It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 711.htm
<< 708  709  710    712  713  714 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Humm, fair enough. I'm waiting for the documentary.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

It's all good, I just didn't have a clue....I don't know much about human health & I had asked in an earlier
post re the people being turned away from shelters due to contamination...Their contamination could have been due to clothing, skin, & etc ....one feed back was possible lack of water for scrubbing...
My animals are my life...I cannot make decisions for others unless they or their animals are compromising the health of humans or other animals.
Hope you saw my reply to Silverlok, he beat me to the best solution for contaminated humans & animals that will not be leaving the area.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
The thermal images the Japanese defense ministry released have exposed the extent of Tepco's lies, but they omit certain days and changes in daily temperature scales imply collusion or at least unity of purpose between the two. Not to mention the angle choice. One thing they have highlighted is the fact that they are trying to play on hysteria even as they say don't be hysteric.

I am NOT releasing the extent of what I see in the thermals, as these criminal F's need to start helping OR BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE, Aeons suggestion is exactly what I am following now, but please try insulting us again with crap info...

I do not even put cracker crumbs on my soup

...a couple of observations THAT ARE IMPORTANT:

These guys are pumping 'hot' water all over the place, it's why they "innocently" don't understand why " it's so hot here .. or ...there"

scum

lying scum

due to what I am seeing I recommend either bunker bombs ( corium ) or a complete removal of Tepco from any sort of control

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

I'm sorry that you are so young in a world like this. It's not fair to you. I would suggest that since you are only 24, you just enjoy life as much as you can, but still plan as if you will live forever. Don't let what's happening sour your view of life and the world.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Apr. 14, 2011 7:01 PM ET

Experts: Store blood cells from Japan nuke workers

MALCOLM RITTER, AP Science Writer

hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/3d281c11a96b4ad082fe88aa0db04305/Article_2011-04-14-Japan%20Radiation/id-484f3ec72ccb44dc99e3eb1aaf810b57

and download.thelancet.com/flatcontentassets/pdfs/S0140673611605199.pdf

NEW YORK (AP) — Workers at Japan's troubled nuclear plant should store blood cells now in case they need them later as treatment for radiation overdose, some Japanese experts suggest.

Plant workers are struggling to control radiation leakage from the Fukushima Dai-ichi complex, which was severely damaged by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami. Radiation levels are dangerously high in some areas of the plant, and the experts note that the work there will take years, posing a risk of accidental exposure.

(...)

-

Store blood cells from Fukushima workers - Lancet letter

news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110414/hl_afp/japanquakenuclearhealth_20110414233552

– Thu Apr 14, 7:35 pm ET

PARIS (AFP) – A group of Japanese doctors on Friday urged workers at the Fukushima nuclear plant to have their blood stemcells stored as a safeguard should they be exposed to life-threatening levels of radiation.

The technique entails storing so-called autologous peripheral blood stem cells (PBSCs), which are immature cells that differentiate into blood cells.

PBSC transplants are often used in cancer treatment to boost depleted blood cell counts among patients who have had radiotherapy to destroy a tumour.

(...)

edit on 14-4-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
there is a slight difference between humans....humans can take clothing of and be washed and deconed...animals can't as easy....in small numbers yeah maybe...but think about the number of animals.....

Most animals also lick their fur to clean themselves, so by now, sad as this situation is, they would have ingested a lot of contaminates, including any in food that they could forage for. It's been 30 days plus now...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
IEMA Continues Sampling to Track Japanese Radiation
Levels detected present no health hazard
www.illinois.gov/PressReleases/ShowPressRelease.cfm?SubjectID=45&RecNum=9327

SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) today said the latest round of testing to assess the extent of radioactivity in Illinois from the Fukushima nuclear power plants in Japan found trace amounts of radioactive iodine in air, grass, milk and rainwater samples as well as minute levels of cesium in some milk samples.
The agency stressed that these findings are still far below established limits and present no health hazard to citizens in Illinois.
“The results from our continued sampling reinforce the fact that radiation from the Fukushima nuclear power plant poses absolutely no danger to people in Illinois,” said IEMA Director Jon Monken. “We will continue to collect and analyze samples from around the state until the situation in Japan is resolved.”

