Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Original post: Ominous flash from Kyodo Wire:

The operator of the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant reported an abnormality Friday following a powerful earthquake which hit a wide area in northeastern Japan including Fukushima Prefecture, the industry ministry said.

The system to cool reactor cores in case of emergency stopped at the No. 1 and No. 2 reactors of the plant operated by Tokyo Electric Power Co., it said.

There are reports that the Japanese PM will declare a nuclear emergency.

Update 1: There's no evidence of any radioactive leakage, but officials have confirmed that the cooling process for the nuclear plant has not yet gone according to plan.

Update 2: Japan has declared a nuclear emergency.

Update 3: 2000 residents near the Fukushima Nuclear Plant have been urged to evacuate.

Update 4: According to reports, Japanese jets have been ordered to fly over the Fukushima Nuclear plant

Update 5: According to Reuters, a Dam has broken in the same region as the at-risk nuclear power plant.

Update 6: The owner of the plant, TEPCO, says the reactor pressure is rising, and there are risks of a radiation leak, according to Reuters.

Update 7: Now the trade minister says a leak is possible.

Update 8: Word is, Japanese authorities will release a small amount of radioactive vapor into the air to ease pressure.

Update 9: Japan just expanded the evacuation range from 3 KM to 9 KM, says Reuters.

Update: 4:29 PM ET: Anti-nuclear expert Kevin Kamp explains the nightmare scenario in Fukushma, via Forbes and the Institute for Public Accuracy:

“The electrical grid is down. The emergency diesel generators have been damaged. The multi-reactor Fukushima atomic power plant is now relying on battery power, which will only last around eight hours. The danger is, the very thermally hot reactor cores at the plant must be continuously cooled for 24 to 48 hours. Without any electricity, the pumps won’t be able to pump water through the hot reactor cores to cool them. Once electricity is lost, the irradiated nuclear fuel could begin to melt down. If the containment systems fail, a catastrophic radioactivity release to the environment could occur.

“In addition to the reactor cores, the storage pool for highly radioactive irradiated nuclear fuel is also at risk. The pool cooling water must be continuously circulated. Without circulation, the still thermally hot irradiated nuclear fuel in the storage pools will begin to boil off the cooling water. Within a day or two, the pool’s water could completely boil away. Without cooling water, the irradiated nuclear fuel could spontaneously combust in an exothermic reaction. Since the storage pools are not located within containment, a catastrophic radioactivity release to the environment could occur. Up to 100 percent of the volatile radioactive Cesium-137 content of the pools could go up in flames and smoke, to blow downwind over large distances. Given the large quantity of irradiated nuclear fuel in the pool, the radioactivity release could be worse than the Chernobyl nuclear reactor catastrophe of 25 years ago.”

Meanwhile, Kyodo is reporting that local radiation levels are 8 times more than normal.

Update 4:43 PM: Now according to Kyodo, radiation is measured at 1000x normal.

Update 5:05: The entire world is now watching the Fukushima plant. Here's a llink to a satellite image of the plant, just to get some more perspective on where this is:

maps.google.com...,141.03415&spn=0.005879,0.014849&t=h&z=17

Update 5:33: Both reactors at the plant have been damaged, and officials say they have "lost control" of the pressure, according to Reuters.

Update 7:39: The latest from Kyodo Wire: Government holds emergency meeting on the plant, and is taking unprecedented stap of demanding the plant open a key valve.

Japan's nuclear safety agency is set to issue an unprecedented order for Tokyo Electric Power Co. to open a valve at the troubled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant to release pressure following a powerful earthquake, it said Saturday.
english.kyodonews.jp...

Update 7:51: At least 20,000 people are being evacuated from the region says Reuters, which ominously quotes an expert who thinks there may be just a few hours until meltdown.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...
edit on 11-3-2011 by jude11 because: link addition
edit on 11-3-2011 by jude11 because: update

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 1curious1

Yeah, a while back they widened the evacuation area from 3 kilometers to 6 kilometers. If we see them widen it even further, that's probably not a good sign. There's obviously US involvement (started earlier today) trying to provide any support/help we can give them (additional "coolant" = presumably heavy-water), etc. So, sounds like it's a full-court-press pulling-out all the stops on this - what they would have called in WWII a "maximum effort".

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Update 5:33: Both reactors at the plant have been damaged, and officials say they have "lost control" of the pressure, according to Reuters.

