It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 649.htm
<< 646  647  648    650  651  652 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

To answer that, I have to explain what enrichment is....

Uranium has two main isotopes, U-238 which is common, and U-235 which is rare. Both are radioactive, in that they decay naturally, but the rare U-235 puts off more highly energetic neutrons when it decays. U-238 will also put these out, but only when initially hit with a high-energy neutron.

Ok thanks for the explanation. From looking at a periodic table of elements I can see uranium exists naturally at 238 atomic weight.

Enriching uranium simply means that you increase the amount of U-235 in it. Typically this is done by use of centrifuges which make the slightly heavier U-238 atoms settle to the 'bottom' of the mixture being enriched, and leave the U-235 atoms in the 'top' layer. The difference in weight of the atoms is so slight that it takes extremely powerful centrifuges a long time to manage this enrichment process, usually operating several times.

Wouldn't u-235 be lighter than 238 thus less radioactive? I thought that heavier elements are normally more radioactive than lighter elements. And plutonium is even heavier at 244! BTW the french have been using thorium at 232 which is safer and recyclable..........

A nuclear bomb is typically enriched over 90%, meaning that the uranium in it is over 90% U-235. A power plant does not use this rich a mixture, and typically is only enriched to a few percent. That is one major reason why it is impossible for a power plant to explode like a nuclear bomb.

Yeah they just melt down aka decay into the enviroment. Only problem is they are decaying out in the open rather than deep in earth and since they are enriched the decay process is more lethal.

The only way to 'de-enrich' uranium is to dilute the U-235 with more U-238... and even that does not remove all the radioactive tendencies of the fuel. The spent fuel rods already have such a low enrichment of U-235 that they cannot be used for power generation any more, but they are still 'hot'.

With all due respect I don't think anyone is interested in the fuel rods continuing to be used for electricity production unless they can be contained and evaluated first, correct? I think the issue is that there is a leak in the wall casings thus all the boron and/or water keeps sipping into the ground, thus polluting the underground water reservior, the oceans, and the fuel rods continue to be exposed.

Why don't they try to seal the casings somehow? Is this part of the conspiracy?

Hope that explains things...

TheRedneck

Yes it was insightful. Please excuse my angry post on the last page but there is too much [snip] going on lately and something ain't right imo.

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 11/4/11 by argentus because: edit profanity

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj

Originally posted by monica86
Look at this image.
They just showed it on NHK.

It didn't look like a simulation, however, the reactors appear covered with fiber...

EDIT: Actually, looking at the other buildings in the plant, it does appear it was a simulation
edit on 10-4-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

This image is a load of cr@p...straight from the editors at NHK ....

Ummm that image is a MODEL of the plants in the NHK newsroom

edit on 10-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
GlobalDirt has posted their ongoing Independent Radiation Survey near Fukushima.

This data was taken by a Global DIRT assessment team within 2km (1.2 miles) of the Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant. Data was collected using a Berkeley Nucleonics Corporation SAM 940 Defender / Revealer. The map below represents only readings which contained isotope levels (about 451 of the 1654 current readings). Be sure to check back as this page will be constantly updated.

Here is the full google map.

Example snapshot I took of one data point

Never heard of them. Looking thru the map now. Wish they had a spreadsheet, and a better explanation of the readings. Maybe someone here could translate some of those numbers?

Their Twitter

Global Dirt members taking measurements. Link from AirLink.org

edit on 4/10/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Someone said this earlier and I didn't see a response, but is oil possibly a lubricant for the earth? It just seems there is a reason for it, and not for our pleasure.

It's always pops in my head that maybe we shouldn't tamper with it

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Wouldn't u-235 be lighter than 238 thus less radioactive?

It is lighter (which is why centrifuges work for enrichment), but it is the stability (or lack of it) in the nucleus that makes an element radioactive, not just its weight. For every element, there is a certain size that forms the most stable nucleus. For most elements, this size means the atom is completely stable, but as the nucleus gets larger (238 parts for U-238), the interactions become more complex. Larger nuclei have a greater chance of being radioactive, but there is much more than just the atomic weight that goes into it.

That is why iodine-131 is reactive, but iodine-127 is stable. The nucleus tends to hold together better when it has 53 protons and 74 neutrons. Add 4 more neutrons into the mix, and it becomes very unstable and decays into xenon-131 (one of the neutrons becomes a proton).

