It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 441.htm
<< 438  439  440    442  443  444 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Black Sheep

Flash to sound time = 3 seconds.

Sound travels at a little over 1000 fps. in air.

This places the camera at 3000 ft. by that video's sound track. Unless the laws of physics have changed drastically in the area this is absolute. The speed of sound in air is constant (+/- a few fps for humidity etc). They were either 1km out or the sound is dubbed in. As a side note helo mounted cameras do NOT have mics- all they would pick up is rotor noise which is absent from the original video.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

if you watch the video carefully you can actually see the roof go up in the air and then land back on the building.

The orange color might be from incomplete combustion ( there is almost certainly a lack of oxygen which is probably the limiting agent in the blasts effective power )

There is some uncertainty as to whether or not the generators were "forgotton" , damaged or simply abandoned as hopeless .

a number of issues support this starting with CHakotay's observations about molten glass and boron, and continuing with a number of know problems with the reactor cores themselves ( know design and safety flaws ), no the least of which is that they were considered too small for excessive thermal expansion in the case of emergency overheating, and given that MOX heats up faster this is a very large factor indeed

And I agree with redneck on the radiation it is like spitting , but as the old saying goes spit in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first,

and the plant is still spewing at least according to ZAMG

edit on 30-3-2011 by Silverlok because: *smack* (sucking knuckles) sorry sister mary

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Good advice, but I want to add: do NOT take fresh kelp (or any plant species that contains iodine) at this time. If you have or can get kelp that is older, it will work great, but there are reports of kelp already showing elevated levels of I-131. If you eat kelp without the I-131, it will supply your iodine intake need and you won't absorb as much from other sources, but if you eat kelp with I-131, you have just ingested a goodly amount of I-131 (far more than you will get in milk, since kelp is a better natural concentrator and the seawater along the coasts also acto concentrate rainwater contamination).

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

I kind of see the cores like one of those water rockets , the mark one is know to have a flange issue that allows a rapid release of pressure , but other wise I agree with you

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
btw way your piece is beautiful - heavy glow.

That piece was from the web... mine is an art deco nude statue...
but I did get rid of the rest,,, if you can borrow a geiger counter you will see why. Funny though, we never knew that before... that they were that hot. The bright green ones are the hottest. If I recall the blue has cobalt salts in it

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

If the cooling system has collapsed at Tokai, how will we not see another Fukushima occur? That's the whole reason this mess mostly occured, they forgot to fill up the diesel generators. Sure other reactors may have better containment systems but they're obviously not foolproof, I highly doubt can 99% contain radioactive materials during emergency venting and a meltdown.

That' a good question hopefully it remains academic
edit on 30-3-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
www3.nhk.or.jp...

Soil checked for radiation before rice planting

Japan's agriculture ministry is to check soil around the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant for radiation, before the start of rice planting next month.

Levels of radioactive cesium-137 as high as 2,200 times the normal figure have been detected in soil about 40 kilometers northwest of the plant.

Cesium-137 stays in the environment for a long time, as it has a half-life of 30 years.

The agriculture ministry is preparing to check soil of 150 paddies located more than 30 kilometers from the plant.
Inspectors are to examine samples of soil 15 centimeters underground for radioactive cesium.

The ministry plans to study how much cesium rice plants would take in from contaminated soil, draw up guidelines on the level of contamination allowed for rice growing, and release the results by mid-April.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 16:39 +0900 (JST)

Unbelievable.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Yes, this is true----I should probably distinguish that in my Facebook post, as those people won't know to think about it. That would be awful! But I'm pretty sure that what's available on the market right now as dried, pulverized kelp will be at least a few weeks, if not a few months old. Harvesting, drying, packaging, shipment, re-processing to powder, repackaging, reshipping, processing again to encapsulate, repackage, reship, etc. That will delay the supply a bit.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

1) Kelp
By taking kelp every day, you can support your thyroid's healthy function, beyond radiation concerns.

Seaweed and algae? BLEH gimme that 'hot' milk any day

OH BTW doesn't kelp grow in the Pacific?

Radioactive seaweed found in Vancouver, CA — “As of now, the levels we’re seeing are not harmful”: Nuclear physicist
March 28th, 2011 at 05:03 PM
enenews.com...