Great post/link! Thanks for that!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

I stand corrected (and apparently so does Hillary ...) ...
UPDATE 1-US did not deliver coolant to Japan nuclear reactor

One U.S. official said he believed Clinton was told Japan had requested the material, that the United States had agreed to provide it, and that an operation to do so was under way.

Ultimately, however, Japan did not need assistance from the United States but Clinton did not appear to have been updated before she made her public remarks.

edit on 2011-3-11 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Removed expletives. Added quote.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator

OH SHEOT !!!

That article makes it sound like everything is fine now, but the businessinsider link said they had lost control...I'm confused.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Great post/link! Thanks for that!

You're welcome...Thanx

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kennypowers

OH SHEOT !!!

That article makes it sound like everything is fine now, but the businessinsider link said they had lost control...I'm confused.

TPTB want us confused over this and everything else that is happening and/or coming. That's why we all work together to suss out all info and come to our own conclusions.

Personally, I will believe Businessinsider as they have nothing to gain by us knowing.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This is probably an outside comment to make, but if there were a meltdown in Japan, obviously they would be severely affected, however what about the rest of the world? surely there would be knock on effects ?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

OH SHEOT !!!

TPTB want us confused over this and everything else that is happening and/or coming. That's why we all work together to suss out all info and come to our own conclusions.

Personally, I will believe Businessinsider as they have nothing to gain by us knowing.

I know they want us confused, I just turned to the MSM channels to see what they're saying. Sometimes it amazes me how on top of stuff ATS as a whole stays on events going on worldwide. I just pray for those already suffering from the floods, fire, and quakes, that they don't have to deal with a meltdown...talk about kiciking a dog when it's down.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
And now another emergency at an undisclosed 2nd plant!! Not sounding good at all.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon
This is probably an outside comment to make, but if there were a meltdown in Japan, obviously they would be severely affected, however what about the rest of the world? surely there would be knock on effects ?

Just to give you some idea, here's some Chernobyl links ...
Chernobyl on Wikipedia

Here's a map of the effected areas from the Chernobyl disaster ...

[I wish I could "embed" that image instead of linking to it, but I've never figured that out on ATS]

Presumably, Japan is more densely populated - causing more casualties.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Just have to go to tools and save the picture (upload) to your ats account, then the picture will give the option to embed or use as avatar. Resize as needed.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Your maps a little small, the whole world was affected. Here in Cumbria, UK, it's only recently (last 10-15 years) all traces of radiation from Chernobyl have finally vanished from the tops of (some of) the fells!

EDIT: To say, not having a pop, just pointing it out
edit on 11/3/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

Second edit: To embed the image it either has to be uploaded to your ATS media page or to imageshack, not sure which other image hosting are supported for embedding.
edit on 11/3/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Just an update as far as the MSM goes, all they reported was a release of a small amount of radioactive vapor and then moved on and that was CNN. Fox isn't even talking about anything Japan related, been talking about Libya and Saudi Arabia. HLN is talking about Mel Gibson.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Just an update as far as the MSM goes, all they reported was a release of a small amount of radioactive vapor and then moved on and that was CNN. Fox isn't even talking about anything Japan related, been talking about Libya and Saudi Arabia. HLN is talking about Mel Gibson.

At least I'm not seeing Charlie Sheen anywhere.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Hmm..... coincidence? I think not.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
And now another emergency at an undisclosed 2nd plant!! Not sounding good at all.

jaynkeel,

It's just got worse yet.

Just now, over MSN.com, the count is up to three...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

This is a day we'll all remember.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone effected.

Peace.

Edit to add...

What more can these poor people take today. Now word is that the Sakurajima volcano has had a major eruption. Will not speak for the authenticity of the following video, but if it's legit than God help them.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 11-3-2011 by Hessling because: Latest update

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

yea the G8, or other powerful organizations associated with the world powers, are Def. Hushing any sounds of radiative waste falling upon civilians.
the monetary cost to take responsibility would be detrimental.

en.wikipedia.org...

Just think about it.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Here's the map from that Article ...

Not sure why it's truncating the picture, here's a link ...

edit on 2011-3-11 by EnhancedInterrogator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Thanks wasn't aware of the third, although thanks is probably not the best word considering the situation at hand. Scary is the only word coming to mind right now. Once released this will effect us all sadly. I can't help but scratch my head as to the logic of using nuclear power in an area prone to seismic activity though? Ahh guess just another thing in life where hind sight is 20/20.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join