It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 531.htm
<< 528  529  530    532  533  534 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by Procharmo

Ahem...I didn't "bomb" anyone's nuclear reactor. I have no intention of doing so. That being said, it might come down to using explosives at some point in Japan, in order to separate fuel rods. We just don't know.

Des

Take it easy. I didn't accuse you just the US. It was in response to an earlier post which claimed it came from a Polish source. I have only seen it on www.godlikeproductions.com... and this site. The poster was also Polish so it may be a hoax.

But it's good to see that we would all get behind anyone who blows up a perfectly working reactor anywhere regardless of the design.

Based on your reactions I'm pretty sure it won't be long before that sense of patriotism we all posses allows us to destroy the planet (nuke all your enemies reactors en masse and know the public will be behind you).
edit on 4-4-2011 by Procharmo because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Why is Japan dumping radioactive water into the ocean? www.csmonitor.com...

The Japanese Gov't and Tepco aren't even on the same page.....

This is becoming more, and more, like some really bad John Carpenter horror film.

“The fact that they’re encountering ... these large sources of contaminated water – and still are unable to say exactly where it’s coming from – is troubling,” said Edward Lyman, a senior scientist in the Global Security Program at the Union of Concerned Scientists, in a briefing for reporters late last week.

“Even if they say the contamination will be diluted in the ocean, the longer this continues, the more radioactive particles will be released and the greater the impact on the ocean,” said Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano at a press conference. “We are strongly urging TEPCO that they have to take immediate action to deal with this.”

Japan’s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says the disposal of the low-level waste is an emergency measure and that it will increase monitoring of water and sea life in the surrounding area to ensure levels of radioactive iodine do not spike too high.

Des

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
What I am finding extremely ironic is that a while back IIRC the Russians dumped some radioactive water into the Sea of Japan and the Japanese went bats**t crazy over it, lodged all kinds of UN protests and pushed for a worldwide ban of nuclear discharges into the ocean.

Don't recall the exact details but it is odd that now they are saying corium laced water isn't a big issue... the lies, deception and misdirection involved with this makes Baghdad Bob look like Walter Cronkite in his heyday.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Your reaction was uncalled for Sir. I was only referring to a much earlier post, I made in this thread, maybe 150 pages ago, regarding the discussion at the time, of possible ways to separate rods, should the need arise. It was not a call to patriotism, nor a call to take sides on an issue. Let's play nice ok?

Des

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This strikes me as utterly crass and uncaring:

The leak itself may not pose a severe threat, said Kathryn Higley, professor of nuclear engineering and radiation health physics at Oregon State University.

“You’re likely to have a footprint in the soil and the sands and sediments as that material leaks out, but the impact is likely to be pretty minimal,” Higley said yesterday in a telephone interview. “Even if it does get out into that marine environment, that area around there has been pretty badly torn up, so there’s not a lot of life to be impacting.”

Source
She's basically saying that since the earthquake and tsunami have killed off large portions of the population and damaged the area, it's ok to dump radioactively contaminated water.

We might need to get that goon squad going.
edit on 4-4-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Sourced

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
What I am finding extremely ironic is that a while back IIRC the Russians dumped some radioactive water into the Sea of Japan and the Japanese went bats**t crazy over it, lodged all kinds of UN protests and pushed for a worldwide ban of nuclear discharges into the ocean.

Don't recall the exact details but it is odd that now they are saying corium laced water isn't a big issue... the lies, deception and misdirection involved with this makes Baghdad Bob look like Walter Cronkite in his heyday.
They have done the same thing many times over the years about our nuclear powered naval vessels.

Hundreds protest

13,000 protest

Again, in 2009

Interestingly, from the last link:

Japan once operated a nuclear-powered ship, the cargo vessel Mutsu, from 1972 to 1992, when its engines were switched to diesel. The ship had sprung a nuclear leak on its first test run in the Pacific in 1974. Read more: www.asdnews.com...

edit on 4-4-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by SFA437

They have done the same thing many times over the years about our nuclear powered naval vessels.

Hundreds protest

13,000 protest

Again, in 2009

Interestingly, from the last link:

Japan once operated a nuclear-powered ship, the cargo vessel Mutsu, from 1972 to 1992, when its engines were switched to diesel. The ship had sprung a nuclear leak on its first test run in the Pacific in 1974. Read more: www.asdnews.com...

edit on 4-4-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

Between that and the IAEA saying the evac zone should be widened frightens me more than anything else I have read.

The Japanese are rabidly protective of their seas and the IAEA exists solely to maintain the status quo of nuclear power being safe (without nuclear power the organization ceases to exist). For both to essentially be shooting themselves in the foot is extremely telling in my mind.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Yes, had the Japanese been so rabidly anti-nuclear when it came to their own doings, maybe we wouldn't be in this little predicament right now.

I am one that thinks that we all need to be a little rabid now, especially with the spent fuel storage issue, all over this world. It is not just a local issue.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Yes, that does look like an expansion joint; good eyes.