BTW the french have been using thorium at 232 which is safer and recyclable

I have heard a little about that, and thorium may prove to be a better fuel than uranium. I really need to read up on it before I comment too much though.

Only problem is they are decaying out in the open rather than deep in earth and since they are enriched the decay process is more lethal.

Ironically, it seems the best thing TEPCO could come up with was to let it back into the earth. I am pretty sure that all three corium deposits are sitting inside bedrock right now.

But yeah, the enrichment causes it to react faster than it would if left alone, and thus produce more energy faster. That is the only way to efficiently use any similar resource. Think about gasoline... it is a concentration from crude oil. The gasoline isn't altered in any way, it is just separated out in the refinement process. But try filling your car tank with crude oil (actually, no, don't, please) and see how far you get.

All energy methods use concentration. That's the big problem with solar: it is almost impossible to concentrate it.

With all due respect I don't think anyone is interested in the fuel rods continuing to be used for electricity production unless they can be contained and evaluated first, correct?

Ummm... I think you missed my point...

The thing that makes the fuel rods unsuitable for electrical production is the lack of concentration of the U-235 that is in them. That's the point I was making. It's not that we want to reuse the rods, but that we can't reuse them in their present condition.

it would be wonderful if we could, as that would be better than having to let them burn out in a nuclear storage facility somewhere.

I think the issue is that there is a leak in the wall casings thus all the boron and/or water keeps sipping into the ground, thus polluting the underground water reservior, the oceans, and the fuel rods continue to be exposed.

The issue is that the zircaloy cladding (the 'casings') melted into liquid pools along with the fuel. Once the fuel rods become corium, they are useless for anything other than polluting the environment and we have no way to stop them from reacting. Those three balls of corium are still putting out heat and radiation, even though they are sitting inside bedrock, and there is no known power on the planet that can stop them as long as they are in one big blob. A reactor uses rods that absorb the neutrons (control rods) sitting in between the fuel rods to control the reaction. That won't work when the whole mess melts into a puddle.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I was watching the news a little while ago and they are now reporting that Iodine-131 has been found in several Philadelphia reservoirs. We have been told that it isnt anything to be alarmed about but rather aware of. Riiiiiiight. Lucky for me I dont trust the municipal water anyway and choose to get a water delivery. I have many spare gallons at this time and will be doing some supplementing of the bottled type in order to stockpile.

www.myfoxphilly.com...

Here is a link to the full report
www.epa.gov...
edit on 10-4-2011 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Originally posted by makeitso

Ummm...

That shot shows three isotopes present: K-40, I-125, and Pu-239.
  • Potassium-40 is naturally-occurring... it doesn't come from a nuclear fission reaction, so far as I know.

• Iodine-125 does come from a reaction, but in smaller quantities than iodine-131... so why was it detected and no iodine-131?

• Plutonium-239 is also a fission product, produced when U-239 absorbs a neutron and decays into Plutonium via beta decay. There should be a lot more U-238 than Pu-239, but they are showing no U-238 measured...
This is confusing as all get-out. I'm gonna look into that link some more...

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
reply to post by okiecowboy

Why attempt to educate the ineducable?

More resources for the rest of us when things go sideways worse than they have already

(Besides everything that is said on the internet is true- especially Google search results!)

Oh, but in his defence, he did back that up with, "the GOVERNMENT says: ..."

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

That's the levels of radiation in the milk they tested.
NOT in the milk in your Fridge!!!!

Please realize the complexity of the situation.

You cannot test 50 jugs of milk and "know" the content of the 5 billion jugs of milk you didn't test.

I imagine they test the milk by the batch as opposed to after it's been bottled.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
GlobalDirt has posted their ongoing Independent Radiation Survey near Fukushima.

This data was taken by a Global DIRT assessment team within 2km (1.2 miles) of the Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant. Data was collected using a Berkeley Nucleonics Corporation SAM 940 Defender / Revealer. The map below represents only readings which contained isotope levels (about 451 of the 1654 current readings). Be sure to check back as this page will be constantly updated.

Here is the full google map.

