It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 310.htm
<< 307  308  309    311  312  313 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

And why has no one demanded the TEPCO equivalent of the Deepwater Horizon Webcam? It's like they just want to be lied to. We get maybe one NHK helicopter video a day, and nothing else. TEPCO has their own webcam already mounted and pointed-----why not just have their webmaster jack up the server capacity through a server farm company, and let us all see that's everything's okay?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
sorry if this has already been posted...

Control room power restored / Revived panel warns of high temperatures; pumps turn to fresh water

The lights finally came on in the central control room of the No. 3 reactor at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant Tuesday night after the electricity supply was restored.

On Wednesday morning, workers began trying to activate additional pumps to help flood storage pools for spent fuel rod at the Nos. 3 and 4 reactors with fresh water.

Tokyo Electric Power Co., operator of the nuclear plant which was devastated by the massive March 11 earthquake and tsunami, said supplying power to some meters and gauges in the central control room of the No. 1 reactor showed the temperature inside the reactor was 100 C higher than its design allowed for.

TEPCO said electricity reached the No. 3 reactor Tuesday night, enabling the utility to turn on lights and some instruments and collect various data.

The firm said a temporary pump sending seawater into the No. 3 reactor core would be replaced by a different pump, which would send in fresh water, by Thursday.

On Wednesday morning, workers suspended some of their efforts at the No. 2 reactor because of high radiation levels at the turbine building, where they had planned to try to connect an external power cable, TEPCO said.

TEPCO is also looking into whether a temporary pump could be powered with external electricity to pour water directly into a spent fuel rod pool at the No. 4 reactor, which has also been cooled down with sprayed water.

TEPCO is exploring the feasibility of using the central control room of the Nos. 3 and 4 reactors as a base for workers to repair and maintain a battery charger room in the facility's basement that provides power to the reactor's control system.

TEPCO would cover the room's walls with lead plates to shield the interiors from high amounts of radiation.

The central control room of the Nos. 3 and 4 reactors is located on the second floor of the central control building, between the reactors' turbine buildings. Precise details of its location are not disclosed, as a security measure against terrorism.

The workers would also check pumps and electrical systems at the reactor buildings, located just west of the turbine buildings.

Under normal circumstances, each control room is staffed around the clock by 11 workers on a two-shift system.

TEPCO said it succeeded between Tuesday night and early Wednesday in supplying electricity to meters and gauges at the Nos. 1, 3 and 4 reactors to collect various data.

Consequently, they found the internal temperature of the No. 1 reactor was rising sharply. To cool it down, they increased the amount of water poured into the reactor to 18 tons per hour.

At 6 a.m. Wednesday, the internal temperature of the No. 1 reactor was in excess of 400 C, much higher than the 302 C intended by its design, but it declined slowly to reach 390 C as of 10 a.m.

The company said fuel rods' temperature had apparently risen after being exposed to the air after the water level in the reactor fell

source

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Two workers at Japan nuke plant sent to hospital after hurt by radiation reut.rs

SOURCE

2 out of the 3 injured are now in the hospital.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Well at least this whole thing saved one guy and made him a billionaire overnight.

Man Becomes Billionaire Thanks to Radiation Panic

Last week, there was panic in China after rumors spread about dangerous levels of Japanese radiation reaching the country. It was rumored that iodized salt could protect people from radiation, so there was a huge rush on every store that sold salt.

China’s latest billionaire has acquired his new-found wealth practically overnight; in 2003, Lu’s salt-and-vinegar business sold out of every range of vinegar stocked, after locals became convinced the condiment provided protection from the SARS virus.

Lu invested all the family money in huge quantities of salt and vinegar, but by then, the crisis had passed and the vinegar craze was over.

“I was on a stopover in London and very hungry,” Lu recalled the origins of his unexpected success story. “The only thing I could buy at that hour were a traditional English delicacy: salt-and-vinegar crisps.’”

Lu was quickly hooked. He dropped out of college in 2002 and formed a business promoting the dish – but found fellow Chinese didn’t share his passion. Until last week, business for Lu’s ingredients was almost non-existent and Lu faced bankruptcy– but on Tuesday, trade began to pick up sharply.

