It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 384.htm
<< 381  382  383    385  386  387 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
yes I do as a matter of fact.
Apparently you know how to read.
With that ability in hand, have you read about TMI?
And still deny that there was a partial meltdown of ther core?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
The problem we face is that in every Nuclear accident the true information comes out years later.

The MO is to down play the situation.

Spitting Image hit the nail on the head when Chernobyl happend. They even mention Libya!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Sorry, it sounds to me like you're engaging in little more than speculative fiction at this point. But hey, you're in Alabama, I'm just some guy in Japan. I'm willing to bet that in a year from now, I'll still be here posting. You?

Do you my friend have your life bought?
have you signed a contract determining the date of your death?

if so I would like to be represented by your agent, fact of the matter no one really knows what is going on because what we get as breaking news and official reports turn out to be half repeated has-beens.

They are not telling the whole truth and half reporting of the severity of the official claims, even international agencies have contested Japans authorities claims of safety, right on this very thread it was deduced by the collective know how of the few that know what they are talking about, (discerning the hay from the wheat so to speak) , that meltdown had occurred, guess what the official tale said this was not so untill they had to admit it.

Fear sucks, and being in Japan during a media blackout on the eve of the most catastrophic event modern history has recorded must feel awful, but dont be afraid, be educated take all points of view, and most importantly, take everything you HEAR with a grain of salt, and even more so, what you READ.

Not believing does not mean not preparing, and even so, death can take us even in our sleeps, hell man, people have died because of orgasms, that should settle any deadly disputes in my book, the secret mysteries of the universe are not for us to understand, we just have to flow and adapt, the bamboo sways and bends in the strongest winds, or so they say!

BTW, I havnt been to Japan, but I have been to Alabama, and I can bet you can find the same amount of decent helpful friendly folk as you can in Japan, and that you will find the same amount of S of Bches, and A*holes that you will find in Japan in Alabama as well, so what is the meaning of your words?

from a natural biosphere perspective, there is no comparing, every place in the bosom of my Mother Earth is beautiful, because one cannot compare red from white roses, as both are the same...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Did anyone catch that they were building two more reactors at Fukushima Daiichi:

In March 2008,Tokyo Electric Power Company announced that the start of operation of four new nuclear power reactors would be postponed by one year due to the incorporation of new earthquake resistance assessments. Units 7 and 8 of the Fukushima Daiichi plant would now enter commercial operation on October 2014 and October 2015, respectively.

Unit 1 of the Higashidori plant is now scheduled to begin operating in December 2015, while unit 2 will startup in 2018 at the earliest.

LINK

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
sorry I had a double post

edit on 28-3-2011 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by IDBIT

I believe that you can't know exactly what is happening in a nuclear accident such as the one that is occurring now until some time after it has occurred, the data has to be collected, the isotope ratios have to be measured and plotted over time, it all has to be crunched and daughter isotopes calculated, then reviewed it for mistakes. The example of the incorrect I-134 isotope publication shows that we can't know without error exactly what is going on in the reactor as it happens.

For example no soul has opened an inspection hatch and looked at the control rods underneath the reactor pressure vessel. Eventually someone (or a robot) will have to do that to figure out if there is a puddle of molten goo, until then it's only speculation (and calculation).

I don't believe that they are hiding information, I do believe that they can't believe the numbers that they have seen, after all they have believed for years that this can't happen and that it's perfectly safe. There is a bit of cognitive dissonance to overcome first.

Cognative Dissonance

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Hey, I feel what you feel! but I take it differently!
I take this as a real opportunity in being better by giving it all I´ve got in everything I do, I strive to reach my full potential, and I feel that all I needed was "verification" of some sorts that all we have and all we do is meaningless in a universal perspective, I mean this earthquake-tsunami-nuclear tragedy CAN NOT BE worse to the clashing of Galaxies out there, but that to us would in itself be meaningless as the time referential and scale of the phenomenon has no proper correspondence to what be use as frame of reference to "gage" material reality and the current timespace.

This for me is a race to the finish with favorable winds! Away with the sadness and misunderstandings, not holding grudges not hating, just as I have mentioned before, experiencing life with the intensity of the one that is fully aware that time is running out, and that every unnecessary act is a WASTE of my energy and my wellbeing.
We are not alone, we have humanity to rely on, unfortunately, we have been led to believe otherwise, but the common folk like us while almost completely oblivious to the "big picture" ran behind curtains, is well intentioned and overall just wants to be left alone with its loved ones, well, we should at least try to set the example, there is hope if we change, because the system appears damaged beyond repair.

