It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 379.htm
<< 376  377  378    380  381  382 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by TheRedneck

Ever get the feeling you're creating reality in your mind?

This whole thing has been making me feel like we're in the Matrix, and I've never even seen that movie. This whole thing has got to be some bad dream.

I know exactly what you mean....it's like maybe if we all just stop posting...the nightmare will go away. But, I'm wide awake, and it's not a dream....

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverlok

Not to get too much off topic, but I contacted my ex-girlfriend from Nagoya, who I loved very deeply, after the earthquake to find out if she and her family were okay. She's fine in America, but she told me that she found out that her mother is half Korean. This was a shock to her and me as well!

Japanese and Korean cultures have a lot in common. I am hoping that South Korea can take in some of the refugees from Japan.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I think you feel this way because for the first time in human history we PERMANENTLY broke The Earth.

We destroyed part of "The Matrix."

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
With all of the known data out there, can a guestimate be made for when a possible steam explosion would occur?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Black Sheep

Oh, GOOD STUFF! This sounds like the very key to explain so much. And great.....more graphite in the design.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

Are they reading this thread
[/align]

TheRedneck

yes

edit on 27-3-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
"Partial meltdown" is realisticaly the equivalent of "Slightly Pregnant"!

Perhaps they mean that the fuel rods have only partially melted?

Although, without any kind of measurement available (or so the TEPCO officials have claimed), how such a cliam can be made is beyond me.

Or maybe they mean that only some of the fuel rods have melted?

But, then again, how would they know?

And if they cannot know, they should not be making such claims!

Then again, maybe they DO know, and they are simply not telling ALL that they know.

At least not to the public.

What is being told to the government may be another matter altogether.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
reply to post by Destinyone

I think you feel this way because for the first time in human history we PERMANENTLY broke The Earth.

We destroyed part of "The Matrix."

Yes...the delicate balance...is no more.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
"I think maybe the situation is much more serious than we were led to believe," said one expert, Prof Najmedin Meshkati, of the University of Southern California, adding it may take weeks to stabilize the situation and the United Nations should step in.

"This is far beyond what one nation can handle - it needs to be bumped up to the UN Security Council. In my opinion, this is more important than the Libya no-fly zone."

Professor Tetsuo Iguchi of the department of quantum engineering at Nagoya University said that at the sharply-elevated levels of radiation, workers would be able to remain on site for only about 15 minutes.

No letup in Japan's troubles

Oh, and the news from Japan just keeps getting better. The latest is that levels of radioactivity 1200 times normal have been detected in the ocean near the Fukushima nuclear plant.

Radioactive Ocean

A senior official from Japan’s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, Hidehiko Nishiyama, said the contamination posed little risk to aquatic life.

“Ocean currents will disperse radiation particles and so it will be very diluted by the time it gets consumed by fish and seaweed,” he said.

Radioactivity levels soar in Japan seawater

My personal belief is that this is going to kill off,or contaminate most of Japans fishing industry.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

A while back I mentioned that the black smoke that was rising from one of the buildings (#3 I think) could be decomposing graphite. At the time, it was believed that there was no graphite in this design; now this seems to indicate there was. It sounds believable to me because graphite is rugged, tolerates extreme heat, and has a low coefficient of friction (it's slick), making it an excellent seal material for most conditions. Under intense neutron bombardment, however, carbon can become carbon 14 through neutron absorption, which then decays by beta radiation to nitrogen... a gas.

Graphite can also burn, and that combination could lead to carbon in the smoke... black smoke. That black smoke could have been graphite after all.

Now, if that is true, that would mean the corium was able to drip out of the seal holes where the graphite once was, and the smoke marked the exit of corium from the reactor vessel.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Alright, this is my first post in the thread and I must admit to having more than a couple of drinks this evening, however:

It seems logical that if humanity faces a problem that can't be properly adressed from one estate alone.... That it becomes an issue of international security...

What my drunken ass is trying to say is that I'm pissed the ffffk off that international agencies and other highly influential countries didn't step it up from the get go.

It seemed totally logical that this would have been tbs case from day one, but ... We don't live in a sane world.

Arghhhhhh!!!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Krzyzmo

Since human intervention is a HUGE part of the loop right now it is very hard to say ( stupid Yoda and his future in (e)motion crap ) but IF open pumping is the only thing keeping meltdown from flash over we can calculate a rough estimate based on the limit of contact time vs coolant effectiveness(physical limits of velocity pumping), rough though it may be , the crude math says less than five days, but their are gazillions of variables (mostly based on surface area), based on what I believe are a series of critiality events we have been seeing an exponential generation of "chain reaction" contributors have been operating in an oscillating manner. Based on various thermal displacements that have been moving around, but mathematically a certain 'radiation density' will eventually be reached wherein the frame of reference FOR THE ENTIRE PLANT approaches unity and no amount of pumping in the world will stop rapid energy release.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker

Yes, you have a point there. But the history of Japanese Culture goes back 10,000 years with inhabitants of Japan rumored to have come from China and Korea. What I think will happen is that the Japanese who survive this calamity may move to other lands and mix with people from other cultures, but the Japanese culture will remain (?)
It's a longshot, but I hope this does happen.

The "culture" will never go completely away, even if all the Japanese islands become uninhabitable (which I don't think will be the case). [just ask the troll's on 4Chan!]

However, I think they won't be able to support their existing population. Many Japanese already retire in other countries (US, Peru, etc.). They will just continue to emigrate. Where ever they go, of course they will still have a cultural influence.