And I agree... this is minor damage, just an indication of the strength of the quake/explosion.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Just thought I would post this... I just got off the phone with my primary small parts supplier (Mouser Electronics) and they told me they had no indication of a supply disruption due to the happenings in Japan. I know some parts are made over there, but the factories seem to be still running, at least for now.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Japan didn't just move - Fukushima area also sank.

Could this be part of the problem we are seeing with rising water?

Japan Meteorological Agency

Increase of the risk of the submergence and flood during the spring tide associated with the ground sink caused by the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake

The 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake largely sank the ground level of the Pacific coast of Tohoku region and northern part of Kanto region. The risk of the submergence and flood in these regions has become larger than before the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake.

Therefore, it is necessary to pay special attention to the tide level and to prepare for the submergence and flood in these regions, especially during the spring tide, when the flood tide level becomes higher than usual.

JMA will alert the region where the ground level largely sank by issuing the Storm surge Advisory.

Special attention should be paid to the tide level around spring tides (until the end of April);

* from 18 to 26 March, 2011
* from 1 to 11 April, 2011
* from 16 to 24 April, 2011

They dumped stored water today...to make room for the water in tunnels and trenches.

Massive tsunami waves that hit the plant after the March 11 earthquake left water inside the plant's facilities, and the 10,000 tons of water found in the facility for nuclear waste disposal is believed to be part of the seawater, Hidehiko Nishiyama, a spokesman for the nuclear agency said. By removing the water containing low-level radioactive substances in the waste disposal facility, TEPCO plans to instead fill the facility with a massive amount of highly radioactive water currently in the No. 2 reactor's turbine building and underground tunnel-like trench that is connected to the building, Nishiyama said.

Could this water be coming in from the ocean itself in high tide from underneath through the bedrock since it appears the landmass has actually sunk if I am understanding this? Ground water near 5 and 6 is also being drained. Since we think at least part of the core of unit #3 and maybe others may or will meltdown into the bedrock this could be very bad. Are we seeing constant salt water mixing with melted core in the bedrock as the tide comes in and flooding up into the plant? Is the water in the trenches - the new sea level?

Nishiyama also said that it had become necessary to release 1,500 tons of groundwater, also containing radioactive materials, found near the Nos. 5 and 6 reactor turbine buildings out of concern that the water could drown safety-related equipment. Of the six reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, the Nos. 5 and 6 reactors have achieved ''cold shutdown,'' but Nishiyama said that he is afraid their cooling functions could be lost if the water level increases inside the buildings.

Kyodo story today on dumping water

edit on 4-4-2011 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

At 0:25 to 0:27 one can see what appears to be the primary RPV lid/cap on the right side of the image.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
'Catastrophic water dump means Fukushima really out of control'

Scientific expert gives the "real dirt" interview to UK reporter.
www.youtube.com...

Des

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The latest from the spin-doctor disinfo machine:

More manipulation

Here is your neatly organized and compartmentalized nuclear disaster. See nothing to worry about.
Nothing to see here, move along now, and don't dare doubt us OR ask any objective questions.
How dare you.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardoom

More manipulation

Here is your neatly organized and compartmentalized nuclear disaster. See nothing to worry about.
Nothing to see here, move along now, and don't dare doubt us OR ask any objective questions.
How dare you.

First three sources of info:
Sources: Japanese government; Tokyo Electric Power Company; International Atomic Energy Agency;

That whole thing is nothing more than industrial strength spin and BS.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

No heavy machinery, it's some sort of pipe or something. Take a look at the full-size photos; I cropped these to fit in the thread.

ETA: I'm wrong, it's machinery, but definitely out of commission for a long while (see follow-up post).
edit on 4-4-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by zenzen

Perhaps I've missed it but I can't see how the discussion of the movement of these pipes is of significance to this thread.

Yes, you did miss it. It's significant because the pictures are supposed to be from the same day, same set of pics taken, yet these show *something* big happened between these photos being taken.

Please do read the whole thread or at least the last 20 pages before you criticize the worthiness of others' posts or their significance. For someone who has rarely contributed to the thread, it's not up to you to say what's worthy of being posted or not.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardoom

Originally posted by Nucleardoom

More manipulation

How dare you.

Here's a quote from your link:

SOIL: Very high concentrations of cesium 137 were found near the village of Iitate, 25 miles northwest of the plant. The levels were about twice as high as the threshold for declaring areas uninhabitable around Chernobyl.

This means that IF NO more cesium 137 accumulates (a big "if", considering the disaster is expected to go on and on for months or perhaps years), in thirty years when half of it is gone, there will still be enough cesium137 in Iitate to declare it an uninhabitable zone. Why are the people of Iitate not being relocated?

edit on 4-4-2011 by OuttaHere because: Added "soil".

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I highly, highly doubt this piece of equipment is still in service:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
The bottom photo was taken 20 March, and the top one 24 March, my guess is that it was moved to clear space for a sprayer like the one on Unit 4.

Where is this info coming from? If it's true, then the pics make a lot more sense. But I wasn't aware they were 4 days apart?

Edit: you're totally right. My bad. Anything could have happened between the pics.
edit on 4-4-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 528  529  530    532  533  534 >>

join