It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 570.htm
<< 567  568  569    571  572  573 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I thought you all might find this of interest..

How the anti-nuclear lobby misled us all with dodgy claims

To sum it all up.. "Its all safe"

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I wonder how long they have to stop working for, after each larger aftershock that is close to the reactors.

This one just now is only 55 miles from there, but a little bit deeper, so they felt it at least:

Magnitude 5.5
Date-Time Wednesday, April 06, 2011 at 13:54:52 UTC
Wednesday, April 06, 2011 at 10:54:52 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 37.635°N, 141.469°E
Depth 54.2 km (33.7 miles)
Region NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances 83 km (51 miles) NE of Iwaki, Honshu, Japan
85 km (52 miles) SE of Sendai, Honshu, Japan
89 km (55 miles) E of Fukushima, Honshu, Japan
265 km (164 miles) NE of TOKYO, Japan

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 6-4-2011 by lasertaglover because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I have an idea, lets just take and powder every known element, chemical compound, just everything we have an mix it into a stew and put that in the fire. We can call it Top Kill, as in kill us all 20 years down the line.

Is it just me or is there anyone else here pretty darn close to vomiting???

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Looks like some people in NY are questioning the food supply - but alas, no worries, the FDA is testing everythiing - all is safe.

www.nypost.com...

TextWith Japan facing a near-nuclear meltdown, nervous New York City sushi restaurants are desperate to reassure the jittery public that their chow isn't contaminated -- but some leery fish lovers are still swearing off their favorite raw-food spots. "No way would I eat sushi in a million years," said Ben Goldhagen, 52, a Manhattan real-estate broker. The US Food and Drug Administration is inspecting all food imports from Japan for radiation after the affected nuclear power plant began leaking extreme amounts, massively contaminating the seawater around it. But US controls have done little to assuage Manhattan's panicked public. Sushi connoisseurs are grilling their waiters about where their rolls came from, claim workers at local restaurants. "Maybe 25 percent of customers are asking," said Dovina William, who works at Ging Sushi and Asian Restaurant on the Upper East Side. Trevor Corson, author of the book "The Story of Sushi," said sushi lovers shouldn't worry, but added, "There is clearly a perception problem." Shortly after the March 11 earthquake, he says he was inundated with questions from people asking him if sushi was safe. "I was surprised. It made me realize that people have no idea that most of the fish isn't coming from Japan," he said. Read more: www.nypost.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I've been lurking at ATS a long time, but the current nuclear situation in Japan pushed me over the edge to join. I've been following this thread since the beginning. I am impressed with the information and insights provided by many here. This may be the best source for information and informed opinion on the real situation at Tepco's Fukushima Daiichi reactors.

I was just about to post this from the New York Times but OuttaHere beat me to it...

Originally posted by OuttaHere

...fragments ... of nuclear fuel from spent fuel pools ... were blown “up to one mile from the units,” and that pieces of highly radioactive material fell between two units and [were] “bulldozed over”... to protect workers at the site. The ejection of nuclear material ... during one of the earlier hydrogen explosions, may indicate more extensive damage to the extremely radioactive pools than previously disclosed."

Source: New York Times

The spent fuel rods are more radioactive than the "fresh" ones in the reactor. There were tons and tons of them in the pool. Now they are saying this stuff was spewed out for a mile all around the plant.

According to the Times, that's from a March 26th assessment document written by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. It confirms what many here already knew or suspected, the explosive ejection of nuclear fuel from the spent fuel pools.

The article also says the NRC's assessment says there is likely no water at all over the core in reactor 1:

Source: New York Times

The assessment provides graphic new detail on the conditions of the damaged cores in reactors 1, 2 and 3. Because slumping fuel and salt from seawater that had been used as a coolant is probably blocking circulation pathways, the water flow in No. 1 “is severely restricted and likely blocked.” Inside the core itself, “there is likely no water level,” the assessment says, adding that as a result, “it is difficult to determine how much cooling is getting to the fuel.” Similar problems exist in No. 2 and No. 3, although the blockage is probably less severe, the assessment says.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I was looking at this image, and a prior one somewhere in this thread that showed them lowering the reactor into it for installation.

I was rather disturbed in that it had a vague similarity to loading a shotgun shell, or a (potato) canon.

