It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 255.htm
<< 252  253  254    256  257  258 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
According to various reports workers at the damaged reactors may very soon need to "vent highly radioactive gas" AGAIN... This is the problem with their current efforts to cool these reactors, which may have reached a runaway reaction, the buildup of explosive gases leaves few options, either let it explode, or vent it... Venting releases extremely radioactive particulates in the gas and steam and causes a dangerous LOCAL rise in radioactivity at the site, making their current cooling efforts more dangerous and they possibly may need to pull back until the levels drop. It also does release radioactive particulates into the environment and atmosphere. The sea water is leading the cause, as a source for the hydrogen gas build up.

This cycle can continue until the radiation is too high for anyone to be within miles of the site... and that would lead to a catastrophic worst case meltdown.

If they can't end this worsening cycle by applying consistent, and constant coolant flow, then it will go from bad to much worse in a short time.

Vent or explode?

Which is better?

That is the current actual status of things in Japan, Fukushima nuclear plant.

FYI.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
We keep being told that the situation at the nuke plant is improving, usually by citing some work that has been acomplished, laying new power lines, spraying more water from the air or from the ground... ect ect...

The most recent news is that 2 out of the 6 reactors are now in stable condition and that this is a sign that the situation is certainly improving. Of course they are talking about reactors 5 and 6, which have not sustatained any damage and have been the absolute least of anybodies concerns this entire time. I mean really I don't care about the status of 5 and 6, they will never pose a threat to anyone unless the entire plant has to be evacuated and they suffer a subsequent cooling failure. If this happens, we will have already seen a catostrophic failure to contain the raidation at one of the other four reactor sites that have been damaged already. This has never been about whether or not they could control the tempuratures of reactors 5 and 6... yet the media reports this as if it is a step forward when in fact it is not. The real problem has never been at 5 or 6.

Another sign that they do not have the situation under control, This news of pressure rising in the containment vessel of reactor #3... what really stood out to me was the news report claiming that this development was UNEXPECTED. What do you mean unexpected? They can't get close enough to the reactor to thoroughly inspect any of their cooling systems, much less the pressure containment vessel itself.... Are they just making assumptions about what needs to be done here? Are they expecting that just because they were able to stabilize two reactors that had not been functioning, nor sustained any damage, that the same tactics were going to be successful at reactors that were functioning and have sustained heavy damage?

I guess my point is, if the only two reactors in this equation were #'s 5 and 6, then yes I would feel quite confident that their efforts are leading us to a controlled cold shutdown of this nuke plant.... Yet THEY ARE NOT THE CONCERN.

I also find it laughable when people on this forum or in the media attempt to tell me that there has been NO containment breaches at this plant, that all the fuel rods are safely in the reactor core containment vessels or still securely held in the spent fuel ponds.. I mean come on, if this was indeed true, then there wouldn't be any radiation contamination of the surrounding area... The only way that Radiation can indeed escape this nuke plant is through some sort of BREACH of the Containment vessels that hold these fuel rods. Even if it is only through Steam being vented out, which in and of itself tells us that there is something drastically wrong inside the containment vessels... Healthy Controlled reactor cores do NOT need to periodically have radioactive steam vented from them into the surrounding environment. This event has far surpassed the TMI event and it is an insult to our intelligence for the government of Japan and the media to attempt to put the two situations in the same Catagory of nuclear accident. The fact that they have not identified this as a level 6 accident when it clearly is, tells us that they are trying to hide the severity of the situation.... Why else would they need to lie about it, unless they do not have the situation under control and are not confident that thier current tactics will be successful. They sure have fooled the media if a pressure increase in a reactor with a partial meltdown and severe damage to its cooling systems is seen as an UNEXPECTED development.

