It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 318.htm
<< 315  316  317    319  320  321 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
MOX fuel quality data falsification

The MOX Demonstration Facility was a small-scale plant to produce commercial quality MOX fuel for light water reactors. The plant was commissioned between 1992 and 1994, and until 1999 produced fuel for use in Switzerland, Germany and Japan.

In 1999 it was discovered that the plant's staff had been falsifying some quality assurance data since 1996.[59] A Nuclear Installations Inspectorate (NII) investigation concluded four of the five work-shifts were involved in the falsification, though only one worker admitted to falsifying data, and that "the level of control and supervision ... had been virtually non existent.". The NII stated that the safety performance of the fuel was not affected as there was also a primary automated check on the fuel. Nevertheless "in a plant with the proper safety culture, the events described in this report could not have happened." and there were systematic failures in management.[60]

BNFL had to pay compensation to the Japanese customer, Kansai Electric, and take back a flawed shipment of MOX fuel from Japan.[61] BNFL's Chief Executive John Taylor resigned,[62] after initially resisting resignation when the NII's damning report was published.[63]

en.wikipedia.org...

Discovered this whilst reading about Sellafield. Say, the MOX they're using is, for want of a better word, a little iffy? What implications would that have?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Yup, this is from from the
"seismic damage information (the 49th release) (as of 19:30 March 24th, 2011)"
which i downloaded earlier

Common Spent Fuel Pool
・ It was confirmed that the water level of Spent Fuel Pool was maintained
full at after 06:00 March 18th.
・ As of 09:00 March 19th, the water temperature in the pool is 57℃.
・ Water spray over the Common Spent Fuel Pool was started (From 10:37
till 15:30 March 21st)
・ As of 16:30 March 21st, water temperature of the pool was around 61℃.
・ As of 13:15 March 23rd, water temperature of the pool was around
57℃.
・ The power was started to be supplied (15:37 March 24th) and cooling
was also started.(18:05 March 24th)
・ As of 18:40 March 24th, water temperature of the pool was around
73℃.

73 degree is pretty high, but lets hope the cooling works now then it should be ok.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Fukushima radioactive fallout nears Chernobyl levels
In the 10 days it burned, Chernobyl put out 1.76 × 1018 becquerels of iodine-131, which amounts to only 50 per cent more per day than has been calculated for Fukushima Daiichi. It is not yet clear how long emissions from the Japanese plant will continue.

LINK
edit on 24-3-2011 by AlaskanDad because: fixed link

edit on 24-3-2011 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
MOX fuel quality data falsification

The MOX Demonstration Facility was a small-scale plant to produce commercial quality MOX fuel for light water reactors. The plant was commissioned between 1992 and 1994, and until 1999 produced fuel for use in Switzerland, Germany and Japan.

In 1999 it was discovered that the plant's staff had been falsifying some quality assurance data since 1996.[59] A Nuclear Installations Inspectorate (NII) investigation concluded four of the five work-shifts were involved in the falsification, though only one worker admitted to falsifying data, and that "the level of control and supervision ... had been virtually non existent.". The NII stated that the safety performance of the fuel was not affected as there was also a primary automated check on the fuel. Nevertheless "in a plant with the proper safety culture, the events described in this report could not have happened." and there were systematic failures in management.[60]

BNFL had to pay compensation to the Japanese customer, Kansai Electric, and take back a flawed shipment of MOX fuel from Japan.[61] BNFL's Chief Executive John Taylor resigned,[62] after initially resisting resignation when the NII's damning report was published.[63]

en.wikipedia.org...

Discovered this whilst reading about Sellafield. Say, the MOX they're using is, for want of a better word, a little iffy? What implications would that have?

Re the spread of radiation in food etc. - if they are falsifying data etc what's to say that the reactors hadn't already been leaking before the quake hit which just made things worse and they had to lie to cover up the fact it was leaking beforehand?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
UPDATE

The workers when taken to the hospital were covered by a screen as they were transfered so the cameras couldn't see them

Their dosimeter went off but they continued working

TEPCO just announced levels 10,000 time higher than normal in the water that they walked in and cesium 144 detected in the water. Cesium 144 is a product of fission

3,900 Bq/kilogram....

www.livestation.com...

890 Bq/kilogram in those veggies 500 is legal limit
edit on 24-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Got some data here on possible condition of core:

Behaviour of Nuclear Fuel During Accidents

Which makes what we are seeing sound like failed cores, cracked fuel, and failed conntainment...
edit on 24-3-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
YERLANZEY: (About Fukushima leaking beforehand.) Well, they do that too. Every nuclear power plant leaks more than is admitted. Think about this: why those plants require a 100 meter high chimney even tought it is said to emit only room temperature air? Yes, it's for maximum dispersion of the leakage so a radiation hotspot is not formet at the site.
edit on 24-3-2011 by Styrge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The workers when taken to the hospital were covered by a screen as they were transfered so the cameras couldn't see them

That is absolutely gut wrenching to me. Not that I'd want to see someone who has been exposed to that much radiation but the fact that it has happened and they don't want anyone to see them.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
katz from yokosonews just told us a formula that the japanese society of gynocologists and obstrecians is using to convert bequerels to microseivert.

link is to live stream but he may talk about it again, he was reading it from a japanese website.
yokosonew stream

# of bequerels * 2.2 / 100 = total amt of radiation exposed to in microseiverts

Some of the intentional confusion can be made clearer now.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by praise bob
Yup, this is from from the
"seismic damage information (the 49th release) (as of 19:30 March 24th, 2011)"
which i downloaded earlier

Common Spent Fuel Pool
・ It was confirmed that the water level of Spent Fuel Pool was maintained
full at after 06:00 March 18th.
・ As of 09:00 March 19th, the water temperature in the pool is 57℃.
・ Water spray over the Common Spent Fuel Pool was started (From 10:37
till 15:30 March 21st)
・ As of 16:30 March 21st, water temperature of the pool was around 61℃.
・ As of 13:15 March 23rd, water temperature of the pool was around
57℃.
・ The power was started to be supplied (15:37 March 24th) and cooling
was also started.(18:05 March 24th)
・ As of 18:40 March 24th, water temperature of the pool was around
73℃.

