It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 221.htm
<< 218  219  220    222  223  224 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by Unity_99

That's not what that article says---it says that only 6% of the fuel in #3 was MOX, and all other reactors used only uranium, but that plutonium is a byproduct of all of their fission processes.

I can read English thank you very much:

The fuel rods at all six reactors at the stricken Fukushima Dai-ichi complex contain plutonium — better known as fuel for nuclear weapons. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by letscit
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

okay ive heard just about enough of all this junk. for everyone--EVERYONE who feels radiation is just a beautiful and fine thing to intake into your body, than take some for the world to see and let us monitor you and your bodies reaction. that way by you saying it is safe and then by ingesting what you say is fine for me an my family, you will earn must respect and we will actually believe you. anything other that doing that, you can keep your bulls**t lies to yourself about how awesome radiation is for the body. dumba**es !!

I believe you are posting this to the wrong guy. I am saying one microgram of plutonium kills you.??
If you are, its okey. I am tense to, the past days.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Um, your snark isn't necessary. And what you said was:

Well, 6 X reactor 3. They all used MOX fuel

They DO NOT, in any way, ALL use MOX fuel. Only ONE used MOX fuel, the rest have byproduct plutonium. If you don't understand the difference, please google it.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure he was reffering to Amy and Fox news from that video you posted, but I could be wrong

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I think he was tipped off by the Wicked Witch video, and was just reacting to the others in here who seem to agree with her.

But yeah, this situation is crazy tense! I can't understand why more people aren't stressed......oh yeah.....because they're not paying attention.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by brokenbullet56

Thanks bb56 -- don't know what to say, I am just in awe over our carelessness.... "Nuclear cowboys" is what the narrator called them, and I think it's pretty accurate.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Yukitup

Ya apparently they did a real good cover up of it to cause until I started looking up some nuclear stuff regarding Japan I knew nothing about it, and everyone I brought it up to had no idea either.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by brokenbullet56

I'm pretty sure he was reffering to Amy and Fox news from that video you posted, but I could be wrong

Yes and my comment attached to that was. That Amy should ask Ann Coulter to join each other to tell the people of Japan the radiation is good for them. (sarcastic meaning)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Plutonium fuel isn't MOX to you? And sorry, for snapping, this isn't a minor incident. I don't have a clue what the short term ramifications are for anyone far away, but Japan and those nations closer will have some severe ones and need to be evacuated. World wide contamination is going to be severe.

60 nuke equivalency is what I keep reading in my search today. I read before, last year that it only takes 7 or 8 or some number under 10 to render the entire northern hemisphere lifeless. Now those would be use of modern missiles? I don't know what the equivalency is for this kind of stuff. We need to think, children, grandchildren and the future of this planet.

So, sorry about being tense, this is Mox Fuel. They said plutonium in the fuel.

It has fission potential, well that Shroom seemed fission to me.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Anything radioactive can be used in nuclear weapons. Even the stuff in your fire alarms. Do we evacuate 3 houses over when a house burns down? Because that's what you're talking about to scale.

And, only 3 reactors are affected. only 1 or 2 are in serious condition, and are under control.

I still see no increased radioactivity on the California gigacounter, and I still see people there working. You are putting a spin on this.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Yeah, I've been here since day one, have not downplayed a single aspect of this crisis, and in fact have been on the "alarmed" side. Please don't act like you know anything about me or my feelings.

There is a HUGE difference between MOX fuel and byproduct plutonium. If you don't know the difference by now, I know you haven't read very much of this thread. I have. The difference has been explained many times. I refer you to start learning about the differences with the simple wikipedia article on the subject:

MOX fuel stands for Mixed oxide fuel. This type of nuclear fuel contains more than one oxide of fissionable material (more on fissile and fertile material). Specifically, MOX fuel refers to a blend of plutonium and natural uranium, reprocessed uranium, or depleted uranium. For example, a mixture of 7% Pu / 93% U (Plutonium/Uranium) reacts similarly - although not identically - to low-enriched uranium fuel that most nuclear reactors were designed for. MOX fuel is an alternative to low enriched uranium (LEU) fuel used in the light water reactors that predominate nuclear power generation.

