guidelines on students' outdoor activities has left schools wondering what to do.

The school yard of Yamakiya Primary School in Kawamatamachi recorded the highest level: 59,059 becquerels per kilogram of soil for both isotopes. The school began holding its physical education class indoors after the new academic year started on April 6 and such events as excursions and hiking will be suspended.

Yomiuri

edit on 15-4-2011 by Moonbeams771 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Slightly off topic but may be of interest to some of you

Earlier on in this thread there was plenty of talk about radioactive waste and even reactors having previously been dumped into the Pacific.

Then I read this:

Pacific salmon may be dying from leukemia-type virus

In Canada's Fraser River, a mysterious illness has killed millions of Pacific salmon, and scientists have a new hypothesis about why: The wild salmon are suffering from viral infections similar to those linked to some forms of leukemia and lymphoma.
LINK

Now I add this:

Low-level radiation at Hanford tied to risk of fatal leukemia, study says

Studies more commonly have looked at high doses of radiation in groups such as Japanese atomic-bomb survivors, medical patients who receive radiation and nuclear workers in the former Soviet Union. But the results of the new study are consistent with those studies in finding that the risk of death from leukemia increases uniformly as the amount of exposure increases, Schubauer-Berigan said.
LINK

After having read the article on the leukemia in salmon I wondered the years of dumping nuclear wastes into our oceans was catching up with us. The second article was linked just to show radiation is a known cause of leukemia.
I'm not saying they are connected, just sharing a question that popped into my mind.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Is it just me? If not, please star this post.

You know... you are screaming for people to stick to the facts... yet you know as well as anyone that facts are not flowing as they should and updates lately are few and far between as even NHK is more interested in talking about Chinese pawn shops and blossoming cherry trees...

But scanning through your posts on this thread I see little productive presenting of facts from you and a lot of knocking other posts and posters.

How about digging up some cold hard facts and presenting them with links... then maybe you will collect a star or two as well

Time to cut the grass be back later

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Prime Minister of Japan Naoto Kan wrote an Op-Ed for New York Times/International Herald Tribune.

I.H.T. Op-Ed Contributor
Japan's Road to Recovery and Rebirth
By NAOTO KAN
Published: April 15, 2011

www.nytimes.com/2011/04/16/opinion/16iht-edkan16.html

On March 11, Japan was hit by one of the most powerful earthquakes in recorded history. We are making all-out efforts to restore livelihoods and recover from the series of tragedies that followed the Great East Japan Earthquake. The disaster left more than 28,000 people, including foreign citizens, dead or missing.

Since March 11, Japan has been strongly supported by our friends around the world. On behalf of the Japanese people, I would like to express my sincerest gratitude for the outpouring of support and solidarity we have received from more than 130 countries, nearly 40 international organizations, numerous nongovernmental organizations, and countless individuals from all parts of the world. The Japanese people deeply appreciate the kizuna (“bonds of friendship”) that have been shown to us. Through this hardship, we have come to truly understand that a friend in need is a friend indeed.

(...)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

new topics

<< 713  714  715    717  718  719 >>

join