It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 31.htm
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

and how is providing to a link about a quake that already occured an update!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beavis
Plutonium vs uranium. Scroll down to Proliferation and safety problems of MOX use .

Beavis, thanks for this link. OK, so Greenpeace is justified, this STUFF IS BAD NEWS...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by porky1981
woah woah wait a second here....'rainwater contamination is definitely from neutron emission'? from a physics viewpoint this makes no sense at all. Maybe what you mean is, the radioactive emissions from the plant (undergoing some sort of core melt) are contaminating the rainwater? the contaminated rainwater would contain things like radioiodines, cesium, etc...? these aren't neutron emitters though. Anyway please lets not spread any more rumors.

Yes, rainwater contamination from neutron emissions. If it doesn’t make sense from what you read in your physics books, then you need to invest in some nuclear physics books that are worth the paper they are written on.

The hydrogen captures neutrons and is formed into deuterium, then tritium……. Oxygen also captures, or loses neutrons and is converted into one of it’s isotopes Then it decays into fluorine 20 then neon 20 and the like.

How do you think those isotopes are naturally formed? They are close by other radioactive neutron emitters in the ground, water, or air, and they are formed by absorbing those neutrons that the other natural emitters release.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The governments have technology to cause earth quakes and are using this technology. Some quakes are natural and some aren't. As we get closer to 2012 more and more devastation will start happening more often all over the world and other planets. That why its important to develop spirituality and love in the heart and to also be a positive thinker. The populations with the most negativity will have more devastation from mother earth trying to correct the frequencies from a low to high for the new shift. I suggest to ask your higher self from any form whether its a prayer or spoken out loud to ask for higher knowledge from the right sources and it will be sent your way so that you can be more informed and prepared for whats to come. Take care, love you all and i send love energy all over the world.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
some info via american nuclear society

American Nuclear Society Backgrounder:
Japanese Earthquake/Tsunami; Problems with Nuclear Reactors
3/12/2011 5:22 PM EST

To begin, a sense of perspective is needed… right now, the Japanese earthquake/tsunami is clearly a
catastrophe; the situation at impacted nuclear reactors is, in the words of IAEA, an "Accident with
Local Consequences."

The Japanese earthquake and tsunami are natural catastrophes of historic proportions. The death toll is
likely to be in the thousands. While the information is still not complete at this time, the tragic loss of
life and destruction caused by the earthquake and tsunami will likely dwarf the damage caused by the
problems associated with the impacted Japanese nuclear plants.
What happened?

Recognizing that information is still not complete due to the destruction of the communication
infrastructure, producing reports that are conflicting, here is our best understanding of the sequence of
events at the Fukushima I‐1 power station.

 The plant was immediately shut down (scrammed) when the earthquake first hit. The automatic
power system worked.
 All external power to the station was lost when the sea water swept away the power lines.
 Diesel generators started to provide backup electrical power to the plant’s backup cooling
system. The backup worked.
 The diesel generators ceased functioning after approximately one hour due to tsunami induced
damage, reportedly to their fuel supply.
 An Isolation condenser was used to remove the decay heat from the shutdown reactor.
 Apparently the plant then experienced a small loss of coolant from the reactor.
 Reactor Core Isolation Cooling (RCIC) pumps, which operate on steam from the reactor, were
used to replace reactor core water inventory, however, the battery‐supplied control valves lost
DC power after the prolonged use.
 DC power from batteries was consumed after approximately 8 hours.
 At that point, the plant experienced a complete blackout (no electric power at all).
 Hours passed as primary water inventory was lost and core degradation occurred (through some
combination of zirconium oxidation and clad failure).
 Portable diesel generators were delivered to the plant site.
 AC power was restored allowing for a different backup pumping system to replace inventory in
reactor pressure vessel (RPV).
 Pressure in the containment drywell rose as wetwell became hotter.
 The Drywell containment was vented to outside reactor building which surrounds the
containment.
 Hydrogen produced from zirconium oxidation was vented from the containment into the reactor
building.
 Hydrogen in reactor building exploded causing it to collapse around the containment.
 The containment around the reactor and RPV were reported to be intact.
 The decision was made to inject seawater into the RPV to continue to the cooling process,
another backup system that was designed into the plant from inception.
 Radioactivity releases from operator initiated venting appear to be decreasing.
Can it happen here in the US?
 While there are risks associated with operating nuclear plants and other industrial facilities, the
chances of an adverse event similar to what happened in Japan occurring in the US is small.
 Since September 11, 2001, additional safeguards and training have been put in place at US
nuclear reactors which allow plant operators to cool the reactor core during an extended power
outage and/or failure of backup generators – “blackout conditions.”
Is a nuclear reactor "meltdown" a catastrophic event?
 Not necessarily. Nuclear reactors are built with redundant safety systems. Even if the fuel in the
reactor melts, the reactor's containment systems are designed to prevent the spread of
radioactivity into the environment. Should an event like this occur, containing the radioactive
materials could actually be considered a "success" given the scale of this natural disaster that
had not been considered in the original design. The nuclear power industry will learn from this
event, and redesign our facilities as needed to make them safer in the future.

What is the ANS doing?

