It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 210.htm
<< 207  208  209    211  212  213 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AstraCat

As posted earlier, 'cat, most of the infrastructure of the reactor vessels and the assorted pumps is way below ground level, and several of the photos posted show what appears to be the upper torus of the reactor vessel itself...

in the late 80's I hauled tools and equipment for Westinghouse and GE to many of the nuke plants here in the US; several of them are the same Mark 1 BWR units as at Fukushima, and the pumps/piping and heat exchangers are below anything we can see in any of these photos.; it is possible that the actual cooling circulation systems are un-damaged unless affected by heat from the meltdowns;

would it make any difference if the pumps could be re-started? At this point, who knows?

seeker

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
About the color of the molten core - it's orange like lava. Not shining brightly. It's not getting white hot as it cools down the same time it melts everything.

Edited to answer the above: pumping water wouldn't make difference any more - just slows down the melting process a tiny bit.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Styrge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styrge
About the color of the molten core - it's orange like lava. Not shining brightly. It's not getting white hot as it cools down the same time it melts everything.

Edited to answer the above: pumping water wouldn't make difference any more - just slows down the melting process a tiny bit.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't pumping water at the later stages of a meltdown very dangerous?

The risk of a steam explosion should make them think twice about adding water now.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Coming across on foxnews Japan fallout reaches California, no specifics just yet.

VIENNA -- A diplomat with access to U.N tracking of Japan's radioactive fallout says it has reached Southern California but first readings are "about a billion times beneath levels that would be health threatening." The diplomat was citing readings Friday from California-based measuring station of the Vienna-based CTBTO. He asked for anonymity because the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization does not make its data public. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

edit on 18-3-2011 by jaynkeel because: add link

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
BUTCHERGUY: Yes, but the reactor is vented so well, intentionally or not, that explosion is unlikely.

Though there is no reason to take the risk...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Update 2:38 p.m. A small amount of radiation, the coast of southern California reached. That said a diplomat from Associated Press recently. The amount is according to the diplomat, however, "one billion times below the levels that would threaten public health."

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by the seeker_713g
reply to post by AstraCat

As posted earlier, 'cat, most of the infrastructure of the reactor vessels and the assorted pumps is way below ground level, and several of the photos posted show what appears to be the upper torus of the reactor vessel itself...

pictures like this show that reactor core is nearly all above the ground.

I really hope that they are incorrect.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
found latest radiation monitoring station levels posted around fukushisma dai-ichi area for those who are interested, from 15th to 18th march, readings seem to be measured in microsievert/hour compared to microsievert/year per the chart shown, not sure about needing conversion, anyhow here they are,

www.mext.go.jp...

www.mext.go.jp...

www.nisa.meti.go.jp...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Least amount of radiation that can be separated from the normal background fluctuation is 0,2 microSv/h, so now they got that in California. (Unless they take isotope samples that can separate a single atom.) Hundred times that - 20 microSv/h - is a public health issue. (But not dangerous in a less than a month lasting exposure. - Well, all radiation is harmful, but I ment the risk is low.)
edit on 18-3-2011 by Styrge because: added California

edit on 18-3-2011 by Styrge because: added point "dangerous is relative"

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

I've been watching www.radiationnetwork.com... and I don't see any increase. Was this on TV?
Ahh, found this from George Jahn - AP via Fox www.foxtoledo.com...

Well, if it is so miniscule, then why not release actual isotope readings. Additionally it says "a diplomat" no real source, no official source anyway.

I want an isotope reading, not just Gamma/ionising radiation from a standard Geiger counter. If the radiation is minuscule they would not be able to identify it as having come from Japan unless they had done some sort of isotope analysis, right?
So, either the radiation is less than miniscule (I don't see any change on radnet (link at top of my post)) or they are refusing to release information about what isotopes are being detected. Americans; DEMAND THIS FROM YOUR STATE'S REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS! We must have complete disclosure and hold those accountable to task. I'm enraged at this point, because of the paucity of accurate information.
edit on 3/18/2011 by defenestrator because: ASfighLrihbgoqeu;tu hrgfajsknglahfg aGRRRRRRRRRR pissedoff ASJFGiahfgoawp haer345y6q465uy$#QT$rga

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by defenestrator

Link included to article says it was measured by the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization which doesn't make it's results public. Certainly isn't any major amount as being reported as of right now, but any amount above background levels is non desirable in my mind.

www.ctbto.org...

edit on 18-3-2011 by jaynkeel because: Include link to ctbto

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I am going to be a mirror for a minute, you can choose to look or look away.