Soul

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by bmorebirdflu
On sunday why is there no news. nothing at all. Tv only repoting lybia. Thats it. Just 48 hours ago it was so crazy no they just say reactor 5 anf 6 are under control. well last i rember 1 2 3 4 were the problems. why keep talking about 5 and 6. Its crazy. I wathed a show about 10 years ago that said 3 or 4 bombs like harosham were droped the world could end. radation nuclear winter food shortages etc... i hear each reactor is alot worse then one heroshma. please ecxuse my typing. am i the only one in shock nright now or what. am i just paraniod.

Its well known that the public are the last to know whats going on. In my opinion they have gone quite because there crapping them selves. Japan still wont let anyone help them, all forign nationals are being evacuated. Everyone's eyes have convieniantly been turned to Libya, sheeple by the masses have already forgotten what is really going on it the world......

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by iWokeUp
reply to post by ljonesyuk

HAHAHA who told you that ???????? Jeez some people !!

Has a huge amount of radiation hit the highly populated area of Tokyo???
Proof if so , not some whacky website link or someones opinion.

Has a huge amount of radiation hit the u.s after over a week?????
Proof if So ,not sine whacky website link or someones opinion .

There is elevated levels within the local area but people are acting like it's Chernobyl!
Which , living in northern England , I can relate to first hand. This hysteria wasn't seen even when weather forecast here were advising people to stay indoors ....... Only in America eh.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I would say explosions are the least favored, since it damages more of the reactors coolant capabilities and infrastructure. Whether the reactors are too far damaged to be fixed and should be buried asap is another highly debated topic.

I also wonder if they will vent the reactor(s), since the wind direction will be moving more towards Tokyo.
edit on 20-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
[[[sniip]]]
they did know about dangers and risks of the MARK 1 General Electric reactor !!!
They know also about the dangers of the MOX used for the working .... ( = with plutonium )
they knew about the reactors being old and had to be stopped, but let them continue ....
it is all about greed, $$$ greed, irresponsible !
I hope nothing goes wrong with that plutonium, otherwise it will be much more dangerous up there for living in the north of Japan ... realise ???

www.nirs.org...
edit on 20-3-2011 by Sunlionspirit because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Mar 20 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
reply to post by iWokeUp

Throughout this whole ordeal I have lost a lot of respect for the Japanese government and the whole system of "saving face" and downplaying disaster.

I don't like when people insult my intelligence. I don't think I will be visiting Japan in the future.

Yes, I much prefer the ATS culture of becoming hysterical, inciting panic, and predicting the worst then claiming a cover up when the worst doesn't happen. The biggest disappointment around here seems to be good news.
edit on 20-3-2011 by nghtshd because: grammar

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

I also wonder if they will vent the reactor(s), since the wind direction will be moving more towards Tokyo.

According to CNN (cable) moments ago, the pressure is building, so regardless of wind directions they may soon have no choice but to vent the gas.

That is the problem, it may expose more of Japan, including Tokyo to higher radiation levels, but more importantly it could cause a extreme temporary very high spike in radiation at the site, which would prohibit further cooling efforts if crews have to pull back.. This ongoing cycle is the most worrying and least publicized aspect of this crisis.

Very worrying.. I have been hopeful they could get electric power and run the existing high volume pumps and end this crisis... But that hasn't happened, and here we are again with another vent/explode situation as a result.

It is what it is...

Meanwhile in Libya...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nghtshd

Good news is pressure is rising and we need to vent more pressure into the atmosphere?

Somebody is addicted to the msm lies. Carry on with the Libya problem. The nuclear disaster is over.....wtf

edit on 20-3-2011 by liejunkie01 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I can't help but to feel that perhaps a radioactive iodine cloud coming this way would help rid this area of the dummies out there, so that those who are prepared can survive. There needs to be some sort of event to get rid of the idiots; this way the smart can move in and take over. That is the natural order of things, but lately, I've been seeing the idiots getting the biggest rewards and special government funding. Pay a deaf person megabucks to drive a big rig truck (so they can't hear horns and they can't hear when they hit things, and hit things this person has done). Pay a retard good money to walk around picking up garbage, where he is a huge liability and sticks his hands and head into places where they might just get flattened. Pay the idiots beat up the smart.
Well the idiots don't have stockpiled food, or water, or iodine and medicine. They don't have iodine and if they do they don't know how to use it properly. This is exactly what I've been waiting for; an opportunity to weed out the waste of skin people that are prolific in our society now so that the strong can emerge.

