It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 421.htm
<< 418  419  420    422  423  424 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

OK, that deserves a star.... anything that will filter out the I-131 will work.

Good idea!

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Precisely why I bought the powdered milk. Add reverse osmosis water, and you're good.

Would water from a water softner work?

www.waterboss.com...

Also I live in Upsate New York with two kids who love milk, should I stop them drinking milk or are we OK for now?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Hello thread contributors, damn fine job putting this together
I'm only on page 345 at the moment, but I have a question I want to bring up to a few of you..All of this talk in the news finally over the radioactive iodine being released into the ocean, etc.

We are aware the levels of radioactive iodine is roughly a thousand times normal near the plant. I am concerned we are being misled with this information. With the half-life of said iodine being 8 days and this multiple meltdown

having been going on for weeks now. What do you figure the levels of iodine we are being given have come from testing done after a good portion has decayed past it's half-life?

Again
for the hard work here

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
News just posted...

Radiation levels as high as 300 millisieverts per hour were detected near the entrance to the trench at the No. 2 reactor. Radiation levels at the No. 1 and No. 3 reactors have reached between 0.8 and 1 millisievert per hour.

The shafts from the trenches are about 50 to 70 meters from the ocean. The possibility of radioactive water leaking into the ocean has not been ruled out.

Workers have been piling up dirt around the trenches to prevent them from spilling over. TEPCO workers began piling more dirt around the entrance to the shaft at the No. 1 reactor from Monday. Pools of contaminated water, between 0.4 and 1.5 meters in depth, are still obstructing work in the basements of the reactors' turbine buildings. www.asahi.com...

Article states workers have been piling up dirt...however I can not verify that workers are able to do this at the current time...

And again, my heart goes out to these workers.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

This page gives a listing of foods normally heavy in iodine, and yes, cow's milk is close to the top. Kelp, however, is far above it.

I believe he was probably factoring in the amount of the food that is consumed, which could put milk at the top of the list (I still can't believe some people eat seaweed!)... but also remember that milk is not a local product in many cases. It is shipped cross country in refrigerated trailers regularly. Only milk from contaminated areas will have contamination. Iodine can't get through the plastic jugs.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by dvrt10

Oh, and it appears Canada is completely unaffected so far.

TheRedneck

Sorry Redneck, it appears we have a small problem, but there is no threat to human health. Radioactive seaweed washes up on BC shores...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
News just posted...

Radiation levels as high as 300 millisieverts per hour were detected near the entrance to the trench at the No. 2 reactor. Radiation levels at the No. 1 and No. 3 reactors have reached between 0.8 and 1 millisievert per hour.

Hang on, something seems odd with these numbers.

Could that 0.8 and 1 actually be sievert?

If not, this would be somewhat good news at least for workers at 1 and 3 right?
edit on 29-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sameoldsameold

Hello, all. I have been lurking on this thread for several days and when I read this post about France "helping" Japan with this disaster I just had to comment. Just recently this French based company, AREVA, signed a contract with the Fukushima plant (and several other Japanese plants) to supply their nuclear needs. I think this Areva company has a vested interest in Fukushima. Which means I probably won't be able to believe a thing that comes out of their mouths. Sigh,. What else is new?

Welcome to the thread and to ATS.

What Japan needs now is some of the best minds in the nuclear field. People that have gone to university to do a degree in nuclear physics etc, spent their adult lives learning about nuclear physics etc and WORKING in the nuclear field.

Of course AREVA has a vested interest in Fukushima, as does EDF and all the other companies but who employs all these people at the top of their field?? Who pays them the most money?? The nuclear power companies.

If they don't tell us every single detail then fine, I just want this mess sorted out and as many people with the best minds in the business to be allowed in there. Japan has let it's pride go way too far this time, they always help out other countries in disasters,never making a scene and they are facing up to the fact now that they need to ask for help.

Do I think they will save Japan from even more disaster? I have no idea but I will take any glimmer of hope with both hands at the moment because I can't stand the thought of all them Japanese people suffering anymore than what they already have done.