By the weekend, Lu had sold the company to a Hebei-based conglomerate for a billion-dollar figure, invested in several coal mines, blown a million yuan on a Charlie Sheen-themed KTV-and-mahjong bender and established himself as a serious player in China’s burgeoning art market.

+1

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
The 'flashing news' on the Kyodo ticker is that the govt may move people beyond 30km to make life easier...

Now what does that mean? Your life will be much easier if your babies aren't absorbing 100msv of radiation and you can't eat or drink anything? The Japanese are masters of 'spin'

english.kyodonews.jp...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Gotta fix this. They didn't put cooling equipment underneath Chernobyl. They were going to but ended up just filling it in with concrete. I don't remember the doc nor the wiki pages giving exactly why.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Awww that's so cute. You know what's great about cats?

I bet you they taste like chicken, and I'm sure people by now are thinking about making a stir fry or two out of them in japan.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Radiation could affect people outside 30km zone (emphasis mine)

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano says computer forecasts show that radiation leaking from a nuclear plant could pose a hazard to people outside its 30-kilometer zone. Edano said at a news conference on Wednesday that a computer forecast system has shown that radiation levels in some areas outside the 30-kilometer zone would exceed 100 millisieverts, which is the level that could affect the human thyroid if a person is exposed to it outdoors for 24 hours.

If this is truly 100 mSv in an hour, I bet many are already dead from radiation and there's a cover up going on.

I mean, 100 mSv/hour will kill you within 30-60 hours. They probably failed the translation and it's 100 MICROsievert/hour. Well I hope so anyway.

Kyodo: TEPCO asks some workers at #Fukushima-1 nuke plant No. 3 unit to evacuate.

Fukushima workers hospitalised with skin lesions after radiation exposure in Japan

And they say they were hit by 170 mSv? I call BS.

Skin lessions uh?

3 – 6 Sv (3000 – 6000 mSv): Severe nausea, loss of appetite; hemorrhaging, infection, diarrhea, peeling of skin, sterility; death if untreated.

More like 3000-6000 mSv. The Jap government is lying hardcore on this one.

UPDATE :

NHK : Edano: Two workers exposed to radiation at #Fukushima and later hospitalised had stepped into contaminated water.

That explains it.... so, no the radiation levels in the ``air`` are not 3000-6000 mSv... but in the water, they sure are... if the water thingee is true... And didn't those workers had protecting clothing? And how come TWO workers got into contaminated water? And ``stepped``, if they had skin lesions on their legs, it was more than ``stepping`` into contaminated water. More like a third of the body in contaminated water.

And remember that they take all that water and dump it right back into the ocean.

UPDATE 2 :

NISA: 2 hospitalized #Fukushima-1 workers have beta ray burns. #Japan

edit on 24-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

I don't think with their culture that they would even consider this. Also, they are being provided with food including yummy fresh produce. (Hopefully not grown locally). Besides, how do you know where kitties paws have been? Perhaps mousing at the ol nuclear plant? At Chernobyl, they shot all the animals in the evacuation zone. I feel bad for all those poor pets in Japan too. Somthing will have to be done, and I hope it is more humane. Everything about this situation just sux.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Iodine levels on the rise near Fukushima plant

On Wednesday morning, the plant operator detected radioactive iodine-131 at a level 147 times higher than safety standards at a location 330 meters away from a water outlet of the facility.

The substance measured 127 times above the standard on Monday, when the first survey was conducted. The reading dropped the following day to 30 times over the benchmark.

Wednesday's survey also found higher-than-standard doses of radioactive cesium-134 and cesium-137.

But eh, watch CNN, and all is getting better. They have lights in the control room!
Maybe they can install a disco ball and do a party...

edit on 24-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
This is the first time i have seen the word "downplayed" used, on this site.

Spaced out by me.

Latest situation update from: hisz.rsoe.hu...