Not that I'm saying I'll be on that list but having the chance is sure alot better than this garbage we call society today.

So yes, some of us hope for the worst. Cancer or not, the world might be less boring than it is now. Heck I'm hoping for our leaders to do something so grievous that society finally snaps out of their lulling trance and straightens these pompous elite out.

(I'm sure some people will disagree but I'm sure there are those of us here that have had that thought cross the mind)

edit on 20-3-2011 by TheLastStand because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-3-2011 by TheLastStand because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ljonesyuk

Proof if so , not some whacky website link or someones opinion.

Has a huge amount of radiation hit the u.s after over a week?????
Proof if So ,not sine whacky website link or someones opinion .

There is elevated levels within the local area but people are acting like it's Chernobyl!
Which , living in northern England , I can relate to first hand. This hysteria wasn't seen even when weather forecast here were advising people to stay indoors ....... Only in America eh.

Hummmmmm.........have you even read ALL of this thread?? I doubt very much if you have.

Chernobyl ? This far excedes Chernobyl.....

Chernobyl was ONE reactor that blew up, 25 years later and you still cant visit there for more than one day...

Japan has SIX reactors that could easily go into a chain reaction and well its really not worth thinking about what implications that would have for the ENTIRE world....Not to mention that they have totally different FUELS in them than Chernobyl had...try doing some research on the subject !!

The reason WE the public are not hearing the TRUE reading is because of the MASS hysteria that would occur !!

Just stop a while and think about it.....can you imagine having to evacuate 27 million people in Japan? Not to mention the surrounding countries.....where would one house them all ??

And for your information, there are many many UK members on this site.....ME included !!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

FOR REAL. (ETA: I'm agreeing with this part: "I can't help but to feel that perhaps a radioactive iodine cloud coming this way would help rid this area of the dummies out there, so that those who are prepared can survive.")

All those who think everything's peachy: it is! You're right! Nothing to worry about! Go about your business and forget this forum even exists. Just forget about us morons needlessly freaking out about nothing.

You're so right, we want to see bad news so our families and children get cancer and deformities. I'm pregnant, and what I'm on this thread for is to hope that my baby is born with mental defects and 4 arms. Yep, that's it. You're soooooo smart.

Go about your business. Nothing to see here. Trust us.
edit on 20-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I certainly wouldn't want to have to make the decision whether to vent radioactive gas that drifts towards Tokyo vs. waiting to see if it will explode.

Pressure in stricken Fukushima reactor begins to rise again as officials say they may have to douse it with water ‘for months’

New buzzword....

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

God this is horrible. "Douse" it for months. Wonder where that water will be going.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by iWokeUp

So your uk based and think this is bigger than Chernobyl simply based on some illusional theory that there has been a complete block on all information from japan .... So much so that you won't go there anymore.

Seriously , I think you should tape up all the doors and windows for when the TRUTH COMES OUT.
This will be bigger than Chernobyl for Japan and the U.s purely because of the locality, not so for everyone else . The two cannot be compared at all , one blew death thousands of feet in the air and the other one hasn't and won't.
I'll be the first to say I was wrong if it does but it won't , this time next year no one will even remember what the big deal was .

