It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 387.htm
<< 384  385  386    388  389  390 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
On NHK website now about the trench.

Radioactive water in external tunnels The operator of the damaged nuclear power plant in Fukushima, northeastern Japan, has reported that very high levels of radiation have been observed in water in a trench just outside the turbine building for one of the reactors. Tokyo Electric Power Company announced on Monday that a puddle of water was found in a trench outside the No. 2 reactor turbine building at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant on Sunday afternoon. It said the radiation reading on the puddle's surface indicated more than 1,000 millisieverts per hour. The concrete trench is 4 meters high and 3 meters wide and houses power cables and pipes. It is located in the compound of the plant but outside the radiation control area. TEPCO says the trench extends 76 meters toward the sea but does not reach the sea, and that the contaminated water was not flowing into the sea. TEPCO says it is trying to find out how the contaminated water came to be in the trench. Radiation levels of more than 1,000 millisieverts per hour were recorded on Sunday in a puddle of water in the basement of the No. 2 reactor turbine building. Puddles of water were also found in the trenches outside the No. 1 and No. 3 reactors. TEPCO reported 0.4 millisieverts of radiation on the surface of the puddle in the No. 1 reactor's trench. But it said it failed to measure the No. 3 reactor's trench because it was covered with debris. Monday, March 28, 2011 21:09 +0900 (JST)

NHK

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
New Thermal images from the MOD on 3/28.

Anybody know what being 3000ft away does to the readings?

Googlish Translation

Measurement Date: March 28, 0733-0757
Climate and Weather: Sunny Temperature: ℃ 2 (Soma City, Fukushima Prefecture, 7:00)
High level: approximately 3,000 ft (about 900m) Using helicopters: CH-47 (group 1 GSDF helicopter)
Equipment used: NEC / Avio Infrared Thermography
Shooting range: approx approximately 170m × 130m (@ 3,000 ft)
Temperature range: 0 ~ ℃ 500
Lens: telephoto lens Power source: CH-47 airborne power usage

The first reactor (radiation temperature measurement of best 5 times)
Reactor 1
Maximum radiation temperature: ℃ 32
Temperature Display 0 ~ ℃ 35
Technical Research and Development Institute shooting ℃ 32 on containment
Spent fuel storage ℃ 19 on the pool

Reactor No. 2 (the maximum radiation temperature measurement of 5)
Maximum radiation temperature: ℃ 24

Reactor No. 3 (maximum radiation temperature measurement of four)
Temperature Display 0 ~ ℃ 70
Spent fuel storage On the pool: ℃ 59
On containment: ℃ 22
Maximum radiation temperature: ℃ 59

Reactor No. 4 (the maximum radiation temperature measurement of four)
For spent fuel storage On the pool: ℃ 32
Maximum radiation temperature: ℃ 32

Oh, and I found that new video I posted yesterday.
Its on the MOD's Youtube Channel.

Found that after I found the MOD's Twitter Account

edit on 3/28/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MissTiger

more than 1,000 millisieverts per hour.

They don't like to deal in specific figures much, do they?

Especially when the numbers don't look good.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I finally got a breaking new's update on the radio about the Fukushima Nuclear disaster today.
"Authorities taking action over a Fukushima Analyst giving incorect readings from the water outside the Fukushima powerplant, the levels are more around 100 times the normal level rather then 10 million times"

First bit of MSM news I have heard about the whole ordeal in last few days...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by MissTiger

more than 1,000 millisieverts per hour.

They don't like to deal in specific figures much, do they?

Especially when the numbers don't look good.

Do you think the "more than" has something to do with what I said earlier about their meters not being able to read anything above that level?? That actually the reality is way off the scale!

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The news on the ticker on kyodo news is that plutonium has been detected in the soil at Fukushima nuke plant - no details of levels or when tested english.kyodonews.jp...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Where are our world leaders in this crisis? The longer this goes on, the more I find it insane that our world leaders are not front and center in leading the charge to help. It's like they have all hit the ignore button on Japan. It is unforgivable - our leaders are not only letting the people of Japan down, they are letting the world down. How can there be such a disconnect?

I have about had it with the press conference approach to disasters. We live in the age of reality television. Put a stupid game mic on these "players" and make them go live 24/7 so that important information can be shared among our world's experts and non-expert thinkers. There is no excuse in our virtual world for us to still follow the old model of "we will update you at the next news conference." Embed the outside experts and reporters in this disaster. GAME MIC them.

