It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 247.htm
<< 244  245  246    248  249  250 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Is there any way to calibrate without using a calibrated meter? I have access to calibrated sources, although kinda pricey.

TheRedneck

That is why I stated that it would cost more than the tube is worth. If you already have the stuff to determine the calibration, then good, if not, then it will cost you more than a brand new tube of known calibration.

For example…….Ones of known calibration are…
www.electronickitsbychaneyelectronics.com...

at…. 3.5 CPS/mR/Hr

www.electronickitsbychaneyelectronics.com...

or…….

www.goldmine-elec-products.com...

at 21.3 CPS/mR/Hr

www.imagesco.com...
GMT-1 at 18 CPS/mR/Hr

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Here's the official English-version of that earlier TEPCO press-release ...

Status of TEPCO's Facilities and its services after Tohoku-Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake (as of 9:00AM) [English]

Here's a small-clip ...

* The restoration work of electricity supply from external source for Unit
3, 4, 5 and 6 are being implemented. And the repair of emergency diesel
generator A of Unit 6 is completed.

* At 5 am, Mar 19th, we started the Residual Heat Removal System Pump (C)
of Unit 5 in order to cool the spent fuel pool. At 10:14 pm, we started the
Residual Heat Removal System Pump (B ) of Unit 6 in order to cool the spent
fuel pool.

* At Units 5 and 6, in order to prevent hydrogen gas from accumulating
within the buildings, we have made three holes on the roof of the reactor
building for each unit

Note: Please note this covers Daiichi and Daini plants, and other TEPCO's facilities. So, if you skip ahead, be aware you might not be reading about the plant or reactor you might expect.

edit on 2011-3-19 by EnhancedInterrogator because: added post-script

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks.I am in agreement with you.

BTW,I dont know how to read a Geiger Counter,but I will go to a Surplus Store on Monday,to see if I can pick one up. Now,If anyone knows how to use it,and I can get one,I would be willing to ship it out to them. Last,time I was out there they had a few.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

oh great!!!! does this mean 5 and 6 are getting ready
to blow too??!!!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAlive
Dr. Masters is reporting that winds are "likely to blow radioactivity towards Tokyo" on Sunday

You can monitor the current wind direction here:

W ind finder

Right now, it looks it's blowing in all directions.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by autopat51

I think that means they may have to vent hydrogen gas, and rather than have it build-up in the "building", they are trying to change the way it "vents" to prevent explosions.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by autopat51

oh great!!!! does this mean 5 and 6 are getting ready
to blow too??!!!

I don't think so ... from my understanding, reactors 5 and 6 are in the best shape (relatively).

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Workers stabilize spent fuel stored at Japanese reactor

Japanese workers, who are risking their lives attempting to cool a half-dozen crippled nuclear reactors, managed Saturday to stabilize a storage pool that holds some of the deadliest spent fuel, halting its release of radiation, the Japanese government said.

I'd hoped the spent MOX fuel would be stored somewhere safer. However this indicates it's stored (or was stored,) above the reactor just like the other spent fuels.

"The worst case is, you dump more water on that spent fuel pool, and it drains," said Najmedin Meshkati, a nuclear safety expert who teaches at the University of Southern California. "And then the zirconium cladding of that fuel bundle will interact with this hot water, and it will release hydrogen. Then there may be fire or an explosion." Because part of the roof of that building has been blown off by an earlier hydrogen explosion, he said, "all of that radioactive cloud ... may get released into the environment. It's very potent."

Luckily the earlier fires/explosions didn't release any radioactivity ...
They were just caused by a few happy birthday helium balloons catching fire or exploding.
- nothing to worry about at all.

Any radiation detected in America is just from Anne Coulter's farts after chomping down her morning Plutoniavites. Such a sweet, sharing spirit that woman has. She'd gladly contribute to our general health by irradiating us all free of charge.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

ok thank you...sorry...all these disasters happening one after the other hav got me on edge.
thats ALL we need is for 5 and 6 to blow!!!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

If there is a buildup of hydrogen gas that means that the cores are probably overheating I think, but we knew this before, nothing new there. Seeing as how there are spent fuel rods on the roof's makes sense to punch holes - they should have thought of that before probably.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AlaskanDad

I do speak french, it is my first language after all.

Model of the dispersion of radioactive fallout in the atmosphere at the global level... so it's a computer model and not actual ``hard data``...

They are using the ``mocage accident`` model, which it seems they are using in all their simulations since it is a good model to see how a pollutant in the atmosphere moves.

It says the heights that the model predicts is 20m-500m... and it only models Cesium-137, not the heavier elements like Plutonium 240.