Situation Update No. 58
On 24.03.2011 at 04:17 GMT+2

The Fukushima nuclear power plant was rocked with new tremors on Wednesday, leading to more tension for engineers who have been working nonstop since the 9.0 magnitude earthquake and tsunami hit the country on March 11, causing the plant’s reactors to lose essential cooling mechanisms.

Workers have diffused the situation somewhat in recent days by pumping seawater into the reactors, preventing what was close to becoming a serious nuclear disaster. The new quakes hitting the plant reached magnitudes of 6.0, but officials immediately downplayed fears of additional damage at Fukushima. Even though black smoke was seen coming out of the plant’s third reactor, the government claims the situation is not serious.

Workers at the plant have restored power to essential lighting that will allow engineers to assess damaged equipment in the hopes of getting the plant's cooling systems back online. Once the cooling systems are functioning, workers can stop pumping seawater into the plant. The reactors will not be usable to generate nuclear energy and electricity because of the application of seawater, but damage to spent-fuel tanks and the reactors themselves need to be assessed and repaired to control radiation.

Restoring essential systems could take days, warned international organizations. The seawater, while averting a nuclear disaster, could have caused corrosion and salt build-up that may slow down the process of getting the systems back online quickly.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
Hope you guys got all the data you wanted off of the EPA RadNet site----because it's all been scrubbed down to elementary school level now. If you like pretty colors, that site is for you now! If you like data-----especially the query function of past data-----you're SOL.

Why would they do something like that in the middle of a crisis that dictates such info to be highly relevant? What on earth does it hurt to give the thinking public access to pertinent non-classified information? I'm not much of a tin foil hat guy but whenever the govt begins withholding information I get nervous & kinda miffed since it's our right to know.
edit on 24-3-2011 by ethancoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
Workers have diffused the situation somewhat in recent days by pumping seawater into the reactors, preventing what was close to becoming a serious nuclear disaster.

What was close to becoming a serious nuclear disaster? Really? Come on now, don't insult my intelligence.

Even though black smoke was seen coming out of the plant’s third reactor, the government claims the situation is not serious.

Not serious as compared to what exactly? You've got smoke rising from a @#$% nuclear reactor building that's in shambles, at a site with very little functioning equipment & high radiation levels that are beginning to impact the local food and water supply... but it's not serious. Maybe I'm just getting grumpy in my middle age but these a-holes are beginning to tick me off with their constant spin.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
The Japanese authorities are taking full advantage of the confusing possibilities that the various radiation scales present to them. At some point they wil need to try to confuse rems with roentgens I guess.
I am surprised that multiple reactors share a common control room. In the event of an incident with one reactor, I think it would be better if the operators of a second could concentrate on th operation of their unaffected reactor.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnixFE
reply to post by cripmeister

Regarding the 'faked' (showing an archived photo) control room picture there is one thing I noticed. If you look at all the footage taken in the last days (photo and video) it appears that they are all unfocused and a bit muddy due to the radiation affecting the sensors. I guess that CCDs are affected by the high radiation levels there. Maybe someone with more knowledge about radiation/CCDs can confirm this?

If you look at the photo of control room 3&4 you can clearly see the haze in the image. The photo of control room 1&2 is pretty clear so my guess is that there was no radiation present as they took the photo. Just another hint that this photo is taken bevor the event not to mention the very tidy room after an earthquake hit.

The grain is caused by a high ISO setting on the camera which attempts to boost or amplify the digital signal to compensate for the imaging chip not getting enough light (it's a dark room). In the attached image, the muddy colors & blooming highlights are telltale signs of high ISO, probably as high as that camera goes.

The haze as you call it is actually streaking caused by someone attempting a hand held shot using a low shutter speed. Lowering the shutter speed (leaving the shutter open for a greater period of time) increases the amount of light that's able to reach the sensor but a side effect of this is streaking or blur. Once the shutter speed is slow enough, generally under 1/40th of a second, any movement of the camera while snapping the picture will result in motion blur & at 1/40 or below it's very difficult to hold still enough without the aid of a tripod to keep this from happening. That attached pic appears to be well below 1/40, probably closer to 1/15.

