It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 712.htm
<< 709  710  711    713  714  715 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

U.S. lets embassy staff families to return to Japan after evacuation

The U.S. Department of State on Thursday lifted an advisory to families of U.S. embassy staff in Tokyo to leave Japan voluntarily on the grounds that efforts to control the troubled nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture are going well.

''The situation at the plant is dramatically different today than it was on March 16 ... (because) planning has begun to control radioactive contamination and mitigate future dangers,'' it said.

english.kyodonews.jp...

And also Redneck has been seen petting a Unicorn and windsurfing in Fukushima bay.......

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Arluk

Nope you are not confused..
reports are Reactor 4 was shut down for maint..nov 30....
and the new fuel for it was in the spent fuel pool as well as the old fuel

HOWEVER

there have been some fishy things going on in regards to reactor 4

I have my ideas as to what
edit on 15-4-2011 by okiecowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
More news from kyodo

--

Melted nuclear fuel likely settled at bottom of crippled reactors

TOKYO, April 15, Kyodo

Nuclear fuel inside the crippled reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant has partially melted and settled at the bottom of pressure vessels in the shape of grains, according to an analysis by the Atomic Energy Society of Japan made public by Friday.

The academic body's panel on nuclear energy safety has said the melted fuel at the No. 1 to 3 reactors has been kept at a relatively low temperature, discounting the possibility that a large amount of melted fuel has already built up at the bottom of their reactor vessels given the temperature readings there.

A large buildup of melted nuclear fuel at the bottom could become a molten mass so hot that it could damage the critical containers and eventually leak huge amounts of radioactive material.

The panel has also said that the fuel grains with a diameter of between several millimeters and 1 centimeter are believed to have settled flatly at the bottom of the vessels, leaving almost no possibility of a nuclear chain reaction called ''recriticality.''

Takashi Sawada, deputy chairman of the group, gave the assessment that even if the current stabilization efforts proceed smoothly, it would take at least two to three months for the fuel to be stabilized with few if any radioactive emissions.

The panel also found that the fuel rods in the No. 1 to 3 reactors have been damaged after analyzing information made public by the plant operator Tokyo Electric Poser Co. and the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency under the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

The panel has presumed that the fuel has slowly melted and become grain shaped as it was quenched when it fell into the cooling water and then settled down at the bottom of the reactor pressure vessels.

Parts of the fuel rods in the No. 1 and 2 reactors have apparently been exposed, while those in the No. 3 reactor have been completely submerged in water, according to the panel.

Meanwhile, small amounts of plutonium believed to have been released as a result of the ongoing disaster have been detected in soil samples taken at the nuclear complex in Fukushima Prefecture, the plant operator known as TEPCO said.

It is the third time that traces of plutonium have been found in soil samples taken at the plant. The latest samples were taken on March 31 and April 4. The levels of plutonium in them were about the same levels observed in Japan following previous nuclear tests elsewhere, according to the utility.

On Friday, workers continued their efforts to bring the reactors under control and stop radioactive leaks from the seaside plant, injecting more nitrogen gas into the No. 1 reactor and installing more steel sheets near a seawater intake for the No. 2 reactor.

TEPCO said it will throw sandbags containing zeolite, a mineral that absorbs radioactive material, into the sea near the plant to reduce the levels of contamination in the seawater.

The nitrogen injection is aimed at preventing a hydrogen explosion at the reactor. At a news conference on Friday, nuclear safety agency spokesman Hidehiko Nishiyama said the agency is also considering injecting nitrogen into the other two troubled reactors soon.

TEPCO has pumped out around 660 tons of highly radioactive water from a tunnel connected to the No. 2 reactor's turbine building into a container inside the building.

The operation resulted in a lower water level in the vertical part of the tunnel, but the agency said that as of Friday morning the level had risen back to the same level as before the water transfer started on Tuesday.

Removing the highly contaminated water that has flooded the basements of the No. 1 to 3 reactor turbine buildings and adjacent tunnels is seen as key to restoring critical cooling systems for the damaged reactors, which were lost in the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

The flooding water is believed to be an unintended side effect of TEPCO's stopgap measure of injecting water into the reactors and their spent nuclear fuel pools to prevent them from overheating.

---

english.kyodonews.jp

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Efforts at containment of radiation fail.