First I appreciate that this forum exists, I have learned a lot this week. It is too easy to get caught up in the hysteria when its repeated often enough. The rampant speculation in this thread (and others) has been eye opening to say the least.

A lot of the speculation is due to misunderstanding the facts and propagating that misinformation. Things like what reactors have what problems, the HUGE amount of confusion over radiation measurements and levels, the fear mongering (worst case scenario people), the 'experts' who can read wikipedia.

One of the biggest misunderstandings isn't really anyones fault, until yesterday everyone thought that 1 or more primary containments were breached and omg MELTDOWN APOCALYPSE! .. however it turns out its just the spent fuel pools (still bad, but nowhere near as bad as made out here). So ALL of the hysteria was based on a false premise.

For a week most have been saying publicly that they wish the best for Japan, but privately seem to be hoping for more disaster because frankly its entertaining when its not happening to you. Now that things are under control you can really see this because there are a lot of people who are still trying to say 'its not over, its still bad, they are lying, etc..)

Just be happy, thankful, and relieved.

Look at yourselves objectively and try to learn from this, next time there is a disaster don't be so quick to assume (and hope) for the worst and try to work in doomsday beliefs (num 11, comet, cayce, mayans, etc..)

PS. I shouldn't have to say this but its the internet so - This OPINION of mine doesn't apply to everyone here, you know if I'm talking about you, and most people should know who I'm talking about. I thought about naming some names but I don't think its necessary.

Thanks,

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I just heard that the US officials believe that the spent fuel pool in reactor #4 is breached. It will not hold water for long so they would have to continuously spray/dump water on it since it is leaking out. Not good at all.

U.S. government nuclear experts believe a spent fuel pool at Japan’s crippled Fukushima reactor complex has a breach in the wall or floor, a situation that creates a major obstacle to refilling the pool with cooling water and keeping dangerous levels of radiation from escaping.

www.floridaoilspilllaw.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

More on the #4 spent fuel pool breach.

It was compelling evidence, they said, that the wall of the No. 4 reactor pool has a significant hole or crack. …

A breach in the pool would leave engineers with a problem that has no precedent or ready-made solution, said Edwin Lyman, a physicist with the Union of Concerned Scientists.

“My intuition is that this is a terrible situation and it is only going to get worse,” he said. “There may not be any way to deal with it.”

www.latimes.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bitbytebit

Personally I see it different. 9 times out of 10 the good informed people on this site have called them out on their false claims. Every time they stated that things are going great some of the brighter minds on here have said that can't be possible and show how it can't be possible and later we find out that those people on here were in fact correct. So nice try.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Are you expert enough on this situation to be able to say whether or not many of us here have been overreacting and "scare mongering"? Are you even able to refute any of our specific claims... or are you just speculating?

If you are an expert, by all means, feel free to actually contradict some of the points made by the more informed members here, such as TheRedNeck Post.

I'm quite sure the great majority of us will be VERY happy to see you debunk our information!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

One of the biggest misunderstandings isn't really anyones fault, until yesterday everyone thought that 1 or more primary containments were breached and omg MELTDOWN APOCALYPSE! .. however it turns out its just the spent fuel pools (still bad, but nowhere near as bad as made out here). So ALL of the hysteria was based on a false premise.
Are you sure that this is not the case now? I am speaking to evidence that there is no breaches. The pools are intact? I have not seen the case for that.

You have evidence other than TEPCO's press releases that have been dubious from the start?
The Japanese government has been releasing info that is very hard to believe too.

edit on 18-3-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a few more reports from JAIF, all in PDF
Sequence of Developments at Nuclear Power Stations Affected by the Earthquake (till March 17) - www.jaif.or.jp...

Current Status of Units 1 to 4 at Fukushima Daiichi NPS (as of noon, March 17, 2011) - www.jaif.or.jp...

Status of nuclear power plants in Fukushima as of 16:00 March 18 (Estimated by JAIF) - www.jaif.or.jp...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko

Are you expert enough on this situation to be able to say whether or not many of us here have been overreacting and "scare mongering"? Are you even able to refute any of our specific claims... or are you just speculating?

What specific claims?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Though i appreciate the need for calm in a disaster situation the lack of credible information from Japanese sources is the cause of this panic and misunderstanding. Frankly i don't think anyone really knows whats going on at Fukushima's nuclear plant as nobody has been in this situation before. We all hope for the best but want to know what's really happening. I guess only time will tell.

top topics

<< 207  208  209    211  212  213 >>

join