It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 550.htm
<< 547  548  549    551  552  553 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrbillshow
Several people have quoted that $12 compensation figure from Tepco but all I can find is this.."The utility, known as TEPCO, will make tentative estimates of the amounts to be paid out in consultation with the government so that compensation can be provided quickly.."

Can the OP of that number back it up?

Well...I'm not the OP, but this might help...

TEPCO Offers “Apology Money”: $12 a Head
Fukushima : Japan | Apr 05, 2011

The company behind the continuing nuclear saga in Japan has offered up village governments affected by its radiation snafu condolence money. It works out to about $12 US per person. Whether or not that amount will be sufficient can not be determined at this early stage, but some of the cities offered the money has refused it.

On Tuesday, April 5, 2011, Tokyo Electric Company starting paying out monies to local governments affected to aid people from the vicinity of its stricken plant. There are more than 11,000 dead and some 16,000 missing because of the March 11 earthquake and subsequent tsunami. Since then, wide swaths of area have been declared non-inhabitable because the Fukushima plant's reactors have failed and continue to spew radioactive materials in the ocean water, the subterranean water table and in the land. www.allvoices.com... ic-power-co-tepco-and-received-via-jiji-press-shows-the-damage-to-tepco-s-no-1

Des

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxcatcatcatxx
This has gotten beyond ridiculous, WHEN are they going to tell the truth.

They did last night... dropped a bomb on us....

From NHK

The operator of the disaster-stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant has detected 5 million times higher than the legal limit of radioactive iodine in seawater around the plant.

Tokyo Electric Power Company says it detected 300,000 bequerels of iodine-131 per 1 cubic centimeter, or 7.5 million times higher than the legal limit in samples taken around the water intake of the No. 2 reactor at 11:50 AM on Saturday.

It also found 200,000 bequerels or 5 million times higher than the limit in samples taken at 9AM on Monday. Monday's sample also shows 1.1 million times higher than the national limit of cesium-137 whose half-life is 30 years.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

We screen captured that one

edit on 5-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by LilFox
What about bedding sand?

It works its way into the crack and can seal it.. if there is a pressure buildup and expansion of any kind, the sand will give way.. and will settle back again.

There are multiple cracks under the whole plant. The whole coast sank from 75 cm at Fukushima to several meters in the North. As Redneck and others have pointed out it is most likely there are cracks under the whole area. We have see the crack and the pits they already showed and you can see movement of several inches

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Michelle129th

Originally posted by MissTiger
Update on liquid glass injection.

The operator of the crisis-hit Fukushima nuclear plant has injected a hardening agent beneath a leaking concrete pit in a bid to stem the flow of highly radioactive water into the sea. The firm says the leakage seems to be decreasing, following the infusion of the hardening agent. The utility showed reporters a photo of the leak on Tuesday evening, saying it indicates such a decrease. TEPCO said it will infuse another 1,500 liters of liquid glass. Tokyo Electric Power Company started infusing liquid glass into gravel below the pit near the Number 2 reactor at 3 PM on Tuesday.

NHK

I still don't think that looks like a crack in the wall and they probably just put less water in somewhere else to stop it flowing out so fast.
edit on 5/4/11 by MissTiger because: (no reason given)

Before saying anything I'll be sure to say that I'm very far from any kind of photo debunker. But...does that even look like the same image? I downloaded and zoomed into the picture just to be sure and it's hard to be sure as they are slightly different angles. The two things that stuck out to me are the lines or bars on the far side of the pit in the second picture that aren't in the first...and also the second picture looks like a larger pit to me...longer than the first. Again, it could be the lighting or angle, but they don't look the same to me...anyone else?

Michelle

You might be on to something. The 'crack" in the second photo looks to be much farther away from the top corner than the first.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I am also not a photo debunker and I will leave that to the more talented ones on this thread but it is also very clear to me that the grill at the back of the second photo isn't on the first. Not sure if the water is hiding it but I can't see any sign of it.

There is one of those pits at every reactor

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Just wait, the Japanese government will come out with an announcement that whale meat is still fine to eat.

"The radiation levels are not high enough to cause harm", as they say.

