It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 68.htm
<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Anyone out there have any good sites for Russian news?
Any sites people?

if you read Russian, you may look at gazeta.ru. Also en.rian.ru...

I may help with translations, if needed
edit on 14-3-2011 by AstraCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by LilFox

Where are you ?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Two Useful Docs posted by some one commenting on the linked press conference.

www.issres.net...

www.oecd-nea.org...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
This thread seems to be where the calmer heads are at. I want to thank Redneck for the updates and info, you have filled a lot of the gaps in my knowledge for me. Unfortunately the situation will likely unfold as I had feared in my worst case. I like being proactive in matters, so if there is anyone reading this on the west coast and you have the means and desire to take a little getaway vacation to the beautiful far Midwest for a short time let me know.

Better safe than sorry.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Taken from page one of the second document I posted above......

During severe accidents (SA) in light water reactors, hydrogen is generated by the exothermal
oxidation of the fuel claddings, hot metallic components and after failure of the reactor pressure vessel
and melt relocation to the reactor pit due to decomposition of concrete as well. These processes
produce hydrogen with such high rates and for a long term in the course of a SA that the local
volumetric concentrations inside the containment exceed the lower flammability limit. Both major
nuclear accidents of Three Mile Island (TMI) in 1979 and Chernobyl in 1986 resulted in a world-wide
investigation of SA and the hydrogen risk.

Sound familiar? I think melt down has already happened.
edit on 14/3/2011 by who-me? because: put a t instead of a d

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This is rapidly becoming a nightmare you can't wake-up from. One goes to bed after spending a day of digesting all of this catastrophic news hoping for better news tomorrow, and it only seems to get worse by the day. It seems the Japanese engineers are being attacked on all fronts, and are losing the line?

From multiple emergencies, two mysterious explosions near core complexes, partial to full meltdowns, broken cooling systems, attempts to smother the hot molten mass with sea water, US helicopter crews picking radiation readings some 60 miles from the Fukushimi reactor, and the reports of possible harmful radiation leaks. This my friends is shaping to being the real deal. I hope the containment shells were not damaged in the quake, because I think all human attempts to cool the reactor are failing miserably.

Hopefully, today will bring more promising news than yesterday, because this is getting very troubling. I am not one to panic, and have lately taken to a more calm approach to this matter, but that is slowly dissipating with all of the negative reports coming out about the situation at Fukushimi. I would like to give a shout out to everyone for staying on top of this, and especially ATS moderator, The Redneck for his extremely knowledgeable incite about this incident and the ins and outs of the nuclear power industry.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by LilFox
Well, my radiation alarm went off twice last nite and is above the norm for this area.. I can also say that another alarm located elsewhere on a building air circulation system also went off.

Its great you are prepared.

What do you do about it?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
What is happening inside Japan's nuclear reactors?
www.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Here is another tidbit by a Canadian Engineer about the possible radiation leaks. I say possible because information coming out seems to be difficult to confirm or substantiate.

Battle on to contain Japan’s nuclear threat

Canadian nuclear engineer John Luxat of McMaster University said the reported levels appeared to be well below maximum exposures set by the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Should the steel containment walls be breached in an explosion, the radioactive gases could spread for hundreds of kilometres – although the worst contamination would occur within a 50-kilometre radius. Officials insist the steel containment chambers were built to withstand an explosion in the reactor core.

I don't know if that is reassuring for anyone, but any potential positive news is better than nothing. I wish the information coming out about this was not in a vacuum. It seems a lot of unreliable news is coming out about this, and no fact checking or corroboration seems to be taking place by those in the MSM media. Only adding to the confusion and paranoia about this. Its like the general is given one big puzzle with some pieces fitting into place while others not, and we are not be given a general picture of what the puzzle looks like when completed. Even the perceived outcomes of this event, good or bad, seems shoddy and highly theorized? For what its worth, just another tidbit about this unfolding catastrophe. Take it with a grain of salt if you will, and add it to the other puzzle pieces.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
TEPCO just published new press-release

Press Release (Mar 14,2011) White smoke around the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit 3 (3rd release)
At approximately 11:01am, an explosion followed by white smoke occurred at the reactor building of Unit 3. It was believed to be a hydrogen explosion. According to the parameter, it is believed that the reactor containment vessel remains intact. However, the status of the plant and the impact of radioactive materials to the outside environment are presently under investigation. (previously announced) As of 1:30 pm, 4 TEPCO employees and 3 workers from other companies have sustained injuries (all of them are conscious). 3 ambulances are in operation to care for them and 2 have already dispatched the casualties to the hospital. As of 0:30 pm, the measured value of radiation dose near MP6 was 4μSv/h. The increase of the radiation dose cannot be confirmed at this time. As of 0:30 pm, the measured value of radiation dose at the monitoring post in Fukushima Daini Power Station located approximately 10 km south of Fukushima Daiichi Power Station remains at the same level. In light of the incidents that have occurred at Units 1 and 3, we are considering applying prevention measures to the wall of the reactor building to ventilate the hydrogen gas contained in Unit 2. TEPCO continues to take all measures to restore the safety and security of the site and are monitoring the site's immediate surroundings.

