It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 699.htm
<< 696  697  698    700  701  702 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

More on the # 4 reactor...

The operator of Japan's tsunami-flooded nuclear power complex was seeking ways Thursday to pull damaged spent fuel rods out of a storage pool for one of the plant's reactors, citing surging radiation and elevated temperatures as worrisome signs.........

......The issue appeared most urgent at the No. 4 reactor, which was shut down for maintenance at the time of the tsunami, with all the spent fuel rods moved from its core. Company officials said they were considering ways to remove the fuel rods for permanent storage, but must first devise ways to reduce radiation leaking from the pool.

www.google.com...

edit on 13-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

10 Bar = 145.038 PSI.

Given the massive size of these vessels, that is a hell of a lot of pressure. Especially if it is water pressure.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

I think part of the trouble has been...we are getting rather good at tearing to the truth of what info we get we have learned the Fu' of Tepco press corps.
and 2 they are not giving us much to work with...seems like the only thing they can contain is info..

and that being said..perhaps the lack of any real info has lead to a few people going off in left field a bit...

I have tried to refrain from bashing anyone (except Tepco)....but If I have offended you or anyone else..I am sorry

don't worry...something will pop soon and we will be right back on track...I actually think we have done really well in keeping it far more civil than many threads here.....let alone 700 page ones...

Remember back in the old days when the MODS used to come in and warn us

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

10 Bar = 145.038 PSI. Given the massive size of these vessels, that is a hell of a lot of pressure. Especially if it is water pressure.

looking for my specs now...
edit on 13-4-2011 by okiecowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Nice slide show Okie. That has a lot of work put into it. I feel TEPCO has any videos/photos locked down tight. . They are tighter than a mouse's arse in winter, with info on R4.

Des

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Another

M 4.9, eastern Honshu, Japan
37.011°N 140.961°E

Thursday, April 14, 2011 03:08:59 UTC
Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:08:59 PM at epicenter

Depth: 25.90 km (16.09 mi)

Posted on 14 April 2011 | 3:08 am

Des

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

.seems like the only thing they can contain is info..

That just about says it all. I think Tepco needs to put that on their company logo.

link   
reply to post by Silverlok

ok thanks
That was me trying to tie in the truck that is sitting there..with the dead workers and the fuel that should not be in a reactor....

link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy

10 Bar = 145.038 PSI. Given the massive size of these vessels, that is a hell of a lot of pressure. Especially if it is water pressure.

looking for my specs now...but I think the danger area is at 7 bars......(don't hold me to that yet)

reactor design is 4 bar the threshold for error is almost zero

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Currently at more than double the pressure it was designed for. Not good.
edit on 13-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: typo

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

looking for my specs now...but I think the danger area is at 7 bars......(don't hold me to that yet)

reactor design is 4 bar the threshold for error is almost zero

If that is the case then they need to either vent that pressure off somehow, or run like hell, it's going to blow!

Something that big with that kind of pressure, if it ruptures it will be like a massive bomb.

Look what happens when the fuselage, or cabin of a pressurized aircraft ruptures with only millibars of pressure inside.

Vent, or evacuate... seems like their only options.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by someoneinnyc
I'm a little confused: what is the difference between the spent fuel not being covered (just burning off into the air) vs a fire? I thought that the spent fuel would just melt, not catch fire.

Not fire as you see when wood burns... imagine instead a sparkler (fireworks) When the fuel heats up and is dry, the zirconium cladding reacts with oxygen (burns)

Here is some zirconium lathe shavings burning

For more details on the process..

zirconium cladding fire
www.nap.edu...

Thanks to this thread and the info provided here, I've been able to convince my sister in Las Vegas to stock up on baby formula now. Though, I wonder if it makes any difference to the background rads in that city. My other sister (who was born there and grew up there) had her thyroid removed at age 10 after abnormalities were discovered.

