It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 182.htm
<< 179  180  181    183  184  185 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Tokyo Passengers Trigger U.S. Airport Detectors, N.Y. Post Says

Link:
www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I'm confused, if our detectors can't detect some of this MOX radiation, how can we trust when they say "low level" radiation heading to the US? This radiation could be highly dangerous and they are doing a spin campaign just like they did with Chernobyl in the early days -- not telling the public anything was wrong, "situation normal"! Tell me... I am on the West Coast of Canada... I'm asking you people here, seriously, do I need to go somewhere and where?

Scared.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by dvrt10

If I lived in CA, I would be monitoring local news for information. If possible, I would have some KI pills just in case, but I would not take them yet! KI pills have side effects and do no good if taken too soon. I would, as a precaution, trap some water, a few gallons, to use as drinking water just in case, and store them in the refrigerator. I would make sure I had a full tank of gas in the car, again, just in case, and supplies for a trip packed and ready.

None of these preparations (except the KI pills) are going to cost anything in the long run. You will still drink the water eventually, and drive the car eventually.

If I heard of some detection, I would minimize my outside exposure as much as practical and take one KI pill. I would also begin using that stored water for potable water.

If I heard reports that suggested that radiation levels might last longer than a week, or that they may be potentially harmful after all in areas, I would probably try to move east for a short time; stay with friends for a week or two, for instance. A few hundred miles inland should be all that is needed. But I really don't expect that to happen.

Remember these are just precautions... not expected to be needed. It is always better to be safe than sorry. As I like to say, expect the best, but prepare for the worst.

TheRedneck

These are excellent tips, I would add taking iodine from kelp, or shellfish probably isn't a bad step, and it shouldn't make you sick. I'm in Idaho, have family and friends in So Cal, WA, Portland OR, and Vancouver BC.
I'm worried for everyone, but not panicked. This will likely be measured in decades and hundreds of thousands of slow cancer deaths and infant malformities. How does one calculate or compensate for a risk like that?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Just remember that they were saying yesterday that "NO" radiation would make it to the US mainland..........

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
reply to post by defenestrator

What lack of information? I have been following this thread for days now. The information has been flowing in quite steadily. The only time that information slows down is when it is 1 am in Japan. These people have to sleep you know! I am not one to back up the MSM all of the time, but the speculation is at a all time high on this thread. That is what I am getting at.

I will repeat. If "they" are not telling the truth and 40 million people get sick then I will be on the front lines fighting the sob's. If there is a cover up of the magnitude as being stated here, then it will not be long before we know. I just tend to wait on some more verifiable information before I jump on the "death" bandwagon. Remember for days now some people have said, "not long now, they are screwed."

How about an isotope analysis from Fukushima and Miyagi prefectures? That's what I want to see.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

Didn't you know the captain always goes last.

either way..the concern is starting to show

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Please remain calm. People in Western Canada will be ok. You guys may experience some low level exposure but really nothing to worry about. Right now, the people on northern Japan need to worry.

The US and Canada will be ok.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

that's right, they were saying no radiation would hit us.

Heck if you go back a few pages you can prob. still find the links to the no radiation headed for West coast links.

I think honestly we are not going to be given anymore information about this, until they have something to say about in the round about sound of WE fixed it, or something. Or stopped it. Or it explodes and does the Chernobyl thing.

link   

IAEA: Japan officials say Tepco engineers have successfully laid new external power cable to No. 2 reactor at Fukushima plant .Tepco plans to reconnect power at No. 2 unit after they finish efforts to spray water on No. 3 reactor unit. |
5:42:51 PM5:42 PM

reuters

Question - even if they managed to restore power to some parts of the plant , if the 2 fuel ponds they are concerned about cannot be topped up with water sufficiently (and that's looking unlikely), won't they reach a stage where the entire plant has to be abdandoned ? So it doesn't really matter what they can do at other parts of the site, the whole thing is screwed unless the fuel pond issue is remedied ?

As some professor from Imperial College noted, it can't be a simple electricity issue with the spent fuel ponds - they could have just used a generator to get the pumps going. But the water from the pumps has to go up pipes to reach the rooftop...so it must be a case that the pipes are wrecked. And I don't suppose you can easily install new pipes either....
edit on 17/3/11 by cosmicpixie because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Bicent76

Remember the tsunami death count exceeded 5,000 deaths and thousands more missing. I believe this one incident has surpassed the total nuclear powerplant meltdown exposure deaths in history.(if I am wrong then sorry, I do not feel like researching the info right now) So to me this is not bigger than to the tsunami. The nuclear accident or however you want to say it, only eclipsed the tsunami because of the media and the non stop bombardment of conflicting information.

However, I am concerned and this is why I have been following this thread.

link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Oh my !!! is this a valid site ???

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
America stay inside prepare now i am 99% positive you have had small doses up to 235 not enough to hurt sorry dont know the unit presume it cpm very small amount of time in very small areas if this info correct its gone a long way in i am seriously concerned expect earthquakes usa/ canada california-alaska and eventually a big wet youll have 48hrs at my guess b4 media reports it do you have a nuclear power plant in canada?theres a pattern to all this but not sure what nothing to back up yet to in depth will check out more now and post again.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
if i want to send some un contaminated food or clothes to a random needy person or family in the areas affect where do i sign up or come in contact with persons or agency who can direct me to a needy person ?

since its a gift it wont be taxed

all i want to do is help
edit on 17-3-2011 by zerbot565 because: spelling bee

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

You are right, but if you get the run, you lose alot of water, and will have to drink more.
So that might bite back, but still a solution.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Just remember, when they tell you these are "safe" levels of radiation, those numbers come out of the nuclear power industry and the government, many of whom used to work for nuclear power interests. GE, the manufacturer of the reactors, for example, owns NBC.
Believe what you will, but remember; there was a reason you signed up on ATS.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lardo5150

Ah, the true fear-mongers are finally coming out in force!

