It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 346.htm
<< 343  344  345    347  348  349 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
BREAKING

Minister Edano at press conference just now... is saying TEPCO has been with holding data from the government and strongly advised them to be more forthcoming so the government can respond and the people and workers don't lose trust

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Repeating it now.... they are replacing someone by order of the prime minister to look after the reactor problem

edit on 26-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

NEWS ADVISORY: Hard to tell when Japan's nuclear crisis would end: Edano

NEWS ADVISORY: Situation at nuke plant not worsening, but more work remains: Edano

english.kyodonews.jp...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
An American company is mobilizing to help Toshiba with remediation and cleanup:

The Shaw Group, Inc.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Just putting this out there, but if all 3 reactors are going critical as seems likely and they are in such close proximity, is there a chance of a big boom?

If so, are we looking at big mushroom or is it more likely a low elevation "squib" like chr0naut suggested may happen (spread out) boom?
edit on 26-3-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Mass grave site

. A resident explains his fears during a town hall meeting on the impact of radiation exposure from the nearby leaking Fukushima nuclear facilities, on March 22 in the town of Kawamata, Fukushima Prefecture. (AP Photo/Wally Santana)

A farmer drains milk into a pit in Iitate, in Fukushima, northeastern Japan, in this photo taken by Yomiuri Shimbun on March 23. Japanese authorities had temporarily advised against allowing infants to drink tap water in Tokyo due to raised radiation levels, and the United States became the first nation to block some food imports from Japan, saying it would halt milk, vegetable, and fruit imports from areas near the tsunami-damaged nuclear plant because of contamination fears. (Reuters/Yomiuri Shimbun)

edit on 26-3-2011 by xxPUSH0Noo because: add

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand
reply to post by ethancoop

I've taken better photos on a cell phone camera in the dark 5 years ago. These japanese have the latest and greatest stuff. I don't buy that, I'm sure it was a cell phone camera, I wasn't talking about the blurring, I was talking about the obvious compression artifacts found within the photograph. Some are from compression, some are from the cmos censor, and some are from radiation. We all know there is radiation in those control rooms that is why they HAVE to install lead plates to make them more habitable.

Here is a detailed nasa report on how radiation in space effects their CCDs space probe cameras, the basic effects should be the same in a reactor.

opfm.jpl.nasa.gov...

And here is a you tube video of a webcam placed into the path of a partical accelerator.
www.youtube.com...

edit on 26-3-2011 by mrrad because: added you tube link

edit on 26-3-2011 by mrrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrrad

Here is a detailed nasa report on how radiation in space effects their CCDs space probe cameras, the basic effects should be the same in a reactor.

opfm.jpl.nasa.gov...

With the aperture they built on Hubble to get the images off of that machine is what should be built around Chernobyl and these Fukushima reactors.

Whatever they use for that case works perfectly as their pictures are pristine.
if they can block radiation out of there then we should be able to keep it in somewhere else.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Hooked up to what? The core is a closed system... you can't just flow water through it and let it drain out

Based on the cesium in the water that looks to be exactly what they are doing. I believe they know that some of the heat exchangers are allowing core water to mix with cooling water....but first I need to create a mental image:

Imagine the reactor container is a bathtub full of water , now image that you took the cooling coil from your fridge and plopped it ( we will imagine that you kept it connected and in working condition ) in the tub , now throw a bunch of beer cans in the tub water to be our nuclear rods, now stick a fish pump ( a small re-circulating pump ) in the tub to keep the water swirling around and make sure the fridge is set to cold,we now have our model nuclear reactor.(please wait till the end of the discussion to enjoy the cold beer)

The water in the tub never mixes with the freon in the fridge cooling coils because they are kept physically separate BUT the heat does get transferred from one 'fluid' (not technically accurate for freon but you get the idea) to the other where it gets transported away

so you have two system to keep full water in the 'core' and freon in the fridge coil. So if you punctured the fridge coil in the core water all the freon would escape and water would get into the fridge system,

