It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 269.htm
<< 266  267  268    270  271  272 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by iWokeUp

I heard that too. The spinach and milk issues is pure insanity IMO. Maybe I am just worked up cause I was compeltely offline for a few days, but there are people eating radioactive food now!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

Originally posted by lasertaglover
NHK was just talking about the concerns on reactor #2 and that since the building is intact, they can't spray water into it, and it is a real problem since the building does not have electricity. The commentator then said that they will discuss that reactor more in a little while (why?).

I'm confused about this because they also said that they had opened the building, to allow for venting of hydrogen, to help prevent an explosion.

The reactor buildings were built as containment structures, to prevent the release of radioactive gasses into the environment. Now we are being duped into believing these gasses are harmless, and there is/was no need to contain them.

Isn't reactor number #2 the one that has the spent fuel rods? And it's smoking?!!!!!!?

Each of these reactors has "spent" fuel stored in the same building, above the reactor. All spent fuel contains plutonium, but the fuel used and stored in reactor 3 is the worst, as that reactor used a fuel made of a mixture of uranium and recycled weapons grade plutonium.

Thank you so much for those answers! But I am curious then why they were talking so much about the fuel rods in #2, as if there were more, or possibly more in danger, perhaps?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
There is an excellent article that explains the basics of radiation - types, halflife, decay, particles, measuring units ect - here.

Radiation 101

Lots of info that helps to understand the situation at Fukushima.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I saw posts by members last night that made it obvious that they did not know or were in denial of the fact that there have been explosions at multiple reactor buildings at Fukushima. I did not post regarding that until now.

I would urge members to review the thread to get an understanding of just how serious this accident is, if they not already aware of it.

They should see how TEPCO has handled the situation thus far, that the information they have released is 'less than forthcoming' , downright lying at points and that the Japanese government is equally at fault. Even the US government is with-holding info from us.

I understand that the finer points of nuclear power, the technical and engineering aspects can be difficult to comprehend. I believe that many members have been helpful in making some basic points clear for the layperson, ones that need to be understood.

I would like to make clear that I do not have some hatred toward TEPCO or the Japanese government. I am certain that they are trying to do the best that they can in this very dangerous situation. I refuse to take what they say at face value though.

I don't believe that we face any serious danger here in the US from radiation, but we were told early on that we wouldn't see any here. That is a falsehood. We have seen traces of radiation here.

In the US, we need to take what happens in Japan as a lesson. We are facing the same situation here if there are massive EQs where we already expect them, not to mention if we would have them occur where we are not expecting them. We are not prepared for these EQs to the degree that the Japanese are, so we will have a much worse time in dealing with the EQ disaster itself, let alone nuclear accidents due to EQ damage.

We need to change things before it is too late. Especially with regard to spent rod storage!!!

Rant over. Please accept my apology for that.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
As far as we knew until yesterday, n.2 was worrying because there they suspected a crack in thé suppression chamber/ torus.
Thé crack in thé containment vessel seemed to be confermed by thé fact that pressure was sometimes negative for this site.
For spent fuel rods TEPCO always reported "nô info" on the status table...

edit on 21-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Latest PR from Tepco regarding the gray smoke from reactor building #3.

Press Release (Mar 21,2011)
Smoke from the Southeast Side of the Rooftop of the Unit 3 Building in Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station

At around 3:55 PM on March 21st, an employee of TEPCO confirmed light
gray smoke arising from the southeast side of the rooftop of the Unit
3 building, and reported the situation to a fire station at 4:21 PM.

The parameters of reactor pressure vessel and reactor containment
vessel of Unit 3, and monitored environmental data around the Nuclear
Power Station remains at the same level. However, employees working
around Unit 3 evacuated to a safe location.
It is observed the smoke has been decreasing.

TEPCO continues to take all measures to restore the safety and security
of the site and are monitoring the site's immediate surroundings.

Source

Emphasis made by me.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

Yes, here we go again.
Nothing has changed with radiation levels, so we evacuated our workers to a safe location. Even though the smoke has subsided some! Everything is better than it was, so we will pull our guys back. ???????

Whatever, I could write that kind of PR for them without any knowledge of the situation there.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Hell, TEPCO lied about inspections while their reputation was good and there were no ``nuclear crisis`` while the whole world was watching.

If you believe that NOW, while their reputation and their industry is in danger they won't lie, you're kidding yourselves.

Those bastards will lie like the US government and the company in charge of TMI did while they were having a partial meltdown on the way to a complete meltdown without even knowning what was going on! That is always been their policy, lying.

