It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 571.htm
<< 568  569  570    572  573  574 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

I'm proud of my fellow New Yorkers. We are a smart bunch. And though sushi fish probably doesn't come from Japan, were not going to just eat it without finding out its origins first.

I haven't been in the mood for sushi since the earthquake. If it makes my stomach upset in any way I know I will question it, and I don't want that stress on me now.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by brocktoon

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
reply to post by brocktoon

Very good point

As well, you can see the beam supporting the front edge of the box has been moved, but there seems to be weathering evidence to show it has been that way for a while...

Would be nice if we could get our hands on the original files and look at the EXIF data. Would that be included on the hi-res versions?

Found here

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Back, but I am not gonna read 20 pages to catch up... if I missed something, someone point it out?

You saw this?

High level of iodine-131 detected in Fukushima

The operator of the disaster-stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant has detected 5 million times higher than the legal limit of radioactive iodine in seawater around the plant.

Tokyo Electric Power Company says it detected 300,000 bequerels of iodine-131 per 1 cubic centimeter, or 7.5 million times higher than the legal limit in samples taken around the water intake of the No. 2 reactor at 11:50 AM on Saturday.

It also found 200,000 bequerels or 5 million times higher than the limit in samples taken at 9AM on Monday.

Monday's sample also shows 1.1 million times higher than the national limit of cesium-137 whose half-life is 30 years.

The power company has been checking concentrations of radioactive materials in the seas around the plant as water containing high levels of radioactive materials has been pouring out of the cracked concrete pit near the No.2 reactor.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 13:57 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
reply to post by Maluhia

I'm proud of my fellow New Yorkers. We are a smart bunch. And though sushi fish probably doesn't come from Japan, were not going to just eat it without finding out its origins first.

I haven't been in the mood for sushi since the earthquake. If it makes my stomach upset in any way I know I will question it, and I don't want that stress on me now.

Smart man you are. The ongoing ripple effects will be felt all over the world from now on. Sushi Bars will be a thing of the past...in my vision of the not too distant future.

Des

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I just wanted to recap on what I've read:

1.) NYT confirms through the NRC that spent-fuel has been ejected within a mile of the reactor from the spent fuel pools. www.nytimes.com...
2.) ABC confirms Plutonium in soil around the reactor. www.abc.net.au...
3.) TEPCO dumps 11,500 Tonnes of highly radioactive water into the Ocean. www.abc.net.au...
4.) The water is 7.5 million times the safe limit: www.vancouversun.com...

This thread examines reactor-3 which shows it may have popped it's lid and devastated the cooling pool which is further confirmed by the NRC document and the fact plutonium is outside the reactor.

130 Tonnes of spent-fuel is potentially leaking in reactor-4 damaged by the earthquake and can worsen.

I can't seem to fathom the magnitude of this disaster and the sheer lies and cover-up by the Japanese Government and the world. The reality is, this is by far the worse disaster in Human history and it's being treated with pure denial and incompetence.

Any other important info that I may have overlooked, I did catch that Daichi has 100,000 times the legal limit so another reactor is also in trouble beyond Fukushima.

I just cannot get my mind around it.
edit on 6-4-2011 by YouAreDreaming because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by IDBIT
You haven’t missed much. We had the “Ghost Light” mystery that was solved

really?
in the last 20 pages that was all that was important?

Hmmm well I guess it's time to clean my pool and cut the grass and build a bunker for my Ferrets

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

I'm gonna have to disagree----New Yorkers (and all other urbanites) have left themselves with absolutely no way to grow their own food for the next year or more. They are rejecting fish like ATLANTIC tuna, sushi that hasn't come from Japan for decades, but they'll continue to buy veggies, milk and meat at the bodega and not ask where THAT was grown and if it got fallout and if the farmers took precautions to reduce uptake of radionuclides?

At least us suburbanites have a piece of ground to eat from for a while, where we know what's gone into it and how it was grown. I love New York and New Yorkers, truly, but this is NOT the time to be living in a huge city where you're utterly dependent on your fellow man for absolutely EVERYTHING in your life. I feel horrible for urbanites right now-----not really much they can do but trust the government and corporations.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by brocktoon

Very good point

As well, you can see the beam supporting the front edge of the box has been moved, but there seems to be weathering evidence to show it has been that way for a while...

Would be nice if we could get our hands on the original files and look at the EXIF data. Would that be included on the hi-res versions?

Found here

I personally don't think it is the same hole, and if it is, it is several years apart. In a big plant or building like that, you tend to get similar features repeated over and over again throughout the structure. At the end of the day, I don't think it matters too much, I would not really want to spend much more time on it, as I think this situation has moved on significantly in the last few days.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Missing pool wall in #4 reactor

I've looked at a bunch of these pictures and Art has a good analisis at the link above.

One thing he doesn't point out but is obvious from the picture is that the spent fuel pool's wall has been blown out. The #4 reactor pool CAN NOT BE filled.

I've heard #3 is the same.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
Japan Airlines calls for unpaid leave as quake hits demand

TOKYO : Japan Airlines on Wednesday said it is seeking 200 employees to volunteer for unpaid leave, as it tries to cut costs due to falling travel demand after the March 11 disasters and amid a nuclear crisis.

"Due to a drop in visitors and cutbacks in routes, we are seeking 200 pilots and flight attendants to volunteer for a month of unpaid leave," said Japan Airlines spokesman Taro Namba. The company employs about 12,000 people.

link

The ripple effect.