New test results include:

• Air samples taken at IEMA’s lab in Springfield between March 28 and April 4 showed lower levels of iodine-131 levels than samples taken between March 21 – 28. The concentrations detected are more than 2,000 times less than the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (USNRC) limit for airborne emissions. (Note: due to a unit conversion error, this was previously reported as more than 200,000 times less than the limit.)
• Grass and vegetation samples collected in southern Illinois last week were found to have trace amounts of iodine-131, cesium-137 and cesium-134. Grass and vegetation samples collected in central Illinois only showed minute levels of iodine-131. The iodine-131 was less than 25 percent of the FDA guideline for human consumption, while the cesium-137 and cesium-134 were less than 1 percent of the FDA guideline.
• Milk samples collected in southern Illinois last week were found to have trace levels of iodine-131. No radioactivity was detected in milk samples collected in northern Illinois. The highest concentration measured is more than 240 times less than the guideline established by the FDA.
• Rain water samples collected at IEMA facilities in Springfield and West Chicago within the last week had minute levels of iodine-131. The concentrations detected are more than 30 times less than the limit for liquid effluents released from operating nuclear power plants.
A report on the findings to date as well as information about sampling procedures and regulatory limits for these radionuclides has been posted on the Ready Illinois website at www.Ready.Illinois.gov and the IEMA website at www.iema.illinois.gov. This report will be updated periodically as new results are available.
###

Just wanted to mention that I remeber that tricky "little" thing between the EPA'S ACCEPTABLE LEVELS OF RADIOACTIVE FALLOUT IN FOOD, MILK, GRASS, ETC AND THE FDA'S IDIOTIC LEVELS.
u see, u see? eh eh, nudge nudge, wink, wink

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Kyodo News, 2 Partners Launch Online Site on Facebook for Donations from Abroad

www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/kyodo-news-2-partners-launch-online-site-on-facebook-for-donations-from-abroad-119829779.html

- Japan Platform, PayPal Join Kyodo in "Heart to Heart Japan311" Project -

TOKYO, April 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- On April 14, K.K. Kyodo News, Japan Platform (an NGO for disaster relief) and PayPal (a leading global online payment platform) set up a donation window on the Facebook website (Heart to Heart Japan311) that can receive relief money quicker and more securely from overseas people for help with disaster relief efforts for the Great East Japan Earthquake. The window is on Facebook's Kyodo News English site (www.facebook.com...), featuring information associated with the earthquake.

K.K. Kyodo News launched the Great East Japan Earthquake Facebook site on March 15 to post information related to the disaster and Fukushima nuclear plant crisis to help Facebook users -- said to be more than 500 million all over the world -- and over 94 million active PayPal users in 190 markets worldwide to better understand the country's realities.

(...)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Most animals also lick their fur to clean themselves

I know some people...errr nevermind...good point tho

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
The thermal images the Japanese defense ministry released have exposed the extent of Tepco's lies, but they omit certain days and changes in daily temperature scales imply collusion or at least unity of purpose between the two. Not to mention the angle choice. One thing they have highlighted is the fact that they are trying to play on hysteria even as they say don't be hysteric.

I am NOT releasing the extent of what I see in the thermals, as these criminal F's need to start helping OR BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE, Aeons suggestion is exactly what I am following now, but please try insulting us again with crap info...

I do not even put cracker crumbs on my soup

...a couple of observations THAT ARE IMPORTANT:

These guys are pumping 'hot' water all over the place, it's why they "innocently" don't understand why " it's so hot here .. or ...there"

scum

lying scum

due to what I am seeing I recommend either bunker bombs ( corium ) or a complete removal of Tepco from any sort of control

I should be very clear about this: Tepco IS no longer allowed to handle this event. If they are, governments and Corporations have no distinction , we are all expendable slaves, is that cool with everyone?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Agence France Presse - In Vienna, vow of 'prompt action' on lessons from Fukushima

www.nuclearpowerdaily.com/reports/In_Vienna_vow_of_prompt_action_on_lessons_from_Fukushima_999.html

by Staff Writers
Vienna (AFP) April 14, 2011
Japan's nuclear disaster dominated talks by members of the IAEA's nuclear safety convention, who vowed Thursday to take "prompt action" to apply lessons learned.

The 70-plus signatories to the Convention on Nuclear Safety said they were "committed to taking prompt actions" after a giant tsunami slammed into the Fukushima Daiichi plant on March 11.

As the CNS members wrapped up an 11-day conference vowing "to draw and act upon the lessons of the Fukushima accident," Greenpeace activists staged a protest outside saying the only lesson would be a "global phase out of nuclear energy."

(...)

--

Agence France Presse - Apr 15, 2011
Czech reactor shut after malfunction: Spokesman

www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/World/Story/STIStory_657025.html

PRAGUE - ONE of the four reactors at a Czech nuclear power plant near the south-eastern village of Dukovany was shut down on Thursday after a malfunction, but there were no health or environment hazards, a spokesman said.

The reactor was closed after a lack of water-tightness in the closing system of the primary circuit, he said, and stressed that 'no radioactive water has leaked'.

(...)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
reply to post by zorgon

Most animals also lick their fur to clean themselves

I know some people...errr nevermind...good point tho

That is a good point, although most people eat with their hands minus messy foods, so it would be very similar. I think it would really depend on how close they were to the actual plant itself.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
2011/04/13 23:07 KST
S. Korea increases travel restriction radius around Japanese nuclear plant

english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2011/04/13/25/0301000000AEN20110413012500315F.HTML

SEOUL, April 13 (Yonhap) -- South Korea is restricting its citizens from traveling to some areas in Japan that are more than 30 kilometers away from the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant, the foreign ministry said Wednesday amid persistent fears of harmful radiation leaks.