The unfocused look is due to the fact that most camera's autofocus systems work by judging edge contrast & without adequate light it's difficult for that system to acquire focus. Next time you take a picture in a dark location & your camera shines a light for a few seconds before giving you the focus beep what it's trying to do is add more light to enhance the edge contrast so the autofocus can lock in.

Lastly, it's probably a CMOS chip & not a CCD. CMOS has become the standard in digital photography in part due to lower power consumption & less heat generation which allows you to put it in much smaller form factors.

edit on 24-3-2011 by ethancoop because: adding pic

edit on 24-3-2011 by ethancoop because: clearing stuff up

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Oh! Your wish is my command.

Actually I already examined this image thoroughly through photoshop hoping for some anomolies, but alas ...
nothing to see here courtesy of Tokyo Electric Power Co.

and edit to add - this original image is courtesy of Tokyo Electric Power Co. and damnit if I cannot find it anywhere on the web other than at Kyodo News.
Hmmm
TEPCO ... you sneaky buggers ...

edit on 24/3/2011 by Netties Hermit because: eh - can't muster the effort.

edit on 24/3/2011 by Netties Hermit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I had to share this commentary on the ways that some people are planning to deal with the 'fallout' from the radioactive Iodine.. observers.france24.com...

(I'm searching foreign news in the hope that SOMEONE has coverage of this disaster!!)

Iodine rich smoothies are the way to go!!! Just make sure you wash the radiation off the leafy greens first!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Netties Hermit

Yeeeaaah! It's a party in the gamma rays!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
2 workers exposed to high radiation at Fukushima plant hospitalized

Two of three workers who were laying cable at the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant on Thursday were exposed to high-level radiation and were hospitalized due to injuries to their feet, the nuclear safety agency and the plant operator said.

The three male workers were exposed to radiation amounting to 173 to 180 millisievert at around 12:10 p.m. while laying cable underground at the No. 3 reactor's turbine building. The two workers of plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s affiliated firm had their feet under water while carrying out the work, according to the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency.

The two, who were diagnosed as having sustained beta ray burn injuries at a Fukushima hospital, will later be sent to the National Institute of Radiological Sciences in Chiba Prefecture, the agency said.

TEPCO said radioactive water may have seeped through their radiation protective gear. The injuries are caused by direct exposure to beta rays, the utility added.

The level is lower than the maximum limit of 250 millisievert per year set by the health ministry for workers tackling the ongoing emergency at the Fukushima plant.

So far, one worker who was injured following a hydrogen explosion at the No. 3 reactor on March 14 was found to have been exposed to radiation amounting to over 150 millisievert.

People may be urged to move further from nuclear plant for convenience

The government is reviewing whether to continue its current directive for people living 20 to 30 kilometers away from a troubled nuclear plant in Fukushima Prefecture to remain indoors, with an eye on possibly recommending they relocate further away to make their everyday life easier over the long term, the top government spokesman indicated Thursday.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano noted in a news conference that reconsidering the directive does not mean the risk of radiation leaks from the plant is increasing.

''We are reviewing whether people can continue living under the current conditions,'' Edano said.

People within the 20 to 30 km range have been inconvenienced by increasingly limited goods available for living such as gasoline and foods, as trucking companies are shunning the government-designated area.

Edano noted that people in the area have been getting supplies from the Self-Defense Force troops.

After the catastrophic March 11 earthquake and tsunami crippled the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant and caused radiation leaks, directives were issued for people living in a 20-kilometer radius of the plant to evacuate and those in the 20-30 km range to stay indoors.

Edano emphasized that a revised order of this kind must be dealt with cautiously so as not to create a misperception that danger from the radiation leaks is spreading.

==Kyodo

edit on 24-3-2011 by AstraCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Netties Hermit

Thank you for that! It's HILARIOUS!

"Colorado and Oregon have joined several other Western states in reporting trace amounts of radioactive particles that have likely drifted about 5,000 miles from a quake and tsunami-damaged nuclear power plant in Japan, officials say."

Breath it in deep, you'll feel like you're in Japan! Ain't that nice... traveling to Japan for free! Those Japs are very kind!

top topics

<< 307  308  309    311  312  313 >>

join