OR

They will raise the 'safe' levels to compensate

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

The operator of the crisis-hit Fukushima nuclear plant has injected a hardening agent beneath a leaking concrete pit in a bid to stem the flow of highly radioactive water into the sea. The firm says the leakage seems to be decreasing, following the infusion of the hardening agent. The utility showed reporters a photo of the leak on Tuesday evening, saying it indicates such a decrease. TEPCO said it will infuse another 1,500 liters of liquid glass. Tokyo Electric Power Company started infusing liquid glass into gravel below the pit near the Number 2 reactor at 3 PM on Tuesday.

NHK

I still don't think that looks like a crack in the wall and they probably just put less water in somewhere else to stop it flowing out so fast.

Before saying anything I'll be sure to say that I'm very far from any kind of photo debunker. But...does that even look like the same image? I downloaded and zoomed into the picture just to be sure and it's hard to be sure as they are slightly different angles. The two things that stuck out to me are the lines or bars on the far side of the pit in the second picture that aren't in the first...and also the second picture looks like a larger pit to me...longer than the first. Again, it could be the lighting or angle, but they don't look the same to me...anyone else?

Michelle

You might be on to something. The 'crack" in the second photo looks to be much farther away from the top corner than the first.

Looking at the photos, to my eyes...I count from the right hand side...5 vertical bars in, that don't match up in both photos. I based my count on using the vertical wall plate attaching the bar unit to the wall, and also not counting the wall plate. Hope I made sense...

Des

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
This doesn't sound like low level radiation to me. They are poisoning the ocean. Don't let anyone try to tell you that it is all safe and nothing to worry about. We are dealing with a situation that is unprecedented in human history. Nobody can tell you what the end result will be from dumping this poison into the ocean because it has never happened before.

people coming on in the morning really should read back at lest 3-5 pages because most of the press releases and new info comes out at night (as it is afternoon the next day in Japan ( Time is usually after 10 Pm pacific)

The water released was first announced at 100 time safe level but within the hour was said to be 500 times... This is ON TOP OF the already leaking highly radioactive water... Measurements at the INTAKE were announced last night as 5 MILLION times higher for Iodine

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Several people have quoted that $12 compensation figure from Tepco but all I can find is this.."The utility, known as TEPCO, will make tentative estimates of the amounts to be paid out in consultation with the government so that compensation can be provided quickly.."

President Kan announced today that the government will assume all responsibility for this accident. I doubt when this is over TEPCO will have a dime left to it's name. The share holders eat fish... they are NOT happy with killing the fishing grounds. I assume the Kan announcement should be on Kyoto by now

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curio

OK, I've asked this before and I don't think I've been answered...

If #3 wasn't a hydrogen explosion but the reactor going "bang", wouldn't we be seeing radiation readings off the scale in Tokyo and also significant readings in the US? I mean, we'd be talking a Chernobyl event and there would be no hiding that. TEPCO and the media would not be able to cover that level of radiation up.

Can somebody clarify this?

Buried somewhere in the thread I had posted this information - reposting here.

The plutonium signatures match proving that the plutonium found is from the [ MOX ] fuel rods.

The Tokyo Electric Company confirmed that AREVA-manufactured fuel assemblies containing plutonium have at least partially melted down when they said that plutonium was found on five separate sites on the reactor grounds, and they had matched the plutonium signature of fuel produced at AREVA’s La Hague facility. The fuel assemblies were first loaded in the reactor at Fukushima last September and were in Reactor 3 when the 14 meter tsunami overwhelmed the nuclear plant dcbureau.org...

If reactor #3 breached containment when it blew...we would expect to see measurments of three plutonium isotopes -- Pu-238, -239 and -240, which has been admitted now.

What if the release of elements in the smoke and vapour were not just radioactive iodine, caesium and uranium but a MOX combination including plutonium?

This would explain why the workers were immediately evacuated given the deadly nature of plutonium;
Plutonium is extremely difficult to detect because it emits limited gamma rays -- unlike radioactive iodine, caesium and uranium -- and it is deadly; Plutonium release would not show up as a radiation spike;

Plutonium 239 is the deadliest element known to man;
Half-life of Plutonium-239 in MOX is 24,000 years: Few milligrams of P-239 escaping in a smoke plume will contaminate soil for tens of thousands of years
www.businessinsider.com...

ETA: Japanese authorities said they detected a surprising drop in pressure readings from within the containment vessel [3] on Wednesday. That would either suggest faulty sensor readings, or a rupture in containment
www.newsmax.com...

edit on 5-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
"The Guardian" a UK newspaper has asked readers for ideas to resolve the problems at Fukushima. You can read some interesting ideas here :-

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

If you look closely at the water pouring out you will see a long stain beneath it, rust colored. This stain is created over a long time. I am willing to bet these 'leaks' are not EQ caused but normal and they are just using the images.

