It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 214.htm
<< 211  212  213    215  216  217 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Without going back through the entire thread Im assuming that these pics have been shown......

Nice and airy hole which shows a lovely green crane

and then what lays below that huge hole and the lovely green crane

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by xfooln

Hey thanks for your reply, I hadn't thought of the behavior from that perspective, but I think you are right about it being an evolutionary mechanism.

would have been a private msg but I can't, anyway thanks

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
If this has already been addressed, please delete. TY, Des

Japan Reaches Out to U.S. in 'Race Against the Clock' to Avert Nuclear Disaster

Published March 18, 2011

| FoxNews.com

Japan reached out Friday to the U.S. for help in reining in the crisis at its dangerously overheated nuclear complex as the country raised the severity of the accident on-hand.

Japan's nuclear safety agency has raised the rating of the country's nuclear accident from 4 to 5 on a 7-level international scale.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ljonesyuk
Without going back through the entire thread Im assuming that these pics have been shown......

Nice and airy hole which shows a lovely green crane

and then what lays below that huge hole and the lovely green crane

Thanks for the photos lioonesyuk -- fascinating. Is the bottom photo from inside the plant that we are looking at in the top photo? (while they're similar, they don't seem to match up...)

link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thanks. The well-intentioned don't have to feel uncomfortable about the paradoxical pleasure. Those who left off torturing their cat to follow this "fun" thread should go spell the TETCO workers at the site a couple of days. Great job you're doing here.

link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by dvrt10

Looking for link on Fox, it was on the news about an hour or so ago. Will post when I find it.
I googled US, Ultimatum, 24 hours, Japan, Reactors together.....

I got no hits that meant anything.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I just saw this latest news. Workers withdrawn again today due to high levels of radiation.

Radiation hampers efforts to restore power to nuclear plant in Japan

Efforts to try to restore power to reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi complex are interrupted as high radiation forces the withdrawal of workers. But it's unclear whether a return of power will help. Spent fuel rods remain the biggest concern.

www.latimes.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
How Bad is the Reactor Meltdown in Japan?

online.itp.ucsb.edu...

Lecture on the meltdown in Japan.

Not sure how good it is, downloading now.

link   
UPDATE : Japan Considers Use Of Concete To Bury Plant

Japanese nuclear engineers are now considering using concrete to cover the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant.

The move, considered as a last resort to avert a catastrophic radiation release, was also used to seal huge leakages from Chernobyl. It comes after authorities raised the alert level to five, just two shy of the maximum
www.euronews.net...

edit on 18-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

So far as I know, #5 and #6 have sustained no serious damage. They might even be operable (although I wouldn't suggest powering them up right now). In any case, there is a good chance they will be able to counteract any temperature rises in them, at least temporarily.

Reactor #2 is a different story. I still maintain, based on previous reports, that it contains a reactor core breach and is therefore one of the highest dangers on that site. I think attempting to use normal cooling methods will only send more radioactive steam into the air and create a larger disaster when it comes back down.

The only reason I can fathom that they are targeting it along with #5 and #6 is that the building has sustained the least damage of the 4 troubled units. Someone in charge over there is not understanding that this is a nuclear disaster, not just a disaster with radiation. Nuclear reactions require specialized operations and different techniques than any other type of power production.

It is still a dog and pony show, as you put it, though, because the radiation from any of the damaged units is enough to make future operation in that area physically impossible, and future operation over the span of months is required before anything cools back to a semblance of normal, even under the best of predictions.

But, the military, who are adept at breaking things and killing people, are now in charge. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I just found this page that allows you to track the plume. It looks like only a small bit of radiation has reached the US at this point, but the main section of the plume is hovering close to shore as we speak:

Track Plume

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Finally this option is made public after so many days of over optimism from the Japanese government. I can tell you this plan has been discussed for a few days now behind the scenes. I hope it will not come down to abandonment and entombing the reactors. It may end up the only option.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dvrt10

Seems like that is based off old info...I say that cause it has already begun hitting the US this morning.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dvrt10

It's not "tracking" anything, it's a simulation and forecast based on data from about 4 days ago.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by letscit
reply to post by Unity_99

i am with you. what i am wondering is: they just reported that radiation levels have risen slightly in cali. according to epa, but that is the same as going for an x-ray. now, does this mean we should be wearing a lead chest protector and only be exposed for a few seconds? that is what ya do at the doctor. also i heard somewhere that you are only suppoed to have 1 x-ray every 6 months due to the danger. i dont know if its true but if it is should we only go outside once every 6 months as not to be harmed?

Are they actually saying its like going for an xray?

We only get that for a short period of time, not ongoing! That is way worse than an xray, unless they mean the whole combo.

Also, the rays from the particles are one thing, its the particles!

Heavy metal detox and infared saunas are needed.

Our food production is going to be harmed. Not to mention the whole environment. Despite this, I am not going to tiptoe around the outside and will go out if I have to.

I am far more worried about Japan. But that may change in a full meltdown of all 6, we might be a lot more worried.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Can someone please explain to me why they cannot yet entomb the plant. I am hearing various scientists and armchair scientists screaming about how that's what they should do, and that's what they did at Chernobyl, but then I read bits about how certain things need to be cooled first. So which is it as I'm confused !

If they have to cool things 1st, what exactly must they cool. And if they can't cool these things, does that mean entombing is no-go and the plant just gets abandoned ?

And if they could entomb it, won't the meltdown just continue beneath the concrete and go into the ground and water table...?

Thanks in advance...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Foreign Companies Step Up Evacuation Efforts....everyone is bailing now...I would not want to be looking for a flight out tonight.

online.wsj.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Maybe ... I'm not really sure -- it seems different than the simulations I saw a few days ago. I got it from the article below (by clicking on the link that says 'Track the Plume Live').

Official: Minuscule Levels of Radiation Have Reached SoCal

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
According to the lecture that I linked before, the spent nuclear fuel at reactor 4 has already melted right through, and it's only a matter of time before it melts through the basemat.
edit on 18/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by letscit

Can you link to this report of it being "x-ray" levels in California? I'm not finding anything that indicates levels that high in the US. Are you combining the plume reaching the US and the readings from Japan? Because levels in the US are nowhere near x-ray levels right now.

new topics

top topics

<< 211  212  213    215  216  217 >>

join