I think this is exactly what happened at fukushima and I truly believe that every time they batted those big Sailor moon eyes and said , gee we really don't know how that core water is escaping, they knew for a fact they were lying (at least in one case and probably more, remember the fuss about pressure loss) but no one could get at the exchanger to fix it

and if they said we are going to dump core contaminated water directly into the sea (on purpose a crime) they would be up # creek ( remember how they didn't really talk about what was happen to the sea water for the first few days?), I believe the plan then was much as it is now : try to get the core to cold stop them try to minimize or cover-up the extent of the 'poor choices'

Frankly the guys were boned , it a true no-win scenario ; where is that cheating kirk when you need him, and it may not have been as bad at first so they may have believed a little contamination in the ocean is a hell of a lot better than a massive air burst and possible chain reaction of them ...

edit on 26-3-2011 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Latest situation update from: hisz.rsoe.hu...

Long Quote.

Situation Update No. 62
On 26.03.2011 at 08:23 GMT+2

Tests showed a sharp spike in levels of radioactive iodine in seawater just offshore of the embattled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant are more than 1,250 times higher than normal, Japan's nuclear and industrial safety agency said Saturday. In samples taken Friday morning from a monitoring station 330 meters off the coast, the levels were 50 becquerels of radioactive iodine per cubic centimeters of water. This compares to 4 becquerels -- which is 104 times above normal -- in samples taken from the same spot the previous morning. These high levels suggest there may have been some sort of leakage directly into the ocean -- unlikely to be because of atmosphere emissions or rain alone, said an official with the Tokyo Electric Power Co., which operates the nuclear plant. A Tokyo Electric official told CNN that authorities are not sure why the levels spiked. The official speculated that the radioactive iodine may have been swept off the coast recently into the Pacific Ocean or the tainted water may have seeped from turbine buildings for two nuclear reactors that have shown the presence of radiation 10,000 times the normal amount.

Still, an official with Japan's nuclear safety agency told reporters Saturday that -- while drinking such tainted seawater would be dangerous, given the radiation's potential to cause cancer -- the effect on aquatic life imay be relatively minimal. That's because the radiation tends to dilute, the farther one moves away from the nuclear plant. Data posted on the Japan's education and science ministry website showed relatively small amounts of radioactive particles several kilometers offshore. The International Atomic Agency reported online Saturday that radioactive iodine and cesium was detected 30 kilometers (19 miles) offshore, but it said that these levels differed only slightly from the previous day. That said, its potential effect on Japan's fishing industry -- even if consumers stay away, for simple fear of contamination -- remains a major concern. So, too, is the fact that authorities have yet to pinpoint the exact source of the radiation, and thus to determine if it's stopped.

The latest data, from Friday, posted online by Japan's education, science and technology ministry show continuing evidence of airborne radiation in prefectures around the nation. Still, in no cases is the exposure considered harmful to human health -- and, in fact, in many cases, radiation readings have gone down. In the Fukushima prefecture where the plant is located, officials had screened 87,813 people for radiation exposure as of Thursday, Japan's nuclear safety agency said a day later in a news release. Of those 98 people had tested above limits for exposure, but once their clothes were removed and other measures taken, the exposure levels dropped and there was no effect on health. The agency also said screeners have examined thyroid glands of 66 children ranging in age from 1 to 15 and found that the "level of exposure of no problem." The thyroid gland, particularly in children, can readily absorb radiation, health experts say. Meanwhile, authorities continue to monitor radiation levels in tap water around Japan.

Information from Japan's education, science and technology ministry indicate the presence of radioactive iodine in the tap water of 12 prefectures. This does not include Fukushima and Miyagi, where measurements aren't being taken because of damage from the March 11 earthquake and subsequent tsunami. The government of Ibaraki prefecture reported Saturday that radiation levels had fallen considerably in the past 24 hours -- to levels that now would be considered safe enough even for babies to drink. Levels of radioactive iodine, taken Friday from water treatment facilities that serve the cities of Tokaimura and Hitachi, range from 31 to 97 bequerels per kilogram of water. This is below the 100 becquerel threshold at which authorities advise it not be drinken by infants under 1 year old -- and well under the 300-becquerel threshold for adults. A day earlier, water samples from four sites in Ibaraki had levels between 119 becquerels of radioactive iodine to a high of 230 becquerels, all above the recommendations for babies. A second batch of data released Friday from Tokyo's waterworks bureau showed levels remaining steady at 51 becquerels of radioactive iodine per kilogram of tap water.