Okay so "As of now" it's not harmful... BUT can you still use it to block intake of Iodine -131 when it contains iodine -131

yeah right... "not immediately harmful to health" Now where have I heard THAT before?

edit on 30-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Black Sheep

You were doing good up until #6...

It is not possible for the fuel in a nuclear plant to produce a nuclear blast. The enrichment is far far too low. What we saw was likely a hydrogen gas explosion, with the hydrogen being a result of decomposition of the cladding in the fuel rods.

Now, trying to catch up with this thread, someone pointed out that there was an exit hole in one of the overhead shots and I agree. It is completely possible that that was caused by a steam explosion as the corium became poolium (had to use that word at least once!
) and flowed out into standing water. the steam would flash into steam fast enough to create quite a powerful explosion. That could have even been the trigger for the hydrogen; it can spontaneously ignite, but it is difficult.

Of course, that means we are farther into a nuclear meltdown that we even realized.

And yes, it was a 'dirty bomb'... defined as a conventional explosion with nuclear material acting as radioactive 'shrapnel'.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

If I remember correctly the Brunswick plant in NC did a test where at 70psi the flange would lift off and vent compressed air used for the test so the test standard was lowered.

I am not discounting catastrophic failure of the RPV and the lid blowing off- I am discounting the BS soundtrack. It is damning enough visually and monkeying around with it and putting it on YouTube simply does not help get the truth out.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

LOL, I agree, but you'd have to spend 24 hours a day drinking milk to equal the amount you get in one 500 mg capsule of kelp. Much less time-consuming and fattening!

No, kelp won't be safe once they've harvested it from the Pacific post-March 11th. But what you can buy right now is most likely from prior to that date. You might want to snatch it up now if you're interested in it, because yeah......won't be safe for very long.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SDoradus
Betafite = uranium ore.

Yeah neat looking crystals... worth a good buck now. I spent years digging up stuff, many radioactives...

At one site there is a natural spring... I saw a few people filling up their canteen. I mentioned to that group that they were on an old uranium mine... you sure you want to drink that? Since then the Government of Ontario has capped that spring with cement and posted warnings.

One would think a rock hound would know better...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

The half-life is 8 days, but that is not how long traces will remain. If you have, say, 20 grams of I-131, after 8 days you will only have 10 grams. After 16 days you will have 5 grams. After 24 days you will have 2 1/2 grams. And after 32 days (a whole month) you will still have over a gram.

Did you just accuse a redneck of knowing too much?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SDoradus
Dose (sp) ;-) anyone have other forums to recommend covering this topic?

There are other forums?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437

If I remember correctly the Brunswick plant in NC did a test where at 70psi the flange would lift off and vent compressed air used for the test so the test standard was lowered.

I am not discounting catastrophic failure of the RPV and the lid blowing off- I am discounting the BS soundtrack. It is damning enough visually and monkeying around with it and putting it on YouTube simply does not help get the truth out.

That's the one I saw as I understand it the 'fix' was over-tightening, do you think the sound was tinkered with to make assumptions about core beach harder ?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Yeah, but you're on ATS... we have people (including me, lol) that will decide fresh is better and wade out to pick some.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

The sound is 100% utter, total and complete BS based on the helos (known) distance from the blast.

Either that or sound has suddenly started traveling at 10,000fps instead of 1000fps (OK it's a little over 1000fps but an even grand looks nicer LOL)

As a side note I used to live in Wilmington and was a police officer in Brunswick County.... with one of these MK I BWR's less than 20 miles away and never gave it much thought until a few years ago

I admit- I was a sheep but I have seen the light

edit on 30-3-2011 by SFA437 because: add'l info

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

No, I do not think the law of physics changed. I do not believe any cameras were in the 3km distance at that time. After further consideration, I believe the video was dubbed in.

Thanks for the comment.

BlackSheep

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Yikes, good point.
Well, natural selection and whatnot, eh?
Man, if they could stand the ride or walk home with a bucketful of fresh stinky seaweed, more power to them. They're probably too tough for the I-131 to make it past their tiger blood in the first place!

top topics

<< 438  439  440    442  443  444 >>

join