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

As I said not all of us think that way but if it were an iodine cloud (which it will likely mostly be), 8 days of protecting yourself properly, and you're good. Whereas people who are dumb enough to not do that, well, they die of radiation poisoning or thyroid cancer or something. I'm so sorry that bad things have gotta happen to us before your children can inherit a world where they are not slaves, but we'll have more of this sort of stuff (on an ever increasing scale of danger) to look forward to from our leaders and corporations. We need to do something about them for our children's sake, but if none of you will stand up and be the change then yes indeed I find a suitable alternative would be for a cloud of iodine wiping out people that are just dumb -- and you know that there are a bunch of them out there, that totally lack the mental capacity to survive -- they can go I wouldn't shed a single crocodile tear for them (you know those same people that would get a good job and drink themselves out of it, or drug addicts like all the heroin junkies flopping around town; they can definitely go. Some short time later the people would move back, and there would be plenty of work caring for the retards that weren't prepared who are dying of radiation poisoning; and their jobs will open up providing a more people friendly workplace for a while (because people are being phased out by machines).

Not that I advocate eugenics any but I've never felt sympathy for anyone deserving of a darwin award. Anybody following these leaders deserve one, because it is not reason that rules in a system where dependence on corporations and especially megacorporations makes the world go round.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Proof if so , not some wacky website link or someones opinion.

The educated opinions of someone well versed and educated do not count?
there are folks here that are way more wise and knowledgeable on certain topics than the mass media parrots, some in here can read between the lines, some here have a bit more experience than some of the so called "experts", besides, in this case all are "opinions" as no one has the facts, or at least not all of them.

Now if one is willing to swallow the mainstream ideal of the situation, without question, and you feel better ignoring the mess we are in because the official tale says it isn't so then so be it.

I´d rather take into account all of the opinions ,and then I try to do my own research, and then I make up my mind but still keep my concepts open to any further development.

Anyone here can believe in anything that makes them feel better, but lies I´d rather not.
How do I know they are lying? well, they have a perfect track record, they have lied regarding the deep water horizon, they lied in Iraq, they lied in Chernobyl, they lied in Vietnam. And we will find out sooner or later, not believing does not mean not preparing.

cheers!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Hi There

This is my first post here - have been reading this thread from the beginning and its taught me a lot.. Thank you in particular The Redneck and Phage..

That said does anyone have a link to monitoring of UK/europe radiation levels because I am becoming irritated by scaremongering of people quoting high radiation levels in Europe... My vaguely educated opinion is that this is most likely caused by the existing radiation here and any local reactors etc.. I want to back this up with facts to people who are causing others to become worried.. Not that people shouldn't be worried but this 'huge fallout cloud' people are talking about has not hit Europe yet - nor is it likely to be dangerous (unless/until reactor 3 blows)

Please correct me if I have got that wrong - but I hope after 250+ pages of this thread I have understood something....

AND I am also infuriated by the lack of news coverage of this - good plan to start a new war while 3 reactors are melting down and some 'spent' fuel rods are melting down - just stop people eating spinach for a while and it will be fine

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

reply to post by iWokeUp

So your uk based and think this is bigger than Chernobyl simply based on some illusional theory that there has been a complete block on all information from japan .... So much so that you won't go there anymore.

Seriously , I think you should tape up all the doors and windows for when the TRUTH COMES OUT.
This will be bigger than Chernobyl for Japan and the U.s purely because of the locality, not so for everyone else . The two cannot be compared at all , one blew death thousands of feet in the air and the other one hasn't and won't.
I'll be the first to say I was wrong if it does but it won't , this time next year no one will even remember what the big deal was .

Not so sure about that. All of this water they are using is going somewhere. It's obviously not staying in what is supposed to be a closed loop system. I would not be surprised if the sea floor and land around this area remains contaminated for a long period of time.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by TheLastStand

You're so right, we want to see bad news so our families and children get cancer and deformities. I'm pregnant, and what I'm on this thread for is to hope that my baby is born with mental defects and 4 arms. Yep, that's it. You're soooooo smart.

Go about your business. Nothing to see here. Trust us.
edit on 20-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

Worrying over the situation by reading threads on here is more likely to cause your unborn child more complications than some non existsnt deadly radiation travelling in the air.
Run a bath , put some music on and relax.

Worrying is like a rocking horse , it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

new topics

top topics

<< 252  253  254    256  257  258 >>

join