Some will survive, and hopefully, create a better perspective for humankind. We did fall divided, who would have thought of that?? probably the folks that built the darn plant near the coastline on top of a mayor tectonic fault!

edit on 28-3-2011 by TheOneEyedProphet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bitbytebit

If asking for details of your assertion that I am wrong is being "antagonistic" then guilty as charged.

If you have anything to back up your assertion that slow drip cannot happen in the case of these reactors, then please add that to this thread, which strives to bring all pertinent facts to light in order to inform others. If you are correct, it would be informative for myself and everyone else to understand why.

I will concede if presented with evidence I am wrong. I have done it more than a few times in this thread already, and I am perfectly willing to concede again----if you can explain to me why I should, with facts and details instead of vague assertions based solely on your own opinion.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Although I am a new member, I have something important to say:

Could the Japanese government secretly be working with TEPCO to create nuclear weapons? The reasons? They are both so secretive about the current disaster. How is it possible that such a large company like TEPCO in a democratic country can still lie to the government during a disaster? How is it possible that a rich country like Japan would still be using outdated mark 1 reactors? How can the government still be turning a half blind eye to TEPCO's problems? Although the government ordered TEPCO to tell the truth, they should be doing more, like sending in a team of scientists to the plant. In addition, Japan is the only country to have been bombed with a nuclear bomb. They would definitely be interested in nuclear weapons more than other countries.

What does everyone else think?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunrisetomorrow2011

Could the Japanese government secretly be working with TEPCO to create nuclear weapons? The reasons? They are both so secretive about the current disaster. How is it possible that such a large company like TEPCO in a democratic country can still lie to the government during a disaster? How is it possible that a rich country like Japan would still be using outdated mark 1 reactors? How can the government still be turning a half blind eye to TEPCO's problems? Although the government ordered TEPCO to tell the truth, they should be doing more, like sending in a team of scientists to the plant. In addition, Japan is the only country to have been bombed with a nuclear bomb. They would definitely be interested in nuclear weapons more than other countries.

This is a very interesting line of speculation.

It has been known for some time that Japan has the capacity to produce nuclear weapons very rapidly if need be, possibly within a few weeks. The fact that they were bombed makes even discussion of the issue taboo with the general public, but the capability is nothing new. Lots of weapons-grade plutonium in Japan.

One thing I noticed in your post -- you refer to the government and TEPCO as seperate. This is true in some senses (and true literally) but remember "Japan Inc" is a very small place and a lot of the figures in places like TEPCO drift in and out of governement appointments, etc. The line between business and government is blurry. As it is increasingly in the rest of the devloped world, I hasten to add.
edit on 3/28/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AlaskanDad

I saw that in an article I found while doing a bit of research on Tepco:

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
And yet more past problems:

March 28 (Bloomberg) -- Tokyo Electric Power Co., Asia's biggest utility, will delay completion of two nuclear reactors after admitting that an accident was covered up in 1978, the latest blow to public confidence in Japan's atomic power program.

Fukushima Daiichi's seventh and eighth reactors will be finished in October 2013 and 2014, a year later than planned, the utility said today. The company may have to report safety breaches in addition to a possible chain reaction during a shutdown three decades ago, said President Tsunehisa Katsumata.

source

And

Japan's biggest nuclear utility, Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco), admitted that it has found cracks in the pipes of two reactors that were destined to burn mixed oxide (Mox) fuel made at BNFL's Sellafield Mox Plant in Cumbria.

Details of the cracks have been kept secret for more than two years. Tepco has shut down the two reactors at Fukushima Daiichi and Kashiwazaki Kariwa and has delayed restarting them until hundreds of pipes are checked.

source

And

Aug. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Tokyo Electric Power Co., Asia's biggest power producer, said some radioactive water spilled from storage pools into ventilation systems of three nuclear reactors because of an earthquake that shook Japan two days ago.

``The amount of radiation found in the leaks was not very dangerous,'' spokesman Keiichi Yoshida said by phone today. ``In all cases, the water was easily cleaned up, and none of it escaped outside the plants.''