More ripples for you!

Source

Japan crisis could threaten Sellafield Mox plant’s future

The Sellafield Mox Plant (SMP) is entirely dependent on a contract signed last year with 10 Japanese power companies to produce mixed oxide fuel for the country’s fleet of reactors.

The lucrative contract, announced last May, effectively saved the plant from closure and safeguarded 800 jobs in it and 200 Sellafield staff whose work depends on it.

However, the impending catastrophe at Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant has thrown the country’s atomic industry into turmoil and, in turn, raised doubts over its arrangement with Sellafield.

A Sellafield spokesman said work connected to the contract was still ongoing at the Mox Plant and that there had been no orders from Japan to halt it.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I can agree with that, I can even see how similar patterns in weed growth, wear and tear, etc would develop in different areas that are structurally the same.

I'd like to get some of the experts opinions of the Areva step by step report unearthed at cryptome.org... and see what can be learned from it.

It's got a lot of info that I haven't seen anywhere yet and confirms, I think a lot of what Redneck theorized was happening from the beginning.

I also want to start looking at Daiini as it is close enough to fall under the effect of Daiichi's plume and could add a whole new wrinkle to this already horrid mess.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by webworker
RADIATION AT DAINI NUCLEAR PLANT 10 KM AWAY – MORE THAN 100,000 TIMES OVER LIMIT

You don't hear much about Daiini - Why are the levels high in the water there? Is it from Daiichi or Daiini?

Current Fukushima News

I guess we don't have to wonder where the giant cement boom truck and barge went.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Thanks for the update. I'd just written up a post about injecting nitrogen and so I'll amend it slightly:

Originally I thought that provided they didn't inject liquid nitrogen that would cause a major reaction (due to extreme cold meeting extreme heat), then perhaps this wasn't such a bad idea. But then I thought: "Almost everything they have done so far has been a bad idea, so..."

Okay, that's an awfully cynical perspective, I know. But all the same, it bothered me because I knew that these reactors might be breached and so air is reaching the fuel rods, and also I recalled having read something about nitrogen and how it can react with zirconium -- and the fuel cladding is zircalloy.

Well, I dug through my cyber-pile of pdfs and found the relevant statement. (Right-click the image and select "view image" if you don't want to slide it left and right at every line):

The above is from page 77 of a report entitled:
Analyses of Plume Formation, Aerosol Agglomeration and Rainout Following Containment Failure

To get a copy, go to the NRC website here Document size is 7.67 MB. (This document also includes a photocopy of a JAMA report about the effects of radiation on Chernobyl victims and how they were treated.) [Note: it can be slow to load. Also, where I say "page 77", I mean for you to go by your .pdf viewer's numbering of pages, not the numbers that appear on some pages in the document itself. This document is a collection of bits and pieces from various sources and there is no consecutive numbering included.]

But back to the report: the key thing here is that if nitrogen in an oxygen-depleted environment comes into contact with zirconium, then it can cause an exothermic reaction that can lead to melting of the metal.

If they are going to inject pure nitrogen gas to exclude hydrogen (to prevent a hydrogen gas explosion), then it also means that the nitrogen will exclude most of the oxygen that's present. While this is also important to prevent an explosive hydrogen-oxygen mix, it will create ideal conditions for the zirconium alloy to react and could even cause an extremely volatile exothermic reaction!

I sincerely hope that they are not really going to do this. I can't offer any suggestions right now, except that they should use a gas that is inert with respect to zirconium, not one that can react with it!

Mike

A brilliant find Mike. I sure hope they are reading this. Hence I'm quoting it again for you.

edit on 6/4/11 by JustMike because: minor edit

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by IDBIT
You haven’t missed much. We had the “Ghost Light” mystery that was solved

really?
in the last 20 pages that was all that was important?

Hmmm well I guess it's time to clean my pool and cut the grass and build a bunker for my Ferrets

Well, I'm sure there is a good trouser, ferret and fall out joke in there somewhere......

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by windwaker
reply to post by Maluhia

Smart man you are. The ongoing ripple effects will be felt all over the world from now on. Sushi Bars will be a thing of the past...in my vision of the not too distant future.

Des

We went to the market yesterday to buy produce. We made sure the shiitake, maiitake and straw mushrooms were from China.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I also want to start looking at Daiini as it is close enough to fall under the effect of Daiichi's plume and could add a whole new wrinkle to this already horrid mess.

Thinking further about this point, it occurs to me that they ran a couple of the other reactors at Chernobyl several years after the accident there, so there has to be a way for them to keep Daiini going, even if it winds up being in some sort of exclusion zone.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by windwaker

At least us suburbanites have a piece of ground to eat from for a while, where we know what's gone into it and how it was grown. I love New York and New Yorkers, truly, but this is NOT the time to be living in a huge city where you're utterly dependent on your fellow man for absolutely EVERYTHING in your life. I feel horrible for urbanites right now-----not really much they can do but trust the government and corporations.

Don't be so sure suburbanites know what's in their soil.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
what is the LCNP?

They have made a request under the freedom of information act for all radiation measurement available to the NRC

pbadupws.nrc.gov...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by monica86

Lawyer's Committee on Nuclear Policy

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

are they getting ready for class actions already?...

new topics

<< 568  569  570    572  573  574 >>

join