It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 222.htm
<< 219  220  221    223  224  225 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
TheRedneck

Wasn't there also a report that at one of the reactors (#2?) that material was already dropping-down into the "wet-well"? (which I believe was mentioned was actually dry at that point)?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

There are two ways to get plutonium. It is produced from the uranium during normal reactor operation, and it can then be reused as MOX fuel. All fuel rods that have been used for any length of time contain some plutonium, but that does not mean they are MOX.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

TEPCO : RENEWED NUCLEAR CHAIN REACTION FEARED

Reactor No. 4 - Under maintenance when quake struck, no fuel rods in reactor core, temperature in spent-fuel storage pool reached 84 C on Monday, fire Tuesday possibly caused by hydrogen explosion at pool holding spent fuel rods, fire observed Wednesday at building housing reactor, pool water level feared receding, renewed nuclear chain reaction feared, only frame remains of reactor building roof.

Kyodo News, 19th March

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

That video was posted on the 16th, so I don't know how it's still relevant. And plus, the problems with it have been covered on the thread which originally posted it. The alleged three-digit numbers are obviously photoshopped, and very badly and quickly, as you can see them running off the edge of the circle.

Sorry, but some dude's 'shopped screenshots are not convincing me. It's misinfo like this that crowds up this thread from the real info it was all about for the first 150 pages. I am ready for fallout and fully expect it----but I'm not going to be taken for a ride until it's real.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Here is a chart that shows how the color of steel changes as it gets hotter the chart stops at Lemon color @ 996C / 1825F, steel would be a very bright white at 3000F, has anyone seen a night time picture of the Fukushima plant?
www.muggyweld.com...
Breaches or leaks would not show that kind of heat only a complete melt down would...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

So they're admitting they're not "shut down" and "fine, fine, stable and great!" About time. We've known there was a nuclear reaction going on here since Friday night! Glad they finally caught up.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Not true. Weapons-grade material must be both a neutron emitter and highly unstable. Which, incidentally means that plutonium cannot operate by itself as a nuclear bomb, since it emits alpha particles instead of neutrons. It can be an accelerant, but a neutron emitter such as uranium must be used to allow for chain reaction.

The only way radioactive materials that do not meet both specifications can be used in a bomb is a 'dirty bomb', which is just an explosive with nuclear material around it... not a nuclear explosive.

The hydrogen explosions before were the equivalent of a 'dirty bomb', but were not nuclear in nature.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The conflicting information regarding the situation of the workers at the plant continues....

After the fire at n.4 , 2 workers were reported missing
(i don't believe they escaped)

www.smh.com.au...

They are known as the "Fukushima 50" and two of them are missing after an explosion and fire at one of the reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant yesterday and a new fire there today.

The thing is that NISA (nuclear and industrial safety agency) states that the two missing workers are a result of the earthquake, along with many other injuries, not the explosions that came after.

mmmm

If two people went missing inside the turbines at n.4 because of the earthquake this would mean that this building was damaged by the earthquake more than we think.

There is a chance however that they have already started lying about the casualties directly related to the reactors faults.

Unfortunately, it also means there are 2 dead persons inside the n.4 monster, making the whole thing even more sinister.

1. Injury due to earthquake
- Two employees (slightly)
- Two subcontract employees (one fracture in both legs)
- Two missing (TEPCO’s employee, missing in the turbine building of Unit 4)
- One emergency patient (According to the local prefecture, one patient of cerebral infarction was transported by the ambulance).
- Ambulance was requested for one employee complaining the pain at left chest outside of control area (conscious).
- Two employees complaining discomfort wearing full-face mask in the main control room were transported to the industrial doctor of Fukushima Dai-ni NPS.

2. Injury due to the explosion of Unit 1 of Fukushima Dai-ichi NPS
- Four employees were injured at the explosion and smoke of Unit 1 around turbine building (out of control area) and were examined by Kawauchi clinic.

3. Injury due to the explosion of Unit 3 of Fukushima Dai-ichi NPS
- Four TEPCO’s employees
- Three subcontractor employee

- Four members of Self-Defence Force (one of them was transported to
National Institute of Radiological Sciences considering internal possible
exposure. The examination resulted in no internal exposure. The
member was discharged from the institute on March 16th.)

www.nisa.meti.go.jp...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

No:

www.enviroreporter.com...

Im going too fast to wait for a slow loading website, my nerves are too shot, kids are playing outside at the playground, our backyard adjoins a school. And my sons friend just showed up not in the least in the know of any risks, so I'm very very concerned that the leaders have not prepared people with even some rudimentary things.

The high spikes were noted on those videos, and by another posting on GLP. The reports of higher readings wil come in. So its them versus us, and our observations. So you can trust them of course, if you wish. I personally want them in jail for treason and crimes against humanity, so I don't place one degree, or even one micoservient of a degree of trust in them

Getting truth out now is going to be grassroots from people, it won't be from them.