Why can't radiation be DIRECTED instead of contained?

If you can use electromagnetic radiation to push an electron to subluminal speeds, surely the opposite effect is possible. If you can direct photons around something, surely you can also direct radiation waveforms.

We have any physicists?

If you could direct and push up speed of a radiation wave form, could you push it straight up and out of the atmosphere? Like the nanowire concept made of energy?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JackBauer
The flooding water is believed to be an unintended side effect of TEPCO's stopgap measure of injecting water into the reactors and their spent nuclear fuel pools to prevent them from overheating.

"unintended side effect"

Okay let me try an understand this...

Cooling pumps are not working because the areas are flooded with water so they cannot work on them, as well as the levels of radiation are too high to get near them...

They pumped some water out and it filled right back in again to the same level...

They are continuously (supposedly) pumping water in to keep things cool, despite the fact that they say they have no idea of the water levels...

Just WHERE do they think all that water they are pouring on the rectors, pools, fuel rods, etc IS GOING?

Now the scary part is this... they emptied so much water, and a day later it fills to the same level... BUT NO HIGHER. The only way THAT makes sense is that once it reaches that level, the rest is going somewhere else. It has to be, because they repeatedly state that they are pumping water IN continuously

So WHERE IS THAT WATER GOING?
edit on 15-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Why can't radiation be DIRECTED instead of contained?

The sheer size of magnetic containment field you would need to direct the emissions from that area would be tremendous and require a lot of power. Look at CERN... how much that requires to direct a small single beam

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
First off, apologies for the length of this post, however this is an important topic and I feel that it warrants the extra space.

Originally posted by Arluk

snip

Haven’t we been told Reactor No. 4 was out of service, empty, being maintained, not working?

All the fuel was out of the reactor pressure vessel, right?

Therefore there should NOT be radioactive material potentially leaking from the vessel, but the report suggests there MIGHT be radioactive material somewhere in the vessel.

Is TEPCO unsure about the ‘real’ status of No.4 and what was, or is now, in the reactor vessel? Shards and powder from the explosions and disintegrating buildings to which water leaking from the damaged fuel storage pool oozed into the vessel and is now resulting in leakium

If radioactive material is potentially leaking from the vessel in quantities significant enough to result in a surge in radiation, something is not computing.

Am I reading the article correctly?

Maybe I have my reactors confused … and No.4 is not the empty one?

PS. Somebody did suggest that maybe No. 4 was in the process of being reloaded but this has not been substantiated.

I've gone looking into older news articles and this is what I've managed to locate in a short bit of searching:

Reactor No.4
Reactor 4 was undergoing routine maintenance at the time of the earthquake and tsunami, so there were no fuel rods in the reactor core. But the building was damaged by two fires on March 15 and 16, likely caused by a buildup of hydrogen from the rods in the spent fuel pool. Water has been regularly sprayed on the building and spent fuel pool using water cannons and concrete pumping trucks, and seawater has been added to the spent fuel pool. Lighting at part of the facility was restored on March 29.

Source

And

At the time of the quake, Reactor 4 was offline and not generating power amid annual maintenance. As part of that, five months ago Tepco relocated all the fuel rods—the heavy tubes that contain radioactive fuel pellets—from inside the reactor to what's called a spent-fuel pool, a concrete holding tank that is less robustly protected than the reactor itself.

"We were carrying out checks on the inside of the reactor" and, thus, workers "had to remove the nuclear fuel from the reactor," said Takeshi Makigami, head of Tepco's nuclear-equipment-management section.

The active rods were in that pool when the March 11 quake struck. When the tsunami wiped out the plant's emergency generators, the water in the spent-fuel pool adjacent to the No. 4 reactor could no longer circulate, and fresh water could not be pumped in. Rods in the pools began to overheat, causing the water to evaporate as steam and exposing parts of the radioactive rods to the air—a critically dangerous situation. The heat spawned fires and the roof above the pool was partly destroyed, letting radiation out.

In the first days after the quake, officials weren't focused on the situation at Reactor No. 4, since it was one of the three reactors at the plant, along with Nos. 5 and 6, that were offline for maintenance.