The thing that may work against them, is they (meaning their government) doesn't have a good reputation for accepting refugees from other counties. So, I'm sure that will be part of the "discussion", in any country thinking about accepting Japanese refugees on a bulk basis. I'd be open to them coming to America - even if they don't "naturalize". But, I suspect there are others that would be against that. We'll have to see what come's.

Here's hoping the nuke situation only effects that section on Honshu, and no further.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I'm not trying to make light of this, but the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear disaster onslaught on Japan is equal to the destruction of Alderaan by The Death Star.

Losing Japan might as well be like losing a planet.

I turned off all of my electric appliances and electronics last night at 8:30 PM to commemorate Earth Hour, just out of respect and sorrow for the planet after the Fukushima Incident. I went outside and walked around my neighborhood in Manhattan, and I saw lights on everywhere, people with friends going to parties and clubs on a Saturday night...nobody seemed to give two craps about what was and is going on on the other side of the world.

If humans don't take interest in the welfare of their only home in the universe, maybe they don't deserve that home.

From now on, whatever happens here, be it from an act of God, or an attack by terrorist or the NWO, I will be numb...because I know that most people cannot see past themselves or their personal situations.

Maybe I'll feel differently later, but right now I am indifferent to humanity.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Yea sorry , they were too busy raping Libya for it's oil.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Hello Redneck and the whole ATS team,
I have been thinking about “Corium migration” to ground water. Have a few ideas to run by you.
The “Soviets” used sand and lead drops to cover the reactor, but which also helped to “dilute” or separate the corium; thereby reducing or slowing the radioactive decay rate and eventually the “lava” slowed and stopped. I think you would agree that helicopter drops are not feasible.
Based on what little information we have to work with I would suggest:
Pump a boric acid and ceramic aggregate slurry with a concrete pump to gravity feed pipes placed by crane into the main containment vessel. The reactor core containments are already breeched (according to multiple sources). Maybe the core is accessible through the lid, pipe, valve, cracks, etc. or burn- blast a hole for feed pipe(s) to drop into. Add the boric acid aggregate mix as quickly as it can be assimilated by the corium…or maybe cover it with a melting blanket.
The ceramic aggregates in the slurry mix can be chosen by ability to absorb alpha, beta, xray, gamma and at least partially covert to heat, to readily transfer heat through the ceramic and out of the corium mix, and to help encapsulate the corium when cooled for future removal.

I would also assemble an engineering team to review the basement or any areas where the molten corium will be expected. I would use refractory blocks or bricks, along with blasted holes through walls to help send the expected corium into multiple directions. Then fill all voids in potential flow path with ceramic/boron mix (by pump). This would probably require “suicide missions” so ask for volunteers and offer benefits to all workers…….money is no longer relevant here, excepting for the workers and their families.

These are basic ideas and need team input. We need workable and immediate solutions as the Corporations and the Governments are failing the people.

Please comment. I have many other ideas to add to the mix. Someone needs to put up an engineering workgroup website as a platform for global scientists, engineers, and rednecks….pyramid structure with the more knowledgeable at the top so that relevant ideas can flow immediately upward and be implemented.

Your thoughts?
Brand new to ATS and not quite sure how to post yet, etc.
BKGump

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Alright, this is my first post in the thread and I must admit to having more than a couple of drinks this evening, however:

It seems logical that if humanity faces a problem that can't be properly adressed from one estate alone.... That it becomes an issue of international security...

What my drunken ass is trying to say is that I'm pissed the ffffk off that international agencies and other highly influential countries didn't step it up from the get go.

It seemed totally logical that this would have been tbs case from day one, but ... We don't live in a sane world.

Arghhhhhh!!!

Welcome to ATS, I just poured a glass of wine, I'll join you.

From the beginning, gov't protocol has been followed, as in, being an outsider, offering aid and accepting the info given out by Japan, and Tepco. That was all fine and dandy, until it became apparent, that the truth was being hidden, obfuscated, basically smoke and mirrors to deviate the world's attention from the cold, hard facts.

Today, I think, I HOPE, is the turning point...the world cannot, and will not, stand by and let further destruction of this part of the world, that is ours to protect too. This world belongs to all of us...NOT Tepco.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

reply to post by zorgon

This is old school denial at its worst/best. How long...

Tamara Kruglikova waited days for Soviet officials to announce the Chernobyl nuclear disaster about 140 kilometers (87 miles) from her home. Hiroshi Ishikawa posts radiation levels every 30 seconds online to supplement Japanese government reports on the fallout from Fukushima.

On April 26, 1986, as Chernobyl’s ruptured reactor spewed radiation into the air, children in Kruglikova’s city of Gomel played outdoors and adults prepared for May 1 rallies. The one curiosity was why the mud turned an orange-yellow color after it drizzled, she said in a telephone interview from Gomel.

“The Japanese cannot even imagine what ignorance we lived in,” said Kruglikova, a 60-year-old literature teacher. “Everything we knew at first was basically just rumor, but many people trusted the official line.”
www.bloomberg.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
"Partial meltdown" is realisticaly the equivalent of "Slightly Pregnant"!

Perhaps they mean that the fuel rods have only partially melted?

I've seen this a few times since the crisis started - on a few occasions the word "溶融" (melting - youyuu) has been translated as meltdown - "炉心溶融" (roshinyouyuu). I haven't seen a transcript, but I'm inclined to think that's the case again.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

None of the images I have seen showed that. I will try to see if I can get better schematics. Thanks for dropping that in

new topics

top topics

<< 376  377  378    380  381  382 >>

join