Fact is, they do not control reactors 2-3-4, nor their spent fuel pools. They do not control squat. The only question now is... how long before they admit that they are not in control and start burrying the whole thing and put a nice lid of concrete on top of it all? Will it be before it goes full meltdown? Will it be before the spent nuclear pool rods go supercritical and the worst worst worst case scenario plays out?

Fact is, ONE OF THOSE POOLS IS LEAKING. And you can't fix that without dying within seconds of exposure if you were to go work in the pool itself to fix it.

They either need to bury the whole thing or transport the whole thing with remote controlled helicopters/drones/bulldozers to a place where it can be dealt with safely.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

their is allot of lies in this story...

from everything is ok no high doses of radiation outside the containment evacuation zone,

To its safe to eat the the food that has been contaminated by radiation.

Whatever information Japan, tells us about the radiation level in Japan, I consider it BS.

As I write this the USA naval ships are leaving Japan.. HMMMMMM

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
What bugs me is that; they keep informing people about the amounts of radiation in spinac and milk, tellin' people not to worry....amounts are equal to this much CT scan level..blah..blahh...

Hey even a single radiation level is not supposed to be in there right????

I feel sorry for the people not the government or the Tepco...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Fact is, they do not control reactors 2-3-4, nor their spent fuel pools. They do not control squat. The only question now is... how long before they admit that they are not in control and start burrying the whole thing and put a nice lid of concrete on top of it all? Will it be before it goes full meltdown? Will it be before the spent nuclear pool rods go supercritical and the worst worst worst case scenario plays out? Fact is, ONE OF THOSE POOLS IS LEAKING. And you can't fix that without dying within seconds of exposure if you were to go work in the pool itself to fix it.

Yes, those are facts. We haven't seen TEPCO own up to them yet either.

They either need to bury the whole thing or transport the whole thing with remote controlled helicopters/drones/bulldozers to a place where it can be dealt with safely.

They need to bury it as soon as possible, but it has too cool down enough for that to be feasible.

The Japanese people need to prepare for a lot more radiation. A lot more.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
And while we talk about this ``nuclear crisis`` that has ``only`` killed a few people so far... people that were hit by the tsunami and earthquake are being left with no one to help them.

And now they are dying :

The Japanese government can sure as hell print HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF $$$ for the freaking stock market, but they sure as hell won't print the same amount or even more to save LIVES, you know, an actual thing that matters...

This is making me puke.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Yes, here we go again.
Nothing has changed with radiation levels, so we evacuated our workers to a safe location. Even though the smoke has subsided some! Everything is better than it was, so we will pull our guys back. ???????

Whatever, I could write that kind of PR for them without any knowledge of the situation there.

It's all we have to go on at the moment. I put a heck of a lot more trust in TEPCO PRs than in some random ATS members fear based speculations about the situation. Removing the workers from the location is a safety precaution, they don't know what caused the smoke.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
www.metro.co.uk...

www.contracostatimes.com...

well.. more bad news..
edit on 21-3-2011 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Incidents of looting reported.
I guess it was only a matter of time.

Police in the devastated Miyagi region said 250 thefts had been reported in the 10 days since the disaster and around £75,000 worth of goods had been reported stolen. The authorities said they are determined to cut down on the growing number of petty offences and would put an extra 100 officers on patrol. Reported incidents have included men trying to break into cash machines, siphoning petrol from cars and taking items from damaged stores and homes.

Telegraph Article
edit on 21-3-2011 by Noscible because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Noscible

Well some looting will be understandable if they are not getting assisstance and aid. So I see them in need of gas and cash to buy what they can, both no-brainers. It depends on what they are taking from stores. If it's blankets,clothing, gloves..etc. I would think any basics would be ok.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Earthquake report from JAIF -

Status of Fukushima Daiichi power station as of 21:00, March 21, 2011
Here is information regarding the status of Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power station according to the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency.
􀁺 Work to recover external AC power is in progress at unit-1 through 6. External AC power cable has already been connected to the distribution switchboards at unit-1 and 2. Power Center at unit-2 received electricity (15:46 March 20) and the integrity of each load is being confirmed. AC power will be provided to these units after current inspection to check problem. Works for laying electricity cable to the Power Center at unit-4 was completed around 15:00 on March 21.
􀁺 The pressure of the Reactor Containment Vessel at unit 3 of Fukushima Daiichi rose once (320 kPa as of 11:00 March 20th) and dropped later. Monitoring the pressure continues (120 kPa as of 12:15 March 21).