That is NOT a crack but an iron oxide stain

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by burntheships

The worst thing about this is not really the Iodine-131, which has a half-life of 8 days, and will be totally gone in 80 days. The worst thing about it is the CESIUM-137 with a half-life of 30 years... which means it'll stay in the ocean/area for 300 years.

And the levels of cesium-137 are 1.1 million times over the limit!

Agreed, I posted this way back in the thread. I was highlighting that news bit as the reading
was taken back on Saturday...which was before TEPCO released the contaminated water in the the ocean...

Traces of Cesium - 137 from Chernobyl still waft on the jetstreams- Chernobyl's nuclear disaster 25 years ago.

In April 1986, nuclear power plant workers in Sweden detected a spike in iodine-131 and cesium-137, which — after a check of wind patterns — revealed the unfolding disaster at Chernobyl

www.washingtonpost.com...

edit on 5-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I just connected.
Wondering if you had seen this one......

www3.nhk.or.jp...

rradiation monitor at the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant says workers there are exposed to immeasurable levels of radiation. The monitor told NHK that no one can enter the plant's No. 1 through 3 reactor buildings because radiation levels are so high that monitoring devices have been rendered useless. He said even levels outside the buildings exceed 100 millisieverts in some places.

...and then there is this other paragraph which is puzzling to say the least..

the monitor said he takes measurements as soon as he finds water, because he can't determine whether it's contaminated just by looking at it. He said he's very worried about the safety of workers there.

surely not even TEPCO would have ever even contemplated they could determine levels of radiation in the water just by looking at it......
and yet, someone working with this guy (his bosses???) must have suggested it...otherwise the man would not be saying this...lol

edit on 5-4-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Well...I'm not the OP, but this might help...

TEPCO Offers “Apology Money”: $12 a Head
Fukushima : Japan | Apr 05, 2011

The company behind the continuing nuclear saga in Japan has offered up village governments affected by its radiation snafu condolence money. It works out to about $12 US per person. Whether or not that amount will be sufficient can not be determined at this early stage, but some of the cities offered the money has refused it.

On Tuesday, April 5, 2011, Tokyo Electric Company starting paying out monies to local governments affected to aid people from the vicinity of its stricken plant. There are more than 11,000 dead and some 16,000 missing because of the March 11 earthquake and subsequent tsunami. Since then, wide swaths of area have been declared non-inhabitable because the Fukushima plant's reactors have failed and continue to spew radioactive materials in the ocean water, the subterranean water table and in the land. www.allvoices.com... ic-power-co-tepco-and-received-via-jiji-press-shows-the-damage-to-tepco-s-no-1

Des

Thanks Des, that explains it. The money being referred to is what tepco offered the local governments. if they gave 1 million and that area has 80k people, well that would be $12 a head if you wanted to figure it that way. But it really isn't accurate.

I have to say this, incorrect information has been building on this thread for the last week or so. It's making it harder to cull thru the posts to find the gems of important facts. With the scope of this disaster this is no need to gild the nuclear lily at this point.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Please take a look at the Web Cam. I have not seen this before and I check quite often. Got it :-)

This doesn't look good.

edit on 5-4-2011 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

NHK

Michelle

Looking at the photos, to my eyes...I count from the right hand side...5 vertical bars in, that don't match up in both photos. I based my count on using the vertical wall plate attaching the bar unit to the wall, and also not counting the wall plate. Hope I made sense...

Des

The pics are taken from slightly different angles, I am pretty certain they are the same grate and it would make sense they would use the same grate for each water intake area of the different reactors. But it sure looks to me like those are two different of the same type of intake areas.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
Please take a look at the Web Cam. I have not seen this before and I check quite often. Got it :-)

This doesn't look good.

edit on 5-4-2011 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)
All I see is a white dot. ? What have you been seeing previously?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

it's all black with a white spot on my screen (i tried both chrome and explorer)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

That is NOT a crack but an iron oxide stain

I agree, this stain has been there a long time and the iron oxide is coming from the reinforcement in the concrete and would only have been created by water covering it all the time or dripping onto it.

Also I can't see any other rust spots so there is no way the water level coming up that far that has caused it, there is only a rust stain at that point.

new topics

top topics

<< 547  548  549    551  552  553 >>

join