There were 76 becquerels from samples from Asaka purification plant, which serves Saitama prefecture, according to data on the Tokyo government site. The previous day, Tokyo Gov. Shintaro Ishihara lifted the previously announced recommendation that babies not drink tap water after tests from Tuesday night showed levels of radiation more than twice the limit for babies. There was also good news Friday's in the Chiba prefecture, where all five water treatment facilities had levels of radioactive iodine less than 100 becquerels per kilogram of tap water. The previous day, two plants in Chiba had reported high levels.

Situation Update No. 61
On 26.03.2011 at 03:42 GMT+2

Radioactive contamination from a heavily damaged Japanese nuclear plant is of "grave and serious" concern, the country's prime minister said Friday. Naoto Kan said there is a suspected breach in the core of one reactor at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant, located in northeastern Japan. Contaminated water may have seeped from the core and three plant workers may have been exposed to a level of radiation 10,000 times higher than normal. "We must remain vigilant. We are trying to prevent a deterioration of the situation and we are still not in a position where we can be optimistic. We must treat every development with utmost care," Kan said. The U.S. military is supplying water for a cool down operation and repair work at the six-reactor nuclear plant has been stopped so officials can monitor the radiation levels. People who live within 30 kilometres of the plant have been advised to leave. Japan was hard-hit by a 9.0 earthquake and subsequent tsunami on March 11. The disaster left nearly 26,000 people dead or missing. Meanwhile, fears of contamination have hit the capital city. Tokyo experienced a run on bottled water on Thursday after tap water was declared unsafe for babies. Many stores had sold out of bottled water, and shortages of milk, noodles, and rice were also reported.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Hello. I just thought I would inform anyone who is interested that I have returned to Tokyo after leaving Japan for several days. I hope to be providing very bland, hopefully objective reports from an on-the-ground perspective in the days ahead. I just posted the first installment of pics in the RATS forum (access restricted to ATS members with over 200 ATS points). Thank you for your interest.
Thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hi, i am well over 200 points and i can not access this link you posted.....I keep getting a 404 error....Do you know why?...Or anyone else know?...Thank you.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I thought some of you here might find this little piece of news interesting...

As of now, U.S. Amazon.com is refusing to ship to Japanese addresses. They don`t say why on their site, but I am guessing it`s due to the current infrastructure problems with evacuations and radiation in Japan.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jsYnnH6vablTdB6kbrrly31rsyAg

Radiation spikes in sea near Japan nuclear plant

By Huw Griffiths (AFP) – 1 day ago

SENDAI, Japan — Radiation levels have jumped 10-fold in days in seawater near Japan's tsunami-hit nuclear plant, officials said, as workers battled to stabilise the crippled power station.

Drinking a half-litre (20-ounce) bottle of similarly contaminated fresh water would expose a person to their annual safe dose, said an official who however ruled out an immediate threat to aquatic life and seafood safety.

The iodine-131 level in the Pacific Ocean waters just off the Fukushima plant was 1,250 times above the legal limit -- compared with readings of 126 times higher taken on Tuesday, and 145 higher on Thursday.

"This is a relatively high level," nuclear safety agency official Hidehiko Nishiyama said in a televised press conference on the test results from Friday released by plant operator the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO).

Assessing the likely impact on aquatic life, Nishiyama added: "Generally speaking, radioactive material released into the sea will spread due to tides, so you need much more for seaweed and sea life to absorb it."

He added that because iodine-131 has a half-life -- the time in which half of it decays -- of eight days, "by the time people eat the sea products, its amount is likely to have diminished significantly."

However, TEPCO in a statement also said that levels of caesium-137, which has a half life of about 30 years, was 79.6 times the legal maximum.

(...)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Judging by the high levels of radiation now detected at sea we can only hope that there isn't another large offshore earthquake triggering a radioactive tsunami!

I found this : green.blogs.nytimes.com...

“The radiation monitoring information being collected by the U.S. government in Japan is of urgent interest to the public in the U.S. and internationally, and we expect an expedited response to the F.O.I.A. request,” said Tom Clements, Southeastern nuclear campaign coordinator for Friends of the Earth.

