It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 178.htm
<< 175  176  177    179  180  181 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

The latest NISA report: Water levels in reactors 1, 2 and 3 indicate that the fuel rods in all three reactors are only partially covered with water.

Man, I am grateful for your input on this issue Redneck! I was wondering something about the above statement coming from Reuters and posted by Erasurehead. The article states that water levels indicate that the rods are partially covered.

I am imagining the exposed portion of the rods as glowing bright red while the submerged portion of the rods furiously evaporates the liquid around them. Is this imagery that I've conjured accurate? To me it seems like it is worse to have them partially covered.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styrge
Three days strictly inside after significant fallout.

Not so bad in US but why not be sure?

OK, 3 days may not be possible however, I really think that geologist who predicted the big quake of 89 was onto something with the tidal forces at their highest, and JohnnyAnonymous has a thread about this, he's hoping people will report animal abnormalities and also, if they can video anything. That is due Saturday, with Sunday being involved too because its the full moon, with the moon being at its closest until 2016, ie. seismic activity, and it may explain the over 40 dead washed up dolphins in the Gulf.

Not trying to add extra worries, but its important to keep alert. The strange things that have been happening are not normal. Also Elenin itself is bigger than they say, from what I can gather and that changes a lot of their estimations. And yes, I do think there is a significant connection.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I suggest that the reason we are getting little to no information is due to the fact that there are people taped within their homes. Can you imagine the desperation that knowing could bring on? Most people will apply only knee jerk reactions to any truth, but people require spoon feedings. The powers count on our laziness.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Agreed. Those on the West coast of the US and Canada don't worry too much. There will only be low levels detected it will not be dangerous. There is no need to tape up your doors and windows.

The real danger will be to those in Northern Japan.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

Canada, unless something majorly drastic occurs, is not going to see exposure levels anywhere near 1 Sv. If you are exposed to that level of radiation for some time, barricading your house with tape isn't going to make much of a difference anyway. All tape will do is keep some of the particles out. The real danger comes from the gamma rays, which are released directly and through particle decay, and will pass right through the walls.

Japan may see 1 Sv levels or even much higher in areas, but those will be confined to Japan.

TheRedneck

OK, I thought the Gamma rays were only going to be released closer to Japan. But if that is true, why would Russia be evacuating their islands?

Also, aren't we talking the possibly of plutonium particles?

www.abovetopsecret.com...
JohnnyAnonymous's thread
edit on 17-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Russia is evacuating their islands? I did not hear about that.
Is there a link?

edit on 3/17/2011 by Erasurehead because: spelling bad today

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Radiation hinders Japanese efforts to cool nuclear reactor

Mar 17, 2011, 16:12 GMT

Radiation measured 3,754 millisievert per hour after the helicopter operation, compared with 3,782 millisievert before, public broadcaster NHK reported. Levels of 1,000 millisievert can cause radiation poisoning.

Defence Minister Toshimi Kitazawa said on Thursday that the radiation level had lowered to 4.13 millisievert at an altitude of 300 metres and 87.7 millisievert at 90 metres.

Status of Fukushima #1 power station as of 21:30, March 17, 2011
“Operation for filling the pool with water at unit-3”
pdf

Status of Fukushima #1 power station as of 21:30, March 17, 2011
“Operation for filling the pool with water at unit-3”

* 1st operation
Japan Self-Defense Forces dropped 4 huge buckets of seawater from helicopters
in this morning. Lead plates were installed at the bottom of the helicopters to
shield radiation and crew members wore radiation protection suits.
* 2nd operation
The National Police Agency tried to pour water from the ground with pumper
truck in the evening. However, they were not able to come close because of high
radiation and water did not reach the pool.
* 3rd operation
Japan Self-Defense Forces poured 30 tons of water from the ground with 5
special pumper trucks from 19:45 to 20:09. Because these trucks are special, they
were able to do this operation without getting off the trucks. Effect of this
operation is under evaluation

edit on 3/17/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The Japanese media has stopped reporting after the last explosion and has restricted youtube. Here is one of the last videos to be posted from Japan.

www.youtube.com...

I would have made a new thread but I don't have enough posts. Feel free to make a thread based on this news if you think it warrants a new thread.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Just a heads up -

[12:35 p.m. ET Thursday, 1:35 a.m. Friday in Tokyo] U.S. President Barack Obama is expected to deliver a statement on Japan in the White House Rose Garden at 3:30 p.m. ET.

Source

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by STL0913

Hey St. Louis, from there myself, can't wait to get home. Welcome aboard.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Breaking news on Sky News is that all the U.S and U.K Search teams are to be pulled out of Japan tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by psychosilocybin
reply to post by ceekay

I apologize for the sexist remark. I should have said don't ever tell someone who is too hard-wired into the Matrix about SHTF scenarios and the truth behind this disaster.

I had a bad experience as well. On Saturday, I drove 80mph to the only store in the Dallas/FT Worth Metroplex that still had potassium iodide in stock. My girlfriend freaked out and started crying. She doesn't want to hear any of this...not even turn on the local news. I learned my lesson...I buy my canned food, my HAZMAT suit, and my ammunition in secret and just store it away. She's happy, and I feel better that I'm prepared.

Hey don't worry about it

I think we're all feeling weird about the situation, I have even picked out a place in my house that would serve as a shelter. My other half would rather shove his head in the sand and hope for the best! I'm sure he'd do well working for the government!
I just want to learn what I can, keep my ears and eyes open, and keep my kids safe in all of this.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I've been following this thread from the get go, excellent contributions for a number of you and for that i am grateful.

