It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 658.htm
<< 655  656  657    659  660  661 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by arufon
is TEPCO (PETCO sounds more like it) responsable for reimbursing residents for the 30 km exclusion zone?

30 km (or approx 20 mile) radius would encompass about 157 sq miles of real estate.
let's see... at $200k (US) per acre * 157 sq miles * 640 acres/sq mile = $20 billion.
at $1 million per acre, the cost would be closer to $100 billion

no wonder they are loathe to increase the exclusion zone

edit on 11-4-2011 by arufon because: (no reason given)

I've been keeping up on the "legal" ramifications of this disaster...it appears, TEPCO is exempt from liability, due to a loophole in the 1961 Act on Compensation for Nuclear Damage, it also makes General Electric liability free...

Nice huh...

Japanese government prepares to protect TEPCO from liability
By Mike Head
25 March 2011

As the radioactive contamination from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant spreads to Tokyo’s water supply, as well as milk and vegetables from numerous prefectures and fishing areas off Japan’s eastern coast, the Japanese government is moving to shield the plant’s owner, the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), from liability.

Section 3 of that legislation states that the operator of a nuclear facility will not be responsible for any damage caused by a reactor if it was due to “a grave natural disaster of an exceptional character or by an insurrection”.

However, TEPCO’s commercial insurers have already cited the Nuclear Damage Act, which was amended last year, to signal to international financial markets that TEPCO is unlikely to need to make any insurance claims.

www.wsws.org...

Des

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Just a thought, some time ago CNN had an expert on talking about the spent fuel rods being exposed, and said that the gamma radiation would be extreme coming from them, lethal dose if anyone were to get too close, since the spent fuel is contained in the top and the tops are blown off then that drone taking these pictures could have been exposed to extreme gamma rays, and that may be why these images are such poor quality.

The materials in the damaged tops could contain scattered spent fuel rods and pellets.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Cooking, processing may reduce radioactive materials in food

...it is best to thoroughly wash polluted vegetables in water-filled bowls or basins. Next, boil the vegetables and discard the hot water afterward. This can remove 40 percent to 80 percent of radioactive contaminants.

Whilst this statement may be technically correct (or not) - who'd be happy eating veggies that contains the remaining 20-60% of radiation pollution?

Although there is little hard data about the percentage of radioactive substances that can be removed

Perhaps they should consider getting some hard data before advising anyone to eat contaminated vegetables.

Yomiuri

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by Wertwog

Originally posted by Aponi
Some drone photos from the Daiichi plant released

That drone either has the crappiest camera possible on it, or the radiation really messed with resolution and picture quality, or TEPCO only released the lowest quality photos on purpose. Which is it? Who knows. However, despite the awesomeness of the many people analyzing photos on this board, I think you're going to have your work cut out for you learning anything new from these pics. Good luck though! You can do it!

One thing I can tell you is that is not normal low resolution pixelization or artifacting. I would strongly suggest this image has been degraded at the source, probably through radiation and heat affecting the camera. Normally you would see a regularity of pixel alignments as the camera software tries to apply algorithms to compensate and find high contrast edges. Camera's also adjust for movement in very predictable ways. The artificating and "slide" in this image is too organic and random for it to me to think it is normal down-rez. The degradation is quite extreme so I would guess that the rad levels are extremely high to be effecting a high-resolution camera this dramatically.
edit on 11-4-2011 by Wertwog because: spelling mistake

Wert, (or anyone else), hate to ask this, but here goes. In the photo at link, what are those bundled rod looking thingies off to the right...It is the very large cylindrical thing, looks like a bunch of long pipes/rods strapped together. Please tell me it's something somewhat innocuous in the overall creep factor. TIA..

Des

Sorry quoting myself here...BUT, those thingies I'm asking about are HUGE in comparison to size of cars and trucks on the other side of the road...could those be pipes, photo shopped in, to make it look like work is happening....I mean I feel stupid right now, but that photo does not add up....KWIM?