www.tepco.co.jp...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I have several locations I can evac to if needed, or drive inland, far inland, to a much windier northern area away from the southern winds. I have dosimeters to count dosage so I know where the limits are.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If this has been posted already please ignor. I was reading in a CNN article BEFORE the second explosion that stated that 1 in 5 or 20% of the people tested 10 miles away from the intitial blast for radiation have been refered to hospitals for further testing, make of it what you will. Hmm just went and found the article in my history so I could direct anyone interested to the part I was qouting and that info is missing. I wonder if it was originally a misprint or it was scrubbed to slow the panic, maybe it is archived already? personally I find it worrisome. The linked article contained the info I qouted when I read it around 9:00 est. last night. One more thing to add they said they had tested 1000 people. That sounds like a pretty representitive sample to make some preliminary deductions from, if true. For what it's worth this is the article that contained the info last night.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by soundguy

I've tried searching google for such information.
here's what I've got -

How dangerous is the radiation released so far?
Japanese and Australian authorities believe any serious danger is confined to within a 20-kilometre radius of the reactors. People close to the Daiichi plant were exposed to radiation about twice Japan's legal limit, and about 200 have been taken to hospital after being exposed. Some radiation has been detected 60 kilometres from the plant, but it is not at a dangerous level. Small amounts of radioactive cesium-137 have been released. This can stay active in the environment for 30 years, and can accumulate in the food chain, making it highly dangerous.

What precautions are people taking?
People close to the reactors have been issued with potassium iodine tablets, which stop the thyroid gland absorbing dangerous iodine-131, which causes cancer if it lodges inside the body. About 260,000 people have been evacuated from the vicinity of the damaged reactors, and people near the edge of the 20-kilometre zone have been warned to stay indoors with the windows shut, to stop dust or smoke particles that could carry radioactive isotopes from the hydrogen explosions from entering their homes.

www.smh.com.au...

I have a feeling that I did read something close to your missing info yesterday on reuters

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
1422: Japanese engineer Masashi Goto, who helped design the containment vessel for Fukushima's reactor core, says the design was not enough to withstand earthquakes or tsunamis and the plant's builders, Toshiba, knew this. More on Mr Goto's remarks to follow.

1426: Mr Goto says his greatest fear is that blasts at number 3 and number 1 reactors may have damaged the steel casing of the containment vessel designed to stop radioactive material escaping into the atmosphere. More to follow.

1431: More from Japanese nuclear engineer Masashi Goto: He say that as the reactor uses mox (mixed oxide) fuel, the melting point is lower than that of conventional fuel. Should a meltdown and an explosion occur, he says, plutonium could be spread over an area up to twice as far as estimated for a conventional nuclear fuel explosion. The next 24 hours are critical, he says.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by scoobyrob
1422: Japanese engineer Masashi Goto, who helped design the containment vessel for Fukushima's reactor core, says the design was not enough to withstand earthquakes or tsunamis and the plant's builders, Toshiba, knew this. More on Mr Goto's remarks to follow.

1426: Mr Goto says his greatest fear is that blasts at number 3 and number 1 reactors may have damaged the steel casing of the containment vessel designed to stop radioactive material escaping into the atmosphere. More to follow.

1431: More from Japanese nuclear engineer Masashi Goto: He say that as the reactor uses mox (mixed oxide) fuel, the melting point is lower than that of conventional fuel. Should a meltdown and an explosion occur, he says, plutonium could be spread over an area up to twice as far as estimated for a conventional nuclear fuel explosion. The next 24 hours are critical, he says.

www.bbc.co.uk...
Nice work! Thanks to you and also to AstraCat for keeping up with this at the moment.

Mr Goto's info seems to be a little more in line with the truth, especially coming from the man that helped to design the thing!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I heard this from contacts in Japan. The fuel rods in the #2 reactor are almost fully exposed to air. They are expecting another hydrogen explosion in reactor #2. This should happen today. Partial meltdown is already occurring.

The radiation being released is higher than being reported so not to panic the public. This will increase if/when the #2 bulding explodes.

The situation is dire. They will be expanding the evacuation zone again to get people away from the radiation.
They are running out of options.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
here is a page with Q&A about meltdown at fukushima nuclear plant....

some people may find it benificial to them

Q&A page.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
There is actually some 'better' news on this thread regarding the radiation and American servicemen...

ATS Thread

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
just herd on sky news live,

it appears the fuel rods at all three reactors at fukushima pland ARE melting.

i have no link for this as it came up as breaking news and the reporter announced it. but said all three are melting....

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Lovely stuff too, this Plutonium.

ìPlutonium is an alpha-emitting transuranic element. Of the possible routes of entry into the body, the most common and most dangerous is through inhalation. In addition to irradiating lung tissue, plutonium is gradually transported to other organs, in particular, liver and bone. Once an alpha-emitter is inside the body, its radiation can cause genetic mutations and cancer with greater potency than gamma or beta radiation of the same energy. ... Experiments with beagle dogs suggest that about 27 millionths of a gram of insoluble plutonium would be sufficient to cause lung cancer in an adult human being with virtual certainty, with significant risks probably associated with far lower doses.î Note: 100 million micrograms is equivalent to 100 grams.

Found from a paper describing the transportation of MOX by air and the possible risks thereof, published by Transport Canada, the Atomic Energy Control Board, the U.S. Department of Energy and others

www.cnp.ca...

Nice!

new topics

top topics

<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join