It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 388.htm
<< 385  386  387    389  390  391 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
I've been reading about the TMI accident where half of the core melted. But I haven't been able to find an explanation to why the core only partially melted, does anyone know what stopped the process?
They lost cooling for a period of time at TMI, but were able to get it going again before the melting core could breach the reactor pressure vessel. They had sufficient cooling water to take away the heat of the reaction, apparently it was very close to getting away from them, they got lucky (or the engineers that designed it knew what they were doing).

When in normal operation, the water in both the primary and secondary loops must take away more heat than what the decay heat amounts to after a shutdown. The main problem with a meltdown is that the fuel forms a glob that has much less surface area than the fuel rods do in their original configuration, causing heat exchange problems. That is where the luck came in, they were able to get sufficient cooling to the core before the glob got too big.
Then there is the issue of criticality.
edit on 28-3-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Well spotted. and there are three other guys at 0:37.....I wonder just how protective those white paper suits are. They may be OK in an auto paint spray booth but feet away from neutron beams! I'm not sure. I guess they've had a years worth of exposure already and so have a kamikaze attitude!

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
Where are our world leaders in this crisis? The longer this goes on, the more I find it insane that our world leaders are not front and center in leading the charge to help.

Simple theoretical answer:

No one in governments or in the Nuclear industry wants to share any blame in all of this, they want to be able to claim (no matter how it goes) that it was not the fault of the Reactor design, but that it was incompetence and mishandling of the incident(s) at Fukushima by TEPCO, and by the Japanese government.

Simple... NO ONE outside of Japan wants any kind of culpability, blame or to be in any way perceived as complicit in this disaster... In fact it seems that many washed their hands of this in the early days of it, meaning that they had already likely fully understood how this could end and wanted no part of it. Plausible deniability is far more important now than saving lives.

That said, I have been involved in this from the beginning and have desperately been searching for and hoping for a manageable end to this crisis, so much so that I was willing to take any positive news and run with it, mainly because I know what a 'worst case' here means... So far, this crisis seems to be heading rapidly to a worst case, and out of control... If radiation levels get so high that no one can occupy the site, no one can work there, or from above in aircraft then the worst will happen... I just didn't want to believe that was possible, but with each passing hour now it seems more likely.... ALL there is now is hope, and prayers if you are so inclined...

Just my thoughts on this.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by monica86

It must be exhaustion from NOT telling the truth..........

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Would that British freelance reporter have gone in their if he knew he had Pu-239 all over his jacket, boots and lungs!

I guess he should have waited till the soil tests results were announced. Poor guy. The clip hasn't even made the mainstream news in the UK....Well I guess it'll pay for his air fare back to a NHS hospital!

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I think a lot of people feel the same way.No one wants worst case scenario. Unfortunately, that's what we have. As dedicated as the Japanese people are,they have to take responsibility,and have to try their damnedest in averting anymore problems.I can totally see people making the ultimate sacrifice,and I say it with sincerity,if they haven't already,while staying on the site,trying to cool these things down. We need the World to get behind the Japanese,great minds to get behind this,to try and help.For humanity's sake.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
af.reuters.com/article/metalsNews/idAFLDE72R1SU20110328

Plutonium's origin - 1 week ago.

(...)

TEPCO vice-president Sakae Muto told journalists at the company's latest briefing that test results showing the plutonium came from samples taken a week ago.

(...)

Credit for that news

Sanjur0 at www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread681423/pg1

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Good find, thats precisely why they had to admit it was possible that # 3 had a possible containment breach!

As for todays report...Plutonium found inside the plant grounds
Found mention of these three - Pu-238 -239 and -240.

Three plutonium isotopes -- Pu-238, -239 and -240 -- were found in soil at five different points inside the plant grounds, Tokyo Electric reported. It said that plutonium found in two of the samples could have come out of the reactors that were damaged by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami that ravaged northern Japan.www.cnn.com...

This is beyond absurd - "The plutonium could have come out of the reactors that were damaged???

1. What does the smoke and vapour emitted from the nuclear reactors at the plant contain?

2. What if one of the elements being discharged is plutonium,
the deadliest substance known to man -- difficult to detect???

Reactor 3 suffered significant damage after the quake and the tsunami waves on March 11th;
The roof of the building was destroyed by a powerful explosion last week caused by an accumulation of hydrogen they say.

What if the release of elements in the smoke and vapour were not just radioactive iodine, caesium and uranium but a MOX combination including plutonium?

This would explain why the workers were immediately evacuated given the deadly nature of plutonium;
Plutonium is extremely difficult to detect because it emits limited gamma rays -- unlike radioactive iodine, caesium and uranium -- and it is deadly; Plutonium release would not show up as a radiation spike;

Plutonium 239 is the deadliest element known to man;
Half-life of Plutonium-239 in MOX is 24,000 years: Few milligrams of P-239 escaping in a smoke plume will contaminate soil for tens of thousands of years
www.businessinsider.com...

edit on 28-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
... neve rmind ...
... deleted this reply ...
... I was reading the original post wrong ...

edit on 2011-3-28 by EnhancedInterrogator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Scary video... basically saying that the Japs are not up to solving this thing.