And I would personally like to apologise to the people of Japan on behalf of my country for sending all those spent fuel rods to France to be made into mox and I wish there was some way I could take it back but I can't and now I have to sit and watch the horror that we do to each other and to our planet.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

JAPAN'S government has admitted its safeguards were insufficient to protect a nuclear plant against the earthquake and tsunami that crippled the facility and caused it to spew radiation, and it has vowed to overhaul safety standards.

You don't say?

I mean, that's like saying that the ocean is full of water and that space is big. I mean come on!

But it ends with this:

"We cannot let you handle the crisis," MP Yosuke Isozaki said in parliament. "We cannot let you be in charge of Japan's crisis management."

Source

Could it be that some heads are about to roll and someone is going to make something happen? I mean this is surprisingly direct for the notoriously indirect Japanese.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Doesn't that mean that the radioactive iodine is not being diluted in the Pacific Ocean as the IAEA currently claims?

Thanks to Redneck's warning I am officially off tap water as of now. I don't think my Pur water filter will filter out the Iodine-131.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

OSAKA - JAPAN is considering draping crippled reactor buildings at the Fukushima nuclear plant with a fabric to reduce radiation, and using a tanker to siphon off contaminated water, a report said on Wednesday.

The government did not explicitly confirm the report, but Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Japan's leaders and nuclear experts were discussing 'every possibility, including those mentioned in the press'.

Source

They ARE reading these threads.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Radiation level just hit 105 in Denver CO... thank you Japan!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

why would your bottled water be any more safe since its mostly filtered tap water....unless one could only purchase older production dates.....I am not saying give up but in the broad spectrum, we cant run from anything...mostly I think we fear our own mortality. Look I am not saying give up, I am saying if you have done everything you can do...let the chips land...we cant out run death we can only postpone it

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Now the truth is really starting to come out. I give it a week before this is top story again. Thank god I bought supplies early.

This may be a real doomsday scenario we are facing here.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz

Ah, see? I bought the bottled water early.

I don't expect bottled water produced now to be clean. Get your water now before it's "hot"!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

This makes sense since Denver is the mile high city( 5280 feet above sea level) so the high plains around it will get nailed.
Rock Springs Wyo where I was born at sits 9280 feet,
this could answer our question to just how high the explosion propelled the crap into the air.
Also finally our local Seattle news is taking samples of seaweed to be evaluated in Canada.
Seems our EPA has it's collective head in the sand and it's ass in the air that needs to be kicked.
Keep up the good works people and keep the faith!!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by IDBIT

I don't think a regular water softener will do any good. Water softeners remove metals.

As for the milk.... I'd buy brands from the midwest or northeast if possible at least. Avoid brands from California (eve if they do have happy cows
) for now, until the health authorities can gear up for checking.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by Destinyone

This page gives a listing of foods normally heavy in iodine, and yes, cow's milk is close to the top. Kelp, however, is far above it.

I believe he was probably factoring in the amount of the food that is consumed, which could put milk at the top of the list (I still can't believe some people eat seaweed!)... but also remember that milk is not a local product in many cases. It is shipped cross country in refrigerated trailers regularly. Only milk from contaminated areas will have contamination. Iodine can't get through the plastic jugs.

TheRedneck

This is true, but let's put it in perspective: the list goes kelp, yogurt, cow's milk. Kelp has about 100 times more iodine than milk in terms of nutrient density-----but is also consumed by Americans at probably 10,000 times lower amounts than milk products. Kelp isn't a part of almost everything consumed in the US; milk and whey are. You factor in concentrations of consumption, like drinking 1 cup of milk (about 59 mcg of iodine) as opposed to eating maybe 4 ounces of cheese (about 1/2 cup) which gives you about 40 mcg of iodine. That's lots more, because of the loss of moisture.

I'm not saying dairy is the most dangerous in terms of concentration of I-131, but rather *realistic* exposure chances from average consumption.

And really,

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
France and US to help Japan (US sending robots to check reactors).

www.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz

If it's filtered, it's probably safe or at least far safer than unfiltered tap water. Filtration will, indeed, remove the I-131 and many(?) other radioactive contaminants.

new topics

top topics

<< 418  419  420    422  423  424 >>

join