Looking at the various places where water/gas could build up; I have to wonder if it wasn't the the containment cap that got popped off of number 3. (If it was yellow you would think we could spot it in the rubble or in the hole in the building next to it (seaward side.)

Given the similarities to a shotgun shell/canon ... it would not be hard to envision something else getting launched up into the air from the explosions. Like say, part of the reactor body itself.

If sufficient explosive force were applied the entire reactor capsule could have been ejected.

I'm not saying it did... just that the possibility exists.

M.

(Oh and if you consider there were likely 3 distinct explosions in reactor # 3....)

edit on 6-4-2011 by Moshpet because: PS - I'm really hoping we don't see a worse repeat of the #3 going boom via #5 .

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Fukushima: A Nuclear Threat to Japan, the U.S. and the World

For several weeks, radioactive leaks from the Fukushima nuclear power plants have been incapacitating a large part of Japan. Information from the Japanese government and TEPCO, the power company that operates the site, has been sparse, often incomplete and sometimes contradictory. A confidential assessment by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission obtained by The New York Times suggests that the damaged Fukushima Daiichi plant is far from stable. The report concludes that the Fukushima plant is facing a wide array of fresh threats that could persist indefinitely.

The Fukushima disaster has become more than a local, regional or national Japanese event. The worldwide implications of the event are becoming apparent: though a major leak in a maintenance pit of the plant has been plugged, there is still a great likelihood that significant amounts of radioactive water will continue to be released into the Pacific Ocean; the worldwide Just-In-Time manufacturing cycle has been interrupted; and increased levels of radiation have been detected on the U.S. East Coast. Though the amount of radiation to reach the U.S. is small and poses no present danger, its presence demonstrates that the Fukushima event has global impact.

Circumstances are still evolving too fast and too out-of-control for the consequences to be fully appreciated in real time. Every day brings new revelations of failure and growing frustration in Japan and elsewhere. It has become obvious that not all the facts about the Fukushima tragedy will be known until the danger is long past.

No kidding.

And the FDA saying all seafood is safe is just typical government BS.

And guess what, if the government ``shut downs``, it would surprise me if the FDA stops testing food altogether...
edit on 6-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Back, but I am not gonna read 20 pages to catch up... if I missed something, someone point it out?

reply to post by MissTiger

That is not one of the steam lines to the turbines. The pipe is way way way too small, and is located outside the building. The main steam lines (main lines in this BWR design) are at least 48" (probably larger) and are routed straight to the turbines to minimize heat loss.

There are a myriad of piping systems that do not handle radioactive water/steam. This is just one of them.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Biggest news is that a few pages back, somebody pointed out that nitrogen can create an explosive reaction with zircalloy in a reducing environment. So some risks with this nitrogen flood.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
RADIATION AT DAINI NUCLEAR PLANT 10 KM AWAY – MORE THAN 100,000 TIMES OVER LIMIT

You don't hear much about Daiini - Why are the levels high in the water there? Is it from Daiichi or Daiini?

Current Fukushima News

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Back, but I am not gonna read 20 pages to catch up... if I missed something, someone point it out?

TheRedneck

I was beginning the get worried that you were off building a bunker or something?

You haven’t missed much. We had the “Ghost Light” mystery that was solved and we have found that “water glass” is better at plugging leaks than diapers, newspaper and sawdust!

Some interesting maps have been posted on the geology of the surrounding areas and information about proposed underground waste storage.

Welcome Back!

P.S. Also the nitrogen injection proposed for units 1, 2 & 3. KABOOM?
edit on 6-4-2011 by IDBIT because: P.S. Added.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by webworker
RADIATION AT DAINI NUCLEAR PLANT 10 KM AWAY – MORE THAN 100,000 TIMES OVER LIMIT

You don't hear much about Daiini - Why are the levels high in the water there? Is it from Daiichi or Daiini?

Current Fukushima News

This is why Daiini is finished, and the US carrier fleet beat it so quickly. Once these things get contaminated, it will be impossible to monitor and operate them with any certainty, and within reasonable exposure limits.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Back to the glowing spots on the night time web cam for a moment if it's ok? Did we always have another two
to the right of the biggest spot? I don't remember seeing them before.

www.fukushimadaiichi.jp...

edit on 6-4-2011 by scotland48 because: adding link

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

More news is here:
New York Times leaks info from NRC assessment

The leaked assessment confirms the explosive ejection of nuclear fuel from the spent fuel ponds and also says they don't think there is any coolant in the core of reactor 1.