A total of 24.5 liters (6.5 gallons) of water leaked, the Tokyo-based utility said in a statement yesterday.

source

And

Tepco admitted the 'dishonest acts' in a press release issued in late October, During the two annual inspections at Fukushima Daiichi 1 (Fukushima I-1), plant staff knew that the containment leak rate was too high. When government inspectors carried out the leak tightness test the staff injected air via the main steam isolation valves to reduce the leak rate. Reportedly the actual rate was 2 per cent per day compared to the allowed maximum of 0.45 percent per day. By manipulating the valve, the rate was reduced to 0.12 per cent per day.

source

So it seems as though there is a long string of problems and mishandling by Tepco that is well-documented. How can anyone think than this company will be forthcoming about current problems when they have a demonstrated history of trying to cover up previous mistakes?

I think I'll go dig a little more on them because they've got plans on putting a plant in in my state.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

At the Fukushima nuclear power plant, high radioactive density detected in 3 turbine buildings may further delay work to restore the cooling systems for the overheated fuel rods.  

Japan's nuclear safety watchdog says radioactive elements from melted nuclear fuel have found their way from one of the reactors to a turbine building at the Fukushima Daiichi plant.   

www3.nhk.or.jp...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

The Japanese government said Monday highly radioactive water found in a reactor building and hindering efforts to stabilize the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear reactor was likely the result of partial meltdown that has since subsided.

Sorce

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by leisas4

Japan's nuclear safety watchdog says radioactive elements from melted nuclear fuel have found their way from one of the reactors to a turbine building at the Fukushima Daiichi plant.   

www3.nhk.or.jp...

My built in NHK bs translator tells me this means corium has leaked into the turbine building, thus possibly draining breakdown products or small parts of it in the tide. Explaining most of the ridiculously high readings in the outflow.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunrisetomorrow2011

A. No I don't think Japan is trying to develop nuclear weapons. After all they have us to protect them and we have been such a good ally to our friends of late. Iran on the other hand is developing bombs, in secret.

B. Actually the Japanese government ordered TEPCO to not release reports today unless they are absolutely certain of their results. This should slow down information a bit.

Edano warns TEPCO on mistakes

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Yonhap gives becquerel/nanoSievert readings, adding to Kyodo.

(LEAD) Minuscule traces of radioactive xenon detected in S. Korea

english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2011/03/28/75/0200000000AEN20110328007500320F.HTML

SEOUL, March 28 (Yonhap) -- Minuscule traces of radioactive xenon-133 have been detected in the northeastern part of South Korea following radiation leaks from a Japanese nuclear power plant, a state-run nuclear safety agency said Monday.

The Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety (KINS) said a detection center in the mountainous Gangwon Province had picked up the radioactive isotope that was probably released from the stricken Fukushima nuclear power station.

The highest concentration of xenon detected from Wednesday through Sunday reached 0.878 becquerel per cubic meter, equivalent to 0.00650 nanosievert (nSv) per hour, which is well below the average 150 nSv per hour radiation level found throughout South Korea.

"The concentration is so small it will have no ill-effect on people or the environment," KINS said. "Initial concentrations of xenon stood at just 0.00159 becquerel per cubic meter, but numbers started to go up slightly over the weekend."

(...)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der

Originally posted by leisas4

www3.nhk.or.jp...

My built in NHK bs translator tells me this means corium has leaked into the turbine building, thus possibly draining breakdown products or small parts of it in the tide. Explaining most of the ridiculously high readings in the outflow.

Just announced on BBC News that highly radioactive water has been found to be seeping from one of the reactor turbine buildings.
edit on 28-3-2011 by scotland48 because: missed word

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
**ALERT** 1,000+ Millisieverts per hour now detected outside of reactor 2!

URGENT: High-level radiation detected in trench outside Fukushima reactor building

High levels of radiation exceeding 1,000 millisieverts per hour were found in water in a trench outside the No. 2 reactor's turbine building at the troubled nuclear power plant in Fukushima on Sunday afternoon, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Monday.

One end of the tunnel-like trench is located about 55 meters from the shore, with the surface of the water staying about 1 meter below its ground-level hole. But no trace has been confirmed of the contaminated water having flowed into the sea, an official of the company said.

Similarly high levels of radioactivity have been found in a pool of water in the basement of the turbine building for the No. 2 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi complex, raising concerns that radioactive substances may have seeped into the environment, including the sea nearby.

The level of radiation at a similar trench for the No. 1 reactor was 0.4 millisievert per hour, the utility company said, adding that radiation could not be measured at a similar location for the No. 3 unit due to difficulty getting there.

link

Such high levels now outside- as in... out in the open. This is it. Very grave news indeed.

edit on 28-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 381  382  383    385  386  387 >>

join