Body Containing High Levels of Radiation Found near Fukushima Plant

A body was found yesterday containing high levels of radiation in the town of Ookuma-cho, about 5 kilometers from the Fukushima Dai-ichi power plant. The Fukushima Police Department received a report of an unidentified body laying outdoors in the area. About 15 policemen dressed in protective gear went to the area.

Since the police detected dangerous levels of radiation, they decided not to take the body back with them, according to NHK. The police did not disclose the level of radiation.

edit on 28-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
...ripples get bigger...not smaller...

DEVELOPING: TOKYO -- Workers discovered new pools of radioactive water leaking from Japan's crippled nuclear complex, officials said Monday, as emergency crews struggled to pump out hundreds of tons of contaminated water and bring the plant back under control.

++++Hundreds of tons of contaminated water+++ hmmmm, wonder where they plan on putting it?

Officials believe the contaminated water has sent radioactivity levels soaring at the coastal complex and caused more radiation to seep into soil and seawater. Crews also found traces of plutonium in the soil outside of the complex on Monday, but officials insisted there was no threat to public health.

Plutonium -- a key ingredient in nuclear weapons -- is present in the fuel at the complex, which has been leaking radiation for over two weeks, so experts had expected some to be found once crews began searching for evidence of it this week.

AND...mind boggling, It's been leaking for 2 weeks, and they just now test for plutonium.

Tokyo Electric Power Co. official Jun Tsuruoka said only two of the plutonium samples taken Monday were from the leaking reactors. The other three were from earlier nuclear tests. Years of weapons testing in the atmosphere left trace amounts of plutonium in many places around the world.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

edit on 03/28/2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Fukushima Daiichi's seventh and eighth reactors will be finished in October 2013 and 2014, a year later than planned, the utility said today. The company may have to report safety breaches in addition to a possible chain reaction during a shutdown three decades ago, said President Tsunehisa Katsumata.

Say what? They ACTUALLY BELIEVE that this will get solved and that they'll be able to run the plant ever again? Are they insane?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I think what you are seeing is the MSM throwing as many conflicting reports and concepts at you as you can handle. Eventually by riding this roller coaster you will end up NOT CARING. The point of getting you to a point of not caring or not trusting what is happening is to ensure you get back to work and invest and do all the other things you normally would do.

Most people are not ATS people. They look on and after they see conflicting reports like this they drop the subject and say "stupid media". The fallback is of course, trust your .GOV so the plan works out brilliantly for the most part.

ATS people are "freaks" and that is why .GOV .MIL etc etc absolutely "love" the fact we herd ourselves in here. When I say freaks I truly mean people capable of critical thought and by love I mean control group.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Thanks. From following this thread it seems to me that several posters are under the impression that once nuclear fuel rods have started to melt the process is unstoppable. There's no such thing as a partial meltdown yet that's what happened at TMI. Confusing to say the least.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Sorry I did not make myself clearer. What I meant was that the reason Japan is still releasing so little information is because the government and TEPCO are in fact one entity.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRemedial

I see your point of view, and will agree with you partially. I do think that MSM is finally +catching up+, to what we so called +freaks+, have been posting about for two weeks. They are also, following the ratings. In light of that, I'm very glad to see the crisis in Japan, get as much media coverage as possible, for whatever reasons. This info NEEDS to get out. I still hold on to the belief that people can think, can make judgments, but only when they have the information to do so.

Thank You for your reply. I appreciate notice of my freakish nature. Plus, you wrote a damn good reply!

Des

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SDoradus

They wouldn't develop the weapons to attack, but just to defend themselves in the event of a war. What do you think?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Here's another "sync-up" on the latest available press releases (most recent first, some possibly already posted previously):

Latest IAEA updates: [Link]

Latest TEPCO releases:
  • Plant Status of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (as of 8:30 PM Mar 28th) [English]
  • Status of TEPCO's Facilities and its services after Tohoku-Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake (as of 4:00PM) [English]

Latest JAIF releases (in English):

• Reactor Status and Major Events Update 43 - NPPs in Fukushima as of 20:00 March 28 [English]

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
reply to post by butcherguy

Thanks. From following this thread it seems to me that several posters are under the impression that once nuclear fuel rods have started to melt the process is unstoppable. There's no such thing as a partial meltdown yet that's what happened at TMI. Confusing to say the least.
Yeah, I got that impression from posters overnight.

With the condition of the equipment, controls and instrumentation at Fukushima, I tend to think that the meltdown may be unstoppable. I really doubt that they had much effect with their attempts at cooling, and we can't believe anything that they say.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The plutonium could have possibly come from the spent fuel pool could it have not? I was under the impression that spent MOX fuel was in their spent fuel pool, but I could be wrong.

If it is possible that the plutonium came from the spent fuel then maybe #3 does not have a breech, and maybe the spent fuel is providing the majority of radiation.

Just a thought.

Pred...

top topics

<< 385  386  387    389  390  391 >>

join