Des

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
There were private drone pics released previously that had much better quality, I think last week. They were posted here.

I guess the gamma radiation must have increased drastically, although we don't know the distance from the plant when they took either set of photos, that would have an effect on picture quality due to radiation.

It is surprising to me how much #3 has deteriorated, seems to be crumbling in on itself.

link   

Originally posted by buni11687
They say the levels are below dangerous levels so far.

I love this sort of framing, along with the "no immediate health effects" one.

Below dangerous levels. But no indication what the new normal for the next 30 years means.

Like - If you live in Tokyo, you'll be exposed to levels like being x-rayed every week. If you live in North America, you're new "normal" is being x-rayed 4 times a year for the next 30 years. That sort of thing.

It won't kill you....NOW. It won't hurt you today. Of course, dying slowly of cancer from the continuous exposure over a 3 decades might make you wish it had.
edit on 2011/4/11 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by ikonoklast

Thanks very much for your reply and link! :-)
5 stage RO filter should be here today.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog

Originally posted by Aponi
Some drone photos from the Daiichi plant released

That drone either has the crappiest camera possible on it, or the radiation really messed with resolution and picture quality, or TEPCO only released the lowest quality photos on purpose. Which is it? Who knows. However, despite the awesomeness of the many people analyzing photos on this board, I think you're going to have your work cut out for you learning anything new from these pics. Good luck though! You can do it!

One thing I can tell you is that is not normal low resolution pixelization or artifacting. I would strongly suggest this image has been degraded at the source, probably through radiation and heat affecting the camera. Normally you would see a regularity of pixel alignments as the camera software tries to apply algorithms to compensate and find high contrast edges. Camera's also adjust for movement in very predictable ways. The artificating and "slide" in this image is too organic and random for it to me to think it is normal down-rez. The degradation is quite extreme so I would guess that the rad levels are extremely high to be effecting a high-resolution camera this dramatically.
edit on 11-4-2011 by Wertwog because: spelling mistake

Wert, (or anyone else), hate to ask this, but here goes. In the photo at link, what are those bundled rod looking thingies off to the right...It is the very large cylindrical thing, looks like a bunch of long pipes/rods strapped together. Please tell me it's something somewhat innocuous in the overall creep factor. TIA..

Des

Sorry quoting myself here...BUT, those thingies I'm asking about are HUGE in comparison to size of cars and trucks on the other side of the road...could those be pipes, photo shopped in, to make it look like work is happening....I mean I feel stupid right now, but that photo does not add up....KWIM?

Des

Don't blame you Des, I was just about to make a post on this. This gives me the hebeegeebies. I'm not a nuke expert, however, that object appears to be casting off a great deal of black/grey smoke. It is much larger than an oil tanker on fire which was my first thought. In relation to the cars it's just too big. The tubes look too large to be the rods themselves as I understand the rods are smaller circumference, and the tubes on that object appear hollow (but it is hard to tell). I don't know how they would have configured the reactor core, or if this is several cores bundled together. If this is unit #4, which it appears to be, we may be seeing the rod assembly they were transferring but I don't know if this is the right size and configuration.

We need a nuke expert to tell us what that is but I don't have a good feeling about it. On fire = no good and may account for the high rad levels effecting the camera in this area.

The other issue is, why haven't we seen this object before?
edit on 11-4-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

You see smoke?

I thought it was trees.

Just shows how useless these poor quality images are... Those pipes? if that is what they are seem to run all the way across and to the top of the image... They are very long.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
reply to post by Wertwog

You see smoke?

I thought it was trees.

Just shows how useless these poor quality images are... Those pipes? if that is what they are seem to run all the way across and to the top of the image... They are very long.