Source

And

According to a “background” telephone call with a senior U.S. nuclear executive, the spent fuel pool at reactor #4 had "normal water" as of Friday morning March 18 and, as a result, the fuel in it will not melt down releasing massive amounts of radiation into the atmosphere.

The executive said that on March 17, the concrete on one side of the pool fell away. That damage may have come from one of the hydrogen explosions. However, the one-and-half inch steel liner around the pool remains intact which means it is likely the pool is not leaking.

Source

And finally (at least for this post)

Due to maintenance in Unit 4 entire core stored in Fuel pool

Source

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I wonder if the reason that the Jap govt have waited so long to order the collection of bodies in Fukushima prefecture following the tsunami - is that now anyone who has died of radioactive fallout will also be added into the numbers dead from the tsunami and no one will be any wiser..

Helps those pro-nuke people who think only 50 people died as a result of Chernobyl !

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

All of the still-fresh fuel from reactor 4 had been offloaded to the used fuel pool for maintenance of the reactor before the original earthquake and tsunami.

It is particularly "fresh", generating more heat and radiation and making it harder to keep the water in this pool cool and not boil away.

There are many pieces of evidence that the pool *did* boil away in the days after the accident. At this time, there may have been damage to the fuel rods and a large release of radioactive substances into the air. Normally, such hot fuel rods only exist in the containment vessels of the reactor - but sitting in the pool there is zero containment if the water boils away.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAlive

All of the still-fresh fuel from reactor 4 had been offloaded to the used fuel pool for maintenance of the reactor before the original earthquake and tsunami.

It is particularly "fresh", generating more heat and radiation and making it harder to keep the water in this pool cool and not boil away.

There are many pieces of evidence that the pool *did* boil away in the days after the accident. At this time, there may have been damage to the fuel rods and a large release of radioactive substances into the air. Normally, such hot fuel rods only exist in the containment vessels of the reactor - but sitting in the pool there is zero containment if the water boils away.

It reactor 4 contained no fuel, how do you explain TEPCO's statement that radioactive material could be leaking from the pressure vessel of reactor 4?

Radiation surges above 4's fuel pool

Tokyo Electric Power Co. was unsure whether the surge in radiation was being caused by the spent fuel rods or radioactive material leaking from the reactor's pressure vessel.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

I trust TEPCO like I trust a used car salesman.

Who knows - maybe there still is live fuel in that reactor???

At this point, I have no idea.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

I have been a long time lurker (7 years). Yesterday I joined up because I wanted to thank everyone in this thread for their outstanding contributions. I understand a little about nuclear science now (I admit a lot of the posts are way over my head but I get the gist, I think!).

The other reason that I joined is because Redneck has just vanished. I too hope he is well and simply too busy for this thread at the moment. I hope he pops by at some point.

To all of you, thank you so much for all your hard work. There are plenty lurkers out there who wont sign up but are more aware because of people like you who are willing and able to share their knowledge.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Has this been posted yet? Sorry if so; there is no way I have the time to keep up with all of this thread.

Meltdown confirmed?

Nuclear fuel inside the crippled reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant has partially melted and settled at the bottom of pressure vessels in the shape of grains, according to an analysis by the Atomic Energy Society of Japan made public by Friday.

The academic body's panel on nuclear energy safety has said the melted fuel at the No. 1 to 3 reactors has been kept at a relatively low temperature, discounting the possibility that a large amount of melted fuel has already built up at the bottom of their reactor vessels given the temperature readings there.

More at source:
english.kyodonews.jp...
edit on 4/15/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Behavior of nuclear fuel during a reactor accident
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

The Irish Times - Friday, April 15, 2011
Melting of Japan plant's fuel rods confirmed

www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/0415/1224294728753.html

the wording here excludes reactor 2, Kyodo and others include it.

DAVID McNEILL in Tokyo

SCIENTISTS SAY the fight to bring Japan’s crippled nuclear power plant under control could take three months or more, even if not hampered by further earthquakes. The announcement comes after another day of aftershocks, including one with an epicentre about 25km from the Fukushima plant.

The head of the Atomic Energy Society of Japan, Takashi Sawada, said yesterday that fuel rods in reactors 1 and 3 have melted and settled at the bottom of their containment vessels, confirming fears that the plant suffered a partial meltdown after last month’s huge earthquake and tsunami.