I would love to hear an updated assessment from you on how bad you think things are based on this new info.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ikonoklast

More news is here:
New York Times leaks info from NRC assessment

The leaked assessment confirms the explosive ejection of nuclear fuel from the spent fuel ponds and also says they don't think there is any coolant in the core of reactor 1.

I would love to hear an updated assessment from you on how bad you think things are based on this new info.

Really...really...REALLY BAD!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
First apologies for a monster post are humbly requested.

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
And here is my reasoning behind the Nikon Moment pic and the concrete pit pic being the same location:

Look at the 'weed' I've circled in yellow and the break in the concrete I've circled in red. Take note of their coloring, position, shape, and size.

Next examine the same items in this photo:

I'm pretty certain these two features match sufficiently enough for this to be the same location.

In regards to the damaged housing in the concrete pit photo, I believe it to be the result of workers trying to dump concrete and then get the hell out of there as quickly as possible due to the high rads in the area.

They drive the concrete truck in with the chute extended, smash into the housing and the pole the weed is growing next to, damage them in the process of trying to align the chute with the pit and there you go.

When taken together with:

I went back in time in google news and found several reports of problems of falsified safety inspections, accidents etc with Fukushima Daiichi over many years including a few instances of radioactive material release with the standard "no immediate threat to health" assurances thrown in there.

I also wanted to throw in with this reasoning to explaining why I think these two photos are of the same area:

This is a close up and crop of the watery pit pic. You will notice a couple of circled areas that correspond to the similarly colored circles in the photo below:

Originals here

I have to agree with the BS call on the slower leak picture being down in the pit FULL OF CONCRETE. No way you'd be able to get down into that pit once it was filed up to take that picture. My lead-lined tin hat (best of both worlds) tells me that there is something in there that some at Tepco doesn't want seen.

I think fairly conclusively proves that the two pits are the same. As to it's relation to this:

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by MissTiger
Zorgon, many thanks for all your hard work and keeping us posted. If you look at the overhead plan drawing there are many pipes not visible above ground and I think due to the nature of the pipes from the reactor to the turbine building being radioactive, or at least the steam is, these will have been built underground.

TEPCO blah blah blah pits...

Whats this?

www.ibtimes.com...

WTF??? The text says this is the leaking one yet it is in a totally different area and there is another one behind it. Look at how far this one is pushed out of shape.

I need to look for more before quake images...
edit on 6-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

Look at the large piece of debris behind the guy that lies horizontally that I've circled in yellow below:

That bit of debris is clearly visible in the other photos as well. It is the lagre it that is propped against the corner of the ridge that tops the pit and features prominently in the left of the topmost photo in this post, just below th yellow circled weed.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

First apologies for a monster post are humbly requested.

And here is my reasoning behind the Nikon Moment pic and the concrete pit pic being the same location:

Look at the 'weed' I've circled in yellow and the break in the concrete I've circled in red. Take note of their coloring, position, shape, and size.

Next examine the same items in this photo:

I'm pretty certain these two features match sufficiently enough for this to be the same location.

I think this whole pit business is a red herring, but I think those pictures are several years apart, FWIW. First, let's agree that the damage does not have to be recent. Second, look at that gray equipment box at the top edge of the pit. In the first picture it is in fine condition, in the next, it has a sloppy and well weathered pop-rivet patch on the lower corner, right?
edit on 6-4-2011 by brocktoon because: my comment is stuck in the quote!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Snip

HEY!

The following is a direct link to a .pdf of a report from Matthias Braun at Ariva. and is 3.79 MB

Download this .pdf!!!

I love the last line in the report:

Way too few information are released by TEPCO, the operator of the plant

Source is above .pdf

EVERYONE should download and read through this report, it is Areva's summary of the incident.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by brocktoon

Very good point

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

reply to post by brocktoon

Very good point

As well, you can see the beam supporting the front edge of the box has been moved, but there seems to be weathering evidence to show it has been that way for a while...

top topics

<< 567  568  569    571  572  573 >>

join