It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 189.htm
<< 186  187  188    190  191  192 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

The variables required to ascertain that value are unknown to me. I do not know how close the rods are packed, their actual composition (uranium or MOX), or their age.

Thus my rough calculation based on what I did know.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by momeees
I was just told by a coworker:
TEPCO, the company that owns the radiation that is leaking in Japan launced an official twitter account 4 hours ago. They have 100,000 followers so far.twitter.com/OfficialTEPCO
It just needs to be translated.

It just refers to their latest press-releases via link.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I was watching the NHK news channel briefly about 15 m ago and TEPCO are saying that the water dumping from the air on pond 3 was successful . They mentioned a drop in some sort of figures for that pond but I forgot exactly what figures. Brain is tired....
I am a bit surprised to hear them come out with this given only 2 of the 4 air dumps were successful . They plan more air drops Friday. It's 6 in the morning over there now so it can't be long before they start up again.

Several reactors are said to be in stable condition now, but pressure within them is flucctuating

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

The BBC's environment correspondent Richard Black says that it seems that delivering electrical power to Fukushima Daiichi power station offers the best hope of stabilising things. Provided that the station's electrical systems are intact and its pumps are still functional. However, our correspondent adds that it is also possible that the earthquake, tsunami, fires and explosions have knocked out some of this equipment.

This is what will be the deciding factor. What they are doing now is trying to buy time until they can restore power. If the equipment is ok then there is a chance to avert a catastrophe. If they restore power and then they find that nothing is working then there will be really no other choice but to entomb the reactors and evacuate the area for good.

I have a hard time believing that after a 9.0 quake, a tsunami and multiple hydogen explosions that any of the equipment is still operational.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
Ok here is what I'm thinking.

Redneck said a while back if the containment is gone on #1, 3 and 4 then there isn't much that can stop the glowy goo aside from the cement floor as the secondary containment is now gone. If the cores have slumped they are now burning through or have burned through the vessels. Only a matter of time before they get into the ground and connect with water etc when there could be an explosion. The rods on the roof of these buildings, no matter if they can get water into them or not in that case will get blown about and probably tossed out of the pools - especially if the building collapses.

With reactor 2 if they still have containment they are trying to buy time until the decay heat dissipates enough

#4 we don't really know if water can even get into the pool or if its intact enough to contain water. I think someone said there were holes in the side of the building.

Actually according to official sources it could be the other way round.
The containment vessel is certainly intact at n.1 and maybe also at 3. There is no such problem at 4 as it was not active at the time of the earthquake.
On the other hand, n 2 is probably damaged.
(Regarding 3 they have more doubts but there the problem are the spent fuel rods, like at number 4)

Regarding spent fuel rods, they are exposed at n3 and n 4
No info on the spent fuel pools at 1 and 2. However it is possible that spent fuel rods in these plants were older, so less flammable.

www.jaif.or.jp...
edit on 17-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Cautiously, subject to change, I think we're not going to be overly restricted in our movements, except being paranoid of rain. Its the particles that may become worldwide, and continue to affect the environment for years that is the problem. ????

Lots of vit c, a good 3 or more grams a day, and vit d, in addition to things that detox heavy metals, on a regularly basis, is probably the best we can do.

I'm going to be gardening inside this year.
edit on 17-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I was just reading about how TEPCO called dropping water with choppers on the the rods was a succes...

Doesn't that mean that the top of the reactor is gone?

Link via Google Translate
Source

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Its not possible that was a success. That is beyond belief.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Why is not possible ?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Can they entomb when everything is still hot though ? I thought there was a long period of waiting before that could take place, dutring which time all the crap is being spewed out into the air.

If they could entomb, could an explosion somewhere blast the tomb to bits?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenstorm
I was just reading about how TEPCO called dropping water with choppers on the the rods was a succes...

Doesn't that mean that the top of the reactor is gone?

Link via Google Translate
Source

see the little yellow/white light in this pic?
This is where the spent fuel rods are at 4
(the little light is normally just in a corner of the pool)

The location is Just below the damaged roof

and here is n.3
the source of the smoke is the spent fuel pool itself, so again, the pool is not in an enclosed space as such..

So the stuff can be reached by a strong water jet

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by curioustype
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Tying this up with what TheRedneck and I were saying about disclosure, I was genuinely hoping for some kind of more detailed disclosure about the findings of the USA's reconaisance and mointoring data (i.e. aerial, satellite, and that UAV Global Hawk flight announced yesterday by the Japanese).
Perhaps not from the POTUS, but perhaps preceding his speech. Too early apparently?

I agree. Pointless bullshat press conference.
No substance at all. That's why I didn't bother to quote anything in-post.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Success meaning that they manage to cover the spent fuel rods in some water so the temperature has stabilized. This is only a band-aid. Without a constant water source the water they are dumping on it will evaporate and they will have to resort to dumping more water from the air. Repeat over and over again until they can get the pumps working if they still work after all the damage.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Has anybody seen anything in MSM (television in particular - any country) about YouTube allegedly being blocked in Japan? All I've seen in "blog" or "open forum" type posts - some on news sites, but not necessarily verified.

edit on 2011-3-17 by EnhancedInterrogator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by monica86

Ok, that makes sense, ty. But if the containment is breached on #2, putting water in there doesn't sound like it would work unless they just want to keep cooling it enough to keep it from criticality - is that right? Sounds like they are risking an explosion to try to buy time. Dangerous. You folks are 'nuke schooling' me, thanks for putting up with it.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Yes, it's being blocked along with 15 other sites I think, because they need the bandwidth for emergency communications and whatnot. Facebook is still available, however.

ETA: I mention Facebook because you can use that to do almost everything the other sites are used for, except shopping. Upload video, spread news, etc. So it's not a move to be worried about, IMHO.
edit on 17-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
and are the electrical systems they are putting in place designed to operate in a high radiation environment, or are they make-shift? I mean seriously, if radiation goes up enough you will need stuff made for outerspace to be-able to handle that radiation, certainly not something we have just lying around. This is a bandaid, like the robots for pushing debris off the roof of chernobyl with, it is doomed to fail until they can design something proper for the job and get it in there.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

From what I understand. To entomb the reactors they would first have to dump tons of boron on the fuel rods to disrupt the chain reaction. This will not stop the reaction but will reduce the temperature enough so it won't melt though. Then they would dump a mix of concrete and boron on it to entomb the reactor. Once that is done a secondary barrier would be built around that to shield the radiation. South Korea is sending 52 tons of boron to Japan for this purpose. Let's hope it will not come to that.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Yes, it's being blocked along with 15 other sites I think, because they need the bandwidth for emergency communications and whatnot. Facebook is still available, however.
ETA: I mention Facebook because you can use that to do almost everything the other sites are used for, except shopping. Upload video, spread news, etc. So it's not a move to be worried about, IMHO.

Anybody got a link for that? or what station is was on?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Does anyone know how far that much will go? Seems the first bit went into a slurry?

top topics

<< 186  187  188    190  191  192 >>

join