South Korea has raised its travel alert on four areas beyond the plant's 30-km radius, placing a Level 3 'travel restriction' on Iitate village, the town of Kawamata and the cities of Tamura and Minamisoma, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade said in a release posted on its Web site. Five areas inside the 30-km radius are already under Level 3 restrictions, the second highest on a four-notch scale.

(...)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Fukushima effect: Automatic shutdown in all N-plants

Charu Sudan Kasturi, Hindustan Times
New Delhi, April 14, 2011

www.hindustantimes.com/Fukushima-effect-Automatic-shutdown-in-all-N-plants/Article1-685351.aspx

India has decided to arm all its nuclear reactors with automatic shutdown mechanisms that will be triggered at earthquakes much lower in intensity than what they currently work at. The dramatic new plan is a part of the recommendations of an internal review by the Nuclear Power Corporation of India
Limited, which runs the country’s nuclear reactors, in the aftermath of the Fukushima crisis.

“The recommendations, which we have decided to implement, include in-building automatic shutdown in all reactors, triggered at seismic activity significantly lower than what the reactor is designed to take,” NPCIL executive director N Nagaich told Hindustan Times on Thursday. “Safety is our prime concern.”

(...)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Police Found 10 Dead Bodies near Fukushima N-Plant
(2011/04/14-23:48)

jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2011041400977

Fukushima, April 14 (Jiji Press)--Fukushima prefectural police said Thursday they have found 10 dead bodies within 10 kilometers of Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s nuclear power plant at the center of the unfolding nuclear crisis in Japan.
The bodies were found in Namie, a town in the northeastern Japan prefecture that was hit hard by tsunami unleashed by the March 11 massive earthquake.

(...)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
28 Fukushima N-Plant Workers Exposed to Radiation of 100 Millisieverts or More
(2011/04/14-22:43)

jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2011041400945

Fukushima, April 14 (Jiji Press)--A total of 28 workers at a stricken nuclear power station in Fukushima Prefecture, northeastern Japan, have been exposed to cumulative radiation of 100 millisieverts or more, its operator said Thursday.
They have engaged in restoration work at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said.

(...)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Measure to Secure Power Supply Taken at Fukushima N-Plant

jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2011041400739

(...)

For some 50 minutes, workers at the plant were unable to inject water into the reactors to cool them.
The suspension did not lead to any major problems.
Currently, Tohoku Electric supplies electricity to the No. 1 and 2 reactors, and Tokyo Electric to the No. 3 and 4 reactors.
Tokyo Electric is making the two independent supply systems switchable. It plans to finish the work by Tuesday, the officials said.

(2011/04/14-19:01)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Friday, April 15, 2011
S Korea, China, Taiwan Banning Food Imports From Japan

e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110414D14JFA08.htm

SEOUL (Nikkei)--With no end in sight to the crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, Japan's neighbors are increasingly stepping up efforts to curb food imports, both fresh and processed, from parts of Japan.

(...)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
It appears one of our most informative posters Theredneck is still AWOL from our thread. I as well as many others have greatly appreciated his knowledge of this situation and input on it . I pray all is well with you and yours (as I know many of us do) and hope to hear from you again soon.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
“Material leaking from the reactor’s pressure vessel …”

reply to post by Destinyone

I have read, then reread Des’s post, particularly the following paragraph. Then I went to the news source and it is the same as what Des posted. I just had to check. This part of the article does appear to be about Reactor No. 4

Radiation surges above 4's fuel pool

"It's quite an amount," figured Hidehiko Nishiyama, a spokesman for the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency. Tokyo Electric Power Co. was unsure whether the surge in radiation was being caused by the spent fuel rods or radioactive material leaking from the reactor's pressure vessel.

Bolding and emphasis mine.

Haven’t we been told Reactor No. 4 was out of service, empty, being maintained, not working?

All the fuel was out of the reactor pressure vessel, right?

Therefore there should NOT be radioactive material potentially leaking from the vessel, but the report suggests there MIGHT be radioactive material somewhere in the vessel.

Is TEPCO unsure about the ‘real’ status of No.4 and what was, or is now, in the reactor vessel? Shards and powder from the explosions and disintegrating buildings to which water leaking from the damaged fuel storage pool oozed into the vessel and is now resulting in leakium

If radioactive material is potentially leaking from the vessel in quantities significant enough to result in a surge in radiation, something is not computing.

Am I reading the article correctly?

Maybe I have my reactors confused … and No.4 is not the empty one?

PS. Somebody did suggest that maybe No. 4 was in the process of being reloaded but this has not been substantiated.

new topics

top topics

<< 708  709  710    712  713  714 >>

join