73 degree is pretty high, but lets hope the cooling works now then it should be ok.

Maybe I am missing something.

On the 23rd the pool was "around" 57C @ 13:15 with a water spray in effect.
They got power to the system and cooling was started about 5hrs later.
Now less than 45 mins after power was restored and cooling started the temp has gone up 16C?
Did they stop water spray for 22hrs during the power hook up?
Something dont jive with me about these numbers.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
for those of you that haven't found it yet: www.llrc.org

here are a couple of snippets:

Fukushima 70 kilometre contamination levels twice as high as Chernobyl Permanent Control Zone. Honshu should be evacuated. The IAEA website yesterday revealed beta-gamma contamination measurements taken between 35 and 68 km from Fukushima. The results ranged from 0.08 to 0.9 MegaBecquerels per square metre (MBq/m2). The Chernobyl Permanent Control Zone was contaminated up to 0.55 MBq/m2. The highest level of contamination classified after Chernobyl was greater than 1.48 MBq/m2. The data for Chernobyl were for Caesium and the same is probably true for the Fukushima data. All official agencies are conspicuously silent about the alpha-emitters Plutonium and Uranium. We remain deeply concerned about this lack of information.

and

Cancer in Sweden following Chernobyl is a stark warning for Japan A cautious but careful study [ref] in northern Sweden polluted by Caesium and Uranium fuel particles showed cancer increased by 11% in the ten years following the accident. The level of fallout in that part of Sweden was 0.1 kBq MBq/m2. If we assume that cancer increases linearly with the level of fallout, the areas of Japan affected at 0.9 MBq/m2 may experience increases of 90%. We recommend that the public within 150km should leave the area immediately.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Hey peeps ! I wonder if anyone here could tell me? Just out of curiousity. Is there any way harp can be used to dissipate radiation ?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap
reply to post by zorgon

That is absolutely gut wrenching to me. Not that I'd want to see someone who has been exposed to that much radiation but the fact that it has happened and they don't want anyone to see them.

That's been normal in Japan as long as I've been here, it's part of the privacy laws with regard to broadcast and photography.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
ZORGON: New photo from control room 1-2 shows some damage. So the previous one seems fake as the grilles from the ceiling hadn't come off. (Altought what on earth would that analogue clock be there for unless proof for genuine situation... they revived the colors in the picture afterwards and that increased suspicion.)

From reuters.com
edit on 24-3-2011 by Styrge because: added the picture

RANDYVS: No.
edit on 24-3-2011 by Styrge because: answer to randy

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by comawhite12
Something dont jive with me about these numbers.

Your right the temperature went higher after cooling started? WTF? and they only restored power to that tank today?

・ The power was started to be supplied (15:37 March 24th) and cooling was also started.(18:05 March 24th)

The whole story doesn't jive

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Good stuff, I can't see any doubt about blown cores given the neutron and how much cesium and xenon has been released.

If it was only uranium ( and 'waste' uranium oxide) then it looks like our critical temperature watch for rapid steam overproduction(likely 'explosion') is 1200C but that is NOT taking the plutonium / MOX into account. Given the thermal conductivity of the plutonium and it's percentage in the rods then if you have any portion of the rods that stll have casing on them I would put the critical steam temperature at around 900C

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Hey peeps ! I wonder if anyone here could tell me? Just out of curiousity. Is there any way harp can be used to dissipate radiation ?

Not that I know of... no. It can be set up as a shield for incoming though. like solar radiation could be blocked, but I don't see anyway it can effectively work on atmospheric dispersal... and that radiation would still have to go somewhere.

Here is a link to the EISCAT shielding work EISCAT is similar to HAARP
Shields for the Starship Enterprise: A Reality? - EISCAT Related Research
www.thelivingmoon.com...

That is why I say one day those blaming HAARP for everything will be thanking them

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Styrge
ZORGON: New photo from control room 1-2 shows some damage. So the previous one seems fake as the grilles from the ceiling hadn't come off. (Altought what on earth would that analogue clock be there for unless proof for genuine situation... they revived the colors in the picture afterwards and that increased suspicion.)

Thanks

One would almost think they are feeding us news based on what we post here. I don't see that clock in this image

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
UPDATE

More on the workers and what happened...

Seems the area they were working in was not under the reactor but in the other building in the basement laying wires. The area is normally free of radiation and readings the day before were low.

But there is no one on site doing radiation management checking the level before sending them in. The 'science adviser' for NHK says this should have been done but there is chaos on the site and disorder...

No kidding?

Just to repeat the level

TEPCO announced levels 10,000 time higher than normal in the water that they walked in and cesium 144 detected in the water. Cesium 144 is a product of fission 3,900 Bq/kilogram....

No word on why this area is so 'hot' at this time

www.livestation.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Could be corium on the move. This is the Elephant's Foot, from Chernobyl:

top topics

<< 315  316  317    319  320  321 >>

join