I will keep an eye to see if they get a response to their request..

Ironically it is Earth day today... how sad! I don't want to be a doomist but we do tend to get more bad news when the stock markets are closed at weekends..

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by zorgon

Pretty much all animal life on earth is contaminated in some way.

edit on 24-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

Between southern australia/tasmania and antarctica is quite clean. That is why lots of illegal fishing boats catch fish in australian waters, that includes japanese in the past too. But especially south african too. Maybe australia has to step up its navy soon.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I also found this article interesting - though a few days old now www.marketoracle.co.uk...

"Around Fukushima Daiichi Station they measured 400 millisieverts – that’s per hour. With this measurement (Chief Cabinet Secretary) Edano admitted for the first time that there was a danger to health, but he didn’t explain what this means. All of the information media are at fault here I think. They are saying stupid things like, why, we are exposed to radiation all the time in our daily life, we get radiation from outer space. But that’s one millisievert per year. A year has 365 days, a day has 24 hours; multiply 365 by 24, you get 8760. Multiply the 400 millisieverts by that, you get 3,500,000 the normal dose. You call that safe? And what media have reported this? None. They compare it to a CT scan, which is over in an instant; that has nothing to do with it. The reason radioactivity can be measured is that radioactive material is escaping. What is dangerous is when that material enters your body and irradiates it from inside. These industry-mouthpiece scholars come on TV and what to they say? They say as you move away the radiation is reduced in inverse ratio to the square of the distance. I want to say the reverse. Internal irradiation happens when radioactive material is ingested into the body. What happens? Say there is a nuclear particle one meter away from you. You breathe it in, it sticks inside your body; the distance between you and it is now at the micron level. One meter is 1000 millimeters, one micron is one thousandth of a millimeter. That’s a thousand times a thousand: a thousand squared. That’s the real meaning of “inverse ratio of the square of the distance.” Radiation exposure is increased by a factor of a trillion. Inhaling even the tiniest particle, that’s the danger."

And a link to the full article he is referencing www.counterpunch.org...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Edited to add zoomed in image...

(ps, sorry if this line if discussion ennded, im not long up out of bed)

I have to disagree that the "legs" have boots on in the posted, zoomed in image.

it is very easy to see lines and so on in a picture, and to draw lines in ... but it simply does not look like their are boots, the lines you see are totaly subjective , not that you have an adgenda or anything ... just that if someone thinks they see something, then thats it ... once the idea is their they are not going to not see it ...

Their is a possibility that their is something on the foot, if anything it looks like it would be a rubber cover, something akin to a veruka sock ... I say this as the foots form simply has too much deffinition and detail in the image for any covering to be anything else, almost certainly not a boot. (not including the slippers of course!)

to demonstrate what im saying, i will not use an image (soz, i meant draw on an image ... im lazy, we will use the image above
) ... but instead of looking at the front (right) foot, look at the left foot ... their is a bulge at the ankle, this is usual, their is what looks like a feint line, but remember if these people are getting decontaminated they will have had to stripped down, remove shoes and socks (remember, they will not have been plodding around a nuclear power station bare footed!), as we look down below the ankle the tendons , ligaments and bits inside the foot that make it work are clearly visable, and as we move down we can see bone definition and veins popping through.

also remember, that with the extreme zoom on an image that has already been encoded with a lossy style process (jpeg) we will most certainly gain some artifacts in the image during the zoom up process, we have to take this into account.

my 2 cents, the legs look very very pale and not covered, and the front (right) foot looks to have some large bruising on the shin below the knee... light conditions under the tarp most certainly will be making the skin look more pale than it usualy looks.

facinating, yet harrowing topic ... im glad i can finaly chip in on a subject i know something (a little bit ) about

edited 4th time to add ... REMEMBER, this view is my view on this and not the gospel truth, what people see in an image... any image is very subjective and will be different for everyone unless they are actualy their in person!