I have to ask the question now that we are so far into this thread and disaster: Understanding that hindsight is 20/20 - does anyone see a point or points at which different decisions in the handling of this crisis could have saved us from where we are now? For example: when the offer of fresh water was first rebuffed and sea water was chosen as the course of action? Has TEPCO's isolationist approach to this disaster made it a worse disaster? Could some of this disaster have been averted or was the beginning already the end? We can all see where this thing is headed even at a minimum. The radiation is there and some of it is there to stay.

The world is quickly creating a history where the perpetrators of these disasters are the one's in charge of the crime scene from BP to TEPCO? How can the world and our leaders stand aside? What happened to that team of experts who were supposedly heading in from the U.S. days ago. Where are their updates?

The regulatory agencies have to have some clause that allows them to step in and assume command and control of the situation when it becomes this bad. They are not acting as regulators - they are acting as co-conspirators. Seriously, at some point you have to question our leader's - all of our leaders' - motives.

It is time we, the "little people" of the world demand a new level of access to information in any and all crisis. The old news conference model no longer works, nor is it even necessary with technology available today.

I hear the television reality show "Jersey Shore" has wrapped for the season. How about filling the time slot with the show "Live from Reactor 2" -
By what right do these doors remain closed?

Long rant ended. Sorry for spreading this toxic waste to the fine folks following this thread and also thinking about solutions with little to no official information to work with. It has been an honor. If only our world worked more like this thread....

Peace.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The IRSN has just published , in the last half hour or so, they latest assessment , dated 28th of march.

As I did last week, I will translate just relevant bits:

www.irsn.fr...

-The situation at Reactors n1, n2 and n3 is very critical due to contaminated water in the turbine buildings coming from the reactors (as proven by the presence of Iodine) . It is likely isotopes will keep escaping into the atmosphere.

-the control rooms at 1 and 2 have electricity. They are still verifying their operability. The operation was aborted at n.3 due to workers injuries.

-They state, I quote, that "enormous" quantities of contaminated water are present in the buildings. In addiion contaminated water is also outside the buildings near n.2 and n.3

-water measurements confirm their prior suspicion of leaks in the containment vessel or the cooling pipes for reactors n.2 and 3

- There is 1.5 meters of water in the turbine building at n.3
-they judge that the contaminated water at n.3 brings to light the fact that there are "important leaks" of water coming from the reactor tank.
-The highly contaminated water at n.2 could come from the torus which seems to have been highly damaged by the explosion on the 15th of march. They are trying to find a way to drain the water (there is 1 meter of water in the turbine building)

-reactors are being cooled using fresh water

edit on 28-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I am certain that if I was pumping radioactive chlorine into the ocean that takes 300,000 years to disappear, the MSM would make a pretty big deal of it. If a corporation does it, no mention of the story.

Has anyone seen a reference in the MSM to the amounts of radioactive chlorine released and the very long half-life it has? Maybe I missed it.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by checkmeout

Great news checkmeout. I have posted the link for other readers. With this plutonium measurement, the MOX admission and the thermal images I suspect someone is looking at this thread and others on the net.....

When people suggested MOX dust pellets had been blasted high into the atmosphere many laughed. The question is would there have been plutonium from a U 235 conventional explosion anyway....Maybe just not as much.

Can anyone scale up the reactor 3 explosion so we can see how high the plume went. as far as I can remember it went out of camera shot it was so high!!

Now the next stage is to convince them that breathing it in is bad even 200km away from Fukishima.

english.kyodonews.jp...

"URGENT: Plutonium detected in soil at Fukushima nuke plant: TEPCO

TOKYO, March 28, Kyodo

Plutonium has been detected in soil at five locations at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Monday.

The operator of the nuclear complex said that the plutonium is believed to have been discharged from nuclear fuel at the plant, which was damaged by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

==Kyodo"
edit on 28-3-2011 by Procharmo because: Adding info

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Procharmo

"URGENT: Plutonium detected in soil at Fukushima nuke plant: TEPCO
Thanks, been waiting for that. I am surprised that they admitted it.

Bad news for the world, very bad news for the people of Japan.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by checkmeout
The news on the ticker on kyodo news is that plutonium has been detected in the soil at Fukushima nuke plant - no details of levels or when tested english.kyodonews.jp...