TEPCO: Water temperature in temporary storage pools for spent fuel rods at reactors 5 & 6 had dropped, as of 7am Sun., to 37.1C and 41C.

Kyodo: Officials say no health risk from iodine, cesium found in tap water in northern Ibaraki-ken.

edit on 19-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

From Kyodo

Tochigi, Gunma and Niigata prefectures border Fukushima Prefecture. The Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry notified local governments that if levels of radioactive materials in tap water rise above regulated standards, people should refrain from drinking tap water, but added there is no problem at the moment with using it as usual and there is no danger to human health. The education ministry said 77 becquerels of iodine was found per kilogram of water in Tochigi, 2.5 becquerels in Gunma, 0.62 becquerels in Saitama, 0.79 becquerels in Chiba, 1.5 becquerels in Tokyo and 0.27 becquerels in Niigata, against an intake limit of 300 becquerels. The amount of cesium per kilogram of water was 1.6 becquerels in Tochigi and 0.22 in Gunma, against the limit of 200 becquerels set by the Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan.

Anyone know how to interpret these? Would drinking this impact health over time or do they take that into account when they give their intake limits?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Thank you!
I was assuming it was a model, but felt it better to ask for an explanation / translation...
Not good either way,

I notice the media has not given out much info on the plutonium that has or is being released. :-(

Thanks again!
AD

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

Workers stabilize spent fuel stored at Japanese reactor

Japanese workers, who are risking their lives attempting to cool a half-dozen crippled nuclear reactors, managed Saturday to stabilize a storage pool that holds some of the deadliest spent fuel, halting its release of radiation, the Japanese government said.

Which pool are they talking about? n.4?

"The worst case is, you dump more water on that spent fuel pool, and it drains," said Najmedin Meshkati, a nuclear safety expert who teaches at the University of Southern California. "And then the zirconium cladding of that fuel bundle will interact with this hot water, and it will release hydrogen. Then there may be fire or an explosion." Because part of the roof of that building has been blown off by an earlier hydrogen explosion, he said, "all of that radioactive cloud ... may get released into the environment. It's very potent."

I don't think they have to worry about another hydrogen explosion since the buildings are missing walls and roofs. Something tells me there wont be a large buildup of gasses any time soon.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Been getting live updates with links to maps and graphs from these folks
live.reuters.com...
Take for what it is,but I have gleaned some good info from it.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Radioactive contamination has been found in some food products from the Fukushima prefecture, Japanese officials say. The iodine was found in products - reported to be milk and spinach - tested between 16 and 18 March and could be harmful to human health if ingested, the officials said. International nuclear experts at the IAEA say that, although radioactive iodine has a short half-life of about eight days, there is a short-term risk to human health if it is ingested, and it can cause damage to the thyroid.

So it can cause damage to the thyroid...

Kyodo: Officials say no health risk from iodine, cesium found in tap water in northern Ibaraki-ken.

But the Jap government say it's no problem.

Traces of radioactive iodine have also been found in tapwater in Tokyo and five other prefectures, officials said on Saturday.

6 areas contaminated...
edit on 19-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Been getting live updates with links to maps and graphs from these folks
live.reuters.com...
Take for what it is,but I have gleaned some good info from it.

wertwog,are you the same wertwog I see posting on Reuters?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Yes, I asked a question about if anyone knows for sure if the rods are still in the pools. I got a "because they are so deep they should be in there" response. I take that to mean no. They don't know for sure, at least not for all the pools. I'm mostly concerned with the ones that have had their roofs blown off. 1, 3 and 4.

previous post
edit on 19-3-2011 by Wertwog because: added a link

edit on 19-3-2011 by Wertwog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

OK, dumb question time...

So what you are saying is that the tube itself determines the calibration, and the circuitry does not? If that is the case, it would be VERY simple to build a Geiger counter circuit with a digital display in whatever units one wished. All I have to do is set up a timebase based on the calibration of the tube and a simple counter... 0.1 Hz refresh should be plenty fast enough for updates and slow enough to give good accuracy. That's even cheaper and not much more difficult than using an ICL7107 A/D converter for a driver.

Where are you getting the calibration figures? I am not seeing that information on the links (and I know from experience that Electronic Goldmine is very good at not providing data... they just sell the parts and usually have no idea how to rate them if their source didn't provide the data. I deal with them a lot - great place to get small parts surplus in large quantities.).

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Sad update from Kyodo:

Pressure at No. 3 reactor's containment vessel rising: nuke agency

top topics

<< 244  245  246    248  249  250 >>

join