And at 18:00 on March 21, Chief Cabinet Secretary Edano announced that...
􀁺 After detecting radioactive material being beyond the government’s regulatory standard from spinach and kakina, the Prime Minister Kan ordered the governors of Fukushima, Ibaraki, Tochigi and Gunma prefectures that shipment of these vegetables would be restricted “for the time being”. The shipment of milk from Fukushima prefecture was also restricted. Edano repeatedly emphasized that it was an emergency measure just in case and they would have no harm to the health of people who ingest them.
End

www.jaif.or.jp...

JAIF don't have any updates about the smoke, that's strange...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Removing the workers from the location is a safety precaution, they don't know what caused the smoke.
The only reason that they don't know for certain what caused the smoke is that the can't go look at it.
They can't go look at it because there are lethal levels of radiation present. They can't monitor it remotely because some of their buildings have blown up, taking the sensors out.
I feel for them, but I feel more for the civilians that live in Japan, especially the ones that are looking for safe food to eat and water to drink after the EQ and tsunami.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I don't trust TEPCO, but the guys at the NRC think none of the containment vessels are breached

NRC: Containment at 3 reactors in Japan currently intact, situation appears to be stabilizing By Associated Press, Monday, March 21 ROCKVILLE, Md. — The Nuclear Regulatory Commission staff says containment at three reactors at Japan’s crippled nuclear complex is currently intact and the situation at the plant appears to be stabilizing. 0The NRC met to get an update from staff on the ongoing crisis in Japan and devise a plan to meet President Barack Obama’s call for a comprehensive safety review at the 104 U.S. nuclear reactors. Bill Borchardt, the commission’s executive director for operations, says that units 1, 2 and 3 at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant have some core damage but that containment for those three reactors is not currently breached. He says the situation at the plant appear to be on the verge of stabilizing. NRC staff is in Tokyo conferring with Japanese government and industry officials on the disaster. www.washingtonpost.com... l

edit on 21-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
also a few news articles from RIA-Novosti (Russia)

en.rian.ru...

Workers at Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant were evacuated on Monday after reactor No. 3 emitted a cloud of gray smoke, Kyodo reported, citing plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. The power company said the cloud appeared at around 3.55 pm local time (06.55 GMT). The NHK TV channel reported that a fire crew had arrived at the site. The death toll from a powerful earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan 10 days ago has risen to 8,450, with 12,931 people missing. The disaster triggered a number of explosions at Fukushima, spreading fears of massive radioactive contamination. Before the evacuation, engineers at the plant were working to restore electricity supplies to the plant's reactors. Tokyo Electric said earlier on Monday that all six of the plant's reactors had been reconnected to electricity cables. The electricity supply, which could take up to three days to be restored, will run an automated cooling system in the damaged reactors and pools containing spent nuclear fuel.

en.rian.ru...

Japanese engineers have connected four of the reactors at the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant to electricity cables, but will restore the electricity supply only after a detailed inspection of equipment, the Kyodo news agency reported on Monday. The United Nations nuclear agency said earlier on Monday that smoke and vapor rising from the earthquake-damaged plant had become less intense. The electricity supply, which could take up to three days to be restored, will run an automated cooling system in reactors and pools containing spent nuclear fuel. Tokyo Electric Power Co. also expects to lay power cables to the other two reactors on Tuesday. The death toll from a powerful earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan 10 days ago has risen to 8,450, with 12,931 people missing. The disaster triggered a number of explosions at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant, spreading fears of a large-scale radioactive contamination. Heavy rain has heightened fears of radiation and forced Prime Minister Naoto Kan to cancel a visit to the plant. People living near the plant have been told not to drink tap water due to high levels of radioactive iodine. Traces were also detected in tap water in Tokyo. On Saturday and Sunday spinach and milk produced near the plant was found to have higher than legal radiation levels. The sale of some products was halted over possible health risks. The World Health Organization described on Monday the threat from food contamination as "serious," Reuters reported. Around 3,400 Russians have been evacuated from Japan by the Russian Emergencies Ministry since the disaster struck on March 11. Emergencies Ministry planes are still running between Tokyo and Vladivostok, although the numbers of Russian nationals trying to leave have decreased significantly in the past few days.

and a nice picture "how fukushima-1 reactors work"

(don't know what's wrong with my pictures, they all are cut)
edit on 21-3-2011 by AstraCat because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 266  267  268    270  271  272 >>

join