"Monitoring to be strengthened"? It looks like we knew about the plutonium a long time before Tepco did

NEWS ADVISORY: Not known which reactor plutonium came from: agency (00:36)
NEWS ADVISORY: Monitoring to be strengthened after plutonium detected at Fukushima plant: agency (00:34)

edit on 28-3-2011 by Moonbeams771 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
New Report:

ABC News reporter confronts Tepco officials at Tepco headquaters....great video, he should be on ATS.

abcnews.go.com...

Des

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I spy with my little eye...

What looks like 3 people walking near reactor 2 at 0:25 in the video I posted here

Just sayin...
edit on 3/28/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

He also says that The head of operations has been removed from the head of the command centre suffering from exhaustion...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Why doesn't it occur to the people in Tokyo that their government has excellent reasons to not give them accurate data?

Just the fact that nobody wants to take on 34 million new people is more than enough reason for them to stall like crazy. Just the fact that Japan itself doesn't have the infrastructure to support moving that many people somewhere else is enough.

The people themselves are a liability at this point. The more they delay action, the more that that 30-40 million people become a bigger liability by having increased health issues now, and through out the remainder of their lives. Their health costs alone are enough to make the government down play this.

Every minute that passes, the reasons to lie become stronger and deeper in breadth.

A tsunami of people with increased health problems for the rest of their life is more than enough reason for them to sacrifice them.
edit on 2011/3/28 by Aeons because: Bad Numbers!

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I've been reading about the TMI accident where half of the core melted. But I haven't been able to find an explanation to why the core only partially melted, does anyone know what stopped the process?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Procharmo

Robin Marks posted this link in his thread here and I think it bears on what you have in mind.

This article talks about how there are different types of events that drive discussions throughout the Internet.

The basis of the argument was used, quite effectively, to affect a change if action within the natural gas industry. Anyone who has followed the Arkansas Quake Thread will be familiar with what has been happening with frac'ing and how it has been linked to earthquakes. They will also know that due in large part to the participants of that thread, an actual change of operations was brought about.

Two injection wells that had been in operation for some time had been discontinued. Almost immediately, the earthquake swarm started dropping off in activity, though the 'authorities' still saythat the evidence is inconclusive as to whether or not the halting of injection could be correlated to the slowing of the earthquakes.

Regardless, if this idea (endogenic driving of thebblogosohere) is as powerful as it seems to be, then we migt be able to make something happen.

I suggested in the Arkansas thread that we 'ATS-ify' the rest of the Internet by posting comments and links in the same fashion as is happening in this thread. By driving the discussion within the blogosphere, more and more of those who watch those things will begin to pick up on the themes that are in circulation. In this way, certain topics will begin to filter into the MSM and eventually even the most dense and mind-numbed sheeple will eventually start to open their eyes.

So, what does everyone think?

Possible or a waste of time?
edit on 28-3-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Typos

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This is very bad news, especially for Japan.

Pu-239 has a half life of 24,000 years. Its virtually insoluable, and particles breathed into the body
are retained in the lung, the body being slow to be able to rid itself over a years time, still half of it remains to be moved into the lymph nodes, organs and bone marrow.

Pu-239 causes tumors.

Otherwise known as cancer.

Plutonium emits alpha radiation and low-energy x-rays, which are easily absorbed by tissue. The alpha radiation travels only about a quarter of an inch in air and cannot penetrate the skin. Therefore, if plutonium remains outside the body, it is generally not harmful. Plutonium is very toxic if it enters into the body because the alpha radiation can damage living tissue. The larger the "dose" in the body, the greater the toxicity.

Human exposure occurs mainly by breathing contaminated air or ingesting contaminated food or drink. Breathing is generally the route of most concern. When plutonium particles are inhaled and lodge in lung tissue, they continue to give off radiation internally. They can remain in the lungs or enter the gastrointestinal tract and the bloodstream. About 80 percent of the plutonium that enters the bloodstream goes either to the liver, bone or bone marrow, where it is retained for years, damaging tissue nearby. That damage may later develop into cancer. Common forms of plutonium do not dissolve significantly in water or body fluids, so little ingested material is actually absorbed into the blood from the gastrointestinal tract.
www.cdphe.state.co.us...

edit on 28-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 384  385  386    388  389  390 >>

join