Edited for 5th time ... after staring at the feet for another 10 mins ... im sure the light is causing some artifacts , or the left (back) foot could well be wrapped in a bandage ... but this could be an articact caused by light coming past the edge of the tarp ... but this is deffinitelly not the case in the front foot. about the front foot, round the ankle is strange it looks almost like its been blured in photoshop... im not saying it is, but it looks very blured to me ... again, most likely an artifact though .
edit on 26-3-2011 by boaby_phet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by xxPUSH0Noo

I added a source for you Here

Fukushima – INES scale rating Publication

- March 25, 2011

A new analysis prepared for Greenpeace Germany by nuclear safety expert Dr Helmut Hirsch shows that by March 23 2011, Japan’s nuclear crisis has already released enough radioactivity to be ranked at Level 7 on the International Nuclear Event Scale (INES). This is the scale’s highest level, and equal to the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster.

Hirsch’s assessment, based on data published by the French government's radiation protection agency (IRSN) and the Austrian governments Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics (ZAMG) found that the total amount of radionuclides iodine-131 and caesium-137 released between March 11 and March 23 have been so high that the Fukushima crisis already equates to three INES 7 incidents.

Fukushima INES Scale Rating info

I don't fully trust Greenpeace as I think they have an agenda however some of this is/maybe interesting.

Greenpeace radiation monitoring team begins Fukushima assessment

Scope of the monitoring: This preliminary monitoring work sees the team spend several days documenting radioactive contamination and dose rate levels in the areas north-west of the Fukushima evacuation zone (20km radius from nuclear plant) that have been most affected by the radioactive releases.

Source

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Moonbeams771

More Greenpeace from AFP -

Greenpeace to monitor Japanese radiation levels

www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/print/1118957/1/.html

Related www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Asia/Story/STIStory_649559.html
edit on 26-3-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Hopefully it's not cobalt 60... oh wait it is.
Cobalt

Environmental Fate/Exposure Summary :
Cobalt-60 is produced by neutron activation of components of nuclear reactors; these components are made of various alloys of steel that contain metals that can absorb neutrons and produce cobalt-60. Cobalt-60 can also be produced in a particle accelerator. Trace amounts of cobalt-60 are present in the environment worldwide due to fallout from past atmospheric nuclear weapons testing. Cobalt-60 may be released to the environment from nuclear reactors and facilities that process spent nuclear fuel, especially hardware associated with the spent fuel.

Cobalt bomb

A cobalt bomb is a theoretical type of "salted bomb": a nuclear weapon intended to contaminate an area by radioactive material, with relatively little blast.

The weapon's tamper would be of ordinary cobalt metal, which the explosion then would transmute to the radioactive isotope cobalt-60 (60Co), which would produce deadly nuclear fallout.

The cobalt tamper would be transmuted into the isotope 60Co upon initiation and bombardment by neutron radiation. 60Co decays into an excited 60Ni by beta decay. The excited 60Ni then transitions to a ground state 60Ni, releasing gamma radiation.

The concept of a cobalt bomb was originally described by physicist Leó Szilárd, who suggested that an arsenal of cobalt bombs would be capable of destroying all human life on Earth (whether he was actually right is disputable). Cobalt was chosen because of the fallout, that would have a half-life of 5.27 years and would be intensely radioactive at the same time. While there exist isotopes with a longer half-life than 60Co, they are also insufficiently radioactive.[1] Many isotopes are more radioactive (gold-198, tantalum-182, zinc-65, sodium-24, and many more), but they would decay faster, possibly allowing some population to survive in shelters.

To provide a point of reference: to equally distribute 1 gram of cobalt per square kilometer of Earths surface one needs 510 tonnes.[2]

edit on 26-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
en.rian.ru/Environment/20110326/163211750.html

Experts compare Fukushima and Chernobyl disasters

02:44 26/03/2011

Japan lost much time in dealing with the consequences of an accident at its quake-hit Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant, Russian experts said.

People who dealt with removing the consequences of the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster in Ukraine, or 'liquidators,' compared the two accidents.

"Intensive activity started in Chernobyl on the first day [since the accident], but in Japan, it's very slow. In my opinion, they lost much time and still can't control what is happening," Col. Gen. Nikolai Antoshkin, one of the Chernobyl liquidators, told RIA Novosti on Friday.

Another liquidator, Nikolai Tarakanov, said Fukushima reactors dating back to 1974 cause his concern as they are "too old."

(...)

MOSCOW, March 26 (RIA Novosti)

top topics

<< 343  344  345    347  348  349 >>

join