(...)

edit on 15-4-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mistafaz
reply to post by predator0187

Would you do the same if they were people?

Given the circumstances of this disaster...Yes even my own family if I had to. It doesn't make me happy or proud to feel this way but I'd do it if it meant less of a means for radiological particulates to spread. Saving those dogs is the weakness that embodies humanity in situations as these, compassion.

You just want to get the machete out as in "28 days later" !

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Satisfying to hear that TEPCO is being made to pay up.www.bbc.co.uk...

I hope this cripples them financially. £7,331 pounds is by no means adequate for families who have lost everything, but it's a start.

edit on 15-4-2011 by scotland48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
reply to post by Ektar

I would never leave my dog. She's my only child and as important to me as any family member. We'd pack up in the car together as soon as there was a hint of an incident and get on a plane outathere. People should have made arrangements for their animals. As humans it's our responsibility, part of the deal. Anyway.

A lot of talk about tarps and such. Not much going on eh? I doubt there's anything nefarious to these, probably just covering up generators, batteries, and other equipment to protect them from saltwater exposure on an open barge deck. Pretty common practice actually.

What did raise my eyebrows is if they are going to change the Capitol. Drip Drip Drip.... Que CBIRF team. Toyko, "you're on your own".

If all pets within your area could not be evacuated would you stay with your dog? I don't understand the logic,be it dog, chimpanzee or spider. They are not a compatible species, you can't reproduce with them, outside of hunting what use would it have anyway?

Besides it would draw the packs of strays to your location and then you'd have all the dogs and trouble you could ever wish for.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Don't know if anyone noticed when I first posted this a lot of pages back, but it seems Reactor Number 4 wasn't exactly empty of fuel at the time of the quake according to this footnote in this report from JAIF:

Unit-1, 2, 3 & 4, which were in full operation when the earthquake occurred, all shutdown automatically. External power supply was available after the quake. While injecting water into the reactor pressure vessel using make-up water system, TEPCO recovered the core cooling function and made the unit into cold shutdown state one by one. No parameter has shown abnormality after the earthquake occurred off an shore of Miyagi prefecture at 23:32, Apr. 7th

www.jaif.or.jp...

It would explain a lot of the anomalies concerning No. 4 if it were actually in operation at the time.
edit on 15-4-2011 by apacheman because: fix link

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
New 3 month plan to attempt to stop radiation leaking. But, this new nifty plan says this really...

NO PLAN TO STOP JAPAN NUCLEAR REACTOR RADIATION LEAK FOR AT LEAST 3 MONTHS.

Explained by this statement...I swear...this is like watching TEPCO trying to nail jello to a wall...

he manufacturer of the Fukushima nuclear reactor revealed the plan to end the nuclear reactor radiation leak which will be split into 3 phases over 10 years. The first stage will take about three months during which they plan to stabilize the nuclear reactor and spent fuel pools while preventing the radiation leak from increasing.

See the wiggle words eh? Note: The nifty new plan, is about STABILIZING, and keeping the leaks from INCREASING...oh my! Sweet new nifty plan huh.

Reactor makers draft 10-year decommission plan Japanese manufacturer Toshiba, which helped build the Fukushima Daiichi plant’s now crippled nuclear reactors, says decommissioning them will take at least 10 years.

Toshiba has drafted a plan with 4 US companies in the nuclear power industry to decommission the plant, including the Number 2 and 3 reactors that it built.

The company’s President Norio Sasaki said on Thursday that it has submitted the proposal to Tokyo Electric Power and the Industry Ministry. Prime Minister Naoto Kan had earlier asked the utility to come up with a plan to end the nuclear crisis.

The proposal is divided into 3 phases. The short-term plan, likely to take several months, involves cooling and stabilizing reactors and spent fuel pools, while preventing radioactive water from increasing.
Toshiba will then move toward the medium-term plan, involving the safe removal of nuclear fuel rods from the pools and pressure vessels, using special cranes to be set up near the reactor buildings. Toshiba says this work will take 5 years.

The final phase, dismantling the reactors and clearing the land, will take another 5 years. Toshiba says that radioactive substances released in the process must be removed during this phase.

Complete new nifty plan explained in wiggle words here.www3.nhk.or.jp...

Des
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 709  710  711    713  714  715 >>

join