Oh radiation sticks to aliminum, so chemtrails woudl definitely be bad areas now.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Are saying that the DailyMail is not reporting accurately? They had a reporter at the press conference and he reported what was said. These are quotes from Japanese officials. What do you believe to be false in that article?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

No. The chain reaction increases with the amount of uranium involved... there is an amount of radioactive substance called a 'critical mass', that when combined produces enough neutrons to keep the reaction going. This is the worry with a meltdown; when the fuel is solid and in the rods, the amount that is together with itself is less than the critical mass, so no runaway chain reaction occurs. The control rods absorb neutrons and thus keep the fuel rods effectively separated.

Once the rods melt, they are not as well separated from each other by the control rods, and if they melt enough, they are not separated at all. This produces a critical mass and means the pool of uranium will continue to react with itself in a runaway chain reaction. It matters not how cold or hot it is at that point; all that matters is it is in contact with a critical mass.

That is why the meltdown cannot be stopped by cooling. All that could possibly happen is preventing the fuel rods from coming into even closer contact with each other by making them solid again. If they are already pooled together, however, it just doesn't matter.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Journalist reports 3000 cpm

www.voanews.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

I believe so.... was that at reactor #2?

Sheesh, it's getting hard to keep up...

Anyway, that would indicate pooling, which means all the cooling in the world will do no good. You can cool a critical mass of uranium of the temperature of liquid nitrogen and it will just keep reacting and heating back up.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

I'm just asking for a source for the quotes---especially the weeping----from another reputable source. DailyMail doesn't give any sources other than its own reporting, and while I don't blame them for not downplaying this crisis like with their much-posted article from the other day that finally sounded the alarm in the MSM, I also don't put it past them to either "misquote" people when there are no other sources to refute it, or to seriously exaggerate things. I can't find any other sources for this "weeping" dude than blogs, tabloids and GLProductions (not surprisingly). I just want some verification, you know?

ETA: I would just think that if some official was weeping over the nuke crisis in front of reporters at a press conference and admitting the radiation was much bigger than reported, this would be all over CNN as we speak. They may be the MSM, but they love a good cryer. Look at Boehner (rimshot! Just a joke, kidding)
edit on 18-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Hey Redneck have you seen this research paper?

Experiments on Ballooning in Pressurized and Transiently Heated Zircaloy-4 Tubes

Cliff note for those geeks, like myself, who read this stuff for fun:

Wrought Zirconium and Zirconium Alloy seamless tubes for nuclear reactor fuel cladding (ASTM B811 Gr.Z-4) will burst between 709°C (94 bar) – 1012°C (6.5 bar).
These are quick and dirty averages based on the NRG test specimens (table pg.16):
Average Burst Pressure: 60.89 bar (883 psi)
Average Burst temp: 772.34°C
Average Burst strain (%) : 75.50
Average Burst stress (MPa): 59.72
Average Axial strain (%): -2.34
Average Time to burst (sec): 393.78

Seems to me that both in the reactor core and in the coolant ponds, these temps and pressures would be very easy to reach. To say that there has been a partial melt seems to be grasping at best. Melt temps. should easily exceed 1012°C easily. And 6.5 bar (94 psi) is next to nothing.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

The head of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Gregory Jaczko, says it could take weeks to cool the reactors. .

Reuters live feed

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

So I know one stupid thing they had at Chernobyl was the graphite control rods that burned, and it's been stated that's not the case here, but I seem to remember a diagram posted very very early on in the thread giving a picture of what the reactors looked like and how they were made on the inside and where the cooling was, and one thing I noticed was that it said it had a graphite casing or whatever for the whole set of rods and control rods, like the thing that holds them all in place when shut down. I forget what it was called, I will go back and search the thread for the pic after I post this, but do you know if that's the case in these reactors? I never said anything about it because I figured if these actually used the graphite, it would be mentioned as the same risk during full meltdown.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Imperium Americana

The guy from IAEA that I was talking to suggested the zircaloy tubes undergo a hardening process where a layer of zirconium dioxide is created. How does this change the equation, seeing as we are going there once again?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator
Anyway, that would indicate pooling, which means all the cooling in the world will do no good. You can cool a critical mass of uranium of the temperature of liquid nitrogen and it will just keep reacting and heating back up.
TheRedneck

Doesn't the geometry of the "wet-well" provide more space and cause it to spread-out?

edit on 2011-3-18 by EnhancedInterrogator because: spelling, grammar, formatting, etc.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Man I've just finished viewing some videos about spent fuel management on youtube, and I can tell you right now that I'm scared to death. How did we ever end up using a technology producing such a waste that can las for 200.000yrs...and now they are about cause big trouble in Japan.

Go ahed and watch some videos on you tube tag them with spent fuel management.

new topics

top topics

<< 219  220  221    223  224  225 >>

join