In every uranium-based nuclear reactor core there is both fission of isotopes such as uranium-235 (235 92U), and the formation of new, heavier isotopes due to neutron capture, primarily by uranium-238 (238 92U). Most of the fuel mass in a reactor is 238 92U. This can become plutonium-239 (239 94Pu) and by successive neutron capture plutonium-240 (240 94Pu), plutonium-241 (241 94Pu), plutonium-242 (242 94Pu) and other transuranic or actinide isotopes. 239 94Pu and 241 94Pu are fissile, like 235 92U. Small quantities of uranium-236 (236 92U), neptunium-237 (237 93Np) and plutonium-238 (238 94Pu) are formed similarly from 235 92U. Normally, with the fuel being changed every three years or so, most of the 239 94Pu is "burned" in the reactor. It behaves like 235 92U, with a slightly higher cross section for fission, and its fission releases a similar amount of energy. Typically about one percent of the spent fuel discharged from a reactor is plutonium, and some two thirds of the plutonium is 239 94Pu.

And furthermore, you keep ranting about "the mushroom cloud, OMG!" There has been NO NUCLEAR EXPLOSIONS, PERIOD. If you don't understand this and why, you have further demonstrated that you have missed the vast majority of good information in this thread, as explained by TheRedneck.
edit on 18-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I have great respect for everyone who has provided even the slightest comment or piece of information in this thread...We are tired, worried and sick tired of the lies. This affects how we react to each other, remember that when answering or replying. Its not personal, its the situation.

Lets keep it together and keep up the work of trying to make sense of what is happening so we can have an edge when its needed. Some have just joined the thread so remember that. Their concerns can seem like irrelevances to those that have been here since day one.

Lets try and honestly get our heads together.

Respects
edit on 18-3-2011 by captiva because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-3-2011 by captiva because: Tired, spelling

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

I honestly have no idea... they originally had a portable generator in place after the first suspected meltdown, so maybe they are still using it?

This new power line will probably just provide more power than the generator. My guess, anyway.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

ALERT! RADIATION reaches USA - BAKERSFIELD CALIFORNIA ! March 16, 2011 - 234 uR per hour

Well private readers give a little higher readers than this site, which I rather figured wouldn't be accurate.
www.radiationnetwork.com...

This video I believe more than what they're saying, and it shows the cloud splitting from the ocean and the cloud directions.

She shows the figures that came up temporarily at Bakersfield, CA.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)[/editby

My advice is to prepare for the worst case scenario. Someone said it spiked to over 284 yesterday San Bernadino. There are going to be reports of higher readings, and I believe ordinary people over any news report.

So translation is to stay in, when the cloud comes near, for a bit of time anyway.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours
She says radiation is good for you
edit on 18-3-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

Just like hexavalent chromium!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I am not sure, but am I correct to state that a meltdown can be paused or flat out stopped while it's happening by means of pouring huge amounts of coolant on it? I mean, any damaged done to the reactor are stopped and the fuel rods are the only problem left. Once they're just let to sit in coolant, it gets easier. Correct?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

As of March 18th , power from offsite transmission line has received until temporary substation for backup power. Now, cabling to unit receiving facility is underway.

TEPCO press release. full here - www.tepco.co.jp...
And JAIF says that the cable is being laid to unit #2
www.jaif.or.jp...

edit on 18-3-2011 by AstraCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

Anything radioactive can be used in nuclear weapons. Even the stuff in your fire alarms. Do we evacuate 3 houses over when a house burns down? Because that's what you're talking about to scale.

And, only 3 reactors are affected. only 1 or 2 are in serious condition, and are under control.

I still see no increased radioactivity on the California gigacounter, and I still see people there working. You are putting a spin on this.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

Under control, in what sense? This is still an extremely serious problem that is not anywhere near under control.
Here is news from today.

Officials admit they may have to bury reactors under concrete - as happened at Chernobyl

Government says it was overwhelmed by the scale of twin disasters

Japanese upgrade accident from level four to five - the same as Three Mile Island

We will rebuild from scratch says Japanese prime minister

Particles spewed from wrecked Fukushima power station arrive in California

Military trucks tackle reactors with tons of water for second day

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Prime Minister Naoto Kan said Japan’s nuclear crisis remained “very grave” as forecasts indicated changing winds could start moving radiation closer to Tokyo by the end of the weekend.

www.bloomberg.com...

So what is under control exactly?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Guys, we really have to stop circulating DailyMail articles that are original reporting and have no sources. If they run an article where all the quotes and facts are sourced, then great. But this one hasn't a single source or citation for its claims that I can verify independently.

That should give you pause.

top topics

<< 218  219  220    222  223  224 >>

join