It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 267.htm
<< 264  265  266    268  269  270 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Should we be concerned about the map from EPA website shown here?

epa.gov...

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by VimanaExplorer

Not really.
That is a map of monitoring stations.
Puerto Rico is Station #210. San Diego is #915, etc.
www.epa.gov...

edit on 3/21/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Also, the color seems to imply what type monitoring station it is - not any sort of data about current readings there. In other words, RED doesn't denote something bad, just that it's a monitoring station capable of gathering "Near real-time gamma" readings (WTF that is).

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Updated PDF/Chart from JAIF just showed-up on their English web-page ...
... based on the date/time noted, the summary is done about 2.5 hours ago ...

Reactor Status and Major Events Update 20 - NPPs in Fukushima as of 16:00 March 21

PS: I like this summary format better than anything else I've seen.
PPS: I'm out for the next 10-12 hours. Best wishes to everybody (here and there). Trying to keep hopeful that all this "fire-drill" actions that are being taken aren't just for show - and will actually make a big difference.

edit on 2011-3-21 by EnhancedInterrogator because: added post-script

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator
reply to post by Phage

Also, the color seems to imply what type monitoring station it is - not any sort of data about current readings there. In other words, RED doesn't denote something bad, just that it's a monitoring station capable of gathering "Near real-time gamma" readings (WTF that is).

Thanks Phage & EnhancedInterrogator . Was just making sure, there are so many conflicting reports and readings and what not online.

- Jay

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I haven't seen this link posted yet, and if it has it could always use some resurfacing.

NIRS Powerpoint about spent fuel storing in Japan's plants - TEPCO

Outlines in detail how the spent fuel is stored in the facilities of Daichii and the other plants in Japan. From the storage pools, to the convection air cooled casks... very interesting and very detailed.

Puts some perspective on the massive amounts of fuel that is being stored in those plants... And the potential of it in disaster.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Yes thank you, I don't get into the technicals as i'm no
nuclear scientist so that summary was quite good.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Ruh Roh!

Smoke rising up from building of No. 3 reactor at troubled nuke plant

Kyodo News

Isn't that the one with plutonium?!
edit on 21-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
Ruh Roh!

Kyodo News

From the wikipedia page:

Grey smoke is seen being emitted from Reactor Building #3 at the Fukushima Daiichi plant. TEPCO evacuated the site in response to the smoke. [97]

97 - ^ NHK World, broadcast 21 March 2011, circa 16:30JST

Will be waiting for further confirmation on this... I HATE that color smoke!!!!!!!!
edit on 21-3-2011 by shagula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Ruh Roh!

Kyodo News

Yeah it's on NHK world right now. Grey smoke coming out of reactor 3. TEPCO said in their press conference that they don't know what it's from and they're looking into it.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by shagula

I hope it's not about to blow or catch fire.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

reply to post by shagula

I hope it's not about to blow or catch fire.

Who knows with that reactor, it's the wild card experimental one. I think even Japan is on new meltdown territory here. They are making history and potentially becoming history all in a single stroke of one reactor.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Smoke rising from the spent fuel storage pool of the plant's Unit 3 prompted the evacuation, Tokyo Electric Power Co. spokesman Hiroshi Aizawa said.

link

So, the smoke is rising from the spent storage pool at reactor # 3. Where there's smoke, there's fire. In this case, radioactive fire.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Didn't that blasted thing blow up already?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

That is the Mox fuel reactor, isn't it? If there is smoke coming from there, we are in trouble. The plutonium used in the fuel rods has a half-life of 100,000 years if I am correct. This is not good. Hopefully, it is not as serious as it appears, but as you have said where there is smoke there is fire.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I think you will find later in the day they most likey had to release steam, due to pressure build up... Not the best thing to have to do, but needed to be done if I am correct...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by 5StarOracle
I think you will find later in the day they most likey had to release steam, due to pressure build up... Not the best thing to have to do, but needed to be done if I am correct...

Steam would be white. The smoke started out as blackish then went greyish, according to reports on NHK-World. It's coming from the southeast side of reactor 3 which is where the spent fuel pool is located. However, the cause of the smoke is still unknown at this point.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
They're starting to talk about concrete for #4 (sorry if this has already been posted) www.cnn.com... reactors/index.html?on.cnn=1

based on the wording it sounds like they may have started but it could have been a typo or I might be reading it wrong. Maybe they will start on reactor 3 too although at this point would it even help?

While he did not indicate when or even if the concrete pump would be used, the official did say the target would be the plant's No. 4 reactor. In just over two hours on Monday morning alone, 13 fire engines sprayed about 90 tons toward that reactor in an attempt to cool it down.

new topics

top topics

<< 264  265  266    268  269  270 >>

join