Example snapshot I took of one data point

Never heard of them. Looking thru the map now. Wish they had a spreadsheet, and a better explanation of the readings. Maybe someone here could translate some of those numbers?

I'm glad to see someone besides Tepco out there taking measurements! But they need to have more detail bout the measurements.

Here it goes,
K=Potassium
Co=Cobalt
Ga=Gallium
Tc=Technetium
I=Iodine
Ba=Barium
Cs=Cesium
Ir=Iridium (looking for meteors/comets???)
Ti=Titanium
Ra=Radium
Th=Thalium
U=Uranium
Pu=Plutonium
Am=Americium

The number after the element is the atomic weight of the specific isotope they looked for.
The reading is the level they found, but didn't specify to what standard, i.e. sieverts, rems, curies , lbs, megwatts, whatever
CPS is counts per second, but again they didn't specify alfa, gamma or neutron.
No indication of a particular measurement protocol either.
We might have a case of a highly sophisticated instrument in the hands of amateurs.

edit on 10-4-2011 by Tworide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Whew, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one confused by their readings.

Thanks guys.
I looked for a better explanation of the readings at the link provided for the detector.
Their technical specifications info page didn't seem to specify the technical info enough for me to decipher the readings.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by TriForce

IQ is a number (and I actually have no idea what mine is).

IQ is a very important number, if you want a measurement of how good a person is at doing IQ tests.

- or at least the type of IQ test used on on that particular person.

I have a son with an IQ measured at 60. He's in his thirties and will never be able to read or write. Yet he searches YouTube on his Ipod, copying down words that he discovers which work as search terms, along with pictograms so he'll remember what they mean. He follows both Australian and American politics, keeps well informed about what's going on in the world, and is always asking thoughtful questions, working at understanding how and why things happen.

You can almost hear the malformed gears of his brain crunching as he sits there and thinks, but then he comes up with his own insights, and has taught me a few things.

His verdict on nuclear power:
People make money from owning reactors. People who want to make money tell lies and don't care about other people. You can't make reactors safe when they are owned by liars who just want money and don't care about other people.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I shouldn't have skipped those science classes..

Theredneck, I havn't got a clue which is which and which is worse, I can just do it the street way and take what you all say. So thanks for your input. I should be ok here where i am but hey if that doesnt get us something else will

Seems like we have a nice chain of events happening in this age, all building up one thing after the other, just seems we are past the tipping point

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kennit

Originally posted by muzzleflash

That's the levels of radiation in the milk they tested.
NOT in the milk in your Fridge!!!!

Please realize the complexity of the situation.

You cannot test 50 jugs of milk and "know" the content of the 5 billion jugs of milk you didn't test.

I imagine they test the milk by the batch as opposed to after it's been bottled.

Ty for supporting my cause they think we're all going to get cancer from drinking the milk already

I'd say we wait a few weeks for more to accumulate before we start to get worried. If more does accumulate that is...

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

This was HAARP induced. And Japans already used the money to evacuate its citizens and paid out, but its going to get far worse. We really are in this incredibly evil paramilitary groups hands in the US that dances to international bankers, follow the trail of money to the Rothchilds and they were behind BP too. The dates alone tell you something. They're not by accident and put out in plain site.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
haarp, haarp , haarp!!!!!!! ENOUGH!!!!!! im so sick of hearing that EVERYTHING on earth is caused by haarp!!!!!!
....sorry...im better now...didnt mean to offend...im relaxed and calm now

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

His verdict on nuclear power:
People make money from owning reactors. People who want to make money tell lies and don't care about other people. You can't make reactors safe when they are owned by liars who just want money and don't care about other people.

That's beautiful and sound logic. I wish most people were as smart and logical as him.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I don't exactly believe until i see proof that HAARP caused this let alone capable of causing this. Comon lets be realistic here. Also i agree with you the Rothschilds are the most corrupt on this planet they own about half the worlds wealth most people don't know this though.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Wait until you see what the governments have for non-lethal crowd control. The subject of the Microwave Gun was one of my first posts here at ATS. They demonstrated it on 60 minutes. The US government can clear entire city blocks of protesters with it at the flip of a switch.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
fairewinds.com...

A demonstration on how the rods melted and shattered.

top topics

<< 646  647  648    650  651  652 >>

join