It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 23.htm
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Its about time, now maybe we will start seeing the truth on the news, of course if they can blow it off they will.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Al Jazeera's live blog seems to be a good source for updates on the nuke situation as they become available. Their coverage seems at least a bit more reliable than the US MSM's - they aren't trying to pamper anyone.

Prepare for the worst, in hopes for the best case scenario. I wish governments and the media would be honest with citizens, especially about things like this - for once, they aren't fear mongering when they actually should be trying to minimize and prevent a future catastrophe by honestly saying there is something to fear.

Save yourself today, and tomorrow be damned eh?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
TEPCO: Released steam from Fukushima Daiichi No. 3 reactor would contain small amount of radiation
by Aviva West at 4:38 PM
TEPCO says it has started preparations for releasing pressure from Fukushima Daiichi No. 3 reactor after cooling failed
by Aviva West at 4:37 PM

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I choose not to believe TEPCO press releases.They have been lying all along. They told us at first that there was no explosion, that the roof had collapsed. They knew they were in the process of a meltdown before the explosion occurred.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I agree entirely. They're trying to save their own asses instead of being honest with the population. My guess is the investigation down the line will reveal a bunch of safety violations.
edit on 12-3-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I choose not to believe TEPCO press releases.They have been lying all along. They told us at first that there was no explosion, that the roof had collapsed. They knew they were in the process of a meltdown before the explosion occurred.

Of course they knew. Just as they know (or suspect) that this is going to effect those outside the 60km evacuation radius, as well. The damage will be seen over many years and what is the guess that those effected will be compensated, 'eh? How does one even prove that they were?
edit on 12-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Wow. So the video is showing the big explosion and resulting plume of smoke/steam that we were assuming would never happen, right?

So, where does this leave us? More on the Chernobyl scale now, right? Please say I'm wrong. Please, please please.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

7:15am More on the danger posed by that second developing problem at the Fukushima nuclear power plant. A Tokyo Electric Power Co spokesman said: All the functions to keep cooling water levels in No.3 reactor have failed at the Fukushima No.1 plant. As of 5:30am, water injection stopped and inside pressure is rising slightly. An emergency report on the plant's condition has been filed with the government, he added.

6:56am AFP says the operator of the Fukushima nuclear power plant, where a second reactor system is overheating, says there is a risk of a second explosion. We'll keep you updated right here.

Updates

I think it's very sad how CNN lies to us. They say "Since the explosion, radiation levels have dropped" Yet they keep widening the evacuation area. I'm tired of all of the BS they're shoveling.
edit on 12-3-2011 by 2012TheEnd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
CONFIRMED! Detection of materials indicates fission of uranium present....

Nuclear accident rated at level 4 The Japanese government rates the accident at the Fukushima Number One nuclear power plant at level 4 on an international scale of 0 to 7.

Two radioactive substances, cesium and radioactive iodine, were detected near the Number One reactor at the plant on Saturday. Their presence indicates nuclear fission of uranium.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said that fuel in the reactor partially melted. It's the first such accident in Japan. A level 4 on the International Nuclear and Radiologocal Event Scale includes damage to fuel and release of significant quantities of radioactive material within an installation.

It's the same level as a criticality accident at a nuclear fuel processing plant in Tokai Village in Ibaraki Prefecture, south of Fukushima, in 1999. The agency called the accident very regrettable even though it was triggered by an earthquake. Sunday, March 13, 2011 07:08 +0900 (JST)

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Bad news...

edit on 12-3-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 2012TheEnd

I think it is more accurate to understand that information is fluid at this time and CNN, FOX, and even Japanese media are reporting what they get as they get it.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

press conference going on now, i still think they are downplaying it a bit

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I have been getting disgusted with US media for a while, but having to go to other sources for information is pathetic. I don't understand why, unless the order comes from up top, that the media is not reporting the events correctly.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012TheEnd

I think it's very sad how CNN lies to us. They say "Since the explosion, radiation levels have dropped" Yet they keep widening the evacuation area. I'm tired of all of the BS they're shoveling.
edit on 12-3-2011 by 2012TheEnd because: (no reason given)

WHY would anyone expect them to tell US, aka the insignificant little people, the TRUTH??? They are globalist-owned and controlled. Don't we all know what THAT means? Just keep repeating a lie and it soon becomes the truth.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
So, after watching this situation for 13-hours straight yesterday, which was getting very little media coverage (outside of Japan anyway); imagine my surprise when I get up today and all the MSM are talking about a "melt-down". Gee, I'm like ... where the F__ were all these guys yesterday?

Thanks everyone who's been posting (credible) links with information since then!
I'm still going back and trying to "catch-up" and read everything posted over the last 13-14 hours!