I can't remember who first brought it up, but that documentary on the chernobyl disaster was an excellent source to provide a perspective of just how difficult it can be to deal with a situation like this. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

In watching that documentary, the initial responders to the scene were firefighters who were trying to extinguish the radioactive graphite burn with normal water, they of course failed and all the initial responders ended up dieing, however they also created an unintended problem later on. The water that they had dumped on the site ended up pooling beneath the concrete containment floor beneath the reactor. Once the melted core had eaten through its containment and settled on the concrete containment floor, the nuclear experts were extremely concerned about the molton fuel seeping through any cracks or weaknesses in the concrete containment and reaching the standing water below.

On the documentary they theorized that it the melted uranium reached that pool of water, that there would have been an explosion 100 times the size of Hiroshima and would have rendered the entirety of Europe and much of Russia as uninhabitable. The true danger presented by that disaster was hidden from the world for 20 YEARS AFTER THE INCIDENT. Even though they were able to avoid this horrible senario, they still did not tell the world how close they had gotten to an unimaginable disaster.

At Chernobyl the initial concrete containment was comprimised. They used 500,000 men, a fleet of helocopters and a lot of largescale machinary to dump tons of sand and lead into the reactor breach to dampen the radiation, they had to dig under the reactor to pump out the standing water beneath the concrete containment before the uranium seeped through and then had a team of miners dig out a large cavity beneath the original concrete containment so that they could pour in a new underground concrete containment to stop the molton mixture from reaching the water table. While at the same time clearing and burying contaminated soil from the immediate vicinity and building a sacophagus around the ONE reactor that had gone critical. It took seven months to do this working at a site were the radiation levels were so high that workers could only work for at most a few minutes at a time. It was a nightmare.

It seems to me that by just dumping water over this nuclear site, they may well be creating a new nightmare. If that water pools underneath the reactors, and the core meltdown does indeed breach the containment vessels. Are we not at risk of a MASSIVE explosion at that sight, similar to the one that they feared at Chernobyl? With the sheer ammount of spent fuel rods and SIX reactors on site, would this senario not dwarf the impact made by Chernobyl?

Am I wrong here to perceive that they are making bad situation worse by dousing the entire area with water?

Soul
edit on 17-3-2011 by SoulReaper because: Fixed some grammer errors

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by STL0913

I'm on it!!! I will start a Thread if it has already not been done - I will also plaster my facebook and start a chain reaction. Thank you for the video. So Very Sad and that is not the proper descriptive word.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by STL0913

What last explosion? There wasn't any today.
Are you trying to spread panic ?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
Just a heads up -

[12:35 p.m. ET Thursday, 1:35 a.m. Friday in Tokyo] U.S. President Barack Obama is expected to deliver a statement on Japan in the White House Rose Garden at 3:30 p.m. ET.

Source

The messiah is going to finally come down and speak to we the people!

AWESOME NEWS!!!

I think he has been in rio for a while, maybe he can give us some 411

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by monica86

I am not sure of an explosion today - we are not getting much of any news - In addition, the guy in the video says 11 reactors? I don't think it is about causing panic. Imagine how you would feel if you were in his shoes?

link   

The end result of all radiation is gamma rays. What happens is that there are three basic types of radiation: energetic particles (alpha, beta, neutron emissions); radioactive isotopes (iodine-131, cesium-135, cesium-137); and gamma rays, that are produced during decay. The gamma radiation directly produced is limited to the site of the production... once they expend their energy on contact with a substance, they are done.

Particles last longer, however, and can travel. Neutron radiation, for instance, tends to last for a while and embeds itself in the water molecule by converting the regular hydrogen in water into energetic deuterium. It's still water, still acts like water, still looks like water, but it contains an energetic particle that is spewing gamma rays.

Radioactive isotopes also can travel. The brownish cloud those of us from the days of the Cold War can remember hearing about, for example, is iodine-131. This is an intermediate step in the decay process. Think of it as uranium that is only partially finished radiating (not accurate, really, but a good visualization tool). Isotopes will continue to decay (split apart) even though they may be long distances from the source of the radiation, carried there by wind, currents, or dissipation. As they decay, they will also release gamma rays and particles, sometimes smaller isotopes. Some of these are dangerous, releasing a lot of energy (iodine-131, plutonium); some are not, releasing only a small amount of energy(cesium-135). Some will continue to release energy for a long, long time (2.3 million years half-life for cesium-135, if I am remembering right); some will decay pretty quickly (8 days half-life for iodine-131).

(Half-life is the time it takes for half of the isotopes in a sample to decay... the decay rate is logarithmic, not linear.)

You can see some isotopes, since they are simply elements; you cannot see particles or gamma rays, which are the real danger. Gamma rays are very similar to what is produced in a microwave.

Eventually, all the isotopes will become plain old lead, all the particles will lose their excess energy in gamma rays, and all the gamma rays will be converted into plain old heat.

Hope that clears things up some for you.

TheRedneck

link   

Originally posted by hillynilly

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
Just a heads up -

Source

The messiah is going to finally come down and speak to we the people!

AWESOME NEWS!!!

I think he has been in rio for a while, maybe he can give us some 411

He is nice and rested now and he has his bracket filled. I'm anxious to hear him read his script. What a jip!
edit on 17-3-2011 by Digital_Reality because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by STL0913
The Japanese media has stopped reporting after the last explosion and has restricted youtube. Here is one of the last videos to be posted from Japan.

www.youtube.com...

I would have made a new thread but I don't have enough posts. Feel free to make a thread based on this news if you think it warrants a new thread.

There is actually a thread on it already
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The military has blocked access to 13 or more sites to restrict bandwidth levels.
As I know it was just internal... Did not know it was a broad access block..

new topics

top topics

<< 175  176  177    179  180  181 >>

join