I live in Vegas and I love my milk...
It seems its an issue in Hawaii, but barely noticeable here in Vegas

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Yes, people are becoming more aware,and they will talk about the nuclear disaster. But I have noticed most people here will not voluntarily start talking about it, almost as if it's becoming a taboo subject.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aponi
BTW We really need a stinking fish emote.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

if they are telling the truth , for a tight lipped org they have gotten awfully chatty all of a sudden...but...

mark one reactors are know to start , malfunctioning, from cap casket venting at about 71psi .... it's a good bet that gasket was gone weeks ago...

edit on 13-4-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

10 Bar = 145.038 PSI.

Given the massive size of these vessels, that is a hell of a lot of pressure. Especially if it is water pressure.

Found this graph on the same site, and another one listed below first one. Maybe you can make heads or tails of them.

And numbers chart.

Des

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
well since Zorgon said we been working for stars..I figured ya'll needed some new pics to look at to make up for the low pay..

inside reactor 4...dated 3-26-11

source

At least i don't think these have been posted....

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I wonder what this is on the outside of the building ?? looks about the same temp doesn't it?

The radioactive water in the pits?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing me up to speed silverlok, what you said makes sense. Here's some news from onagawa.

---

Onagawa nuke plant suffers jolt greater than designed in aftershock

TOKYO, April 14, Kyodo

The No. 1 reactor of the Onagawa nuclear power plant in Miyagi Prefecture on April 7 sustained a jolt greater than what it was designed to withstand during a strong aftershock from the powerful March 11 earthquake, according to nuclear safety officials.

The finding raises further doubts about the viability of the assumed quake resistance at the Tohoku Electric Power Co. complex, even though it had been shut down safely after the deadly quake last month.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency has instructed the regional utility serving northeastern Japan to analyze the impact of such a jolt on key facilities at the three-reactor plant, the officials said.

During the aftershock, the biggest after March 11, measuring upper 6 in Miyagi on the Japanese seismic scale of 7, a seismometer at the building housing the No. 1 reactor registered a quake acceleration of 476.3 gal vertically, against the 451 gal assumed for the facility.

The assumed level of the jolt ''shouldn't be exceeded in principle,'' said agency spokesman Hidehiko Nishiyama. ''While I intuitively think that if it is this much, it shouldn't be a cause for concern, but we still have to evaluate its safety.''

None of the reactors at the plant was operating when the aftershock struck. But as a result of the temblor, the plant lost part of its external power supply and saw a cooling system for pools storing spent nuclear fuel briefly lose power.

Both the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture and the Onagawa plant were hit by the March 11 quake and tsunami, but the latter has been largely under control with its key cooling functions kept alive.

english.kyodonews.jp
edit on 4/13/2011 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlaskanDad

Originally posted by Tworide

That's reactor 4 with the poolium dreadlocks, no? The building labeled as the common pool is intact, it looks like it has 12 large HVAC units on the perimeter of the roof.. I've heard of cooling pool 7 mentioned, even in today's release from Arnie. But haven't seen a photo that IDs that building as cooling pool 7, other than this one.

Thanks Tworide,
I thought fubarium Falls was @ reactor number four but there has been so many pics and great information and discussion on this thread that it can overwhelm the mind with details, but hey it is almost a 700 page thread, that is read from morning coffee until a before bed catch up.

Originally posted by Tworide
It looks like some Russians have placed IDs on two other buildings, in Russian.
The weapons labs???

[jk] A Russian weapons lab in a failing Japanese nuclear plant...

as the plot thickens! [/jk] :-)

Translated the Russian tags to "Nuclear waste processing facility" and "Solid nuclear waste storage" , that building had other notes in Russian that clarified it as "Cold spent fuel rod storage". The building identified as the storage building is not the cask building. These two buildings are located between reactors 1 and 5.
It seems there is a lot more nuclear materials at this power plant than just the reactors, cooling pools and cask building.
Wikimapia
[sh] It was the Russians noting where the hidden lab was...[/sh]

edit on 13-4-2011 by Tworide because: added link

edit on 13-4-2011 by Tworide because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 696  697  698    700  701  702 >>

join