You are right FF, there is either another one of these at the top of the image or it is one continuous object. I think it is two objects. The "smoke" could be trees, it is very difficult to tell.
edit on 11-4-2011 by Wertwog because: added image

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

TY so very much Wert. You have confirmed that mine eyes have not gone totally nuts. When I first saw the photo, something kept saying...like Sesame Street....what's wrong with this picture... :

I still will leave in my personal equation, TEPCO has put out this photo, with some extreme manipulation, by a person who hasn't a clue, on perspective in objects placed in photo shop...Why do I keep cutting them slack

FWIW...I too, see billowing black smoke...

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
reply to post by Wertwog

You see smoke?

I thought it was trees.

would trees be in bloom (having leaves) now?
seems a bit early for that.

in any case, methinx the proximity of trees to an exploded structure
emitting copious quantity of radiation would not be conducive to tree health.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

The image hasn't been manipulated. The pixel alignments are perfect and there are no other markers that this is a fake, either that or they are VERY VERY good, but I know what I'm looking for and it ain't here. I would say this is a true image of 2 objects we haven't seen before in a very poor quality image. What they are I'm not sure and I don't like it

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlaskanDad
reply to post by ikonoklast

Thanks very much for your reply and link! :-)
5 stage RO filter should be here today.

You're welcome. I need to order replacement filters myself, as it's been a while since ours were replaced and I'm not sure the water will be filtered enough for the new "normal."

Unfortunately, this just covers drinking water. Now we have to wonder about the rest of the food chain... My wife recently became a distributor for packaged food for storage. Now I have to tell her she was right and we should have stocked up more...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Oooookay....so much for digital manipulation , Thanks again Wert. Off to see if I can find a similar object, for comparison.

I don't like it either....kinda ominous.

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: sp

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

I have not the foggiest idea what that object is or why we haven't seen it before (and am almost afraid to know), but it looks to be one long continuous object to me. If you were to draw a straight line along the edge of each section they appear to match perfectly in one longer continuous line. It seems unlikely to me that such a perfect alignment would happen naturally. Possible though. I think the corner of the building hides the middle part and creates the illusion of 2 objects.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

If you look at all the pics released in that fly over...you can see that all the trees in the area have the same color and effect..so I am pretty sure those are trees....still trying to figure out what the other objects are tho..I know they are not rods tho...size is way to wrong

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Here is one photo of bundled spent fuel rods. I'll find others...

I'm going to hazard a long shot guess here. Could those long pipe structures be, lead pipes manufactured to put a massive amount of spent fuel rod containers in, for moving by ship?

I know sounds crazy...but ,I am not claiming to be sane.

Candu Fuel Rods and Bundles

-Photo courtesy of Robert Del Tredici
www.friendsofbruce.ca...
Candu Fuel Bundle
A fuel bundle contains many processed uranium rods. "Each bundle is about 50 cms long and weighs about 23 kgms... Several thousand of these bundles are required to initially fuel a reactor. After that, several bundles a day, per reactor, are replaced as the reactors operate at full power." *

Once a bundle is "spent" (after 12-18 months in the reactor), it is highly radioactive. The 1978 "Ontario Royal Commission on Electric Power Planning" (aka: "Porter Commission") stated, "The extreme lethality of a freshly removed spent fuel bundle is such that a (unprotected) person standing within a metre of it would die within an hour." For decades, authorities have unsuccessfully tried to identify and secure safe places to permanently store spent fuel. When spent fuel bundles are removed from the reactor, they are placed in water filled pools "to cool and shield them until their radioactivity declines." * After about 10 years, the fuel bundles have cooled sufficiently to be transferred robotically to "high level" dry storage facilities . These temporary storage units are said to have a "design life" of about 50 years, and perhaps longer under favourable conditions. Meanwhile, some of the material inside the containers remains radioactive for thousands and thousands of years.

:
edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

this older photo shows the trees that are close to #1 more clearly if that helps anyone...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Could they be dry cask storage?

And someone just tell me it's not the reactor vessel...
or a full core of several hundred assemblies as they were taken out of #4 more recently and still hotter than others in the spent fuel pool - hence prone to fires.

pic
edit on 11-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 655  656  657    659  660  661 >>

join