It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 686.htm
<< 683  684  685    687  688  689 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
Veggies grown 30 miles from Fukushima plant are safe? Oh really?

Sure it is
You can wolf down a half dozen of those berries and suffer 'no immediate risk to health" Bet he didn't take any home with him though

And afterwards, take a dip in the World Famous Radium Hotsprings.

In a few short years, that corium will be a world-class tourist destination:

The spring water of Masutomi Onsen is said to have the highest radium content in the world.

edit on 12-4-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Some newly-released Japan tsunami videos-

Another close-call Japanese tsunami video:

link

Now that was close!

Another close escape:

link

Barely got out of there. Those waves were massive in the beginning of the video.

And this one:

link

Wiped clean away. Very sad.

And finally this one:

link

The black and white cars in the beginning of the video at around 00:13 get trapped by the waves. Sadly, I doubt they got out alive.
edit on 12-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

hey ghost any chance you can translate any of this

like maybe what the paper says the guy gets at the "checkpoint??"

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy

hey ghost any chance you can translate any of this

like maybe what the paper says the guy gets at the "checkpoint??"

I'll do my best to translate. I think the guy at the checkpoint said that it was ok to get within 10 km of the plant, but he was really pushing his luck. It appears to be a 30 km checkpoint.

Japanese can sometimes be difficult to read.
I think the paper they gave him was basically a warning saying they are only aloud to only get as close as 20 km to the plant due to the nuclear accident, and to not get any closer.
edit on 13-4-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
Sorry, I don't understand all these posts about tunneling and drilling and such to get the corium OUT. To where? Where are you going to put this stuff that it isn't going to melt through and do the same thing in a different place. You can't handle it, it's too radioactive (it will kill in seconds, if not instantly), it will melt through all metals, it will mess up electronic circuitry. It will melt through rock. Pardon me, but what am I missing here?

There are a few tons of this stuff now happily burring down through the bedrock on it's way to however far it will go. Believe me, it's the best place for it, we don't want to be touching it. Best chance is to try to cool it where it is, hense all the radioactive water, but at this point likely only increase the radioactive steam exposures.
edit on 12-4-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

if you cannot kill the entire army, kill the soldiers one by one.
the corium is no more dangerous than fuel rods, only melted and super-heated.
so, if one can retrive an amout of a fuel rod, you can let it cool down and store it as any other fuel rod.
if you want, divide it up into pellets and mix 100 pellets with enough sand, thereby stopping chain reaction and reaching subcriticality.

just try for once to look at it without fear, as an engineer who has a difficult task.
it is difficult, admittedly, but I think it worth a try, because all else will be much more worse.
because of the quantity involved (we speak of tons of corium), no quick solutions like putting much sand on top will work. The sand will melt and create a glass coating, and the big blob beneath will super-heat and explode.
and that is what has to be avoided.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Hi all

To Medieval Ghost: Someone here just started a thread saying there was another big earthquake 4/13 (Japan date) and that it's not being reported. Have you had any more earthquake activity today?

Here's the link with a vid: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
UPDATES

STRONTIUM 90

Radioactive strontium detected outside 30km zone

The four red dots are other areas where Strontium 90 was detected

Japan's science ministry says small amounts of radioactive strontium have been detected in soil and plants outside the 30-kilometer zone around the Fukushima plant where the government has advised people to stay indoors. Strontium could cause cancer.

The ministry has been monitoring the level of radioactive substances in soil and weeds in Fukushima Prefecture.

It found 3.3 to 32 becquerels of strontium 90 per kilogram of soil in samples taken from 3 locations in Namie Town and Iitate Village, 30 kilometers from the plant.

An extremely small amount of strontium was also found in plants taken from Motomiya City, Ono Town and Otama and Nishigo Villages. The areas are 40 to 80 kilometers from the Fukushima plant.

Strontium 90 has a half-life of 29 years. It tends to accumulate in bones and could cause cancer.

The ministry says the amount found is extremely low and will not have a negative health impact even if a person ingested one kilogram of the contaminated soil.

The samples were taken between March 16 and 19.

A nuclear engineering expert says the fact that strontium was detected proves that the fuel in the reactor or the spent fuel in the pool was damaged at that point. He says a hydrogen explosion occurred at Reactor 3 around that time and the particles may have been carried by winds.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 07:52 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

"The ministry says the amount found is extremely low and will not have a negative health impact even if a person ingested one kilogram of the contaminated soil."

I want to see Edano wolf down one kilo of that soil to prove to me its safe..

What a bunch of idiots
edit on 13-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by maria81

I'm not afraid, just realistic.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
UPDATES

US Pacific Commander Admiral Robert Willard says that they have been taking pictures and radiation readings around the area DAILY and making that data available to Japan

Using one of THESE

edit on 13-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
UPDATES

Edano says he sees NO REASON to change the current management of the Fukushima issue...

China wants full disclosure and South Korean president is 'disappointed' that the situation is not under control

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

Someone has got something wrong... nothing over a 6 showing on Iris or USGS

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

China made a polite rumble a few days ago.

Looks like they are becoming a bit more forceful, not that I blame them. One good, sustained wind shift and they get early Christmas presents.

Millions of 'em.

ETA: Regarding the possible earthquake. Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I check the RSOE site regularly (I'm in L.A., so I gotta see if it's going to turn into an underwater theme park) and didn't see any real activity today. Baja California and areas north of San Francisco have been a bit more active, but still 3.5 or less.
edit on 13-4-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
not sure if this was posted and I missed it...
Latest close up footage from the little drone

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Thank you very much...I owe ya a beer sometime

Kinda shocking to me that it is so lax...I mean they are really not trying to hard to keep people out are they?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
TEPCO LIVE INTERIEW

NOW!!!

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
UPDATES

Edano says he sees NO REASON to change the current management of the Fukushima issue...

Well why? Nothing has worked so far so let's keep doing nothing well rather than change course at this late time...

so I guess that means we don't get to see the pics the Pacific fleet has been taking( although for a moment it was really nice to have that ask and ye shall receive feeling , however fleeting)..well I am sure that bodes well too , after all they did apologize and all so I am sure they don't need to do anything else...

except keep polluting the ocean
and air
and soil
with no game plan involving an exit strategy, what exactly are the qualifications for CEO or government office in Japan? probably quite like here I guess

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy

Thank you very much...I owe ya a beer sometime

Kinda shocking to me that it is so lax...I mean they are really not trying to hard to keep people out are they?

Check my post again. I made a few changes.

Yes, it is lax. But that is the culture. Anything but a police state.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Not much meat in the TEPCO press release

Lots of apology and promise to pay compensation to those effected and a request for people to conserve power so there won't be as many rotating blackouts during this summer

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by maria81 The sand will melt and create a glass coating, and the big blob beneath will super-heat and explode.and that is what has to be avoided.

Actually that is not what happened at Chernobyl. The sand mixed with the fuel and it was enough to cool it and stop it from traveling further.

The masses are still there though, and the glass is breaking down and may once again let water at the fuel... but the sand stopped it. They didn't know that until they went back in to see why readings had changed

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thank you (and everyone) for giving those updates every night....
I wish I could do more than give ya a star....

top topics

<< 683  684  685    687  688  689 >>

join