It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 477.htm
<< 474  475  476    478  479  480 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Far away from the Daiichi plant.

My concern was for an accumulation of radioactives falling on hydrates and heating them just enough to start a release...once started under those circumstances it could maintain itself for quite awhile and release a very large amount of methane.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by imlite
Now even the Jap Prime Minister keeps complaining that TEPCO keep lying to everyone.

So who runs that country anyway?

Redneck already told us:

Wile E Coyote

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by comawhite12
Has anyone noticed the tank in the bacground of the workers on the pier? It has imploded! I know heat will cause this, but I dont think there has been enough flame heat to cause this. Any idea how this would end up like this?

It looked to me like it got crushed by the wave the came in, went up the seawall and smashed into it.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by comawhite12

Has anyone noticed the tank in the bacground of the workers on the pier? It has imploded! I know heat will cause this, but I dont think there has been enough flame heat to cause this. Any idea how this would end up like this?

If your talking about the tank I think you are..I think that inward crushing of the lower part of the tank was done by the tsunami waters

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I don't think that would be for cooling, might be injected as an inert gas.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Actually, that was someone who replied to me. But I am buying stock in ACME and Warner Bros right now...

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
I still think it is probable that we actually saw two near-simultaneous explosions. hydrogen is not really that unstable, so there would likely have been a spark of some sort to set it off.

I have gone back to look/listen to that video with the three explosions... the original was live on the news This version is what I saw first with the newscaster dumbfounded at the end

I am now wondering if those sounds are real and were earlier than the visual flash....

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Does anyone know where the toilets were in those buildings?

If they were below the level water currently is, then another possible source of the leak into the ocaen is the sewage system.

Where is the sewage outlet for that plant?

Did it go to a treatment plant elsewhere or was it treated and released into the ocean onsite?

I wonder what standard the sewage pipes were built to?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Both sound and light are constant speeds so there would be a 30 sec delay either way.

It's possible the sounds preceded the explosion by a 1/2 minute give or take. The question raised there is- WTF made those booms??

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by Curio

Thanks!

TEPCO stated it was a hydrogen explosion and as far as I'm aware they maintain this still. I suspect it might have been more than that, but frankly that's just a gut feeling and could well be wrong.

We (ATS members) need to do some more figuring. Namely, how many cubic metres of Hydrogen-Oxygen mix could have been in that building, within the range of values that would allow an explosion to occur? Having got that figure and then assuming "optimal" conditions for the mix to explode, we need to determine if that amount of explosive gas mix would be capable of producing a blast near to that of a MOAB in terms of its energy release.

If we find that "yes, the maximum energy yield is big enough", then we have to accept the hydrogen explosion story as feasible. If however the research shows "no, the maximum energy yield not big enough", then we have to think further.

Ideally, a member who's an industrial chemist would be one of the best to answer this for us. Any takers?

Mike

The initial flash was over the turbine building, and I expect that was a hydrogen explosion. Then there was an explosion in the reactor building, no doubt from the fire from the initial explosion travelling along the pipes connecting the two buildings, (another downfall of having water from the reactor driving the turbines directly,) and found another hydrogen build-up to explode. However this explosion caused a major, quite different, third explosion. I don't know enough about the explosive properties of the contents of a reactor to say what it was exactly, except that it resulted in a very large "dirty bomb" explosion, hurling huge pieces of stuff, most likely the round covers from the top of the reactor, way up into the air.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
Redneck already told us:
Wile E Coyote

Ah well there is a fix for that

Send in the Wabbit

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

The speed of sound varies with temperature, humidity, etc, but probably not enough to make much difference in this analysis I imagine.

Would it be possible to run a spectroscopic analysis on the video of the cloud to determine it's contents? Or would you need to pass a laser directly through the material to run those sorts of tests?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by buffet of lies

On March 26th there was an article that came out that was mostly about the fukushima 50 but had a few lines that struck me as odd: www.watoday.com.au...

"A ghastly boom was heard in the suppression chamber of reactor 4, said Kenji Tada, who was there at the time. Cracks started ripping in the asphalt and the sides of the building. They fled before the tsunami arrived and did its worst. "

This implies that there was an explosion before the plant completely lost power. It says the main power was knocked out, but the tsunami hadn't arrived yet so the battery/backup generators should have kicked in. I think teh part about the cracks starting is telling as well.

Does it change anything or is it significant? That's what I'm wondering...

I am quite intrigued by that actually, I thinkj that was a very good post.