Anyway, I know some people here are skeptical about TEPCO's press releases, but at the very least they are the "Official" / PTB view of things. They can also serve to (later) confirm things that were heard elsewhere. So, here are the most recently available ones for each Fukushima plant:

Fukushima Daiichi (aka Fukushima I):
Plant Status of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (as of 2am March 13th, local/Tokyo time)

Only a few interesting things in that release:

- Reactor has been shut down. However, the unit is under inspection due to the explosive sound and white smoke that was confirmed after the big quake occurred at 3:36PM.
- We have been injecting sea water and boric acid which absorbs neutron into the reactor core.

Casualty
- 2 workers of cooperative firm were injured at the occurrence of the earthquake, and were transported to the hospital.
- 1 TEPCO employee who was not able to stand by his own with his hand holding left chest was transported to the hospital by an ambulance.
- 1 subcontract worker at important earthquake-proof building was unconscious and transported to the hospital by an ambulance.
- The radiation exposure of 1 TEPCO employee, who was working inside the reactor building, exceeded 100mSv and was transported to the hospital.
- 4 workers were injured and transported to the hospital after explosive sound and white smoke were confirmed around the Unit 1.
- Presence of 2 TEPCO employees at the site are not confirmed

Others
- We measured radioactive materials inside of the nuclear power station area (outdoor) by monitoring car and confirmed that radioactive materials level is higher than ordinary level. Also, the level at monitoring post is higher than ordinary level. We will continue to monitor in detail the possibility of radioactive material being discharged from exhaust stack or discharge canal. The national government has instructed evacuation for those local residents within 20km radius of the periphery because it's possible that radioactive materials are discharged.

Fukushima Daini (aka Fukushima II):
Plant Status of Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station (as of 11pm March 12th, local/Tokyo time)

Nothing particularly new or interesting in the Daini release.

Note: As always, emphasis in the quotes added by poster (i.e. me)

edit on 2011-3-12 by EnhancedInterrogator because: spelling,f ormatting, etc.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by pforkp
Al Jazeera's live blog seems to be a good source for updates on the nuke situation as they become available.

Thanks for that link!
I must agree Al Jazeera has been a very good source for this event.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I know how you all feel, I watched 99% of what was on yesterday and they brought up the plant only a couple of times, to me it should have been the "big" news. I went shopping today and no one seemed to know anything was going on. Makes you wonder if some are just stupid. I figured it would go, and now here we are getting the info through the grape vine rather then the MSM.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
20-DEC-04

Tokyo Electric Power Co. has decided to suspend the operations of a nuclear power reactor in Fukushima Prefecture, possibly from Sunday, due to trouble that could lead to a water leakage, informed sources said Thursday.

edit on 12-3-2011 by thisisnotaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Here's a good NHK link showing the evacuation areas ...
Evacuation area expanded to 20km radius

The prefectural government of Fukushima has expanded the evacuation area around Fukushima Number 1 Power Station from an earlier established 10-kilometer radius to a 20-kilometer radius. The decision was made at the instruction of the prime minister's office shortly before 6:30 PM, local time, at a nuclear disaster task force meeting on Saturday. The prefectural government is working to determine which towns and villages fall under the new evacuation order. It is maintaining an evacuation instruction for a 10-kilometer radius around the Number 2 Power Station. Saturday, March 12, 2011 20:14 +0900 (JST)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Here's an interesting NHK link talking about bad information being spread virally on the Internet ..
False claims circulating by e-mail

In the wake of the devastating earthquake in northeastern Japan, chain e-mails and misinformation are circulating on the Internet. E-mails warn that a massive fire at an oil refinery in Chiba triggered by the quake could contaminate rainfall with toxic substances. They advise people to use umbrellas and raincoats for protection. The oil company that operates the refinery says that what the message suggests is not true. It notes that the liquefied petroleum gas from tanks which has burned off hardly affects the human body. The chain e-mails apparently aim to gain attention by propagating sensationalist misinformation. On Twitter, groundless warnings, including one reading that "another quake will hit western Japan", have been posted. In some malicious messages, people pretending to be quake victims called for help. The government warns such misinformation could spread fast on the Internet, hampering rescue and evacuation efforts of those actually affected by the quake. It advises people to reference any claims found in e-mails with information provided by local authorities and relevant companies. Sunday, March 13, 2011 07:09 +0900 (JST)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Just watched CNN's Wolf Blitzer interviewing the Japanese Ambassador. He spoke as if the
reactor is still be cooled down and that a meltdown is not occuring - he was twisting the info
a bit at times as he went back to talking about the other reactor and said their was a melt
there at one point,???. I don't get it, maybe because I am not an expert on Nuclear Power plants
but with a widespread evacuation I think a meltdown is occuring, their just playing it down.
That is not the thing to do as people in other countries have friends and family there. I have
one friend whose brother and his family are there and she cannot contact them, she is a
wreck but she wants the truth!

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join