First off, he is correct a simple Geiger counter is not enough to detect all the different types of radiation. Geiger counters typically measure either gamma radiation or ionizing radiation (radioactive particles that have an electric charge like beta)... sometimes both. A typical Geiger counter will not measure alpha radiation effectively nor neutron radiation.

Incidentally tritium is neutron radiation absorbed by water, as is deuterium. Dangerous, yes, but it can't just appear; it needs a transport mechanism capable of crossing the Pacific ocean without being rained out into that ocean... the only one I know of is the Jet Stream.

Plutonium in a reactor, MOX reactor included, can not explode like an atomic bomb! It is physically impossible. Even the huge explosions we have seen were not nuclear explosions; they were simple hydrogen explosions that happened in a high-radiation area, just like the infamous 'dirty bomb'. There will not, under any circumstances, be a nuclear explosion in Japan!

Meltdown is the worst-case scenario in any nuclear event. It simply doesn't get any worse, and that is good. Meltdowns are very bad things.

The saving grace of this catastrophe is that there has been little if any radioactive particles shot up into the Jet Stream. That is what happened at Chernobyl to cause the widespread damage, and that is why I was earlier watching closely for a massive superheated steam release. It never happened, and if the military will stop playing rescue ranger, it will not happen now. The devastation will be major, catastrophic, apocalyptic even, but will be primarily in Japan. Effects elsewhere will be minimal at worst, nonexistent at best.

If any radiation reaches the US tomorrow, it will be dispersed iodine-131 (8 day half-life, so well into its decay cycle) or cesium (relatively low-intensity radiation isotope). It will not be neutron radiation or plutonium.

'Prompt fission', incidentally, only happens in highly-enriched (95%) plutonium... nuclear plants use enrichment of less than 20%.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

I know I said I would quit posting, but as far as the info. I have $30 dollars to throw in on a geiger counter. Lets get a pool going and a member to monitor the stuation. Lets put our money where our mouth is and do something about it.

We have alot of west coast members. I believe that I have seen threads on people on ATS buying geiger counters. Where are they? The goverment is not the only ones that can gather information.

But, I figure this will go nowhere because people want the fear mongering. It is addicting. If we were to find out very little or no significant change then everybody would be disappointed.

I GOT $30 ON IT.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Totally----that's why I say definitely let it air out for 24 hours or until there is no more bleach smell. All is good after that!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by asset921vector4
America stay inside prepare now i am 99% positive you have had small doses up to 235 not enough to hurt sorry dont know the unit presume it cpm very small amount of time in very small areas if this info correct its gone a long way in i am seriously concerned expect earthquakes usa/ canada california-alaska and eventually a big wet youll have 48hrs at my guess b4 media reports it do you have a nuclear power plant in canada?theres a pattern to all this but not sure what nothing to back up yet to in depth will check out more now and post again.

There are three nuke stations close by in Seattle (about 140km - 200km). In Canada we use Hydro power mostly (16 of our 18 reactors are in Ontario). *Hydro power takes power from dams and runs turbines

In your estimates are adequately ranking upward for the MOX fuel? Apparently, I read somewhere else on this thread it is 2 million times more radioactive than Uranium. Perhaps someone can confirm this?

Ah... I just read Redneck's response. Thank you! I think you answered my concerns
God bless you.
edit on 17-3-2011 by Wertwog because: Redneck Rocks!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by lardo5150

Ah, the true fear-mongers are finally coming out in force!

First off, he is correct a simple Geiger counter is not enough to detect all the different types of radiation. Geiger counters typically measure either gamma radiation or ionizing radiation (radioactive particles that have an electric charge like beta)... sometimes both. A typical Geiger counter will not measure alpha radiation effectively nor neutron radiation.

Incidentally tritium is neutron radiation absorbed by water, as is deuterium. Dangerous, yes, but it can't just appear; it needs a transport mechanism capable of crossing the Pacific ocean without being rained out into that ocean... the only one I know of is the Jet Stream.

Plutonium in a reactor, MOX reactor included, can not explode like an atomic bomb! It is physically impossible. Even the huge explosions we have seen were not nuclear explosions; they were simple hydrogen explosions that happened in a high-radiation area, just like the infamous 'dirty bomb'. There will not, under any circumstances, be a nuclear explosion in Japan!

Meltdown is the worst-case scenario in any nuclear event. It simply doesn't get any worse, and that is good. Meltdowns are very bad things.

The saving grace of this catastrophe is that there has been little if any radioactive particles shot up into the Jet Stream. That is what happened at Chernobyl to cause the widespread damage, and that is why I was earlier watching closely for a massive superheated steam release. It never happened, and if the military will stop playing rescue ranger, it will not happen now. The devastation will be major, catastrophic, apocalyptic even, but will be primarily in Japan. Effects elsewhere will be minimal at worst, nonexistent at best.

If any radiation reaches the US tomorrow, it will be dispersed iodine-131 (8 day half-life, so well into its decay cycle) or cesium (relatively low-intensity radiation isotope). It will not be neutron radiation or plutonium.

'Prompt fission', incidentally, only happens in highly-enriched (95%) plutonium... nuclear plants use enrichment of less than 20%.

TheRedneck

Thanks Redneck, kind of what I thought.

new topics

top topics

<< 179  180  181    183  184  185 >>

join