The first thing that stands out to me is that implications that it was the quake and not the tsunami that triggered the destruction of at least reactor 4, but possibly others.

Secondly, could one of our more learned contributors clarify to me how come a #4 suppression chamber was so volatile if, as TEPCO have I believe asserted, the reactor #4 was out of service? I watched that Fairewinds video (31st March) and got the impression that the issues would more likely be with the volatility of the SFR storage, not with a reactor's systems and acilliaries, surely they would be de-pressurised, if the thing was deactivated?

Thirdly, the cracks in the asphalt, the big question there is surely, were they produced by the EQ, and the ground movement/sinking, or by the reactor expolosion (and perhaps linked to those manhole cover removals that are also being discussed)? Remember that shot in the on-site footage of what looked like a RPV sitting at an obscure angle, could it be ground movement doing that that was in fact the trigger?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
hopefully it will get better soon

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

You get the cigar

Yes that one is #4 but after the fact. The camera was on the concrete pump boom and shows the fuel crane, the small one in green, fallen into the fuel pool... the pink squares to the left of the crane are the square containers for the fuel rods that SHOULD be 30 feet under water... They are not they are exposed and I see no sign that the tank is intact.

That video was taken on the 24th I believe after they saw that they stopped trying to fill that tank...

edit on 1-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

What about the industries in the Southern hemisphere? Why wouldn't there be an equal hole in the Northern hemisphere, if the industry emissions of CFCs is the cause of the one in the SH? To say freon from industries in the northern hemispheres are the cause for the hole in the Southern hemishphere...I don't think the evidence for that kind of correlation is there really.

I am just playing devils advocate with that.

I am not saying chlorine radicals don't destroy ozone. Just that your analogy is taking a giant leap on the back of a theory not conclusively proven yet.

Yes, the radioactivity is really bad for Japanese. Very bad. It may eventuate, maybe sooner than later it is not good for parts of the American continent also, and in that case eventually for the Northern hemisphere.

I just do not think there is any point in getting yourself and others worked up when they are living places like Melbourne, or anywhere in Australia, or the Solomons, or NZ, Chile etc. Not at this point. Consider instead the plight of the Japanese. And if you really are concerned about direct impact on you in the Southern hemisphere from the Japanese catastrophe, consider the economic blow coming your way. That is what you should be preparing for first and foremost.

Edit.
Okay. Working my way through this flying thread now and see The Redneck already has told it the way it is. Damn those corporations and their devious money making methods
edit on 1-4-2011 by Tallone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
Got someone working on this translation right now if it's still wanted...

Yes it is... thanks

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
reply to post by zorgon

Both sound and light are constant speeds so there would be a 30 sec delay either way.

It's possible the sounds preceded the explosion by a 1/2 minute give or take. The question raised there is- WTF made those booms??

Maybe the broadcaster made a cheap attempt to re-synchronize the sound with the picture before the presentation aired, but went too far.

For our practical purposes, speed of light can be considered instantaneous, while speed of sound is approximately 650MPH. Increasing the distance will delay the sound more and more relative with the picture.

It would be interesting to see this video again with re-synchronized sound so that the first boom matches the first explosion. Any takers ?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
This is the closest thing to missing explosions that I've found. I'ts still dark and you can just barely see a lot of smoke, BUT then fresh explosion takes plase (nice shock effect on the camera)! I think that's when number two blows a hole into it. Reason to take this whole blurry clip would have #4 randomizing itself. Afterwards they also talk about that unit. Smoke rising from Fukushima

All points to the missing footage, but there is also things that make me doubt. The video is shot from south towards north and the first building appears intact (that would be number 4). Also the fresh plume of steam or smoke seems to originate from the turbine buildings. Let's see what you think...

The mysterious light somebody spotted from TEPCO webcam footage is an awesome find! There is an another mechanism to produce visible light from radiation besides cherenkow radiation. When ions created by a heavy radiation source (all ionizing radiation ionizes the air) meet the electron rich surroundings and neutralize, they give off UV-rays. (about 10 eV in energy) These in turn cause luminescence in nearby atoms and molecules. (By displacin valence electrons witch subsequently drop back to their original orbits, giving of 1-3 eV visible light.) This is how the northern lights work. Red is the wavelenght for oxygen and blue comes from nitrogen - familiar also from electric arcs!

The other mysterious light seen way above the plant could be explained this way also (that the Fox news clip was about).

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Cohiba please...:

top topics

<< 474  475  476    478  479  480 >>

join