ANS has reached out to The Atomic Energy Society of Japan (AESJ) to offer technical assistance.
ANS has established an incident communications response team.
This team has compiling relevant news reports and other publicly available information on the ANS blog,
which can be found at ansnuclearcafe.org.
The team is also fielding media inquiries and providing reporters with background information and
technical perspective as the events unfold.
Finally, the ANS is collecting information from publicly available sources, our sources in government
agencies, and our sources on the ground in Japan, to better understand the extent and impact of the
incident.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I got this link on another thread last night. This man is a Japanese and watches Japanese feeds and translates them to English for us. He just said that they said all three plants had levels of radiation that were fatal to humans:

www.ustream.tv...

He just corrected himself and said:

edit:
"All nuclear plants are under control."
“All the radiation is way under the mortality level.”
edit on 12-3-2011 by Calender because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by unknown32

How many threads are you going to copy and paste this to?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Calender

Wow, this is really cool! Thank you!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
So Stratfor is saying the reactor is breached.....not good

www.stratfor.com...
edit on 12-3-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
The real contamination issue is with energetic neutron and gamma emission. Gamma emission is not held in stasis by water as energetic neutrons are. Thus, if there is concern over rainwater contamination, it would be concern that the rainwater is contaminated from neutron emissions from the uranium decay process.

TheRedneck

Hey there Redneck. I'm all yours in this thread. Don't leave me - - I need someone I can trust.

I'm trying to grasp and understand real facts on this subject and disastrous event. This is not the time for conspiracies or social opinion (that can come later).

I surmise we still don't know exact details from Japan. They may not know fully yet either.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
My view of the events, could be wrong:

1. Reactor successfully shut down seconds after earthquake, even though it was beyond design basis. Reactor still has significant decay heat. Earthquake knocks out the electric power grid. Emergency diesel generators start successfully, cooling the reactor.
2. Beyond design basis tsunami takes out the emergency diesel generators, cooling proceeds using batteries only.
3. Efforts take place to start the diesel generators and bring in more batteries. These efforts fail.
4. Batteries run out.
5. Suppression pool reaches 100 degrees, need to vent steam to lower pressure and temperature. This increases radiation levels outside the plant.
6. The Zirconium fuel rods react with the water because they are hot, forming hydrogen gas. Hydrogen unable to be dissipated as there is no electric power, hydrogen gas vented to top of reactor building explodes. Top of the reactor building that houses the crane is destroyed, yet containment integrity maintained. Some of the radioactive gases escape, increasing radiation levels momentarily, but levels go down as this dissipates.

7. Possible meltdown, proceed to pump the reactor full of borated water. The reaction is stopped by the control rods, if the core melts through them and hits water, then there is potential for a nuclear chain reactor, which is probably why they are adding boric acid (neutron poison) to prevent this.
8. Predicted end result = partial meltdown. Reactor destroyed. Majority of radiation contained. No or few theoretical radiation fatalities. Huge increase in fatalities due to air pollution from fossil fuels used to replace the damaged reactor.
edit on 12/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

All reactors have radiation levels dangerous to humans, inside the reactor. They surely don't mean outside the plants, do they?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

All reactors have radiation levels dangerous to humans, inside the reactor. They surely don't mean outside the plants, do they?

Outside. He is translating it as they explain it. They leaked radiation into the atmosphere, but that it is under mortality levels for humans. Click on the link he's translating it.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Listening to him now, I think he screwed up before because he just said "they said the level was beyond, not beyond, below the mortality level, so they leaked it". I think he just made a mistake and said it was "beyond" the mortality level meaning "below".

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

NEWS ADVISORY: Radioactive monitor set up in Ibaraki Pref., no abnormal reading so far (14:10)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Hello Annee... don't worry; I'm in this thread to stay.

You're pretty much right... the damage appears to be worse than anyone knows, as more and more reports keep coming in. If you want to catch up on the technical stuff, I posted this earlier to give everyone a rough idea of the physics involved.

Bedtime for now, but I will be back in the morning... hopefully to better news that we have had today.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Does anyone have a pager or cell number so we can wake you up if it hits the fan? LOL.

Thanks for your input today, it's been fascinating and informative. Learned a lot, personally.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I am pasting this information in every thread I feel it is relevant. As I am currently unable to create a thread of my own please excuse the repetition. I feel this information is possibly of great importance and so wish to promulgate it rapidly:

Q. Would ingestion of iodized, common table salt be effective in a nuclear accident if KI pills are not available?

A. The daily dose of potassium iodide (KI) for thyroid blocking is 130 mg per day for up to two weeks. This equates to 96 mg of iodine (I). Iodized salt contains about 0.085 mg of KI per gram of salt (according to the Morton Salt Company). To get the I equivalent of a 130 mg KI pill would require the ingestion of 1,529 grams of salt which would most likely be fatal. According to research by Health Physicist Ken Miller, Hershey Medical Center,

a person can get a blocking dose of iodine by painting 8 ml of either tincture of iodine or providone iodine (betadine) scrub on the forearm daily

. William Kirk, PhD, CHP Pennsylvania Bureau of Radiation Protection

LINK

PLEASE PASS THIS INFORMATION TO YOUR FRIENDS ON THE WEST COAST AND CONTACTS IN JAPAN

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hardfelt

Good info to have for future reference. I didn't know you could absorb the iodine through your skin.
Thanx.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
this may be a good site on keeping track of radiation levels

www.radiationnetwork.com

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join